HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Wll Phil Housley become a hall of famer?

View Poll Results: Should Phil Housley be a hall of famer?
Yes 8 38.10%
No 13 61.90%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2006, 09:22 AM
Russian_fanatic

vCash: 500
Wll Phil Housley become a hall of famer?

I'M not saying he will, but what is YOUR opinion? Well he even though he had some pretty bad defensive lapses, he is the leading point getter for defenseman(I think), and american born players, and that it self is a pretty good feat. I say he is deserving.

Old
01-16-2006, 09:30 AM
PACaptain

I say no. Too one dimensional. Have not looked over his offensive numbers but I just remember how brutal he was defensively. Good player but not a Hall of Famer.

Old
01-16-2006, 09:34 AM
Irish Blues

If he gets in, it'll only be because the voters are recognizing where he ranks among American players.

Aside from that? Nope.

01-16-2006, 09:50 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
If he gets in, it'll only be because the voters are recognizing where he ranks among American players.

Aside from that? Nope.
Correct. I'm a big USA hockey supporter,but I don't think he is Hall of Fame worthy. Very,very good player,but not a Hall of Fame.

Old
01-16-2006, 10:17 AM
God Bless Canada

No. Paul Coffey was an all-time great offensive defenceman who was average defensively. Phil Housley was a wonderfully skilled offensive defenceman who was terrible defensively. Only Housley could post 97 points and still wind up -14 on an above .500 hockey team.

He was a second team all-star only once, in 1992-93, the year he had 97 points, and even then he finished fourth in voting, behind Chelios, Bourque and Murphy. That's despite putting up impressive numbers for most of his career, which says to me that voters saw past the numbers and realized what a liability Housley was when not on the power play.

His playoff record is simply underwhelming. I never heard anyone say "Yeah, his team lost in the first round, but Housley was sensational." Numbers don't always tell the whole story, but with 56 points in 85 games, that's a pretty telling statistic. He scored at a better pace than that in every year until 1997-98. His locker room presence wasn't always regarded as the best, either.

To his credit, he did have some good years at the end of his career with Calgary and Chicago, but it's not enough.

I can name three retired defencemen not in the Hall who were better than Housley: Mark Howe, Doug Wilson and Randy Carlyle. I don't see them getting in any time soon, and with the exception of Howe, I don't hear anyone clamouring for their induction.

If he does get in, it'll be the same way Pierre Turgeon would get in: 30 years from now, if voters are looking at strictly numbers and not aware of glaring deficiencies.

Old
01-16-2006, 02:05 PM
albertGQ

Yes cause he is American

Old
01-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Snap Wilson

I think the Hall should make allowances for us hockey talent-challenged Americans by inducting any of us who happen to be marginally good at it.

Old
01-16-2006, 02:24 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ
Yes cause he is American
Mark Howe is an American. A damn good defenceman. A three-time first-team all-star. Many guys in the Hall can't say that. (Not that real all-star team selections are the be-all and end-all of determining which players go into the Hall).

Off the top of my head, I can name at least four American-trained defencemen better than Housley: Chelios, Leetch, Langway and Howe. (Langway was born in Taiwan, but developed in the U.S.)

Old
01-16-2006, 02:45 PM
Metallian*

he's the American Gonchar

Old
01-16-2006, 04:44 PM
reckoning

Housely is more deserving of consideration than Steve Duchesne.

Old
01-18-2006, 04:18 PM
Big Phil

I'm pretty sure I'd have a heart attrack if Housley ever got into the hall. He had only one post season all-star selection. yes Serge Savard only had one too, but he also had 8 Stanley Cups and a Conn Smythe Trophy. Housley was basically a glorified right winger. Think about it was it ever lights out for the other team when Housley was on the ice? Was he ever going to shut down the other team? No. Too much of a liability defensively. In my opinion though he'll get in because he's the leading scoere for Americans and has over 1,200 points for a defenseman (if that's what you wanted to call him). But even though I think they'll let him in I strongly disagree with it.

Closed Thread