HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Regular Season Non-Caps Thread (II)

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2012, 12:05 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Part of the reason Boudreau is winning is because he's been given permission to play run and gun hockey. I have to admit I'm discouraged when I see stuff like the Ducks being 13-3-3 since new years but I have to imagine that things wouldn't be much different if he were here.

Starting to look like McPhee is the problem and even though the trade deadline gives us hope we still have to realize that it gives us only a little over a month to reap the benefits.
This is what BB does, and good for him. I think the Ducks are too far gone, even with all the gains they've made, to make the POs this year, but who knows, lightning could strike twice, I guess.

McPhee has always been the root of the problem. He sucks at his job. But then, if not for him, Bruce might never have been coach here, which would make some posters here very sad.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:13 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i think the point is that many nhl coaches are disposable. there are some that are not and recognizing that is helpful. it could be that bruce boudreau is going to be the best coach available to the capitals for a long time to come and maybe they should have stuck it out with him.

how many coaches could nashville have gone thru by now had they been so inclined? how many would have been as good for them as trotz?
Maybe you're right. I don't know. Trotz's teams have hardly done better than the Caps in recent years, but the expectations were lower. If I were a Sabres fan, would I be satisfied with a decade of Ruff and nothing to show? Is that bad GMs then? Cheap/stupid owners? Fire the players?

Seems to me a successful team is a cocktail with a lot of ingredients - players, coaches, management, etc. Once you get the mix right, a la Detroit, you stick with it, but maybe until then, you have to tinker.

In any case, you all may be proved right. I may come to rue the day Boudreau left DC, but I don't right now, the Ducks recent success notwithstanding. As for Dale, so far not so good. He's got about a month to pull it out and I am not optimistic.

If this misery of a season is what is needed to get McPhee out of his job finally, then perhaps it will be worth it... depending upon who comes next.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:27 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Maybe you're right. I don't know. Trotz's teams have hardly done better than the Caps in recent years, but the expectations were lower. If I were a Sabres fan, would I be satisfied with a decade of Ruff and nothing to show? Is that bad GMs then? Cheap/stupid owners? Fire the players?

Seems to me a successful team is a cocktail with a lot of ingredients - players, coaches, management, etc. Once you get the mix right, a la Detroit, you stick with it, but maybe until then, you have to tinker.

In any case, you all may be proved right. I may come to rue the day Boudreau left DC, but I don't right now, the Ducks recent success notwithstanding. As for Dale, so far not so good. He's got about a month to pull it out and I am not optimistic.

If this misery of a season is what is needed to get McPhee out of his job finally, then perhaps it will be worth it... depending upon who comes next.
I think it may be a case where they're best shot with this "core" was with BB. SOB plus a cast of guys that grew up with BB's system carrying the majority of the workload.

As the turnover increases other coaches will be more and more effective and BB's effectiveness would have waned. Then it comes down to figuring out how to get the most out of Ovi.

Transition period could get ugly (uglier) though.

Old
02-16-2012, 01:09 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I think it may be a case where they're best shot with this "core" was with BB. SOB plus a cast of guys that grew up with BB's system carrying the majority of the workload.

As the turnover increases other coaches will be more and more effective and BB's effectiveness would have waned. Then it comes down to figuring out how to get the most out of Ovi.

Transition period could get ugly (uglier) though.
This I for sure agree with.

As for Ovi, I am clearly in the minority, but I am not wildly disappointed with his play of late.

I mostly think, as I've said, that he is holding back because of external pressures. The rock star stuff is believable, but they are not mutually exclusive problems. The more crap he gets from the league and the less support from team leaders, the less motivated he is. Judge that how you will, but that is what I see.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

I guess with healthy Backstrom we would now sit comfortable in the top-3 of the conference. Easily. And we would have another mood.

With Backstrom and Green - we would fight with the B and R for 1st seed.

Is there a good way to compare Ducks'/BB record with Caps/DH in these circumstances?

Old
02-16-2012, 02:36 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

New York and Boston both win on the road, which the Caps haven't done all year, Backstrom or no. And if Green was healthy all year, Bruce is still the coach, so I'm not sure what you're going for.

