HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline Approaching: Defender?

Old
02-17-2012, 12:37 PM
One Man Wolfpack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStock View Post
Unlike many people, I definitely do understand this year is an off-year for Schenn, just like the season was for JVR until he got injured. He was really solid for you guys last season, and with more consistency that comes with age, he could be a really good top 3-4 defender for years to come. The whole brother thing is also making it more attractive. I'm sure Luke and Brayden would really thrive in that kind of environment. JVR has shown glimpses of what he can do. If you watched the playoffs at all, he was literally putting the team on his shoulders and embarassing Chara, arguably the best defender in the world.
If the deal does in fact go through, I'll reserve judgement for at least a couple of years as to who, if anyone, won.
Thank you for a NON homer response. I did watch that series. I consider myself somewhat of a "Flyers Fan". I also know and have seen what JVR COULD become. Hense my interest for the Leafs. I also know that having BOTH Schenn brotheres would be special to, as again why I would be interested in Brayden to the Leafs. If anyone hasn't seen Luke when he's "On" though, they wouldn't be able to appreciate why a trade could work. If he was a Flyer with the history the flyers have in the players that the fanbase covet. If not a Leaf, Luke Schenn screams Flyer to me. Thats just me though.

One Man Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:37 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
L.Schenn for Voracek.
Ha! Schenn ain't worth it.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 01:45 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Looks like Gill is off the market.

@***********:
Montreal Canadiens trade D, Hal Gill to the Nashville Predators.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3#post44323653

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 01:51 PM
PJStock*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Ha! Schenn ain't worth it.
How, exactly, is Voracek's value that much higher than Schenn's? If anything, Flyers would probably have to add a mid-low pick to even it up.

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Gill to Montreal. Looks like the price for defensemen increased since the Flyers move yesterday. Flyers still are reported to be in the market for another defenseman and with two of the realistic guys already moved it will be interesting to see who they got after.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 01:52 PM
PJStock*

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Man Wolfpack View Post
Thank you for a NON homer response. I did watch that series. I consider myself somewhat of a "Flyers Fan". I also know and have seen what JVR COULD become. Hense my interest for the Leafs. I also know that having BOTH Schenn brotheres would be special to, as again why I would be interested in Brayden to the Leafs. If anyone hasn't seen Luke when he's "On" though, they wouldn't be able to appreciate why a trade could work. If he was a Flyer with the history the flyers have in the players that the fanbase covet. If not a Leaf, Luke Schenn screams Flyer to me. Thats just me though.
I think you're 100% right. The guy would be a fan favorite in no time. Flyers fans have a weakness for big, hard-hitting d.

Old
02-17-2012, 01:55 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Hal Gill to Nashville for Geoffrion, 2nd, and Slaney.

First, seeing that, the price that the Flyers paid for Grossman seems reasonable--Geoffrion is still a pretty decent prospect, right? Certainly more valuable than a third I would think?

Second, Nashville picked up a defenseman...what does that mean for who might or might not be available? Two ways to read it: they are gunning up for a legitimate all-or-nothing run this year, or they are preparing in case one of their prominent defenseman needs to be moved.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 01:58 PM
PJStock*

At this point, I'm almost 100% sure it won't be another Kubina, or Allen coming to Philly. Holmgren is likely waiting for the Leafs/L.A to make their moves for Nash. Whichever team loses out will be Homer's trading partner. Look for d-men like Schenn, Gunnarson, Johnson or Voynov get moved for a forward/picks. I highly doubt Carle or Meszaros get moved since Snider wants Homer to add, not substract. Carle's rights will probably get traded for a 3rd rounder at the draft. Meanwhile I don't think they are quite ready to give up on Meszaros yet.

Old
02-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Colorado is more than likely going to move one of their defensemen, why not make a move for one of them? Most likely will come cheap and will fit perfectly in the 6th spot while having low cap hits.

O'Byrne is a guy with a similar mold like Grossman, slightly taller and has a right shot. He blocks a ton of shots, big stay at home defenseman, small cap hit, stays out of the box, and could be a solid anchor on the blue line.

Old
02-17-2012, 02:32 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400

Do not want

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Pfft. I'm glad we base our entire decision making process on an own goal from the team that he doesn't even currently play for. I'm over it.

Old
02-17-2012, 04:21 PM
healthyscratch

Sorry if this has already been discussed as I haven't kept up with this thread... but this is a tweet from Dennis Bernstein a couple minutes ago:

Quote:
Dennis Bernstein @DennisTFP Close
It's not breaking news Kings Jack Johnson is being dangled. It is news that if James vanRiemsdyk plays tomorrow, JVR for JJ back on line

This is the first I've heard those names together. Is there any substance to it or is Bernstein just throwing an idea out there?

ETA: Sorry for the repost. I just went back and read some pages, seems like it's been covered already.

Last edited by healthyscratch: 02-17-2012 at 04:48 PM.
healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:37 PM
healthyscratch

And now a story about JvR/Johnson...

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phi120217.html

Old
02-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Brozgalov

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post

I don't know much about him but isn't Jack Johnson the exact type of defensemen we dont want? We already have guys who can step into the play... we need guys who can play defense... We get enough goals from forwards, we don't need someone that can score goals. DEFENSEEEEE

Brozgalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:59 PM
healthyscratch

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Kubina watch continues. Hearing offers from both Det and Philly have been made.

Old
02-17-2012, 05:00 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
I don't know much about him but isn't Jack Johnson the exact type of defensemen we dont want? We already have guys who can step into the play... we need guys who can play defense... We get enough goals from forwards, we don't need someone that can score goals. DEFENSEEEEE
Good question, I was of the thinking thats what he was. I admittedly don't know much about him either, I thought he was more of the stay at home dman. I'll go scouring for a scouting report.

Old
02-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Kubina watch continues. Hearing offers from both Det and Philly have been made.
Not sure if Kubina is worht 2nd plus?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 05:57 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Not sure if Kubina is worht 2nd plus?
A player (nhl/ahl/prospect) would need to be included. We are at 50 contracts.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:13 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Sorry if this has already been discussed as I haven't kept up with this thread... but this is a tweet from Dennis Bernstein a couple minutes ago:

This is the first I've heard those names together. Is there any substance to it or is Bernstein just throwing an idea out there?

ETA: Sorry for the repost. I just went back and read some pages, seems like it's been covered already.
If you're looking for people to believe this time of year when it comes to rumors, anyone involved with TFP is a good place to do that.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:23 PM
PJStock*

Isn't Johnson terrible defensively? I mean, he leads the Kings in minus year in and year out, and that's on a team with a strict defensive system, previously with Murray and now with Sutter. I don't know if I'd be willing to pull the trigger on that deal. The one big plus would be Johnson's one timer on the PP, he has a wicked shot from the right point and slot.

Old
02-17-2012, 07:09 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:

Thank you for posting this......Might be in JVRs best interest NOT to play well if he does play tomorrow or in the next few days ? LOL....As far as Pavel Kubina i can see BOB being part of that type of deal considering Tampa's Goalie troubles..I would hate seeing BOB sent off, because i see him getting better as time goes on as he gains more experience etc....Glad Homer is the GM because i would want nothing to do with that job.
I think Hal Gill will be a nice fit for Nashville's style of play....He is pretty slow etc, but is a good playoff performer....Looking forward to see Grossman tomorrow to try and get somewhat of an idea where we are at the moment on D, but it will surely take about 8 or 10 games [past the deadline] to really get a good sampling.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Thank you for posting this......Might be in JVRs best interest NOT to play well if he does play tomorrow or in the next few days ? LOL....As far as Pavel Kubina i can see BOB being part of that type of deal considering Tampa's Goalie troubles..I would hate seeing BOB sent off, because i see him getting better as time goes on as he gains more experience etc....Glad Homer is the GM because i would want nothing to do with that job.
I think Hal Gill will be a nice fit for Nashville's style of play....He is pretty slow etc, but is a good playoff performer....Looking forward to see Grossman tomorrow to try and get somewhat of an idea where we are at the moment on D, but it will surely take about 8 or 10 games [past the deadline] to really get a good sampling.
If we include BOB in a trade for kubina we better be getting more back in return... Anway I highly doubt that is even being considered.

Bob is undervalued,he is still young and without even looking them up I bet he has similar to if not better numbers than supposed elite young tenders like schneider and bernier.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:19 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

1 - The Nashville trade isn't that bad. Geff was passed by many players and has Watson nipping at his heels.

2 - Kubina is nice, Johnson is nicer IMO.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
1 - The Nashville trade isn't that bad. Geff was passed by many players and has Watson nipping at his heels.

2 - Kubina is nice, Johnson is nicer IMO.
Yeah but Kubina can be had for much less... and at this point I wouldnt give johnson a huge edge in overall play to be honest.

Johnson is young though and will be a very good dman for many years, but I think it is better to wait for the offseason to make a move on a top flight guy, possibly even through free agency where assets wont have to be given up.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Kaktus*

I am worried about Johnson d-sive game.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote