HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Tanev called up - Feb 16/2012

Old
02-16-2012, 06:01 PM
lindgren

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Who is on LTIR?
No, he's on first.

lindgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:46 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
I've actually been liking Alberts more than Rome... everyone once in a while, Mr. Outtanginles thinks he's Bobby Orr or Ray Bourque and tries to make a pass he can't make or skate in a level he can't. Alberts makes mistakes too, but at least he never overdoes it.
I've always been in the minority, but I've always preferred Alberts to Rome. He adds a physical presence and wins battles along the boards. Rome's only advantage is that he is a bit better positionally.

I think since Ballard has been out Alberts has clearly been better than Rome, but we'll see if the coaches agree.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Wicked. Love Chris Tanev and the dynamic he brings to the back end. Splitting up the vaunted Alberts/Rome combo is just gravy at this point.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Zammer

Do you think it will be permanent this time? Or will they send him back down once Ballard is healthy?

Zammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zammer View Post
Do you think it will be permanent this time? Or will they send him back down once Ballard is healthy?
Good question. I think Tanev will definitely be here for the playoffs, but the remainder of the regular season will depend on whether this is a salary tap dance with respect to Ballard, IMO.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Zammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Good question. I think Tanev will definitely be here for the playoffs, but the remainder of the regular season will depend on whether this is a salary tap dance with respect to Ballard, IMO.
I agree with you about the playoffs, but didn't Gillis say it's better for Tanev's development to play first pairing minutes on the Wolves? I wonder how much that plays into effect as well

Zammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Rome Tanev could be a big upgrade for the 3rd pairing

Rome LD >> Alberts, Tanev >> Rome RD

Not sure what it would mean for the TD but it could help reduce Salo's minutes (and the other D) which is another plus.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Momesso

Well he has played the majority of his season with the Wolves.

Ultimately it is all about how he looks and if he can help the team.

Momesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:28 PM
David71

maybe its to give tanev a few games before mike gillis decides on aquiring another dman?

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:58 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
I still want to find out if Tanev can take that right side along Edler starting now, shifting Salo down with Alberts/Rome.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I still want to find out if Tanev can take that right side along Edler starting now, shifting Salo down with Alberts/Rome.
We did. For one game. And then for cap-related reasons, he was promptly re-assigned to the Wolves. I think we're going to all have to make peace with the idea that if/when Salo goes down, Tanev is the most likely replacement barring some sort of miraculous acquisition by Gillis in what is a hugely seller's market for dmen of any calibre.

Best we can hope for is to pick up a depth RS guy to replace Tanev on the bottom pairing when he slides up into the top 4 on the RS.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:58 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zammer View Post
I can see Tanev being here until just after the deadline just so MG can evaluate what he has in Tanev, and what type of defensemen he should trade for (top 4 guy or 3rd pairing guy).

PG Canuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Anzes Eyes
5th line centre

Forgive me for using a basketball reference but I can't help but to reflect on Jeremy Lin, NY Knicks phenom. He exemplifies the right opportunity, at the right time, in the right system. Tanev utilized his opportunity last year, like Lin today, to turn heads. There is no reason he can't do it again and become a solid D pairing for the Canucks going into the playoffs. The question is, how will he look partnered with Rome or Alberts? Likely not the right opportunity to look like a star.

Anzes Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 01:32 AM
Wisp

I expect Tanev will be staying with the Canucks from now on. They're bringing him up for the stretch to get the team firing on all cylinders for the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
I like how we basically upgrade our bottom-pairing on the right-side every time this guy is called up. That's saying something.
You don't even have to qualify it with 'right-side.' It's ridiculous how much better Tanev is compared to Rome, Alberts, and even Ballard.

Quote:
The question is, how will he look partnered with Rome or Alberts? Likely not the right opportunity to look like a star.
We don't want him to look like a star. We want him to stabilize the bottom pairing with steady, simple plays. With Salo retiring soon, there will be plenty of oppurtunity to play him in the top 4 in the future.

Rome and Alberts aren't actually that terrible when they're playing their correct side, though Alberts still takes too many penalties.

Last edited by Wisp: 02-17-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 02:06 AM
Type Not Specified
Part of the process

I still don't understand why they kept going with Alberts-Rome. If Ballard is out and Tanev is in the minors, I'd rather have Sulzer with one of Rome or Alberts.

I don't think Tanev is here for the rest of the season. That would cost us LTIR space which could otherwise be used to add depth at the trade deadline. We also don't have room on the roster unless someone is on IR. It doesn't sound like Ballard is expected to be out long term, and as soon as he's activated Tanev will have to go back down. It's either that or we waive Sulzer.

Type Not Specified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 02:09 AM
Wisp

I don't expect Ballard to be a Canuck much longer.

Old
02-17-2012, 02:18 AM
Type Not Specified
Part of the process

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
I don't expect Ballard to be a Canuck much longer.
Well in that case, I hope you enjoy being disappointed. I don't see Ballard going anywhere right now.

Old
02-17-2012, 02:24 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekla View Post
Well in that case, I hope you enjoy being disappointed. I don't see Ballard going anywhere right now.
well, hopefully Mike Gillis doesn't share your poor foresight. his capspace is best spent elsewhere.

the only thing that would disappoint me is if we went into the playoffs without Tanev. Any combination of Tanev and a d-man in our bottom pairing is okay with me.

Last edited by Wisp: 02-17-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old
02-17-2012, 02:31 AM
Scurr

Rome is very underrated and stylistically a good partner for Tanev. I think they'll play well together.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 02:34 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Rome is very underrated and stylistically a good partner for Tanev. I think they'll play well together.
I think so, too. I think they'd constantly be sending the puck the other way, and the only time we'd notice them is when Rome delivers a big hit.

Old
02-17-2012, 02:45 AM
Type Not Specified
Part of the process

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
well, hopefully Mike Gillis doesn't share your poor foresight. his capspace is best spent elsewhere.

the only thing that would disappoint me is if we went into the playoffs without Tanev. Any combination of Tanev and a d-man in our bottom pairing is okay with me.
Tanev will be here for the playoffs and so will Ballard, I'm willing to bet.

Old
02-17-2012, 02:57 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekla View Post
Tanev will be here for the playoffs and so will Ballard, I'm willing to bet.
Yeah, unless we make a trade for a D man at the deadline I can definitely see Ballard and Tanev as our 3rd pairing with a healthy defense in the playoffs. Rome as the 7th guy.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 03:23 AM
Jrtu

vCash: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
maybe its to give tanev a few games before mike gillis decides on aquiring another dman?
I'd like MG to acquire another dman whether Tanev plays well or not.
I sincerely hope we don't see any of Rome, Sulzer, or Alberts in the playoffs.

Jrtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 03:35 AM
David71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrtu View Post
I'd like MG to acquire another dman whether Tanev plays well or not.
I sincerely hope we don't see any of Rome, Sulzer, or Alberts in the playoffs.
yes mg should. for depth insurance purposes. whoever he aquires, maybe he'll likely keep rome/sulzer as spares. deal alberts for a pick or whatever.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:18 AM
FAMOUSfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I completely agree. It would be nice to know if we could rely on Tanev to step into the top 4 in the playoffs if the need were to arise. Big luxury if Ballard-Tanev can handle the 2nd pairing.

FAMOUSfin is offline   Reply With Quote