HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Some of you guys are just the worst at evaluating players !

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2006, 05:05 PM
BORAT

vCash: 500
Some of you guys are just the worst at evaluating players !

Yes we all heards the Trade Ribeiro for Forsberg threads.. yes you all shook your heads in dissaray...

But lets face it folks Montrealers are also pretty good at under evaluating their players so I pm' some guys and tried to get impressions here and there of how they percieved our Players :

2 Players for now, more later

Koivu : Every single person believes he guy is a solid first liner and a good captain, around the league players give him more respect than they'd give a Tkachuk or a Selanne for the simple reason that he has au aura around him that commands respect, he never slacks off and is always a threat : Compared to other players that have on and oof nights , Koivu only has on nights. Koivu for others across the league is a player that is viewed as the European '' Yzerman '' and although he hasn't put up Yzerman points due to injury etc... lets not forget in a very near past his linemates where Brian Savage and Oleg Petrov.

Markov : Absolutely terrifies opposition becasue he is abherantly hard to play against Markov posseses Elite Skating a great Shot and is never physically beat, yes he is emerging as a threat but he has been dramatically solid on a weak team he has been a constant threat and on the ice it is absolutely maddening to play the guy ( I remember Mario Lumieux Blowing a fuse a couple of years ago when Markov Stick checked him in the back while the guy was chatting to the refs )
Also noticed is that he has quite a temeperament ( refs saw that ) and makes other Teams take penalties when they check him ( some say he's a diver but the guy just knows when to drop when he knows opposition is exagerating a check )
Ovechkin despizes playing him and that says alot...
Once again there is no Jovanovski or Chara on his team and the guy plays with Rivet who is a great '' Basic '' defenseman.

both these guys are gold and any team would trade a 1st pick right awya to get them... I'll say more later

Old
01-18-2006, 05:10 PM
AD

Yeah.. o.k. ..

You know what. I agree with your evaluations. But your tone of voice (if such a thing exists in a post) is paternalistic and arrogant.

Even the title is provocative.

Old
01-18-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT
Yes we all heards the Trade Ribeiro for Forsberg threads.. yes you all shook your heads in dissaray...

But lets face it folks Montrealers are also pretty good at under evaluating their players so I pm' some guys and tried to get impressions here and there of how they percieved our Players :

2 Players for now, more later

Koivu : Every single person believes he guy is a solid first liner and a good captain, around the league players give him more respect than they'd give a Tkachuk or a Selanne for the simple reason that he has au aura around him that commands respect, he never slacks off and is always a threat : Compared to other players that have on and oof nights , Koivu only has on nights. Koivu for others across the league is a player that is viewed as the European '' Yzerman '' and although he hasn't put up Yzerman points due to injury etc... lets not forget in a very near past his linemates where Brian Savage and Oleg Petrov.

Markov : Absolutely terrifies opposition becasue he is abherantly hard to play against Markov posseses Elite Skating a great Shot and is never physically beat, yes he is emerging as a threat but he has been dramatically solid on a weak team he has been a constant threat and on the ice it is absolutely maddening to play the guy ( I remember Mario Lumieux Blowing a fuse a couple of years ago when Markov Stick checked him in the back while the guy was chatting to the refs )
Also noticed is that he has quite a temeperament ( refs saw that ) and makes other Teams take penalties when they check him ( some say he's a diver but the guy just knows when to drop when he knows opposition is exagerating a check )
Ovechkin despizes playing him and that says alot...
Once again there is no Jovanovski or Chara on his team and the guy plays with Rivet who is a great '' Basic '' defenseman.

both these guys are gold and any team would trade a 1st pick right awya to get them... I'll say more later
I've been saying it for a long time...

and i'm sorry for repeating myself again, but Markov is just an unreal talent, he's underated by almost everyone, even most Habs fans and people who cover him, he should be getting as much hype as the other Canadian teams d-man, yet he's still a relative unknown, now that we'll be without him for 1 month or so, those who don't know it yet will see how important, scratch that, how crucial he is to our team...

Since Koivu came into the league he was always my favorite player, bar none, but only in the last 3 years or so has he been displaced in my pecking order by Markov...

Old
01-18-2006, 05:15 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Markov and Koivu certainly aren't among the most underrated on this board. Many on the habs board do suck at evaluating players but since not many here are scouts and the fact it is one of the toughest job there is. Even scouts can get it wrong so it's human.
As a general rule on HF rookies are overrated and "veterans" of 25 and older are over-the-hill players.

That being said, in Montreal there is an history of underrating the goaltender and defense and overrating offensive talent.
Everyone agrees on one thing though , hard work is always well looked upon and appreciated by the fans.

Old
01-18-2006, 05:18 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe
Markov and Koivu certainly aren't among the most underrated on this board. Many on the habs board do suck at evaluating players but since not many here are scouts and the fact it is one of the toughest job there is. Even scouts can get it wrong so it's human.
As a general rule on HF rookies are overrated and "veterans" of 25 and older are over-the-hill players.

That being said, in Montreal there is an history of underrating the goaltender and defense and overrating offensive talent.
Everyone agrees on one thing though , hard work is always well looked upon and appreciated by the fans.
What he said ^

Borat, you do realise that we actually have a Koivutism religion on this board right?

Old
01-18-2006, 05:20 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Regarding Koivu especially, I'm not sure how under-valued he is on this board. People who don't regard him as a top center and great captain tend to make up a pretty small minority.

Anyway, I don't think you can say that he's worth a 1st rounder to any team in the league. No player has a trade value in the abstract. It's always a matter of needs, FA status, chemistry, and on and on.

However, if by whatever magic he could get a top 5 draft pick next year, I wouldn't hesitate to make that deal. For that matter, perhaps more realistically, if Nashville was willing to give up one their young D (like Hamhuis, Suter, Parent, or Weber), I'd be very interested.

Closed Thread