HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Semin or Hemsky as a deadline acquisition

Old
02-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
I guess I didn't identify clearly enough what the thread was supposed to be about. I had no intentions of comparing which player is better, obviously Semin has a lot more to show than Hemsky. Also, this isn't a trade proposal, so what a team would be willing to give up in a trade is irrelevant.

I was just curious which teams wanted which particular skill-set. Also, Semin has had a pretty poor year (production wise), I felt both he and Hemsky were in some-what similar situations with their own pros and cons that might make certain teams prefer one over the other.
You don't seem to realize that Semin is also an elite passer. If you ever go to a Caps' home game, watch him during the warmups. He'll pair up with someone like Carlson and make cross ice saucer passes. Every single one will land right on Carlson's stick, without fail. And he does this in the game, too. His accuracy with the pass is nearly as good as his accuracy with his wrister. The only thing keeping him from racking up assists is his piss-poor linemates. He's never had significant time with a capable scorer. It seems like whenever he gets a ****** new linemate, he'll spend a while trying to set them up. When they consistently fail to put the puck in the net, he'll give up on them and try to do everything himself offensively, which leads to scoring droughts as defenses key on him. If he goes to a team where he can be on a line with, say, Datsyuk and Franzen, or Duchene and Landeskog, or Kopitar and Brown, he'd be absolutely dominant not only as a scorer, but also as a playmaker.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:41 PM
thalegion

Semin is a good player, not a great player but definitely good, benefitted a lot from the team around him, I do consider Hemsky the superior player but that's not discounting semin.

thalegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalegion View Post
Semin is a good player, not a great player but definitely good, benefitted a lot from the team around him, I do consider Hemsky the superior player but that's not discounting semin.
He rarely plays with Ovechkin and Backstrom, so I have no idea what you're talking about. The linemates Semin's worked with over his career have been terrible, verging on insulting.

Old
02-16-2012, 07:47 PM
i2edAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
He rarely plays with Ovechkin and Backstrom, so I have no idea what you're talking about. The linemates Semin's worked with over his career have been terrible, verging on insulting.
And they constantly get rotated.

i2edAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 07:48 PM
oilers92

vCash: 50
if anyone actually watched hemsky they would realize his hands are probably some of the best in the league his problem is once hes gone past one guy instead of taking the easy open shot or pass he decides he has to do it again and usually ends up losing it then

as for the question you take semin if asking price from the gm's is similar as he is the better point producer

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:18 PM
nzoilerfan

Hemsky has the lower cap hit for the teams struggling there (4.25m vs 6.7m). And Hemsky has been pretty dangerous this last 15-18 games with 13 points and he has goal posts around 10 times during that stretch I think but yes Semin is clearly out producing him right now. So he would be the better bet to come in and help the team make the playoffs, but doesn't Semin disappear come playoff time? or was that other WAS players. Even though it has been some time since 05/06 Hemsky was a driving force for the oilers in the playoffs back then and he was one of the kids on the team then.

If i was another team I still go Semin, but Hemsky is not a bad option.

nzoilerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:49 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Hemsky is the better talent. Semin has been playing better this year (mind you, Hemsky has been getting better again lately). Do you take a chance on the safe bet or take the guy with a higher risk, but also higher reward

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:19 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
It's been a long time since Hemsky has been in the playoffs, but at least he didn't play dead when he was in the playoffs like Semin has a few times.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:01 AM
Capathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post
This is a statement to take note of.

Hemsky may not have the pure talent of Semin, but he is more of a gamer. You go watch some of the punishment Hemsky has taken over the years and you will see a how tough a skill guy he is. Semin would not have gone near any corner that Regier was anywhere near, yet Hemsky would do it 5 times a game. I think people don't realize the heart that Hemsky has. If you put him with Ovechkin, Green and Backstrom instead of Smyth horcoff and Gilbert his numbers would be a lot better.
Orpik is just as nasty to play against and he can actualy skate.Broke Semins thumb in the playoffs and Alex played through it. Semin is also quite strong on the boards when his moves work. Hes a dangler,sometimes it works and sometimes it does not...thats why people sour on him. He can either make a highlight reel move....or get posterized.

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:03 AM
plikestechno

LOL at all these Edmonton posters thinking that Hemsky is better than Semin.

As a fellow Oilers fan though, I will say that I think Hemsky presents much better value as a deadline acquisition to a team in the short term looking to go on a long playoff run. And arguably just as good of value short term as Parise, Nash or Carter does.

It will cost you far less in salary and it will cost you far fewer assets to acquire him than it would to acquire Semin or the other big names. A mid-late first and a decent D prospect, possibly not even your best one will bring him home these days.

Unfortunately for Oiler fans, his value would have been much higher in years past where he's been almost PPG (when healthy) for the last six years. He's been around PPG again for the past month. With a big contract and possibly a trade to a contender in mind.

Detroit apparently is very interested in him and I'm not surprised. It would be a shark move while everyone else offers the moon for the other guys. He has had many good games against them over the years and literally put a dagger through their heart in 2006.

And still, he comes up with and makes big plays in big games, and I think any team that acquires him for the playoffs will be glad they did. His shoulder seems to be holding up and he's had a great last month of the season. After being one game away from the cup in 06 he will be fired up, I know he will be good value to anyone that acquires him. The money can get sorted out after.

He instantly becomes your team's 2nd RW. On a few teams he's probably your #1 RW.

I would love to get a good NHLer or two back for Hemsky, especially on the backend right now. But I have a feeling that he either signs an extension (up in the air still whether I like this) or he goes for picks and prospects. It's unfortunate that we wasted many of his best years. The calvary's come too late to keep his contract around for a few years before we're ready for another run.

Last edited by plikestechno: 02-17-2012 at 01:06 AM.
plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:30 AM
CobraAcesS

Duchene and Semin would be scary together.. Both can shoot and pass and have great vision and speed. Once more and this is the funny part... Both turn it up when they have someone on their line they respect. Duchene want's a winger of his caliber and Semin wants to be paired with a center of his caliber consistently. Neither has had that..

Semin - Duchene - Mueller if Alex makes it to free agency.. Mark my words.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:47 AM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Hemsky is the better talent. Semin has been playing better this year (mind you, Hemsky has been getting better again lately). Do you take a chance on the safe bet or take the guy with a higher risk, but also higher reward
I don't know how you'd say Hemsky's more talented. His best season (which was 7 years ago), he had 77 points in 81 games. Semin's best season was 84 points in 73 games. Semin has a higher career ppg than Hemsky. He's outscored him each of the last 4 seasons. Semin's clearly the lower risk and the greater reward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
It's been a long time since Hemsky has been in the playoffs, but at least he didn't play dead when he was in the playoffs like Semin has a few times.
Semin' career playoff numbers - 30 points in 37 games
Hemsky's career playoff numbers - 17 points in 30 games

Old
02-17-2012, 12:52 AM
Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
I don't know how you'd say Hemsky's more talented. His best season (which was 7 years ago), he had 77 points in 81 games. Semin's best season was 84 points in 73 games. Semin has a higher career ppg than Hemsky. He's outscored him each of the last 4 seasons. Semin's clearly the lower risk and the greater reward.
Yeah but Hemsky put up those numbers with Shawn Horcoff as his linemate. Think about that for a sec. Those are absolutely staggering numbers when one has to play with the offensive blackhole that is Mr.Horcoff most of the time.

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:55 AM
plikestechno

Has Semin ever been to Game 7 of the SCF? Things like that count when you're looking for a rental for a run.

Anyways, as I mentioned earlier I think Hemsky is of better value to a team at the deadline because he will cost a lot less to get. A big factor of that being that the Capitals are still in the hunt (and should get in) whereas the Oilers are done and the Oilers WILL take the best deal they can get before the deadline because they don't want to lose him for nothing. There's a much lesser chance that the Caps will trade Semin so a team may have to overpay to pry him off the Caps.

In the short term I would also argue that the possible payoff is even for both players. Let's see what Semin does without Ovi and Backstrom. Semin's best years also came in a system which his team no longer employs which probably explains the downswing in production. Hemsky's numbers have been consistent through a flurry of coaches and linemates.

I still think Semin is a better player but Hemsky provides better deadline value.

Last edited by plikestechno: 02-17-2012 at 01:01 AM.
plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:56 AM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Yes please to either of these guys as a Wings fan, especially since the package is likely less than either of their fan-bases think on hfboards.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:50 AM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
Yeah but Hemsky put up those numbers with Shawn Horcoff as his linemate. Think about that for a sec. Those are absolutely staggering numbers when one has to play with the offensive blackhole that is Mr.Horcoff most of the time.
Are you kidding me? You're complaining about Horcoff? He had 73 points the year after the lockout. Semin has never had a center hit 50. 2006 Horcoff would've been a major improvement on the caliber of centers Semin has played with. Semin was putting up roughly ppg game stats while his primary centers were Brendan Morisson, Eric Belanger, and 39yo Sergei Fedorov. He would've killed for a center like Horcoff.

Old
02-17-2012, 06:57 AM
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Semin and play hard in the same sentence.....
Actually he has been since Hunter got hired in WAS... and I'm to seeing that. He's actually playing better than Ovechkin

On that being said, I would really like to see Semin with the SENS but at a cost I would not be willing to pay. I'm retty sure the asking price for him would be the same as Kovalchuk and more. (NHL Player, Prospect & 1st)

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:03 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
semin has been playing better than ov these past couple of months, we need semin if we want to make the playoffs
I think the Caps need to move Semin now and get some gritty pieces back that give some energy. Actually Knuble with him would be a interesting package for a team

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:09 AM
MCDAVIDISH

This is the first year his PPG has glitched and he's finally starting to play like himself lately, I'd hope the Oilers hold on to him because I don't think we'll get the right value for him at the moment.

MCDAVIDISH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:30 AM
Capathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Yes please to either of these guys as a Wings fan, especially since the package is likely less than either of their fan-bases think on hfboards.
Or...it could be more. Who thought the leafs fans were right about Kaberle? I thought he would be moved for much less...most of us did. Were not gm's and nobody really knows what a desperate gm will pay. I honestly think the wings will need to reload..as you guys call it in the coming years. A proud franchise that always must be competitive would look for players in their prime to replace older guys. I think Semin is on the radar..but more likely ufa pickup. The price is high on trades because well who else would sell talent like an Alex Semin?

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote