HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Brad Richards sucks thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2012, 12:03 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

vCash: 500
This board apparently forgot what it was like to lose a game.

Old
02-17-2012, 12:03 AM
smoneil

Richards' entire game is cerebral. He's not going to come in and bang around the ice like an energy guy or an Ovechkin. From the preseason, he's been up front about the fact that it was important to spend this season getting on the same page as his teammates. Have you noticed how many times he sends a pass that looks like it should be a tap-in that the receiving player flubs? The timing and chemistry will come, and when it does, the whole team will benefit. It was exactly the same when he first went to Dallas. He had an acclimation season (where his numbers were way down) and followed it up with the best season of his career.

On top of all of that, Richards was brought here primarily for one reason--the postseason. Judging him before a single playoff game is played is utterly useless.

Old
02-17-2012, 12:12 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Remember that time Cally the golden boy couldn't score a goal for his life until Richards showed up and gift wrapped him a hat trick?

Yeah. It's true, and the recent goal/assist outburst has further proven my point.

Old
02-17-2012, 12:19 AM
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAvery16 View Post
Really? Drury's stats his first year in NY are IDENTICAL to BR's projections.
After 56 games you declared him the same as a player who left the organization and the sport a former shell of anything resembling a hockey player. Even Drury wasn't Chris Drury after 56 games.

Relax. Your posting on emotion instead of logic.

If you would of came in and posted that Richards was under performing and why you would of got discussion instead of scorn.

By the way, Welcome aboard.

Old
02-17-2012, 12:29 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

First I thought this guy was wrong because he compared Richards to Drury.

Then I learned he's also wrong because he's part of the "ZOMG A BIG POINT SHOT IS THE ONLY THING A PP NEEDS!!!"

RANGERS =
Old
02-17-2012, 12:32 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
First I thought this guy was wrong because he compared Richards to Drury.

Then I learned he's also wrong because he's part of the "ZOMG A BIG POINT SHOT IS THE ONLY THING A PP NEEDS!!!"
Maybe ask McCabe to come out of retirement?

Old
02-17-2012, 12:41 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Maybe ask McCabe to come out of retirement?
Maybe we can get Ales Kotalik.

Old
02-17-2012, 12:43 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Maybe we can get Ales Kotalik.
Lets actually just bring up Redden and park him in front of the net. If the puck hits him instead, it's not much of a loss anyways.

Old
02-17-2012, 01:30 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Everytime he is on the point on the pp his shot never makes it through to the net. i wish the rangers had a power shot from the point, i cant remember the last time they had such a force. one of the big reason this pp is horrible no big point shots with rebound potential.
totally aged yourself. I can at least recall Zubov. Leetch didn't have a cannon but he had what I would call an "effective" point shot. If you think Richards is to blame for our PP, you must not remember our PP in the oh, past 5 seasons or so. If only Jeremy Lin ran our PP

Old
02-17-2012, 01:31 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Lets actually just bring up Redden and park him in front of the net. If the puck hits him instead, it's not much of a loss anyways.
tell Redden to pretend he's playing D for the opposite team. Then we'll just start magically scoring!

Old
02-17-2012, 01:46 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
tell Redden to pretend he's playing D for the opposite team. Then we'll just start magically scoring!
His turnovers will finally start to work in our favor! Even Richards can't set up our guys as well as Redden playing for the other team.

Old
02-17-2012, 01:55 AM
Boyle Knows Santa

I was about to start a Ryan Callahan sucks thread to poke fun at this guy, but it's not worth the time.

Rangers fans need to be miserable. We can't handle success, we need something to feel bad about.

Old
02-17-2012, 02:07 AM
Dirty Kari

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
It was exactly the same when he first went to Dallas. He had an acclimation season (where his numbers were way down) and followed it up with the best season of his career
Um no?

He had 11 points in 12 games with Dallas his first season and then 15 in 18 in the playoffs.

He then had 48 points in 56 games in his first full season with Dallas.

Old
02-17-2012, 02:36 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

If there is someone that is a likely comparison to Richards, you have to go to a different sport to find it. His production, not teams, reminds me a lot of the first season Carlos Beltran was on the Mets. He's getting acclimated to a bigger hockey market (No offense to Tampa or Dallas, but let's be real now) as was Beltran coming to the Mets. He's also adjusting to life in NY and to a new team and system, regardless of his history with Torts, things change.

To me, the teams big success has allowed him to take a back seat on the team this season, but he has been a damn clutch player for the team.

Let's also not forget he's been looking for linemates the whole season. A stretch of games with the likes of Rupp, Prust, Mitchell, and Feds will result in less points. No matter how well he plays with those players, he won't produce with those guys on his wing.

He isn't paired with Gaborik and rightfully so right now because of Stepan playing so well with him. Hagelin and Cally have been his best linemates and I hope we get another natural scorer either at the deadline or next season so we can see Richards play with a good offensive talent. Could that be Nash? Kreider? Christian Thomas? Parise? Nobody knows, but hopefully they mesh well with Brad and it'll make him and the other player better.

Right now, Brad is blending in, but hopefully come deadline or next season, whenever we get another winger for him to play with Cally and himself, we can see him take off.

Old
02-17-2012, 04:18 AM
drewcon40

Quote:
Everytime he is on the point on the pp his shot never makes it through to the net. i wish the rangers had a power shot from the point, i cant remember the last time they had such a force. one of the big reason this pp is horrible no big point shots with rebound potential.
Sandis Ozolinsh, Bryan McCabe, I even think center, Matt Cullen, were all supposed to boost the powerplay and play the point. The Rangers powerplay is just poor. I wouldn't put too much on Richards.

He is on pace for under 60 pts when he has been a 70 - 90 pt player.

No one should dictate how you feel but I certainly was shocked to see this thread. I think Richards is a very good player and am happy he is a Ranger.

Old
02-17-2012, 04:56 AM
rangersbaby

Although the post was a little harsh without any reasons on why... The fact remains that based on what he has brought to this team up until now is not close to the kind of money they are paying him. That's not to say he isn't gonna turn it around or be a monster in the playoffs. Nobody can see in to the future and say for sure what is gonna come from him. But right now he is a minus player on a first place team. That alone is not easy to do. He looks slow to me and doesn't win many 1-1 battles. I do see his vision at times but not enough of them to overlook the other negative parts of his game. . I truly believe that anyone who is happy or satisfied with him as a player watches the games with hs homer glasses on I also don't think he was comparing Richards vs drury the player as much he was comparing the salary vs what he brings to table. Again not saying this all cant be changed with a good end of the year or playoff but an assessment of how his season career has begun as a ranger is not a very good one. If this was a 9th place team right now people would be calling for his head. Just my 2 cents

Old
02-17-2012, 05:12 AM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
Brad Richards is on pace for his usual goal scoring output and his shooting percentage this season (.117) matches the highest of his career. It's just the assists that are not on pace. This is for two reasons:

1)Growing pains with new teammates. He is learning to play with these players in this system. He's being shuffled around to different lines AND his most common linemates are Callahan (a guy who's probably going to break 30 goals for the first time this year, possibly as a result of Richards) and a rookie. Neither one as good a scorer as Richards is a playmaker. These growing pains will ease with time through either developed chemistry or a scoring LW signing/trade.

2)The PP. Richards typically gets about half his assists from the PP. Well that trend is continuing this year. You fix the power play, you'll see the numbers you want out of Richards.

Not at all worried about Richards or his contract.

Closed Thread