HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Marchand will not be sanctioned for his hit

Old
02-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
This is what Gauthier does not understand.

This is what the fans of Gauthier do not understand.

The NHL is inconsistent. Marchand's hit was technically illegal. It was a gutless play. Not responding to the Marchand hit by the Canadiens was equally as gutless.

Its a damned shame to watch things like that happen. The Canadiens cannot allow **** like this to happen and need to take care of business on the ice and tell the NHL and Shanahan to go **** themselves.

White cannot fight every player on every team. He needs help.

Until then, get used to seeing Marchand trying to injure Emelin and then in the 3rd, beat down on one of our best players.....Cole.....without anyone doing anything about it.

Pathetic. And gutless on Gauthier's part for allowing this to happen.
As much as I agree that we should respond when our guys get cheap shotted, we've seen PK with the slew foot too... This kind of crap is unfortunately going to happen all the time man. You can't have WWIII everytime it does.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Catch-22

And if you don't think the hit was that bad or dirty, you've probably never been clipped before. Clipping officially became a penalty after Darcy Tucker essentially ended Michael Pecca's career (at least the healthy part of it) with a low forward motion hip check to the knee. Just ask Markov how vulnerable the knee is. Clipping is an extremely dangerous play because of the mechanics and vulnerability of the joint. Salo was lucky he had only a head injury, and not a knee injury.

I hope Shanahan has written down what Vigneault said after the Salo hit:

"Marchand -- and this is just my feeling -- but someday he's going to get it. Someday, someone's going to say 'enough is enough' and they're going to hurt the kid because he plays to hurt players. And if the league doesn't care, somebody else will."

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Bullsmith

To me this is like letting Matt Cooke get away with a head shot just because he didn't connect properly. A fine or a 1 gamer should've come down to keep his "repeat offender" status active. A fine was the easy answer IMO. The guy goes way too low way too often and it's despicable. He does it at the last minute and not just when other people are trying to hit him. It's pure scumbaggery, no place for it. This particular one wasn't effective, true, but it was pretty egregious in terms of intent. Emelin's motionless and preparing to get hit, Marchand goes under him. It's the kind of play you never see normally, but if he gets away with it he'll keep doing it. Others will do it, why not, sure helps take away a size difference.

In terms of reffing and league discipline, the league's in the worst shape it's been since before Gretzky. It's pathetic how little respect there is for the rules. Julien exploits it the most, but IMO it's coming from the league. The fish rots from the head.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Catch-22

Marchand's clip was the textbook definition, not to mention in the offensive zone as the period was ending, when there was absolutely no prospect of a play developing. It was an obvious attempt to injure by a repeat offender.

By condoning this type of cheap shot the bottom line is that the NHL is underscoring why teams need to take policing matters into their own hands. Essentially, cut your opponents knees off before they do it to you. Or if they do it to you first, make sure the consequences are worse.

I hate to celebrate an injury but Gill's (incidental?) knee-to-knee on Peverley? #paybacksab-tch

The only good news to come out of this is at least the Habs seemed to have learned from the NHL's decision not to suspend Chara for breaking Pacioretty's neck. Hopefully we will now get a big defense partner for Emelin to end the career of the next player who decides to try and injure him. Or perhaps Emelin will do it himself and mangle Thornton's knees so badly the guy won't even be able to drive a bus, which is probably all he's good for when his career's over.

Welcome to Brendan Shanahan's NHL.

Old
02-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Mad Habber

Why is anyone surprised. Bruins vs Habs. Smeagol vs Molson. The Boston owner, Smeagol bought and paid for this protection from the Buttman and the Colon last year. I guess that payment was for more than 1 year. And that payment even included our precious.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
We may have to wait for our tough smurf Gallagher to beat him up. Bruins can't complain about a midget pounding on Marchand can they
They did when Cammalleri fought Krejci. #noescape

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Shanahan on the Marchand-Salo hit:

"We feel this was a predatory low hit delivered intentionally by Marchand in order to flip his opponent over him. [..] To be clear, we do not consider this to be a defensive act where there were no other options available to Marchand. [...] It's important to note that we've taken into account that Salo suffered a concussion as a result of the hit. [...]

