Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Wild pre-deadline Master Plan

Old
02-15-2012, 11:39 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

vCash: 500
Plus... Even though he has hands of cement, he has turned into one of my favorite players.

I'd prefer to see him traded to a contender, hit free agency, realize he loves Minnesota and then re-signs with us July 1st for 2.5 million per year for 4 years...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:52 PM
OpRedDawn*

vCash: 127
I'd rather see him resigned. Sure this year is lost, but next year I think he'll be important (i plan on the wild making the playoffs next year).

OpRedDawn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
I'd rather see him resigned. Sure this year is lost, but next year I think he'll be important (i plan on the wild making the playoffs next year).

(too soon?)

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Hi Guys. Coming in peace here.

Was wondering if Brodziak has ever played wing? The Sharks are in need of a tweener and he should fit in nicely. We are pretty good with centers though and are mainly interested in wingers.

Thanks.

02-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Can't see why he couldn't. He forechecks and plays hard.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 04:03 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
Hi Guys. Coming in peace here.

Was wondering if Brodziak has ever played wing? The Sharks are in need of a tweener and he should fit in nicely. We are pretty good with centers though and are mainly interested in wingers.

Thanks.
When we acquired Brodziak, he was stated as:

"A gritty, hard working winger, who can take and win face-offs."

He has only been used at center.

Old
02-15-2012, 11:26 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Sell what we can and don't look back. Picks and prospects are preferred. Wouldn't mind getting a 2nd rd pick somehow considering we don't have one due to the Burns trade.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownDefense View Post
We don't necessarily have to trade that high into the draft. Looking at the past few drafts. These players have already made an impact and were drafted 6-10th overall: Petrieoangelo(sp?), Boychuk, Hodgson, Cowen, Ekman-Larsson, Kadri, Paarjvii-Svenson, Skinner, Connolly, and Burmistrov, not to mention FBJ - Granlund. Even if we don't get into the Top 5, we can still land an impact player, we don't have enough depth prospect wise yet. Not all of them will pan out and I'd rather have multiple first rounders instead of moving up say 2-3 spots for a guy who probably isn't all that much better than a guy 2-3 spots below him.

Right now we're sitting 10th overall draft wise if it happened today, and a lot of teams are 2-3 wins away from making us 5th overall. We could still end up in the Top 5, but I'm assuming us still winning the odd one and with Lats/Bouchard coming back will make us better will still have us sitting 6-10th overall.

* 1. Nail Yakupov
* 2. Mathew Dumba
* 3. Filip Forsberg
* 4. Morgan Rielly
* 5. Alex Galchenyuk
* 6. Griffin Reinhart
* 7. Mikhail Grigorenko
* 8. Matt Finn
* 9. Ryan Murray
* 10. Jacob Trouba

Here's the current ranked Top 10. After Forsberg it starts to drop off immediately. Hell, Grigorenko is sitting 7th provided he stays there. On D, is there really much of a difference from Rielly to Finn? 6 D make up the Top 10 and I'd rather not waste two first rounders just to move up a few spots, when Finn, Reinhart, or Murray could be as good as Rielly and he has an ACL tear which will slow his development.
If your going to sit here and tell me that Galchenyuk, Grigorenko are "huge drop-offs" thats just ridiculous...Forsberg is highly overrated...Id take Galchenyuk and Grigorenko over him in a heartbeat...even Trouba, Murray intrigue me more.

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Beegoalie

To add to my post^ don't want to give anyone the impression that I believe this is a deep draft...because this isn't a deep draft...its not...but those two plus maybe one other defenseman isn't a big drop off from Forsberg..

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:45 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
To add to my post^ don't want to give anyone the impression that I believe this is a deep draft...because this isn't a deep draft...its not...but those two plus maybe one other defenseman isn't a big drop off from Forsberg..
The depth of the draft depends upon what you're looking for.

It's top heavy. If you mingled this year and last year's prospects, the top 10 would probably include 6-7 guys from 2012.

It's deep on quality defensemen. Teams will be able to pick up relatively safe, quality defensemen through the majority of the first round.

It's weak on the high-end forward front. Last year the fifth forward selected was Zibanejad, this year it could be Gaunce. The seventh forward last year was Couturier, this year it could be Faksa or Aberg. It's not out of the question that a guy who went undrafted last year could be one of the top 10 forwards drafted this year.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:41 AM
mnwildgophers

As far as our deadline plan goes, I think we need to capitalize on a sellers' market.

1. Obviously, we all know the Zidlicky situation. He needs to go, but I'm sure we can get at least a 2nd and decent prospect plus maybe even a rostered player that might be nice.

2. Zanon, get rid of him, trade him for a 4th maybe? Get something for him IMO, he isn't doing anything here.

3. There seems to be a lot of interest from Pitt fans in Setoguchi, I don't think he should be untouchable, he's been playing well, see if we can get some sort of overpayment from them otherwise, we can hang onto him, but I think we'd be foolish to not look at all of our options.

4. Trade Brodziak. I love what he brings, but we need to trade him for futures at this time. He's been a great player for us, but we don't need another guy like him at this time, we're going through a transitional phase. I don't want to see more than $2.5M going to this guy.

5. Everyone is available for the right price, dangle some guys and hope for an overpayment and just continue to build for next year and the years beyond.

I think we need to give up the playoff hope because we are currently sitting 6 points out (with a game in hand). The current playoff pace is actually rather low sitting at about 92 points, but that could rise up here (we can conservatively say it takes about 94-95 points to make it). We would have to get 1.44 points a game to make it right now. I don't see how we can do this with where we are at. We need to sell and build for next year.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:53 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
3. There seems to be a lot of interest from Pitt fans in Setoguchi, I don't think he should be untouchable, he's been playing well, see if we can get some sort of overpayment from them otherwise, we can hang onto him, but I think we'd be foolish to not look at all of our options.
The problem with moving a player like Seto is he's exactly filling one of the big holes on this team. Years of "first round busts" have left us without players in that 23-26 year old range. If Lats can get healthy, our "skill" players in that age range are Seto, Lats, and Clutter (if you consider him a skill player, he's a tweener). Any trade involving Seto would have to return an at least a second pairing defenseman who is about the same age. I don't imagine there's many of those available right now.

Old
02-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
As far as our deadline plan goes, I think we need to capitalize on a sellers' market.

1. Obviously, we all know the Zidlicky situation. He needs to go, but I'm sure we can get at least a 2nd and decent prospect plus maybe even a rostered player that might be nice.

2. Zanon, get rid of him, trade him for a 4th maybe? Get something for him IMO, he isn't doing anything here.

4. Trade Brodziak. I love what he brings, but we need to trade him for futures at this time. He's been a great player for us, but we don't need another guy like him at this time, we're going through a transitional phase. I don't want to see more than $2.5M going to this guy.

5. Everyone is available for the right price, dangle some guys and hope for an overpayment and just continue to build for next year and the years beyond.

I think we need to give up the playoff hope because we are currently sitting 6 points out (with a game in hand). The current playoff pace is actually rather low sitting at about 92 points, but that could rise up here (we can conservatively say it takes about 94-95 points to make it). We would have to get 1.44 points a game to make it right now. I don't see how we can do this with where we are at. We need to sell and build for next year.
No way to we trade Seto. That would look bad on Fletcher's part considering he hasn't even been here a year yet. The top line is finally playing like a top line and I'm not willing to break that up.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If Fletch keeps admitting to mistakes (Barker, Havlat, Zidlicky) he's going to find himself out of a job.

Old
02-17-2012, 10:05 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
The problem with moving a player like Seto is he's exactly filling one of the big holes on this team. Years of "first round busts" have left us without players in that 23-26 year old range. If Lats can get healthy, our "skill" players in that age range are Seto, Lats, and Clutter (if you consider him a skill player, he's a tweener). Any trade involving Seto would have to return an at least a second pairing defenseman who is about the same age. I don't imagine there's many of those available right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
No way to we trade Seto. That would look bad on Fletcher's part considering he hasn't even been here a year yet. The top line is finally playing like a top line and I'm not willing to break that up.
I agree with both you, but I'm saying if we can get a massive overpayment, we have to look at it. It's a sellers' market. We put him out there and see what we can get, if it's nothing good, we pull him back and hang on to him. I think we have to see what we can get for him because we need help everywhere, and yes, I understand that we need the offense, but if you can some sort of defenseman + a few prospects or whatever it may be, we don't have to force it. I would just see what the interest level is.

Old
02-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If Fletch keeps admitting to mistakes (Barker, Havlat, Zidlicky) he's going to find himself out of a job.
Barker... yes
Havlat... meh, not really a mistake, just ran his course here, and we turned him into something good
Zidlicky... not a mistake to re-sign, just a style clash with the coach

I'd rather have him admit and try to fix them, than steadfast denial.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:11 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
1. Barker was a mistake.
2. Havlat was not. No brainer to sign him when he called the Wild. He turned into Heatley.
3. Zidlicky was also not a mistake. No one could foresee the conflict he would have with Yeo.

There are a couple of other mistakes that you've missed, but in reality, Fletcher seems to have Leipold's trust, so if I were him, i wouldn't be too terribly worried about job security.

Old
02-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

As would I but I'm not really holding my breath.

Old
02-17-2012, 10:25 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Zid worked great under Richards until he was injured. If we obtain fair market value for him, there's not really a way to call him a genuine mistake.

As was mentioned, Havlat (whom we obtained for free) put up 116 points in 151 games with the team, then was converted into Heatley who has put up 41 points in 57 games with the team and seems to be well liked by the staff, players, and fans. I don't know of any way you could call him a mistake.

Old
02-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well regardless of who Fletch sells before the deadline, he needs to add some quality depth to the Wild system in the NHL/AHL. Can't keep calling up guys like Peters, Ortmeyer, Taffe, Disalavatore, etc and then trading for guys like Christensen and Powe and the like. Take care of that in the offseason when the cost of adding players is so much less.

Old
02-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Dee Oh Cee

AHL depth is coming that's for sure...in the names of Larsson, Zucker, Coyle, Brodin, Phillips. Not to mention NHL depth in Granlund and Bulmer.

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:45 AM
CG5

from Adam Wells @ Bleacher Report
Quote:
Mikael Granlund, Minnesota Wild

The 19-year-old Finnish star has been lighting up the lights in the SM-liiga and is not far from making his debut in the NHL.

While the Wild do not have a lot of incentive to move the young stud, they do have a talented forward in Mikko Koivu. He doesn't have the goal-scoring ability of Granlund, but he knows how to handle the offense and is a much better passer.

Giving Granlund a new home would fetch the Wild quite a hefty return if they wanted to take a win-now approach.
looks like someone was tossing darts at the board to come up with a story.

CG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Good point.

One reason I'm not advocating a Seto trade is because of the age gap between the Wild vets and the kids in Housty. He fills a nice role, depth scorer in early 20's. Once they start coming up and playing top six he and Clutter should drop back to the 3rd line.

There is a similar issue on the D though, where they are missing some top end D-men and have to rely on guys who aren't ready for prime time yet (Falk, Scandella, Spurgeon getting bigger minutes). 1-2 quality D-men would be huge for this team.

Old
02-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Of course, the Wild should take a "win now!" approach. Because going down faster than a <inappropriate reference> indicates this is their year.

Old
02-17-2012, 10:56 AM
mnwildgophers

I think Granlund is basically the only untouchable thing in the Wild organization (and even he has a price). Bleacher report doing a great job as always