HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeremy Lin forces TWC/MSG to come to an agreement

Old
02-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Crease

vCash: 500
Quote:
Executives from Madison Square Garden and Time Warner met this week, reports the Post
Quote:
MSG's Mike Bair hinted that his side might be willing to soften its stance. "I think right now, because of the Lin story, because of the performance of the team, and because of what we’ve seen in the ratings, now is the time to do a deal," he said on WFAN.
http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/02...icks-soon.html

Glimmer of hope.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:42 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Kind of like how you did?

You argue you hope TWC doesn't cave because the channels are squeezing too much money (which is true), yet you dumped TWC, which is exactly the pressure exertion that MSG wants.

I think we're without Devils and Rangers games for the rest of the season at this point unless MSG pulls back on its' demands, as with each passing day of the calendar there is less and less reason for TWC to "cave".
You couldn't be more wrong, I didn't dump TWC because of the MSG problem, I dumped them because the cable bill was a total rip off and I was sick of it. I didn't mention a single word about the Rangers or Knicks when I yelled at the rep on the phone.

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:43 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Or translated into business speak...

Being that TWC will have ZERO interest in signing any contract with us come 60 days from now (after the NBA and NHL seasons end) we realize that every day we fail to offer better terms makes it less likely we will receive any income from them for at least 7 months.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Kind of like how you did?

You argue you hope TWC doesn't cave because the channels are squeezing too much money (which is true), yet you dumped TWC, which is exactly the pressure exertion that MSG wants.

I think we're without Devils and Rangers games for the rest of the season at this point unless MSG pulls back on its' demands, as with each passing day of the calendar there is less and less reason for TWC to "cave".
I wouldn't really call switching caving.

Its not like you're switching from an excellent service provider who doesn't have MSG to a crappy one with MSG.

TWC has ****** service.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:10 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

I feel like crying

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:12 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
It just figures that I can't watch the best NYR team of my adult lifetime. I'm 26 now, so I was only 9 when we won our last cup. I couldn't fully appreciate how special that season was. Now, I get boned by this garbage, with no recourse. FiOS isn't coming to my area for at least a year in all liklihood, and my apartment doesn't have a view of the southern sky, so no DirecTV either. I'm forced to try and watch the game on some crappy stream that hurts my eyes. This is about greed, pure and simple, on BOTH sides. TWC doesn't want to cave, because they have everyone locked into a rate for 2 years at a time. Any money they shell out will take time to get passed onto the consumer. MSG isn't going to cave either, because Dolan's pockets are deep, the Rangers are good, and "Linsanity" has everyone interested in the Knicks again. He's probably making more money this season than last despite losing 2 million viewers. The more info I get on this, the more I think this is going to be a protracted stalemate. We as fans need to make a united effort to shame these 2 parties into compromising. Call radio stations, newspapers, TV stations, anything to have our voices be heard...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
That sucks man, you sure they can't install the dish on the roof and run the cable? I'm also in Queens and that's what I had them do today
You should also look into RCN cable. Maybe you can go month to month for a couple months and put your TWC on hold

Old
02-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

I just ordered FIOS.

$80 / month (after tax it'll probably be $90) for 25/25 MBit internet (I torrent so that's meaningful to me) versus over $130 now that i'm paying for mediocre service.

Yeah, the MSG being dropped thing pushed me to make the switch, but I'll be getting far better service for less money

Old
02-16-2012, 12:14 PM
LGR33

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
I feel like crying
me too. But I am hoping things are finally starting to get moving again....
- so.sick.of.it

LGR33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:44 PM
useref15

If they agree on a deal, you can thank Jeremy Lin.

useref15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Im just so sick of it because fios isnt available in my area, and my father is not gonna switch to something else for a few months. We are waiting for fios. Someone who works for verizon told me they had a 5 yr deal with the city in which that was their window to have everything wired. That expires by the end of this year. I dont think a deal will be struck for literally 2 mths, thats all thats left in the season. Personally I wouldnt strike a deal if i was twc because i only need them for 2 more months. I'll deal with the streams for now, it sucks but ill deal. I have friends with fios and direct tv anyway, ill go there when big games arent on nbc sports net or nbc. It sucks but its the reality of it.

I did see on facebook today that someone heard they struck a deal, prob not true. If so, im really gonna miss nhl network.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:48 PM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Im just so sick of it because fios isnt available in my area, and my father is not gonna switch to something else for a few months. We are waiting for fios. Someone who works for verizon told me they had a 5 yr deal with the city in which that was their window to have everything wired. That expires by the end of this year. I dont think a deal will be struck for literally 2 mths, thats all thats left in the season. Personally I wouldnt strike a deal if i was twc because i only need them for 2 more months. I'll deal with the streams for now, it sucks but ill deal. I have friends with fios and direct tv anyway, ill go there when big games arent on nbc sports net or nbc. It sucks but its the reality of it.

I did see on facebook today that someone heard they struck a deal, prob not true. If so, im really gonna miss nhl network.
Unless you have anything but the bare bones basic package, you will still get NHL Network. I'm guessing you didn't have the basic package since you had MSG. Everything from the standard package up has NHL Network. The only thing TWC did was change NHL Network's channel from a more obscure one in the 400s, to MSG's channel slot in the 700s where the popular HD channels are. They did the same exact thing with NBA Network. It was just a clever ruse to make their customers think they were trying to help them out when they lost MSG.

TheGrapesOfMcIlrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Joe11

Francesa just said that Dolan met with the top guy from TWC yesterday. Don't know if that is a good or bad sign

Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
Francesa just said that Dolan met with the top guy from TWC yesterday. Don't know if that is a good or bad sign
All they did was give each other handjobs. No progress was made.

It's all top executives do. Jerk people around.

Old
02-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
It really feels personal. It really feels like Dolan just pisses off everyone he meets. That's just what it feels like...

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:10 AM
patnyrnyg

I saw Dolan last night before the game. I let him know what I think about him.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:18 AM
broadwayblue

Dear broadwayblue,

What an incredible season to be a Rangers fan, with the team leading the Eastern Conference and with one of the best starts in team history. Unfortunately, many of our biggest fans in Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island including our season subscribers, have not been able to watch games and follow the team on television.

As you are probably aware, on January 1, Time Warner Cable dropped MSG Network - the television home of the Rangers - and have been steadfast in their refusal to negotiate with Network on a new agreement. While we continue to push for a resolution with Time Warner, we are also actively searching for other options that will allow our fans to watch games on TV.

To this end, we have worked with TV provider Verizon to extend an offer. Time Warner Cable subscribers should click here today to switch to FiOS and watch the remainder of the Rangers season. Additionally, MSG will continue to work with other television providers, and will share those offers as they become available.

Thank you again and we greatly appreciate your support both rooting live for the Rangers at Madison Square Garden and at home on television.

Your New York Rangers

Is that true? I thought MSG pulled the plug? Guess that's just the ******* owner of MSG and the Rangers using one entity to pump up the other. Really an insulting email if you asked me.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:02 AM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Hello fellow scorned New Yorkers,

NY1 had a report this morning that some councilperson or something or another (Quinn?) is more or less forcing the two sides to come to an agreement because of Linsanity. They want to have it done within two weeks or else there will be some hearings or something or another. I don't do mornings well and was barely able to make cereal, but it was good news nonetheless.

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Onion Boy

Ironic that the Rangers best season in a LONG time means nothing, but the hot rookie start of an obscure Knick stimulates negotiation.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:59 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Is that true? I thought MSG pulled the plug? Guess that's just the ******* owner of MSG and the Rangers using one entity to pump up the other. Really an insulting email if you asked me.
The contract ran out, ergo TWC no longer had authorization to broadcast the channel. If they did they were in violation of retransmitting MSG without license. MSG refused to give them an extension. So yeah, TWC pulled the plug as much as I pulled the plug for not running a wire from 1 Penn Plaza to my TV at home and deciding not to pay for it

Old
02-17-2012, 12:01 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
I saw Dolan last night before the game. I let him know what I think about him.
Do tell, what did you say and how did he react?

Old
02-17-2012, 01:24 PM
LGR33

Quote:
Originally Posted by None Shall Pass View Post
Hello fellow scorned New Yorkers,

NY1 had a report this morning that some councilperson or something or another (Quinn?) is more or less forcing the two sides to come to an agreement because of Linsanity. They want to have it done within two weeks or else there will be some hearings or something or another. I don't do mornings well and was barely able to make cereal, but it was good news nonetheless.

found an article about it:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...sEnabled=false

LGR33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Cmox

http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2012/0...-issue-solved/
Solved?

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Cmox

I'm so bitter that Linsanity resolved this. No respect for the Rangers. haha

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 03:15 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Howard Beck:

@HowardBeckNYT Knicks and Jeremy Lin will be coming back to Time Warner cable customers soon. Agreement reached. Story on nytimes.com shortly.

LINSANITY BROUGHT US MSG BACK

I feel like crying happy

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 03:16 PM
PBC9400

ANYBODY CAN CONFIRM THIS? This would be awesome! Great start to the weekend. I can finally watch my Rangers again from home! My building is wired up only for time warner so i could not even change providers. Don't care if stupid Linsanity got it solved or not, it sucks to read things like how the politicians got involved by saying that New Yorkers deserve to be able to watch the sensation that Lin has provided with no mention of the sensation the Rangers were providing all year, but whatever. Ill take the back seat to all that nonsense as long as i get to watch the team again.

PBC9400 is offline   Reply With Quote