02-16-2012, 02:46 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Watch the Ducks make the playoffs...and him win the Jack Adams...again.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:55 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Watch the Ducks make the playoffs...and him win the Jack Adams...again.
Nah, it's Ken Hitchcock for sure this year.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:58 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Would get my vote, but I think Strung's right. If Anaheim makes it, he's almost a lock.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:59 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
BB will be a bigger story at the end of the year unless the Blues end up really high in the standings. Writers have short memories, so it's tough to say at this point.

Old
02-16-2012, 03:17 PM
txpd

yea...if the ducks make the playoffs it will be with another 07-08 caps like run which would be outragious and dim hitchcock's light a good bit

Old
02-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

Watch them win the cup, talk about total hf meltdown

Old
02-16-2012, 04:16 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of steel View Post
Watch them win the cup, talk about total hf meltdown
I'd probably get banned.

Old
02-16-2012, 06:10 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

HA HA HA NBTW.

I'm sure it would be mod heaven around here. But who would mod me and Warden!

The total topic I still think is too early. I'm rooting for BB. Cause of them passing the Avs and for him personally.

I think its too early to say BB was the right hire for the Ducks. And I think its still too early to think that DH is a failure. What BB has done again is remarkable. But without making the playoffs, the story needs to unfold next season to determine the success.

WRT Hunter.... I don't think you can look at BB's overall record here this year and DH's record and say they're equal, therefore its a failure. BB was 8-0 with a full squad of "young guns". He was like 2-8-2 or something without just one of them. DH is what??? About .500 or slightly over and has never had all 4. Heck he's been without 2 for a long long time.

This in uncharted territory for the Caps post rebuild and IMHO has nothing to do with either coaches (well you all know I think BB could have developed their overall games better)... It's all about the team, the man who built it, and us for buying into it. Yes BB system and the way he handled this team brought a lot of fun. But with any shortcuts or overachievement... things catch up to you and the fall is hard.

Old
02-16-2012, 06:15 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
HA HA HA NBTW.

I'm sure it would be mod heaven around here. But who would mod me and Warden!

The total topic I still think is too early. I'm rooting for BB. Cause of them passing the Avs and for him personally.

I think its too early to say BB was the right hire for the Ducks. And I think its still too early to think that DH is a failure. What BB has done again is remarkable. But without making the playoffs, the story needs to unfold next season to determine the success.

WRT Hunter.... I don't think you can look at BB's overall record here this year and DH's record and say they're equal, therefore its a failure. BB was 8-0 with a full squad of "young guns". He was like 2-8-2 or something without just one of them. DH is what??? About .500 or slightly over and has never had all 4. Heck he's been without 2 for a long long time.

This in uncharted territory for the Caps post rebuild and IMHO has nothing to do with either coaches (well you all know I think BB could have developed their overall games better)... It's all about the team, the man who built it, and us for buying into it. Yes BB system and the way he handled this team brought a lot of fun. But with any shortcuts or overachievement... things catch up to you and the fall is hard.
Good lord! What's that? A voice of reason? No wonder they made you a mod.

In all seriousness. This is very well said.

Old
02-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Capitlols

Dominic Moore to SJ for a 2nd.

Old
02-16-2012, 06:21 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
He would have fit in good here with the Caps.

The world is still waiting for you Dominic to destroy Bertuzzi...

Old
02-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
At least he won't dispatch the Caps this year.

Old
02-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Capitlols

Picks seem to be thrown around without much care. Seems like a good year to sell, if we didn't have delusions of grandeur.

Surprised Grossman got what he did and Moore netted Minny's 2nd.

Old
02-16-2012, 06:23 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

That pick is Minn. So not a bad return for Stevie Y.

Old
02-16-2012, 06:24 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
At least he won't dispatch the Caps this year.
Nah... the new Cap killer is now on the Panthers anyways.

Old
02-16-2012, 06:24 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
So which locker room is he in?

Old
02-16-2012, 06:27 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

nevermind

Last edited by californiacapsfan: 02-16-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old
02-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Are we talking about Jon Sim???

Old
02-16-2012, 06:29 PM
NeilYoung

Birons getting destroyed

Closed Thread