HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Should Sabourin start Wednesday?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-09-2003, 07:52 PM
  #1
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,272
vCash: 500
Should Sabourin start Wednesday?

I don't exactly blame McLennan for the loss last night. But I think Sabourin should be given the start against Chicago. If for no other reason, at least it changes things up.

Opinions?

kruezer is offline  
Old
11-09-2003, 10:28 PM
  #2
flamesfan12
Registered User
 
flamesfan12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Beaumont
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,970
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
I'd give Sabourin the start. Something needs to change and hopefully this could wake up the flames. Also get Saprykin back in the lineup.

flamesfan12 is offline  
Old
11-09-2003, 10:37 PM
  #3
Flamin' Griz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
I'd blame McLennan or Sabourin for the loss, either one. 4 goals that should have been stopped. We lost because of our goaltending in Columbus, no question.

Flamin' Griz is offline  
Old
11-09-2003, 10:41 PM
  #4
Tyler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vancouver / Calgary
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
I dont think Sabourin is ready to start, and I dont think the Flames need him playing in a game that will ultimately determine how the rest of this month will play out. I think whats best for this club is to wait out McLennan and hope he can put together a few consecutive wins and help get this team back above the .500 mark.

In the meantime, Im praying that Sutter will land us a decent #1 within the week, because this November is beginning to look an awful lot like last year's...

Tyler is online now  
Old
11-09-2003, 11:48 PM
  #5
calgarylen13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Roskilde
Country: San Marino
Posts: 1,016
vCash: 500
I say we need to cut procrastinating. We spend to much time thinking about whats going wrong, and how things aren't going right, and if we wait and wait it will get better, and it just never seems to do just that. If we want any hope of making the Playoffs the facts need to be dealt with as soon as possible, instead of waiting until its too late as always.

McLennan has been as reasonable as i'd suspect a backup goaltender in a starters position, i wouldn't blame him for the losses, however its obvious he isn't a decent starting goaltender...Neither is Turek, nor Sabourin however at the end of the day no matter which one of them we use it seems fair to assume that we'll be conceeding 2-4 goals a game...how do we best adequately deal with that, generating some offence.

We can't afford to wait for Iginla and Conroy too long to get back on track. Yes, when they're in form they are great, however when they're not performing and eating up just under 1/3 of our payroll, its silly to wait around hoping for a miracle. Its as simple as they improve on this road trip, or ship them out as soon as possible, before its too late. With the money saved from these two players, i'm sure we could then afford 3/4 20 goal scorers, which at the end of the day i know i'd prefer to rely on a team with four players scoring than two.

Either way, the facts remain that things need to be dealt with, and i believe a teams depth is created by the scoring being shared by several players, than expecting Iginla and Conroy to do everything.

With more players contributing, it'll force some of those fringe players to play better or they'll be in the minors, and hopefully make us a better team if anything.
Well, there's my two cents worth, i'm sure many will disagree, and prefer to play the waiting game...however i think most would agree seven years is a long enough wait.

calgarylen13 is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 03:50 AM
  #6
Badger Bob
Registered User
 
Badger Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: in my happy place
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin' Griz
4 goals that should have been stopped. We lost because of our goaltending in Columbus, no question.
No doubt. When Jody Shelley suddenly becomes Brendan Shanahan, the goalie deserves the brunt of the blame for the loss.

Badger Bob is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 09:31 AM
  #7
Flames Draft Watcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakin' Saprykin
Is Turek really out for more than a month?
Yes. Sutter recently said on the radio it could be 1-3 months.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 09:32 AM
  #8
Flames Draft Watcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
I would start Sabourin. He gives me more confidence. In the Columbus game I would say the first two goals than McLennan gave up were both quite stoppable and those are the types of saves we need to get in order to be a good team.

We're just not good enough to win consistently with average goaltending. I'm still hoping that we'll make a move shortly.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 09:48 AM
  #9
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,353
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
I would start Sabourin. He gives me more confidence. In the Columbus game I would say the first two goals than McLennan gave up were both quite stoppable and those are the types of saves we need to get in order to be a good team.

We're just not good enough to win consistently with average goaltending. I'm still hoping that we'll make a move shortly.

I'd go with Sabourin as well. Each shot that McLennan faces, I worry about. Sabourin looks alot more faster, he just needs to get used to the NHL game. I'm sticking to what I said before - I would not be surprized if Sabourin took McLennan's spot while Turek's gone.

BTW - anyone remember Ken Sabourin? He could sure clear the front of the net!

FLAMESFAN is online now  
Old
11-10-2003, 10:33 AM
  #10
Flamin' Griz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Well, Sabourin's given up two really bad game winners in two games so I'm not sure what about that gives you confidence. I'm not saying McLennan is the guy to go with, but let's not get silly with the Sabourin stuff. He hasn't played well at all.

Flamin' Griz is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 01:00 PM
  #11
EquabaleAce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 662
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
this is completely unrelated to the topic, i'm sorry about that but i saw the game yesterday against columbus, and i thought that was one of the best games i saw in a really long time. do the flames play like this on a regular basis, and if they do then you guys definetly have the toughest team in the league

also my habs fire like 35 - 40 shots a game and still lose so i feel for you guys

EquabaleAce is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 01:10 PM
  #12
Jeffoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
I don't think it really matters who gets the start. They both seem to have equal skill. We don't have lots of depth in goaltending right now. I wish I was around for Calgary's glory day's.

Question: how long does Turoks contract last?

Jeffoo is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 01:36 PM
  #13
Flames Draft Watcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin' Griz
Well, Sabourin's given up two really bad game winners in two games so I'm not sure what about that gives you confidence. I'm not saying McLennan is the guy to go with, but let's not get silly with the Sabourin stuff. He hasn't played well at all.
Just his style and his size. He takes up the whole lower half of the net. McLennan scares me when he's in the net, I just have no confidence in him.

To me the Sanderson blast is nowhere near as horrid as the Shelley wraparound.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 02:17 PM
  #14
Sutter Brother
Registered User
 
Sutter Brother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 101
vCash: 563
Sabourin

I don't thinks Sabourin is bad at all. Consider the scenario's he's been thrust into:
His first and only start was VS. Dallas on the road. the Flames were up 3-1;then Guerin beat the Flames on his own almost.
Last three games he has played he was coming in cold in the third period after the flames are down 3-0. Call it a wake-up call to the team and/or Noodles perhaps but the kid still deserves a chance to get a win.

Sutter Brother is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 04:23 PM
  #15
Flamin' Griz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakin' Saprykin
Thats to be expected from a goalie who has probably never seen a shot faster than 75 mph and something that will get better with experience, though the Flames might not have time to wait for that to get better.
What?

That may be the most naive thing I have ever seen on a hockey messageboard. You think no one in the AHL or QMJHL shoots harder than 75 MPH?

That's just nuts.

Flamin' Griz is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 04:25 PM
  #16
Flamin' Griz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Calgary are one of my favorite teams in the NHL, maybe a top three and this is Sutter's type team, I remember telling you befroe the season that Calgary has the hardest hitting defense in the NHL bar none. If Commadore was playing it would be even tougher. Sutter needs some more size up front IMO. A player like Isbister or Rupp would be perfect.
Isbister is a waste of a pair of skates, glad he's in Edmonton.

Flamin' Griz is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 05:02 PM
  #17
Flamin' Griz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
He is doing great on the best 4th line in the league, no matter what you say the guy is tough and a Sutter type player. I wouldn't have gave up what edmonton did to get him but Edmonton also got the next Wendel Clark with Torres.
He's doing great in between healthy scratches you mean?

Flamin' Griz is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 05:12 PM
  #18
Flamin' Griz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Yep, it's the same old story with Isbister. He gets complacent sucks the life out of his line for a half dozen games or so, gets benched and comes back and plays like he's capable for a little while until his laziness sets in again.

Flamin' Griz is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 06:12 PM
  #19
Flamin' Griz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Torres has looked as good as any Oiler in the 2 games they've dropped to the Flames.

Flamin' Griz is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 09:42 PM
  #20
icarus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Kingston, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Sutter needs some more size up front IMO. A player like Isbister or Rupp would be perfect.
We had a player like Isbister. His name was Rob Niedermayer. The Flames did not make the playoffs with him in the lineup.

icarus is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 01:06 AM
  #21
EquabaleAce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 662
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
don't ever user isbister in the same breath as wendel clark

EquabaleAce is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 01:35 PM
  #22
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adammacisaac
don't ever user isbister in the same breath as wendel clark
well I think he was comparing Torres to Clark, but I guess Izzy was in the same post.

kruezer is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 01:37 PM
  #23
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
I used Torres's name with Clark, Isbister's name with Stevenson.
You beat me to it.

kruezer is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.