HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers are interested in Nash (McKenzie: Rangers/Kings Strongest Suitors)

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2012, 09:01 AM
AdamBanks99
MinnesotaMiracleMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Right now, the deal is Dubinsky, Kreider, 1st round pick for Rick Nash.
bobby mac on tsn last night said that mdz would HAVE to be a part of the deal in addition to dubinsky + kreider/erixon + picks.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:03 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
No, that's the deal that Bruce Garrioch concocted. The actual deal is said to be much more than that from Columbus' perspective, at least from what Brooks has surmised.
My apologies.

Regardless, either trade is bad.

Don't want Kreider to go the other way.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBanks99 View Post
bobby mac on tsn last night said that mdz would HAVE to be a part of the deal in addition to dubinsky + kreider/erixon + picks.
They must be out of their minds; Columbus, that is.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:08 AM
AdamBanks99
MinnesotaMiracleMan

they're not really out of their minds. nash is the face of the franchise, and assuming they trade him, they need to get a lot back to make up for it since you're not going to get a singular player of nash's talent. with that said, sather and co would, in fact, be out of their minds if they even gave that serious consideration.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:09 AM
nevesis

Sign Kreider for the playoff push!

Old
02-17-2012, 09:12 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
That's what I want to do.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:13 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Columbus ain't geting that.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:17 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

As has already been discussed, if you sign Kreider for the playoff push it burns a year off his ELC. I don't think he would make a big enough impact for us right away to justify burning that one year.

As to Columbus wanting MDZ all i have to say is lolnicetry

Old
02-17-2012, 09:21 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers09 View Post
I have a question... to everyone saying we cant fit Nash under the cap without trading Dubi. Is it not possible to trade something along the lines of Anisimov, Wolski, Erixon, and a 1st? Is that not even plausible?
One problem with that scenario is that you are replacing 2 roster players with 1. We'd still need another forward to replace Wolski in case of injury.

As far as fitting under the cap, the issue isn't fitting him this year. That's easy. The issue is fitting him next year and beyond. Some people are of the attitude that we'll "figure it out" when the time comes. Some of us are more skeptical and don't think Nash is worth the risk.

We have 14 NHL players under contract for next season at roughly 47.8 mil (I'm not counting Kolarik). If we were to make the trade you suggest, we would still only have 14 NHL players, but they would cost roughly 53.8 mil. That would leave us with 10 mil, assuming the cap doesn't go down, for at least 8 more players (we aren't going to operate without at least 1 spare forward and 1 spare dman).

We can re-sign Biron and Prust for nearly the same as they make now, maybe just a bit more in Prust's case. MDZ will get a raise. Between the 3 of them, you're probably looking at about 4-4.5 mil. Stralman will probably be re-signed. That would be another 1 mil. Kreider will probably get a contract similar to what Erixon got, 1.75 mil with bonuses.

If the last 3 are Bickel, Mitchell and Feds/rookie/cheap FA, we could probably just make it with enough space left for injury callups. It's tight, but doable, again, assuming that the cap doesn't drop. That's a pretty big assumption right now. We know the NHL is going to try to lower the player percentage. If the cap drops even 1 mil, we'd be in trouble in this scenario.

Yes, there could be salary rollbacks, but I don't expect that to happen. The players accepted a 24% rollback last time. I don't see them accepting another one, especially with Fehr at the helm. There could be compliance buyouts, but we don't have anyone we need to buyout other than Redden and buying him out won't help us get under the in-season cap.

And then in 2013, we would have to give raises to McD, Stepan, Hagelin and Sauer. McD, Hags and Sauer will all be arbitration eligible. If McD has another season next year (or better) than he's having this year, he's going to get paid one way or another. That money has to come from somewhere. We can't expect that the cap is going to increase and provide for the money we need. Maybe we can trade one or more players to get under the cap, but then we are making the team weaker.

Nash is a risk and not a small one. I don't think you'll find anyone here who will say he is worth 7.8 mil for the next 6 seasons. So why people want to give up assets to get him and cap-strap this team for the foreseeable future is beyond me.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:21 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
This.

Ala Amonte, Weight, and Richter.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:24 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Ottawa traded for Peter Bondra in 2004

Brooks Laich and a 2nd round pick. What a horrible trade!!! Todd White was member of the Sens. He does some media work for the Sens

https://twitter.com/#!/SensReporter/...16318582358016

https://twitter.com/#!/SensReporter/...16418096410624

Ottawa lost in the conference finals to Jersey in 2003. They lost in the first round in 2004.
Shame on the Sens for changing ice time and roles.

Nash gets traded to NY, he slots in as Richards LW, AA and Hagelin rotate with Step and Gabby

The only rotation I can see affected is the PK and we have more than enough guys to handle the PK duties.

That was a mistake the coaching staff in Ottawa made. No evidence pointing to Torts making the same mistake.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:25 AM
MSG the place to be*

The biggest problem on here is that people don't realize the playoffs are a crapshoot with or without Nash.

16 teams make it. 100% / 16 = 6.25%

You can bump up some teams closer to 10% or if you feel strongly maybe 15% and some teams down to 2-3%. But every team has a chance. Every team is also flawed. And most importantly, bounces and good/bad fortune play a huge factor. One play can swing a game and one game can swing a series.

Acquring Nash won't effect whether a deflection goes inches inside or outside the post. It won't effect whether the defenseman's clearing attempt grazes the glass or goes over the glass for a penalty. It won't effect whether a bad call is made against us or the opposition. The list could go on and on.

Everyone points to 1994 and there is a reason for that...because it's 1994. It's the only time in 72 years where everything broke right for us. If we want to raise a 2012 banner we are going to need another string of miracles.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Seems more like he's parroting Dreger (I think it was him?) who was parroting Brooks who speculated that's what Columbus would want

Either way, I can't see the Rangers trading Del Zotto at this point.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:31 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Seems more like he's parroting Dreger (I think it was him?) who was parroting Brooks who speculated that's what Columbus would want

I can't see any team giving up a package like that. And then taking on a huge contract? The Jackets are going to price themselves out.

02-17-2012, 09:31 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
This.

Ala Amonte, Weight, and Richter.
Not a chance. Torts isn't going to add a rookie he doesn't know and doesn't trust at this point in the season. And the Rangers aren't going to burn a year off his ELC just to find out if he can help this team this year. The odds are against him making a significant contribution.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:32 AM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
That's what I want to do.
I don't know why this kid is so into school and staying for as long as he can. If he is truly NHL ready, he needs to be out there.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:33 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
The biggest problem on here is that people don't realize the playoffs are a crapshoot with or without Nash.

16 teams make it. 100% / 16 = 6.25%

You can bump up some teams closer to 10% or if you feel strongly maybe 15% and some teams down to 2-3%. But every team has a chance. Every team is also flawed. And most importantly, bounces and good/bad fortune play a huge factor. One play can swing a game and one game can swing a series.

Acquring Nash won't effect whether a deflection goes inches inside or outside the post. It won't effect whether the defenseman's clearing attempt grazes the glass or goes over the glass for a penalty. It won't effect whether a bad call is made against us or the opposition. The list could go on and on.

Everyone points to 1994 and there is a reason for that...because it's 1994. It's the only time in 72 years where everything broke right for us. If we want to raise a 2012 banner we are going to need another string of miracles.
Then what's the point of getting any good player since it won't affect the breaks. We need to put together a team full of scrubs.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I can't see any team giving up a package like that.
Yeah, again, Nash is a good player but he's not a superstar. I'm tired of hearing how "oh he's never had any support in Columbus, boo hoo"

Gaborik didn't have any support in his first year with the Rangers and he still scored more goals and more points than Nash ever has

Great players, star players, succeed with or without support.

Nash is paid like a star player, but plays like a very good player.

And he's certainly not worth gutting the team over and there's no way the Rangers do that when they've played so well this year as a team. Picks and prospects would be my best offer and if Columbus wants the moon then they can get it from someone else

Old
02-17-2012, 09:34 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

And Brooks said this morning that Kreider is just about untouchable. So, right now, if Columbus is demanding any of MDZ, McD, Stepan or Kreider, Nash won't be a Ranger.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:34 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Will never happen.

As far as Im concerned, the best option is staying pat

Next best is trading for some depth guys at a cheap price

The two worst options are trading key assets for a big contract or rushing a prospect to fill a need.

There are still questions out there about Kreider's hockey IQ - those get rectified with some seasoning in the AHL.

With or without a big deal, this team should be expected to make a playoff run. Kreider is supposed to come up, with zero experience, and make some sort of impact for that? Thats almost unfair to him. Plus Torts would never play him. Its silly.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:38 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Then what's the point of getting any good player since it won't affect the breaks. We need to put together a team full of scrubs.
You assemble the best team possible and maximize the part of the equation that you can control. But good fortune is uncontrollable and is the most significant part of playoff hockey.

Nash would possibly make us a better assembled team (not guaranteed), but the amount he increases our odds at winning the cup comes nowhere close to the cost of getting him.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Just go get Carter, Slats.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:39 AM
AdamBanks99
MinnesotaMiracleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The Jackets are going to price themselves out.
this.

i think more and more people are starting to think that they won't end up trading nash pre-deadline. the blue jackets will have so many more options once the season is over and teams can reassess their needs.

i think carter will get dealt to the kings and maybe vermette gets dealt, but that's about it.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:39 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Will never happen.

As far as Im concerned, the best option is staying pat

Next best is trading for some depth guys at a cheap price

The two worst options are trading key assets for a big contract or rushing a prospect to fill a need.

There are still questions out there about Kreider's hockey IQ - those get rectified with some seasoning in the AHL.

With or without a big deal, this team should be expected to make a playoff run. Kreider is supposed to come up, with zero experience, and make some sort of impact for that? Thats almost unfair to him. Plus Torts would never play him. Its silly.
Stranger things have happened before.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Columbus can ask for the Empire State Building, doesn't mean they'll get it. Nash's return won't be as high as everyone is thinking and Columbus is hoping. Sather is no slouch he's not going to cave to Howson's demands. Either he'll find something that works and is fair or he'll let another team over pay significantly.

Closed Thread