Bruins offer Extensions to Kelly, Paille, Campbell and Thornton

Old
02-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
I think Kelly think's with the numbers he's putting up this year he'll get in the 3.5-4m range. Joel Ward got 3m and posted 10g 19a last year. Kelly has 14g 12a so far this year. Other things to consider is Ott fans have been lobbying for him to return and:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...#ixzz1mbsbtgKq

Most players who are in contract years say they want to stay and work out a deal etc The "it's a tough question" part makes me think he'll more inclined to wait and see what's out there unless the B's offer blows him away both in terms of dollars and most importantly years. I could be wrong though. Only time will tell.
What I was curious about was why he'd have to sign by the trade deadline. That seems like an arbitrary (and quick) deadline. I would think probably none of these guys would sign by then. An "offer" to me means opening negotiations, and talks would probably take a while.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
What I was curious about was why he'd have to sign by the trade deadline. That seems like an arbitrary (and quick) deadline. I would think probably none of these guys would sign by then. An "offer" to me means opening negotiations, and talks would probably take a while.
I said by the trade deadline because I think if chia has an idea that Kelly is looking for too much money and he won't resign Chia might trade for replacement for Kelly who's already signed past this season and just have the new guy center the third line and have Kelly play the wing that way the team has some continuity going into next season.

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:01 PM
BostonBeatdown87
Not While I'm Here.

Great news. Keep Thorny forever.

Seriously, build the man a gold statue of him punch-a-sizing faces.

BostonBeatdown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:06 PM
northeastern

Good news for the merlot line but there are some other names that i'd like to see get offers soon. very soon.

I am talking about tuukka.

Last edited by northeastern: 02-16-2012 at 11:13 PM.
northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

Chia is probably guaging who will take a hometown discount.

It's good that he is trying to be proactive. The truth is that there isn't much pushing these guys in Providence. The problem this creates is signing the vets costs more and will eat up the cap money.

Also, if all of these guys get extended though I wonder how Chia is planning on paying Tuukka.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

This is both nice AND worrisome to me.

I don't know what kind of numbers are being thrown about, so I can't say for sure if this will be good or bad. But there's a certain amount of "falling in love" with players that I see certain GM's making their biggest mistakes on. Over-committing to players who have pretty generic and unspectacular skill-sets.

Peverley is a signing that I understand. Kind of a Marco Scutaro who can play anywhere in the lineup and adds a nice change-up of skill. It's a bit much to commit to him, but

But a guy like Chris Kelly (whom I like a LOT) scares me as a potential re-sign, because he already makes quite a bit of money - he's likely looking at more, and I think the cash is probably better spent/saved.

The bottom line, is that the goal should be that each and every one of your contracts is a potential asset and not a detriment. Any one of these players signed to more than they're worth... And it becomes a huge problem. Especially when your entire budget is looking to be used up before free agency hits. If your team begins to struggle, it's like being sucked into a whirlpool. There's no way out.

I love this team and I love the vast majority of the players on it. Every single player offered an extension, I love. The emotional side of me is happy that there's the potential to see them all back next season. The rational side of me though, understands that Chiarelli is notorious good at being decent to his players and that hometown discounts are all but non-existent. I worry that this (like love) could end up being ultimately destructive.

Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Marc Savard
06/15/2011. x3

I like

Marc Savard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:25 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
No Pouliot or Corvo?
Poo is an rfa so there's no rush on him. Corvo yeah we all know why that hasn't happened.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:26 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th Rounder View Post
Chia is probably guaging who will take a hometown discount.

It's good that he is trying to be proactive. The truth is that there isn't much pushing these guys in Providence. The problem this creates is signing the vets costs more and will eat up the cap money.

Also, if all of these guys get extended though I wonder how Chia is planning on paying Tuukka.
Non of these guys will be getting big raises so it will not affect the Rask situation at all.

Old
02-16-2012, 11:29 PM
cvbruins15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post

This is both nice AND worrisome to me.

I don't know what kind of numbers are being thrown about, so I can't say for sure if this will be good or bad. But there's a certain amount of "falling in love" with players that I see certain GM's making their biggest mistakes on. Over-committing to players who have pretty generic and unspectacular skill-sets.

Peverley is a signing that I understand. Kind of a Marco Scutaro who can play anywhere in the lineup and adds a nice change-up of skill. It's a bit much to commit to him, but

But a guy like Chris Kelly (whom I like a LOT) scares me as a potential re-sign, because he already makes quite a bit of money - he's likely looking at more, and I think the cash is probably better spent/saved.

The bottom line, is that the goal should be that each and every one of your contracts is a potential asset and not a detriment. Any one of these players signed to more than they're worth... And it becomes a huge problem. Especially when your entire budget is looking to be used up before free agency hits. If your team begins to struggle, it's like being sucked into a whirlpool. There's no way out.

I love this team and I love the vast majority of the players on it. Every single player offered an extension, I love. The emotional side of me is happy that there's the potential to see them all back next season. The rational side of me though, understands that Chiarelli is notorious good at being decent to his players and that hometown discounts are all but non-existent. I worry that this (like love) could end up being ultimately destructive.
incredibly well said

cvbruins15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:31 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
He's gagging to see what their expectations are. If they are unreasonable they may be packaged to go elsewhere if he can find something he likes better for our club. He's just doing his due diligence.

Old
02-16-2012, 11:34 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
I didn't expect Thornton to be re-signed, 35 is rather old for an enforcer.
He'll be 35 in the summer but he seems to be holding up really well now and I doubt their looking to give him a long term deal. One maybe two years. If it's two I'll assume it's for less money.

Old
02-17-2012, 12:25 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

im not sure who is in the pipeline that needs to be made room for on the 4th line... so im good with this. hope the numbers make sense though

as for thorntons age... i can see him becoming the 13h forward soon. he brings us energy ontop of fighting skill so its fine with me. let him play until someone takes the job, then put him into the elder spokesman role.

i wonder what this means for caron though? seems its probably time to make room for him or move him.. and suddenly all the rooms at the inn just got filled.

knight/spooner enter the equation next year. they project as 3rd liners rather then 4th liners i guess. so im not too worried about them. one of them can slot in with peverly/kelly. so we have one spot open...

just seems this writes on the wall.. end of the line for caron

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:34 AM
XtremeofParanoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
im not sure who is in the pipeline that needs to be made room for on the 4th line... so im good with this. hope the numbers make sense though
Agreeing with this. I think MacDermid and Arniel still need time to develop in the A and our fourth line has been the best at its job in the league for almost 2 years. If you can keep it together, do it.

XtremeofParanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:34 AM
MioneRask134

I'll take Thornton and Paille back.

No thanks to Kelly and Campbell. I'd like upgrades on that front.

MioneRask134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:37 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

This is great news for two reasons...

First, it sends a message to the UFA's that his first priority is to bring back the team that won the Cup.

Second, it allows Chairelli to gauge his Salary cap situation for the next three years. If someone like Kelly declines, then he becomes a piece in a move or cap space for this year and next. Same goes for Campbell. Thornton deserves to retire a Bruin and then return to the Shwa! Paille can be replaced by Pouliot's or his spot becomes open for the prospects.

This is Chiarelli getting a strong gauge on his salary cap for next year onward two weeks before the deadline...

Bottom line folks: The Boston Bruins are interested in a player that has a contract beyond this season.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:41 AM
thepootamis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
This is great news for two reasons...

First, it sends a message to the UFA's that his first priority is to bring back the team that won the Cup.

Second, it allows Chairelli to gauge his Salary cap situation for the next three years. If someone like Kelly declines, then he becomes a piece in a move or cap space for this year and next. Same goes for Campbell. Thornton deserves to retire a Bruin and then return to the Shwa! Paille can be replaced by Pouliot's or his spot becomes open for the prospects.

This is Chiarelli getting a strong gauge on his salary cap for next year onward two weeks before the deadline...

Bottom line folks: The Boston Bruins are interested in a player that has a contract beyond this season.

enter Antoine Vermette would easily replace Kelly when he becomes a free agent

thepootamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:43 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepootamis View Post
[/B]

enter Antoine Vermette would easily replace Kelly when he becomes a free agent
Could be. Good friends with Bergeron.

Old
02-17-2012, 12:48 AM
LyricalLyricist

Only problem with this is if offers are low. Player will feel unappreciated. That's why I assume these are close deals that chia must be relatively sure will meet the players demands. In other words, I expect the deals to be close and even that they all sign.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:50 AM
thepootamis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Could be. Good friends with Bergeron.
and he's a former Senator so hopefully PC is calling about him right now

thepootamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:54 AM
Boston BROin
Marchand makes u mad

Send a message via AIM to Boston BROin Send a message via Yahoo to Boston BROin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBeatdown87 View Post
Great news. Keep Thorny forever.

Seriously, build the man a gold statue of him punch-a-sizing faces.
Thornton will be spoken about in the future just as Taz was spoken about to me from my parents and grandparents.

Boston BROin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:59 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Only problem with this is if offers are low. Player will feel unappreciated. That's why I assume these are close deals that chia must be relatively sure will meet the players demands. In other words, I expect the deals to be close and even that they all sign.
Have to agree again with you LL. His offers would have to be around what they have been looking for so he doesn't ruin team chemistry.

Imagine how good it would be on this road trip for them to re-sign all of them then add someone to the mix?

Old
02-17-2012, 01:01 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston BROin View Post
Thornton will be spoken about in the future just as Taz was spoken about to me from my parents and grandparents.
One of the great players on that team as far as chemistry, passion and heart for hockey. Was lucky enough to meet him last year too.

Proud I am a Bruins fan from the same city. (Born and raised in the Shwa)

Old
02-17-2012, 03:18 AM
TheBigBadB

Thrilled with Thornton getting an extension. One of the only enforces that can play a regular shift and is good.

Paille was a playoff warrior no doubt, but remember at the beginning/mid of last season he was scratched more often than not? Marchand worked his way off the fourth line to the second. I like the idea of leaving a spot open on the fourth line for a rookie to get his feet wet.

Campbell I can do without too. He is not a good faceoff guy, he cant score, and I dont think he even is a regular penalty killer anymore. He's a good grinder, good teammate and willing to scrap but I just hope there is no over payment for what he brings.

Kelly, I am still not sure what to think. Sometimes he is great, but then disappears for long stretches. He is already making good coin, so I am not sure what he is looking for. All I know is if he said "tough question" after giving an A that tells me he may look for more elsewhere.

TheBigBadB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:17 AM
MSPGabe
Born & Bred In Maine

Campbell's actually got equivalent faceoff numbers to Krejci, and wins a higher percentage on the road.

He's 3rd among Bruins forwards in Shorthanded Time on Ice per game.

MSPGabe is offline   Reply With Quote