HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jake Gardiner prays Leafs don't deal him

Old
02-16-2012, 09:36 PM
BIitz
RIP LL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SundinOurOnlyChance View Post
Schenn for JVR

Nash is overrated and overpaid.
Why would we trade Schenn for JVR?

BIitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pi

vCash: 100
What is the obsession of Leaf fans and top line talent? Lupul is top 5-6 in points, has great chemistry with Kessel AND he's makes about HALF of what Nash makes and has like 20 more points.

Nash is great, but he isn't 7.8M great, OR good enough for us to trade Gardiner+++.

We have seen how inconsistent our D can be, I think Gardiner is a top pairing defenseman by his 2nd year, at max his 3rd year.

I guess Ottawa should have traded EK for Nash because he will be great with Spezza?

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
In burke I trust*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post
Do you want top line talent or not.
i think we all do but at what cost?
Jake Gardiner is a young talented player with outstanding upside and it makes it even better that he wants to stay in Toronto. He is not untouchable, but for players like carter i would be very disappointed

In burke I trust* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:37 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:
Thanks for putting words in my mouth. Settle.

I do. I just don't see development like people around here do. Not every player is bursting with potential.

Actually, we'd trade more than Gardiner. The base wouyld be Gardiner since he's so "great"
We're not in a position where we can give up good young assets as we are fighting for a playoff spot, not home ice advantage.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:37 PM
BIitz
RIP LL

Quote:
Originally Posted by In burke I trust View Post
i think we all do but at what cost?
Jake Gardiner is a young talented player with outstanding upside and it makes it even better that he wants to stay in Toronto. He is not untouchable, but for players like carter i would be very disappointed
Jake Gardiner.

How do you know his upside? Where is potential shown? Talk about potential after a season.

Old
02-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Thanks for putting words in my mouth. Settle.

I do. I just don't see development like people around here do. Not every player is bursting with potential.

Actually, we'd trade more than Gardiner. The base wouyld be Gardiner since he's so "great"
well what did you mean by building around Kessel and wanting a better Lupul? how is the guy sitting 6th in the league in scoring a second line winger and someone who needs to be improved on for Kessel?

I'll take those words back if you can explain. seems pretty clear from what you said

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
Kaberle had four 40+ point seasons (if you include one in which he had 39 points in 69 games), two 50+ seasons and a 67 point season. Higher ceiling than that?

If Gardiner turns out almost as good as Kaberle, much less better, whoever he plays for will be a happy GM.
He is fast, passes at a very high level already and can shoot like kabby never could.

Put him with a McCabe and 40 would be easy. Not to mention he already has 18 points this year, will end near 25, if not more.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:
Why would we trade Gardiner++ for Nash?

Old
BIitz
RIP LL

Quote:
We're not in a position where we can give up good young assets as we are fighting for a playoff spot, not home ice advantage.
Do you want to make the playoffs or not? If an offer comes Burkes way that involves Gardiner+ for a star he'd be dumb to not do it.

Old
02-16-2012, 09:39 PM
In burke I trust*

you cant trade him think about how anehiem feels right now about giving him up.

In burke I trust* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Gardiner <3

i absolutely love this kid ... i'd trade anyone except maybe Lupul and Kessel before him

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:40 PM
BIitz
RIP LL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
well what did you mean by building around Kessel and wanting a better Lupul? how is the guy sitting 6th in the league in scoring a second line winger and someone who needs to be improved on for Kessel?

I'll take those words back if you can explain. seems pretty clear from what you said
6th isn't first. I love how good Kessel and Lupul have been. But there are people who do what Lupul does better than Lupul. If you had the chance to get one of those people, would you not? Besides, do you not want scoring depth? Are you saying Lupul after one season has become so good he's a 1st liner forever?

Quote:
Why would we trade Gardiner++ for Nash?
Why the hell would Columbus trade Nash straight up for Gardiner

Old
02-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
Kaberle had four 40+ point seasons (if you include one in which he had 39 points in 69 games), two 50+ seasons and a 67 point season. Higher ceiling than that?

If Gardiner turns out almost as good as Kaberle, much less better, whoever he plays for will be a happy GM.
Kaberle was great when he was paired with the right defenseman. In Gardiner's case, even as a 21 year old, he's sent out there in key situations.

I don't think he'll ever put up 67 points but he'll definitely be better defensively. Young Gardiner > young Kaberle, but less points.

Old
02-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
If the price of overpaid top line talent is Gardiner. I pass on that a thousand times.

He's EASILY the best defenseman some nights with the Leafs, and I put his puck moving skills above Liles already. Gardiner just needs to get more games under his belt and then he'll shine.

I've got no doubt he'll be a special player. It's not just the Leafs and their fans that think that. When it's all said and done, it won't be called the Beauchemin trade, it will be called the Gardiner trade.

We got a ****ing expressway named after this kid, no way we're trading him.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Blitz, when everyone disgrees with you it might tell you something.

Very rarely is the person going against the pack the correct one when it comes to things like this.

Old
02-16-2012, 09:43 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:
Do you want to make the playoffs or not? If an offer comes Burkes way that involves Gardiner+ for a star he'd be dumb to not do it.
Obviously I want to make the playoffs, but bringing in Nash doesn't guarantee that, we have a better chance of making the playoffs more consistently if we develop our young assets vs trading them for one "star" destroying our future.

Again we're not in a position to go for big names right now, when have you ever seen a bubble playoff team trade their futures for a "star"?

Old
BIitz
RIP LL

I go against the pack in almost everything I speak about. Seems what I talk about usually happens anyways.

Old
Pi

Quote:
Why not? If any of our young defenseman is traded, it's Schenn. Leafs identity is speed, he is the most immobile defenseman the Leafs have that can be moved and give us a positive return.

He's also playing 16 mins a game at the moment when Gunnarsson has become a top shutdown guy, Gardiner is becoming better.

If a defenseman is traded, it's Schenn, or Komisarek (can't see anyone taking him).

Old
02-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
6th isn't first. I love how good Kessel and Lupul have been. But there are people who do what Lupul does better than Lupul. If you had the chance to get one of those people, would you not? Besides, do you not want scoring depth? Are you saying Lupul after one season has become so good he's a 1st liner forever?

I don't think Lupul is any different from guys like Sharp, Lucic, Hartnell/Jagr, Horton etc that are on winning teams top line.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:45 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:
What? When did I ever say this, all I said is why would we trade Gardiner++ for Nash? He's not that good and we lose in the long term and take a huge risk short term.

Old
02-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Pi

Also, getting Rick Nash doesn't change the possibility of making the playoffs when the Leafs are a top 10 offensive team. On the contrary, if we have to gut our defenseman/goaltending/or top prospects to get Nash, I'd say we lose the trade and chances of making the playoffs decrease or stay the same.

Getting Rick Nash isn't like dating a girl, it's basically marrying her Leafs will have to pay 7.8M to Nash when he's 34 years old. Not sure I want that unless he doesn't cost much off the roster.

Old
Aplayaz2000

you'd be an idiot if you wanna trade him

such a young age, plays so good
just imagine when he's older
son of a *****...

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BIitz
RIP LL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Why not? If any of our young defenseman is traded, it's Schenn. Leafs identity is speed, he is the most immobile defenseman the Leafs have that can be moved and give us a positive return.

He's also playing 16 mins a game at the moment when Gunnarsson has become a top shutdown guy, Gardiner is becoming better.

If a defenseman is traded, it's Schenn, or Komisarek (can't see anyone taking him).
Well lets start with the basics. What has JVR shown that would make us want to trade Schenn for? #2 pick? He had one good series against the Bruins and all of a sudden everyone falls in love with him.

Where would be be on our team? 3rd line left wing? Isn't Kule the 3rd line left wing? He wouldn't get any powerplay time or SH time, so he'd get about 12 minutes a game.

You'd trade Schenn for someone who plays 12 minutes a game? What are you basing potential off of? JVR just like Schenn has had all the oppurtunites to succeed, but never did. D men take longer to develop than forwards as well.

Old
02-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:

lol. so Nash, with Kessel, would be leading the league in scoring?

you're digging a hole to big to get out of. good luck. I'm done with this stupid discussion. thankfully Burke agrees with me on this one, and JG will not be going anywhere.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
I go against the pack in almost everything I speak about. Seems what I talk about usually happens anyways.
Clearly.