HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Out of tri-state Rangers fans

Old
02-16-2012, 06:35 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 500
I'm in Scotland, I used to have espn 360 but this year i haven't been able to see as many games so i just watch from any stream thats available. The games i miss i will watch the highlights on NHL.com.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

you can go thru the trouble of doing the address change.

Or, order Directv. 2 days later, call up and ask to speak to their customer retention dept. Give them a laundry list of stuff Dish will do for you to switch, DTV practically throws stuff your way w/o even having to ask for it.

Hell, you can do it when signing up,

ask for free sports pack, free hd, and free DVR. they did all that for me.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:54 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

But they're not going to give you NHL CI for free...

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:59 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post
But they're not going to give you NHL CI for free...
nope.

not gonna happen.

youll have to pay for it. and, if youre a ranger fan living out of the state, TOTALLY, TOTALLY, worth every single red cent.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:43 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I'm curious which of our members are out of state and how you cope with being a Rangers fan. How do you get your Rangers fix?

Reason I ask this is there's a good chance that I'll be moving to Cali because of business.

I'm assuming obviously most of the out of staters have center ice and that's a must. Outside of that how do you get your fix? I'm afraid I won't be able to experience my Rangers the same way being across the country but maybe it's not that bad and i'm overreacting.
It's not that bad, here's my suggestion. I moved down south at the start of the season, and kind of floated for a few months before settling down. I didn't miss a beat watching games, I used an online free stream. I had time warner for a bit, but then just switched to directv this morning.

With directv you don't miss anything in terms of television coverage. If you buy the sports pack, you get MSG, MSG+, etc, etc, every local sports channel in the country pretty much. NHL games are blacked out, so you have to buy center ice. Today I watched the pre-game on MSG, then center ice, then post-game on MSG. Nothing is different. And last I checked, internet works everywhere. Only thing I miss out on is going to games. I've gone to a single game all year the garden, and it's usually about a dozen. Getting a text every game from a buddy who's at the garden sucks and makes you jealous. It's no problem to move out these days and follow the team. Just make sure you get directv, that way you have outside the game coverage on MSG, and digital cable carriers don't carry center ice MSG in high def yet.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 05:41 AM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
I live in LA and Time Warner is actually worse in LA than New York, if you can imagine that. They are the worst company I've ever dealt with. And they have a monopoly over the city (for high speed internet at least). They frequently automated call me at 6am a week before my bill is even due. There are constant outages, terrible customer service, endless junk mail trying to get me to upgrade service. I've never hated a company more in my life. Get DirecTV. Don't even think about Time Warner. I can't wait until I have another option for cable internet. I would love nothing more than to stop giving them money.

Personally, I pay $20 a month for gamecenter live and watch games on my tv through apple TV. Nice to ALWAYS have access to the MSG feed. Picture looks great. Almost never skips or stalls (unlike NBA league pass on apple tv). I really don't have any use for TV outside of sports so I just watch kind of crappy internet streams when games are on nbc sports network or nhl network. I pick up the nbc games over the air with an antenna. My building won't let me put up a dish for DirecTV and I refuse to give Time Warner another 40 or 50 bucks a month for the few games i don't get on gamecenter live.

Gonna have to go to some bars for the playoffs I guess. If you're in Glendale there's plenty of good bars to watch from. Just don't expect to find many legit hockey bars here.

Biggest difference about watching Ranger games from the west coast is obviously the time difference. If you work from home or have a flexible schedule it's great to watch games at 4 and have the rest of the night free after 7. For most people though, you're not getting out of work until an hour into the game and traffic can suck here.

Last edited by RegalRangers: 02-17-2012 at 05:47 AM.
RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:02 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

So If I go with the direct tv option along with center ice and the premium sports package, I'm not guaranteed to have the MSG feed, correct?

Then there's the game center live option that can sometimes stutter and freeze.

Outside of that there really are no other options. The time difference won't be an issue because I'll be working in an office environment and will have access to a TV in there so I can watch the games there then go home. Otherwise, DVR will do. So that settles that issue.

Now I'm just torn about which to go with. Game center live or center ice. I'd like the games to be in HD and would like to have the MSG feed. I'm leaning the center ice package with the premium sports package on direct tv, but im not guaranteed the msg feed or HD , correct?

Oh and center ice does show all playoff games, correct!?!?!? I'm hoping with decent post game too..

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:07 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

live in SF. i just use streams which will go unnamed; sometimes watching at work on the background, looking up when a goal is scored or the announcer's rising exciting draws me in.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:26 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
So If I go with the direct tv option along with center ice and the premium sports package, I'm not guaranteed to have the MSG feed, correct?

Then there's the game center live option that can sometimes stutter and freeze.

Outside of that there really are no other options. The time difference won't be an issue because I'll be working in an office environment and will have access to a TV in there so I can watch the games there then go home. Otherwise, DVR will do. So that settles that issue.

Now I'm just torn about which to go with. Game center live or center ice. I'd like the games to be in HD and would like to have the MSG feed. I'm leaning the center ice package with the premium sports package on direct tv, but im not guaranteed the msg feed or HD , correct?

Oh and center ice does show all playoff games, correct!?!?!? I'm hoping with decent post game too..
I think you should go with direct tv and the sports package. That is the best way to get the most coverage if you really want post and pre game stuff. That isn't as important to me so I don't miss it with gamecenter. Id say about 99%the of the time you will get the msg feed. Honestly the only reason I dropped directtv is because every time the weather got a little bad I would lose the signal, but I think it had to do with a tree in the back yard causing problems. One time after a windstorm I lost all my higher channels, called them and the guy they sent out blamed it on the tree. When I told him it coincided with the 50mph winds and that the tree didn't suddenly bloom overnight and I wanted my dish realigned he finally reluctantly agreed to go on the roof to check it out. After he fixed it he said he really just didn't want to go on the roof. After I reminded him about what his job description was, I called his manager.

Anyway, after the last time I lost signal due to the weather I decided I had enough, looked at the cost and figured I would be saving more and getting more with fios. The only thing I really miss is all the sports hd. Too bad I can't trade some of the worthless hd channels that I never watch for sports in hd. Still not sure what I am going to do for baseball season.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:50 AM
zestystrat

NYC transplant here in Atlanta.

Go with DTV + sports pak + CI.

Basically like being in NY - NYR TV wise.

I also have the tunein app for my phone so I can hear the radio b'casts of the games if I'm away from the tv am not taping it and want to listen.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:07 AM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

DirecTV with CI and the sports pack guarantees you will get the MSG feed always unless your local team is playing the Rangers. In which case, you can still watch the MSG pre and post game but you will have to watch your local team's broadcast of the game. If you switch to an NY service address you will get all games regardless, including pre and post games without having to purchase the sports pack.

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:03 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
I think you should go with direct tv and the sports package. That is the best way to get the most coverage if you really want post and pre game stuff. That isn't as important to me so I don't miss it with gamecenter. Id say about 99%the of the time you will get the msg feed. Honestly the only reason I dropped directtv is because every time the weather got a little bad I would lose the signal, but I think it had to do with a tree in the back yard causing problems. One time after a windstorm I lost all my higher channels, called them and the guy they sent out blamed it on the tree. When I told him it coincided with the 50mph winds and that the tree didn't suddenly bloom overnight and I wanted my dish realigned he finally reluctantly agreed to go on the roof to check it out. After he fixed it he said he really just didn't want to go on the roof. After I reminded him about what his job description was, I called his manager.

Anyway, after the last time I lost signal due to the weather I decided I had enough, looked at the cost and figured I would be saving more and getting more with fios. The only thing I really miss is all the sports hd. Too bad I can't trade some of the worthless hd channels that I never watch for sports in hd. Still not sure what I am going to do for baseball season.
Gamecenter live includes playoffs correct? So If I pay that 79 I will get playoffs?

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Gamecenter live includes playoffs correct? So If I pay that 79 I will get playoffs?
If it's the same as Center Ice, which I'm pretty sure it is, you'll get the local coverage of the first two rounds.

After that, all of the games are on national TV.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 04:37 PM
In The Flesh

I'm in Milwaukee.

This was the first year I couldn't afford Center Ice since I got it after the lockout. It sucks because the one season I haven't watched more than 3 games they're 1st in the East.

There's a few Blackhawks fans scattered around, Red Wings too. But, hockey is a novelty here.

Last edited by In The Flesh: 02-25-2012 at 04:43 PM.
In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Robs789

South Florida here, born in Brooklyn.

Been going through the streams this season, not sure if i wanna spend the money on CI yet.

Robs789 is offline   Reply With Quote