Key points:
Not instinctive, defensive or evasive;
clipping;
injury;
repeat offender
"

Everything above apply to this hit on Emelin, except the injury part. So it's clear that stupid league looks at consequence, not only at the nature of the act itself.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

... Shanny still undecided on sanctioning Iran.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 04:27 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Good call by Shanny it wasn't a suspension worthy hit some of you guys are WAYYYYYYY over reacting.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 04:30 PM
SlipperyPete

I find it interesting that people say the NHL only punishes the result. This maybe true most of the time, unfortunately that wasn't the case when Chara decided to take out his rage on Patches. I guess Habs get the short end of the stick no matter what.

That said, I don't know if this was suspendable. The action by itself probably wasn't. However, if I'm Shanahan and I've suspended someone for a dangerous play, and that player comes out immediately and says he isn't going to change the way he plays, and then makes a very similar dangerous play - my response is going to be a little stronger than simply saying "I don't like it".

SlipperyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 04:33 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Good call by Shanny it wasn't a suspension worthy hit some of you guys are WAYYYYYYY over reacting.
This. Marchand might be a dirty player but he was going for the hip and not for the knees. It was interference at most, but I feel he got clipping by reputation. The fact that he missed his check made Emelin fall awkwardly. Marchand needs to learn though.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I don't think people are overreacting. People are just fed up with the inconsistency.
Just like if someone throws a gentle light elbow that clips the face without causing much injury, as opposed to going full on speed with the elbow high and taking someone's head off. I don't think there is a difference in either case. Both are elbows out, directed to the head. The act should be punishable, not the outcome of it.
You stick your elbow out to clip someone's head, suspended. Simple.

Same thing should apply here. You duck to clip the knees of a player, then you get suspended. It's dangerous and it's stupid. Not to mention, he got suspended for the exact same thing not too long ago. Because he was going slow he didn't injure Emelin, so the act becomes okay? That's retarded.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 04:49 PM
torped929

Sorry to rain on your MANIAC PARADE but it's a hip check no different than this one
http://youtu.be/WeTF3spXrM0

torped929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by torped929 View Post
Sorry to rain on your MANIAC PARADE but it's a hip check no different than this one
Yeah, exactly the same hit. No difference at all. Except for the fact one is a clean hockey play hip check and the other's a dirtbag cheapshot attempt to clip. Otherwise they're identical.

Only 5 posts and you're already this persuasive? Impressive.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by torped929 View Post
Hmmm..
You can't possibly be serious.

In one instance, the player is coming towards the defender. The defenseman sizes him up against the board perfectly hits the hips.

In the Marchand one, he's the one skating towards Emelin and delivering the hit. So, already that's different.

Here's a reminder for you because you really don't remember the hit.

That's a clip, no question about it. If you don't see a difference then you just don't understand the difference between a clip and a hip check.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think people are overreacting. People are just fed up with the inconsistency.
Just like if someone throws a gentle light elbow that clips the face without causing much injury, as opposed to going full on speed with the elbow high and taking someone's head off. I don't think there is a difference in either case. Both are elbows out, directed to the head. The act should be punishable, not the outcome of it.
You stick your elbow out to clip someone's head, suspended. Simple.

Same thing should apply here. You duck to clip the knees of a player, then you get suspended. It's dangerous and it's stupid. Not to mention, he got suspended for the exact same thing not too long ago. Because he was going slow he didn't injure Emelin, so the act becomes okay? That's retarded.
Good post. You actually explained exactly why the NHL is so inconsistent. It's because they often look at the victim of the hit to determine whether the offending player is guilty. So you end up with illegal hits resulting in long suspensions, and similar hits going completely unpenalized. Then you have legal hits being left alone as they should and similar legal hits resulting in long suspensions (Rome on Horton). It's no wonder players have no idea what's going on. How can they know the full extent of the damage they're going to cause? It could depend on which inch of your opponent's body you hit at a closing speed of 60km/h. (I used the word 'often' deliberately because there is the occasional case when an illegal play results in a significant injury and there is inexplicably no supplementary discipline. The hit on Seabrook last playoffs, for example and, of course, Chara's hit on Pacioretty. These defy any reasoning, are not consistent with judgments before or since, and thereby appear completely arbitrary.)

The way to solve this isso simple I guess they just haven't thought of it yet:

Evaluate a play on its own merits. An illegal play is an illegal play. Prior record and injury to the opponent should be used more as secondary considerations that help to determine the severity of the penalty, not whether the player is guilty in the first place. If you do that, you end up with a consistent scaled system (unless you have idiots running these things, which I am not ruling out). Suspend illegal plays, and make the length of the suspension relative to (and not the same as) the injury. Don't suspend legal plays, even if there is an injury. Very very simple.

Old
02-16-2012, 05:11 PM
sheed36

I didn't expect it to be suspension worthy even though it was still a cheap hit by the Nose..

That Gill kneeing thread on the mainboard is a real gem though..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:11 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Bad idea. Then thornton, mcquaid, lucic etc. could have gone after Subban. You don't send fighters after non-fighters. Especially not when the other team has about 5x as many fighters as you do.
Surrender!!!!!! Wave the white flag. PLEASE dont hit me. I promise I wont do anything bad back even if you do hit me.

Even though Marchand got away with no one fighting him, he still went after Cole in the 3rd Period. Did you happen to see that?

Surely Marchand SHOULD NOT have done that to Cole since we were so polite to him after he went after Emelin.

Do you remember last year when Thornton went after Hamrlik, Boychuk went after Spacek and Campbell took on Pyatt? Why did they do that?

I cannot nor do not want to understand and accept this mindset. Not in hockey, not in real life.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:13 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

IMO he doesn't do it on purpose. he just has this uncontrollable reaction to turtle. i'm not even joking. he even did it on the subban collision to an extent. this is just what he does. he **** his pants when he saw he was gonna run into emelin and ducked for cover.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Belso

Marchand will have to keep his head up because Emelin is learning the players in the NHL. He's going to remember what Marchand did to him and if you think he's not going to destroy him the next time he has a chance, he will. Marchand better not make one mistake cause he's going to get his... Emelin's not going to goon him or break a stick over his head but he will do the same to him and go low...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Bad idea. Then thornton, mcquaid, lucic etc. could have gone after Subban. You don't send fighters after non-fighters. Especially not when the other team has about 5x as many fighters as you do.
Yeah umm... I dont like this mentality... Are you saying we should be afraid of them? Marchand is a punk, a cheapshotter, anyone can beat the crap out of him even if he's not a fighter.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post
IMO he doesn't do it on purpose. he just has this uncontrollable reaction to turtle. i'm not even joking. he even did it on the subban collision to an extent. this is just what he does. he **** his pants when he saw he was gonna run into emelin and ducked for cover.
The Subban hit/turtle was reaction. This was planned ahead of time though, he came in forward toward Emelin, who was standing still, and ducked at the last minutes while Emelin was preparing himself to be checked like a man.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:33 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

nah, emelin just has to go boom like he always does. nothing better than destroying someone cleanly. no one can say ****, other than "dayyyyyuummm"

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post
nah, emelin just has to go boom like he always does. nothing better than destroying someone cleanly. no one can say ****, other than "dayyyyyuummm"
Thing is, he can't do that alone all the time. At some point, he's gonna be THE target of other teams. This will take its toll.

Ruins' Lucic (in a previous game), Thornton and Marchand gave it to Emelin. Wimpy Habs didn't do anything to Marchand after the Emelin hit. I'm not even asking that someone go fight Marchand right after that dirty hit. But give a big freak good check during the game, damn it.

There's one thing I don't like about Plek is that he's too nice... to put it nicely.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:52 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
This is what Gauthier does not understand.

This is what the fans of Gauthier do not understand.

The NHL is inconsistent. Marchand's hit was technically illegal. It was a gutless play. Not responding to the Marchand hit by the Canadiens was equally as gutless.

Its a damned shame to watch things like that happen. The Canadiens cannot allow **** like this to happen and need to take care of business on the ice and tell the NHL and Shanahan to go **** themselves.

White cannot fight every player on every team. He needs help.

Until then, get used to seeing Marchand trying to injure Emelin and then in the 3rd, beat down on one of our best players.....Cole.....without anyone doing anything about it.

Pathetic. And gutless on Gauthier's part for allowing this to happen.
Someone who gets it.

Subban has been a marked man for how long? Even a broken neck wasn't enough for Gauthier to realize this team needs muscle (that can play of course). I was more angry at the fact that not a single Hab did anything after the hit. All they did was skate off the ice and dropped a couple curse words. The only guy who actually tried to rock Marchand in the 3rd was PK..that was it.

So tired of seeing Price, Subban, etc... get run and not a single player doing anything. White brings a nice dimension, but it's not enough. Buffalo had to have a closed door meeting when they did nothing after the Miller/Lucic incident. Probably ruined their season. Then you look at the Canucks who got physically destroyed against the Bruins.

I like how the Habs played. A lot of physicality. Loved seeing that. But there's still room for improvement.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote