HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blackhawks @ Rangers

View Poll Results: Yeah?
**** 14 32.56%
**** 6 13.95%
***** 7 16.28%
******** 16 37.21%
*** 7 16.28%
*** 6 13.95%
******** 13 30.23%
Other 20 46.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-17-2012, 04:53 AM
Dorado*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Specifically, where was Girardi? Both breakaways came because he got caught.
I love G , he's a shot blocking stud . In his own zone he's a stud . As for playing up ice from time to time he has been easily by that stretch pass to his side . Chi clearly watched some tape and game planned against it . 3-4 shifts in a row they beat him with hay play . Pittsburgh plays us the same way .
It's not the end of the world we lost one oh well .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 05:47 AM
Karter

I blame Lundqvist's first period performance on wearing the ugliest pads I've ever seen.

Karter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 05:53 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinx View Post
I blame Lundqvist's first period performance on wearing the ugliest pads I've ever seen.
His name is Martin Biron.

How you could confuse him for Henrik is beyond me.

Biron had those pads made for the Winter Classic. You know, the whole throwback thing.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:28 AM
Trident61494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
I love G , he's a shot blocking stud . In his own zone he's a stud . As for playing up ice from time to time he has been easily by that stretch pass to his side . Chi clearly watched some tape and game planned against it . 3-4 shifts in a row they beat him with hay play . Pittsburgh plays us the same way .
Not that it's an excuse, but I believe the second breakaway, whom ever had him pinched deep also kicked his stick away from him, and no body said anything, not that it would have made anything more than a few seconds difference, but he didn't have his stick and after the puck was turned over it was kicked deeper along the boards...

Trident61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:32 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Not sure if serious...?

Martin Biron played the entire game and had those pads made for the Winter Classic.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:50 AM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Good thing Lundqvist didn't play. Go back to your own board if you're just gonna troll us.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:54 AM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

Henriksums it up after 10 minutes..

Sticky Fingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:18 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post

Girardi's weakness has always been his quickness. He's done a much better job over the past two years at minimizing it, but, he used to get beat to the outside with regularity.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:23 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

An odd feeling

I had a very odd feeling watching that game last night. It was surreal.

I was not only calm, but I could continue to watch the game without getting PO'd.

I knew right away we were going to lose, but it was OK.

We are first in the East, by more than a couple of points.

We were clearly due to lose a game.

And we werent giving points to an EC rival.

I imagined that this might be how Detroit Red Wings fans feel when they lose a game.

It's OK.

02-17-2012, 07:36 AM
JanErixon20

Didn't read the whole thread other then the last page, but I thought Gaborik had an awful game. Could be a little fatigue building up on him, but he looked dreadful out there.

I can't blame Biron, he was hung out to dry by some awful defensive play. Good thing was they had a couple of decent periods after the first and if their power play dad any life, they could have tied or won the game.

Oh well....CBJ next....beat them and move on.

And that rule that gives the defending team the option of 5 on 3 or 5 on 4? That needs to go....that's an awful rule. Why give them the choice? It should be the team on the power play getting the choice.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:44 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post

I was not only calm, but I could continue to watch the game without getting PO'd.

I imagined that this might be how Detroit Red Wings fans feel when they lose a game.

It's OK.
Likewise for the most part. Although I did think they might be able to pull it off. However I was never upset. Come to think of it the only time this year I got annoyed was the first game vs. Boston...when the Bruins scored at the end of the second..

They were due. The Rangers were due also. It's February..this team is averaging 2-3 regulation losses a month, and even less after that.

They lick their wounds from this beating (and they played pretty well after the opening 10) and they get ready to murder Columbus.

And if this season is any indication....they will be quite ready come Sunday evening.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:52 AM
Vinny

vCash: 100
I do think Biron looked bad on 2 goals but to blame him is pure bs, 2 breakaways and a penalty shot. Biron has been a good goalie for us it is not good to let him drop. And the chanting for Hank in the first period was just pathetic. you never give up on your team or players, just never.

What irritated me the most was that in the 1st period not 1 player could keep the puck at his stick, all player lost the puck all over the place, it looked so bad that that was the reason for turnovers that cost us 4 goals. It looked like all Rangers where allergic for the puck.

And then the powerplay with 4 minutes, 1 shot. The team sucked last night and it is not the blame of Biron, it was a normal bad game, you can have now and then, forget it and move on.

Last edited by Vinny: 02-17-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:02 AM
94now

The game showed:
1. this team is nothing without Lundqvist
2. what skill could do to grit
3. we need help upfront

Other than that the loss is no big deal, you cannot win all. Torts and Slats know about above, get Nash here, protect Hank.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:11 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
The game showed:
1. this team is nothing without Lundqvist
2. what skill could do to grit
3. we need help upfront

Other than that the loss is no big deal, you cannot win all. Torts and Slats know about above, get Nash here, protect Hank.
This game showed that the Rangers can have a bad game from time to time. Nothing more.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:13 AM
JanErixon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I do think Biron looked bad on 2 goals but to blame him is pure bs, 2 breakaways and a penalty shot. Biron has been a good goalie for us it is not good to let him drop. And the chanting for Hank in the first period was just pathetic. you never give up on your team or players, just never.

What irritated me the most was that in the 1st period not 1 player could keep the puck at his stick, all player lost the puck all over the place, it looked so bad that that was the reason for turnovers that cost us 4 goals. It looked like all Rangers where allergic for the puck.

And then the powerplay with 4 minutes, 1 shot. The team sucked last night and it is not the blame of Biron, it was a normal bad game, you can have now and then, forget it and move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
This game showed that the Rangers can have a bad game from time to time. Nothing more.
Exactly, I'm not taking much out of it. They haven't had a game like this in awhile....maybe since St. Louis???

Also, I blame Sam for jinxing them. The second I turned the game on, I hear him say "Rangers doing a good job keeping this Toews line in their own zone..." 15 seconds later, they get the penalty shot.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:15 AM
jniklast

Why didn't Torts take the timeout after the second goal? He usually takes it after two quick goals or even after a goal and the opponent pressuring us further. It probably wouldn't have changed the outcome, but I found it odd that Torts was that hestistant this game. When he finally took it at 4-0 the game was already lost.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:30 AM
MSG the place to be*

Still no answer to my question...

Why does the better goalie have to face the better team, specifically when your talking about two western conference foes? Shouldn't the decision hinge on where those games fall on the calendar?

I've seen plenty of backups play against us this year and we are tops in the league.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:32 AM
truebluegoalie

Just finished watching the game. There is no doubt the entire team played poorly in the first, but you look to your goaltender, even your backup, to make a big save here and there. Those breakaways would have been big saves, even just 1 or 2 of them, throw in the PS as well. Of course they were all against skilled players but still a goalie needs to make at least 1 of those saves, especially when they all go through the five hole, not talking about top corner snipes or ridiculous dekes here. Plus if Biron controls the rebound the PS never happens, just felt like he had a bad game, but no way should he get all the blame. Overall terrible team effort in the 1st.

They were definitely given the opportunity to catch up with 7(?) PP. But they looked awful on pretty much all of them again. They kept trying to feed Callahan in front for that set play, but it looked like Chicago watched some tape and was ready for it. Don't expect that play to keep working on the PP as teams adjust.

Thought the refs were their usual horrible selves again. The goalie interference was a bs call. Not happy at all about the quick whistle that NEVER seems to benefit us but ALWAYS seems to screw us, same goes for covering the puck in the crease. I think it was the devils game where the puck was clearly covered in the crease and the Rangers didn't get a penalty shot, I think the ref claimed he already blew the play dead. Another one of those calls that always seems to go against the Rangers. Also not a big fan of that ridiculous 5v3/5v4 rule. Seriously needs to be changed, what coach would take a 5v3 with all that open ice over a 5v4?

Tough loss, but at least they came back, showed some resiliency and short of the PP played better in the 2nd and 3rd periods. Should have at the very least been a 4-3 loss, which would have been easier to swallow.

But this is a prime example of a game where a quality PP would make a difference. Painful.

*edit: also terrible, the Hawks play by play guy. Every save Crawford made was the most amazing save ever, even when MDZ shot it right into his chest. But then Eddie O. would say in his analysis "pretty easy save" haahhahaha cracked me up.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:32 AM
shelaur22

Yeah, Biron sucked. I knew the Hawks would be up 1-0 as soon as Toews went to take the penalty shot--he always goes 5 hole and Biron can't close his. Even on his best night Biron stands zero chance against Hossa on the breakaway. So that's 2-0 right there.

That said, if Rupp had managed to score on both of his wide open net opportunities, the score would be tied. Other guys had chances to score and didn't. We had some bad breaks, bad calls, some things that didn't go our way. **** happens. Not like we got blown out. Forget it and carry on.

shelaur22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:45 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Are people seriously blaming Biron?

WTF were Girardi and Macdonagh doing on those three goals? They werent changing, so were they asleep and letting guy sneak behind them?

And why in the friggin world would you even think about taking your hand off your stick and putting it on top of a puck in the crease? Kick that **** out with your skate or just take the closest blackhawk down in choke hold and take the PP over a friggin penalty shot.

Bottom line -- our best "shut down" defensive pair had a garbage 10 minutes. The reason why the Hawks have been losing is because their skill guys were not getting easy chances, especially breakaways.

I mean, seriously...are we blaming goaltenders for breakaways?

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:53 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post

WTF were Girardi and Macdonagh doing on those three goals? They werent changing, so were they asleep and letting guy sneak behind them?

And why in the friggin world would you even think about taking your hand off your stick and putting it on top of a puck in the crease? Kick that **** out with your skate or just take the closest blackhawk down in choke hold and take the PP over a friggin penalty shot.

Bottom line -- our best "shut down" defensive pair had a garbage 10 minutes. The reason why the Hawks have been losing is because their skill guys were not getting easy chances, especially breakaways.

As far as the PS, I though Girardi was crosschecked and fell on the puck, but I had the Chicago feed and one thing you will learn watching other teams feeds is that MSG is top notch when it comes to replays, the Hawks feed didn't really have a good replay of it, and only showed it once IIRC.

I am not blaming Biron, you are correct the D was horrendous, however you need a goalie, even a backup, to make 1 or 2 of those saves, those would be big plays. Plenty of times playing goal I have made a big save on a breakaway after a defensive breakdown and my team has gone back the other way and scored, and you see that all the time. A goalie making a big save can be just as big a momentum shift as a fight, a solid PK or a goal. That is all I am saying, you need your goalie to make 1 or 2 of those breakaway saves, gamechangers. I think Biron would likely say the same thing.

In fact he did:

“It’s the beginning of the game. It’s one of those situations where you have a chance to give your team some momentum. I didn’t come up with it,” said Biron, who entered Thursday’s match with an impressive 10-2-1 record. “It’s a chance for a goaltender to make a save to give your team either momentum or to save the game, or whatnot. That was my chance to make that big save. That was going to kind of set the tone for us and give us that chance to move forward, and I didn’t do it.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/hoc...w-york-rangers

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:57 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Bounce back against CBJ. If we lose that one, then ****.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:09 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post

It's OK.
I was in the train coming home from work think I hope it's not a complete drubbing and if we lose 4-1 I won't be upset. We lost 4-2. That's not that big of a margin at all. At the end I didn't think we'd come back so I was hoping we'd preserve the streak of not allowing 5. We spotted them 4 goals in 9 and a half minutes but by golly, we kept that streak alive. That was the least upset I've felt over a loss, maybe since becoming a fan.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:16 AM
drewcon40

If there was ever a "good" loss, that would be it. After the 4 goals, I thought the Rangers played a good game. Biron on the 5-3 was also very good and in future games where he gives Henrik a rest, I would be confident in him, as well.

I think you guys are right about the special pads but I actually thought I read that Biron would wear the Gratton throw back mask with the dark heritage jerseys. I thought he had a mask last year but never started/played in a game when they wore those jerseys in 2010-11. I "googled" real quick and saw that he had a new one for the classic..

anyway, mask or no mask. We will see Biron against the Islanders or Sabres next weekend. Here is hoping for a bounce back against the Blue Jackets.

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:18 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post

This is the most ridiculous sentiment. Yes you blame goalies for breakaways when the breakaway attempts are as weak as a 100 year old woman. Just because they're breakaways doesn't mean they're unstoppable. Goalies routinely go 3 for 3 on penalty shots on much tougher attempts.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote