Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Wild pre-deadline Master Plan

Old
02-17-2012, 11:23 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
The real promise from this season's experience is that we'd likely have survived if we had someone to call up when injuries hit our forwards. As DoC mentioned, that's being resolved all on its own for next season in the form of Zucker-Coyle-Phillips as well as the forwards out of Granlund, Bulmer, and Larsson who don't make the team out of camp. Even a guy like Palmer (who's apparently close to making a return!) would have been a huge help if he hadn't been injured.

We'll still have the defensive depth issue (and perhaps it'll even be worse if we don't trade for/sign some depth or draft a guy eligible to go directly to Houston) but with the injuries early in the year (remember when we had to sign Fredheim just to have 6 defensemen?) I think it became clear that we were getting it done with plugs on defense. I don't see why we can't do the same next season, especially if Brodin is ready to step in and Scandella continues to improve.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I wonder if Yeo's system is wearing down forwards not just over the game but through the season. Early on the Wild would be flying and aggressive and doing fine with scrubs on D, but later in the year the forwards just aren't winning those battles and being aggressive. Then the team gets stuck in their end, takes bad penalties, and gives up goals far more often.

Getting younger next year should help quite a bit, but I'd have to think adding a stud defenseman in addition to Brodin would be a huge help for the team. To be able to get the puck out as well as defend properly under pressure rather than taking penalties and/or icing the puck.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:38 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I wonder if Yeo's system is wearing down forwards not just over the game but through the season. Early on the Wild would be flying and aggressive and doing fine with scrubs on D, but later in the year the forwards just aren't winning those battles and being aggressive. Then the team gets stuck in their end, takes bad penalties, and gives up goals far more often.

Getting younger next year should help quite a bit, but I'd have to think adding a stud defenseman in addition to Brodin would be a huge help for the team. To be able to get the puck out as well as defend properly under pressure rather than taking penalties and/or icing the puck.
i think our D has been the biggest issue in wearing down our forwards. when we were flying our D did a good job of getting the puck out thus focusing the attack in the offensive zone and letting our guys be the attackers. on our long losing slid (minus the few games we looked good) we've had trouble getting the puck out of the zone leaving our guys chasing after the puck and getting gassed, when you have a few of those shifts in a row it takes a lot out of you, when you combine that with some penalty filled games and being on the road a ton it all adds up and leaves a worn hockey player.

having some dman who can break up the play in our zone and get it out will help and Brodin is the guy who can do that, but it will take more then him to get it done.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:40 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

The top line doesn't seem to have much trouble with playing the system, at least they haven't over the home stand. I think the wear is mostly from players playing up in the lineup. The second and third lines really only have one guy on each who is playing in his real role. I imagine if we magically found two new second line forwards so Brodziak and Johnson could go back down to the third, we'd be fresher.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 01:36 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
our d was not doing any better of a job at the beginning of the year than it is now--our forwards were a lot more active and engaged in our end early on, but it's obvious that has tapered off. by design or just as someone said because they're worn. Getting younger should help in theory, but truth is our forwards were shouldering a big part of the defensive burden and that's going to grind down anyone after a while.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:14 PM
BLBarmada

The playoffs were never a reasonable goal, too many team are better then us.

We're about to starting reaping the rewards of the 2009 draft, but now were rather bare. So we need to sell, and have a strong draft this year.

Granlund should have and impact, but I think 50 points is what we should expect, nothing more. He needs time to adjust and to get bigger.

Brodin may not be leaving Sweden this summer.

Bulmer, will probably make the team next year.

Coyle, will see time in the AHL, but should be a regular soon.

Larsson wild card, might make the team out of camp, he's coming along nicely.

Then there's, Zucker and Haula who will most likely stay in the NCAA.

We need to trade what we can.

So, that mean Zids, Brodziak, Zanon, Harding, Cullen etc. All of them have value to contending teams.

Our biggest prospect need, is a PMD/OFD.

Say we acquire a 2nd 1st, Mike Matheson's our guy, he's a project and BC committed(strong commitment, turned down the memorial cup host, rights are owned by Moncton and may report there) but he can move the puck well, I saw him in AAA frequently last year.

And with our higher pick we take the BPA.

We need prospects, and to build from within.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

The biggest thing next year I think is if Brodin can make the team out of camp. We need him to be solid and quickly. D is by far our biggest concern right now because thats one of the pillars of Yeo's system, and our defense looks like swiss cheese most nights.

Granlund, Coyle, yeah thats great, we might actually have some skilled players next year, but all the scoring in the world wont mean jack if we cant keep the other team from scoring on us.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:03 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post

Then there's, Zucker and Haula who will most likely stay in the NCAA.
not to nitpick but I think Russo said Fletcher wants Zucker to play with the Wild after the NCAA season is over. Pretty sure that would rule out a return to college.

Old
02-17-2012, 11:21 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
I would be very surprised if Brodin does't win a spot next season.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Kari Takko

I am in the "we need to sell" camp. It'll be best for our future. Also, whatever we have to do to acquire Zemgus Girgensons, we should. I got a chance to watch Dubuque/Muskegon tonight and the kid is a monster. He was the best player on the ice and it wasn't close.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:40 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I would be very surprised if Brodin does't win a spot next season.
it sure as hell wouldn't take much.

Old
02-18-2012, 12:54 AM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
I am in the "we need to sell" camp. It'll be best for our future. Also, whatever we have to do to acquire Zemgus Girgensons, we should. I got a chance to watch Dubuque/Muskegon tonight and the kid is a monster. He was the best player on the ice and it wasn't close.
You mean Colton Gillies 2.0?

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:23 AM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

We have 59 pts... The lowest team in the east has 55 and that and mtl has 58 then three teams in west close to us as well... i say screw playoffs sell sell sell and get some more good proapects in our prospect pool

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:25 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I will say this again; more serviceable defensemen in this year's FA crop than forwards and both have been extremely sore spots for Minnesota.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:02 AM
Kari Takko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
You mean Colton Gillies 2.0?
They're similar. The only difference is ZG's ability to pass, shoot, and his silky mitts.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:18 AM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
not to nitpick but I think Russo said Fletcher wants Zucker to play with the Wild after the NCAA season is over. Pretty sure that would rule out a return to college.

Yes it most definitely does, who knows if he'll leave though ?

As for Brodin, we can't just expect him to come in and be a rock all night long right away. He's going to need time.

To the OP about Grigensons, I saw him once and liked him, would love to have him.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
They're similar. The only difference is ZG's ability to pass, shoot, and his silky mitts.
I agree, he's got some great offensive potential.

Was just making a joke about how TSN's midseason rankings compare Girgensons to Gillies. I mean, who in their right mind compares a kid who's getting ready to be drafted with another kid who just got waived? Couldn't they compare him to another player who has had a successful career in the NHL?

*sigh* TSN.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote