HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#57|Feb. 16, 2012|Sabres at Flyers|7:00 p.m. ET

Old
02-16-2012, 09:17 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
Great game, gets them ready for Geno and the Penguins on Saturday. Hopefully Grossman is here for that game, we could certainly use him.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Wayne Simmonds picked up 25 stitches, too (upper and lower lips).

Edit, from Sam @ Inq.
We might have a Lappy Jr.

02-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
With our defensive personnel that sort of thing is simply going to happen. I can live with it (unhappily) so long as they aren't doing it all damn night.
ok, let's try one for Bryz for goal #2:

With the obvious adjustment period coming from PHX to Philly, and the poor early performances in some of his first 26 game & his resulting lack of confidence, that sort of thing is simply going to happen. I can live with it (unhappily) so long as he isn't doing it all damn night.

--------------------------------------------------

Bob: 1 bad goal vs NYR 5-2 loss
Bob: 1 bad goal vs DET 4-3 loss
Bryz: 1 bad goal vs BUF 7-2 win

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Schenn10

Thought everyone played well( it was buffalo) good game guys. I know this isn't twitter but RT / quote if you think Bryz will turn it around and catapult us for the rest of the season I thought he was great last night after the 1st period and he got over his rust

Schenn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post

With the obvious adjustment period coming from PHX to Philly, and the poor early performances in some of his first 26 game & his resulting lack of confidence, that sort of thing is simply going to happen. I can live with it (unhappily) so long as he isn't doing it all damn night.

No "adjustment period" is going to cause a goalie to give up that kind of goal as often as Bryz has this year. It's one thing to have to learn how the team works in front of you, how to communicate with and work with your defense...but letting in goals like that second goal are simply not explained by "adjusting." Unless goalies forget everything they know about goaltending when they switch teams and have to learn it all over again from the basics. There's also no excuse for him to still need to be "adjusting" at game 57 of the season.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:44 PM
qwertysac

After reading through the thread i would just like to point out how pathetic some so called flyer "fans" sounded during and after the first period. Just saying... o_O

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:53 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertysac View Post
After reading through the thread i would just like to point out how pathetic some so called flyer "fans" sounded during and after the first period. Just saying... o_O
What did you really think get you'd out of this post? Just asking... o_O ^_^ @_@ x_X

OriginJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
What did you really think get you'd out of this post? Just asking... o_O ^_^ @_@ x_X
a bunch of smileys?

._.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:57 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Statement game from the team? Down Jagr, JvR, Pronger, Mez, Briere, and Sestito....and they put up a 7 spot? Plus a little shakeup on D incoming...let's hope they feed off this big time. Big game saturday!

sobrien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:00 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
I wonder if Sestito received some sort of stinger or something related to his hand that perhaps caused discomfort. His hand seemed to be extended almost in an awkward fashion.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrHockey1982

Quote:

Neither goalie has been good enough to win us the cup this season. That's what we need Bryz to be.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Prongo
Beer

G had another great game in the face off dot.

G-11-19-58%
Talbot 5-7-71%
Couts 10-18-56%
Schenn 3-12 -25%(BUST!! Trade him)

Also people wanting Gaustad for face offs

15-18- 85%(that's amazing)

Flyers overall 35-71- Just under 50% obviously.

If not for Gaustad we would have dominated. We need that guy on our team I say

Claude Giroux on the year 53.3% good for 27th this year. Definitely improving from the bad start he had at the beginning of the year.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:02 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
We might have a Lappy Jr.
There's a photo from Rick MacLeish's playing days in which he was in the midst of having his lips stitched . He had more than 30 stitches from a cut, pretty sure it was the same game he scored four goals again the Islanders.

Old
02-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Neither goalie has been good enough to win us the cup this season. That's what we need Bryz to be.
One of them getting hot during the playoffs start is all it takes..

See : Niemi

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:16 PM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
One of them getting hot during the playoffs start is all it takes..

See : Niemi

Agreed but I don't really recall Bryz getting on any hot streaks during this season. Maybe once or twice for a few games but nothing jumps out at me. Why would he suddenly get hot for the playoffs if he can't do it in the regular season when games are easier?

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
With our defensive personnel that sort of thing is simply going to happen. I can live with it (unhappily) so long as they aren't doing it all damn night.
Coburn
Kimmo

Hartnell
Giroux
Talbot

were on the ice for goal #1 ...... there's NO WAY you can use the 'our defensive personnel' excuse for those players. completely unacceptable lapse in defensive coverage for an NHL team, especially with the way they have been abysmally poor leaving guys wide open the last 2 weeks

Old
02-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
as the Flyers stated he's the #1, the reason they signed him long-term, they are gonna simply play him in 95% of the games left & expect continued improvement & that he gets confident.

might as well ride him like Bob last year.

[but not pull him after 4 periods in the playoffs, still pissed they jerked Bob like that]

Old
02-16-2012, 10:27 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

The Flyers officially will not issue updates regarding Sestito or Briere tonight. That will be done tomorrow (Friday).

JVR is "getting closer" from what Holmgren said.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-16-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old
02-16-2012, 10:37 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

To try and deter this from a yet ANOTHER goalie fight, one player who I thought played well tonight (and I didnt see anyone mention it) was Wellwood. He has always done a solid job playing for us so far. Actually has 3 points in 6 games as a Flyer.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:42 PM
bryzgalovsky*

how is gaustad so good at winning faceoffs

isn't there a lot of luck involved in winning faceoffs

how do you train for that

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Coburn
Kimmo

Hartnell
Giroux
Talbot

were on the ice for goal #1 ...... there's NO WAY you can use the 'our defensive personnel' excuse for those players. completely unacceptable lapse in defensive coverage for an NHL team, especially with the way they have been abysmally poor leaving guys wide open the last 2 weeks
There are 3 other players on the ice besides the defensemen. I believe Giroux looked pretty out of position on that one. Giroux isn't all that great defensively, so that's what you get.

Here's the thing: One shouldn't be too shocked when that happens with the way our team plays defense. Our personnel simply aren't as good at it as they were one or two years ago. So, that sort of play is expected to a degree.

Now...why should we expect Bryz to make that easy save? If he were a sub million dollar backup or AHL callup...then ok, whatever. That sort of thing will happen. However, Bryz isn't that. he's a very expensive player who is supposed to be much better than that. he's supposed to be the guy who put a stop to that kind of goal always going in against the Flyers. However, he constantly lets them in. He's just not doing what's expected of him consistently. If we still had Mike Richards and he was playing as poorly defensively as Giroux has this year, then I'd be pretty damned upset with him; He's paid and expected to be much better than that. I'm pretty damned upset with Briere, too; he has a high cap hit because he's supposed to put up a lot of points, and he's been pretty disappointing all around. The same goes for Bryz; when he lets in that goal, it's doubly inexcusable because it's expected that he should make that save pretty much every time. I feel the same way when I see Briere flub a one-timer on an open net; he should be expected to make that.

When Giroux (or Briere) is on the ice, with his defensive ability, it shouldn't be surprising that a lot of cross crease passes are allowed. It sucks, but it's reality.

It isn't acceptable, but the expectations in each situation are different. One situation is less acceptable than the other. We are going to need outstanding goaltending to go be relevant in the playoffs, and Bryz hasn't positively proven he can do that. Hell, we may need outstanding goaltending just to make the playoffs. Let's hope Bryz proves he can do that.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 02-16-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post

Practice, practice, practice. Technique is a big part. 'Cheating' is big too. Knowing your opponent, etc.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:48 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post

Good article on CSNphilly.com here

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/flyers...022&feedID=695

Quote:
“It’s important to read the centerman you are against,” Giroux said. “How is he going to read it? How is he going to try and win it? I think that is pretty much most important – who you go against. Sometimes, you go against a good guy or bad guy. You have to adjust.”
Quote:
“Yeah, once in a while when you cheat,” Giroux said. “If you have a winger, who can win it, too, you can cheat a little bit and have a more of a power to win it. If you are a good cheater, those are the best centerman.”

In most cases, it’s about getting an angle on your stick down first before the draw to block the other center. Giroux learned that the hard way from someone in San Jose.

“I remember when I did faceoffs against Joe Thornton, he would cheat all the time and win the faceoff,” Giroux said. “He was so good at cheating he would not get kicked out.

“It made me realize I have to cheat a little here. He was quicker. Just before the puck drops, his stick was already blocking my stick. The ref can’t do anything because it is so quick. You got to be able to do that.”
A couple quotes from Giroux about face offs. Clarke also was helping him improve in the face off dot, good reason he probably improved from his early season struggles.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:55 PM
bryzgalovsky*

thanks for the link

also the only comment on that article is:

docdeath207 days ago
can we get Bernie to teach our goalies we need help

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Flyersfan139

@Hartsy19
I feel like a #pididiot for hitting simmer in the face with a puck in warm up.#simmerdown 2 goal for the beast in front of the net though!!!

It was Hartnell!!

Flyersfan139 is offline   Reply With Quote