HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who would you rather have? Carter or Nash?

Old
02-16-2012, 05:02 PM
SFKingshomer

vCash: 500
Dont want either but Carter makes more sense. Rather not gut the team and pay Nash almost 8 million.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

I want Nash, like his game and like that he is a huge skilled actual winger.

That being said, Carter would be a decent consolation prize.

Just don't think opportunities come around that often, do what needs to be done DL.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:30 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

I don't see the problem of having Carter play center and Richards on the wing. Remember, Richards was willing to play wing when we were interested in Brad Richards.

Nash's cap hit should be the bigger concern imo.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:25 AM
DontgoZiggy

I'd be happy with either, but i'd prefer Carter because of his lower cap hit and supposed lower trade cost. If Carter is happy enough playing first line wing then that would be a bonus.

DontgoZiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 01:32 AM
Leo W

Do not want Carter and Richards together in LA with Doughty, too much partying.

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 01:36 AM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Yeah, wouldn't want that, they might party all the way to the Cup finals like Richards and Carter did in Philly

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 01:37 AM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
Do not want Carter and Richards together in LA with Doughty, too much partying.
I don't care if they party, as long as they put the puck in the ****en net. I'm tired of these 1-0 games.

DontgoZiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 02:18 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Wasn't there just a poll asking the same question?

Oh yeah, there was. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1106819

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 03:11 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Ok this is a little nuts but if we sold more than half the farm, our 1st and dumped some salary back to CBJ, maybe we get both Carter AND Nash.

Carter can then be our first line center...maybe with Justin Williams and Simon Gagne as wings. They would move the puck like...well like my favorite Kings line of all time, Sandstrom/Kurri/Robitaille with Doughty being Coffey, lol.

Kopitar can be 2nd line with Nash, maybe Loktionov or Toffoli in the future on RWing?...that would be sick. Maybe Richardson...

Then Richards, in full strength situations, would play 3rd line center, often matching up with the opponent's best center. He can have Nolan and/or King as wingers, or Dustin Brown as a winger.

Clifford, Lewis, Loktionov can be our over-talented 4th line.

Defense:
Doughty/Scuderi
Voynov/Mitchell (gotta re-sign him)
Martinez/Greene
7th guy - whoever's left from Hickey/Muzzin/Deslauriers or another callup.

Goaltending:
Quick
Sanford (for now)

Nash and Carter's combined salaries for this year - 13.1 million.
(I'll only be talking about this year as next year we have a ton of salary coming off of the books...with Johnson's salary also gone, we'll have enough coming off to pay both CBJ guys and maybe re-sign Mitchell with a bit of room for Quick...we can always deal another player like Greene, replace him with one of our many young guys and give that money to Quick as well...Gagne will be UFA as well.)

Players with salary to send over to CBJ:
3+mil - Penner, Stoll, Johnson (adds up to like 11 mil or more)
1 mil - Bernier, Parse (is he tradable right now?) (lets say 1 mil)
junk salaries - Hunter, Drewiske (lets say .6 for Hunter)
And don't forget the 2.4 million in cap room we have right now...reverse pro-rated, it's worth like 5.1 million at the deadline in offsetting non-pro-rated salaries.

That's like 17.6 million to offset 13.1...more than enough room to take Sanford on too.

So on the roster:
Stoll - replaced by Carter (yay Kurrilino!)
Penner - replaced by Nash (yay Kings!)
Bernier - replaced by Sanford (ok whateva)
Johnson - replaced by Voynov with help from Martinez (yay Slava)

So then it's just a matter of giving enough to CBJ along with Bernier and Johnson and at least a 1st rounder this year. We can deal next year's 1st since it will be more like a high 2nd hopefully. And we have a ton of young defensemen to trade too. Maybe not Forbort but any other D, we'll be happy to throw in. If you take the two rumored deals (JJ for JC and Nash for 1st, Bernier, Penner, Hunter), that's easily done and we can throw in a 1st or a Hickey/Muzzin, whatever.

Like another fellow Kings fan said on another thread on HFB, DL got Penner, Mike Richards and still went after Brad Richards. He wound up with Gagne when that didn't work. So DL isn't adverse to getting TWO big guys...hey are POS (not PatO'Sully) offense needs more than one player to fix it!

We won't need a bottom six guy now because our 4th line has been great already and we add Richards to the third line to be our "rich man's" Jordan Staal/Dustin Byfuglien (when he was a Hawk).

- R
.><.

PS - yes, this is nuts...but maybe do-able?

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 03:49 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Right this moment I want neither. With the inflated prices due to so few sellers, I'd prefer for the Kings to sell off a few UFA's and some of the other junk on this team.

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:00 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

How do you guys expect the Carter/Richards duo do great in a once run and gun system to our cycle to death system. It wont be anything similar to phili. If you want a player to play our stupid system you need a guy like Nash, not Carter. The question is who can play our stupid system more effectively, and its Nash.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:30 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
Actually I'll bow to our friends from Philadelphia who may remember more clearly, but I certainly don't recall Jeff Carter playing a "full" season at RW. I do recall him playing portions of seasons at wing with Richards at one time and perhaps Briere at others. The general set-up over those latter years was Briere at wing with Richards and Carter as your 1 and 2 or vice versa. When Giroux came into his own about a third of the way thru last season, Richards essentially became a 3rd line center playing lots with Carcillo and Versteeg, when he came over from Toronto. When Carter was at wing for those short periods of time during his stay in Philadelphia, my sense was he didn't look (or play) too happy. He's also not great on the boards with his body which was often complained about by fans in Philadelphia. However, I stand to be corrected if wrong on this, and still contend that Nash would be a far better fit in LA than Carter. The very last thing you want is 3 top line centers vying for prime ice time.
Carter played all of last season on Giroux's wing. The Briere line was intact the entire season with Harts and Leino, Roo/Carter were together with either JvR or Zherdev but it was always Roo/Carter. Richie had the leftovers.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Kingler

Our top two LW at start of season, Gagne + Penner, makes $7.75mio combine

Why get Carter to play wing? or move Richards to wing? Get Nash, salary aside he is exactly what we need, stop with the patch work. You lose more money in long run

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:16 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
Johnny ?

/or

Tango's partner ?
Johnny 1,000x over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
How do you guys expect the Carter/Richards duo do great in a once run and gun system to our cycle to death system. It wont be anything similar to phili. If you want a player to play our stupid system you need a guy like Nash, not Carter. The question is who can play our stupid system more effectively, and its Nash.
According to who?

Nash plays his own style and is more of a cherry picker than a fruit farmer. Carter might not be great in a defensive system either, but at least he can play in one. Rick Nash likely has no clue what all the fan discussion is about this guy named Curtis Sanford.

Careter is also familiar with Richards, who likely would be a linemate, and with Stevens, who helps impliment that same system you say Carter would be unfamiliar with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
Our top two LW at start of season, Gagne + Penner, makes $7.75mio combine

Why get Carter to play wing? or move Richards to wing? Get Nash, salary aside he is exactly what we need, stop with the patch work. You lose more money in long run
Yes, the old argument of 'we wasted money on two guys, so combine it into one for a good player.'

When Rick Nash struggles to score 30 goals in LA, while costing us nearly as many with his play, people will start to be upset that we got a $7.8 million boatanchor on the cap for another six seasons. Not to mention we still have to spend some money to fill the other roster spot vacated by Gagne/Penner.

If Nash's cap hit was closer to Carter's, I'd be all for taking a chance on him as well. Pass at $7.8 million for sure.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 02:56 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
When Rick Nash struggles to score 30 goals in LA, while costing us nearly as many with his play, people will start to be upset that we got a $7.8 million boatanchor on the cap for another six seasons. Not to mention we still have to spend some money to fill the other roster spot vacated by Gagne/Penner.
Considering the Kings' system, 30 goals is a lot, and worth it. that's basically 30 wins.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote