HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ovechkin not just for the Calder....

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2006, 08:36 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Ovechkin not just for the Calder....

but I fail to see who could challenge him for the Hart trophy.....

Old
01-17-2006, 08:58 AM
frohli44

Send a message via ICQ to frohli44 Send a message via AIM to frohli44
lots of people...JAGR...forsberg, gange, kovalchuk, spezza i dont know theres a long way to go...ovechkin wont get it though because his team is so bad...i cant think of the last player to win a hart trophy on a team that didnt make the playoffs, doesnt happen much

Old
01-17-2006, 08:58 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by london ranger

If he doesn't get the Calder it is highway robbery and it will tarnish the Calder trophy from this point forward as a political award and not an achieved trophy.

He is dominating with little or no talent around him.

Old
01-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

AO is a great player, but did he have to be drafted to a team like the Caps? Man, the nhl NEVER gets a break....

Old
01-17-2006, 09:27 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

he accounts of 50 pct of the team scoring....how can you beat that?
I don't care if they are first or last in the league......those are facts for a certified Hart!

Old
01-17-2006, 09:28 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
AO is a great player, but did he have to be drafted to a team like the Caps? Man, the nhl NEVER gets a break....

Hey, I'm hoping for the Jagr luck. Jagr was on both Pittsburgh AND Washington. Once Jagr left they got Crosby and Ovechukin(sp) respectively. Maybe after we trade Jagr we'll get one Kessel, Esposito, Taveras?

Old
01-17-2006, 09:29 AM
Scotty Hockey

Quote:
MVP will always go to a team that wins a bunch ... if the Rangers make the playoffs, it would be hard to not pick Jagr ... he is involved with what, 60%, 70% of the Rangers offense? Other candidates I am sure will be Forsberg, Marty Biron (if the Sabres keep this up), Vokoun in Nashville. etc ...

Old
01-17-2006, 09:39 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

if the Rangers get to playoffs, Renney ought to get Coach of the Year as would the Sabres coach if they did.

Jagr's accomplishments while most welcome and impressive do not match up to what Ovechkin is accomplishing in DC.

Old
01-17-2006, 10:23 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I think Jagr is going to win it for many of the same reasons Crosby will get the Calder. AO might get shut out for marketing reasons.

Old
01-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Ola

Quote:
he accounts of 50 pct of the team scoring....how can you beat that?
I don't care if they are first or last in the league......those are facts for a certified Hart!
Nah somewhere you have to draw a line between most valuble for a team and just valuble. A player who plays for a team that finnish bottom 3 in the standings shouldn't be a option for the Hart IMO. Ovechkin will get a shot at the Hart soon anyway....

Old
01-17-2006, 10:28 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
I think Jagr is going to win it for many of the same reasons Crosby will get the Calder. AO might get shut out for marketing reasons.
Its still the press that votes for it. If they would have held the vote now my bet is that AO defenitly would have won the Calder. Do you think Larry Brooks cares about NHL's marketing?

Old
01-17-2006, 10:30 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Its still the press that votes for it. If they would have held the vote now my bet is that AO defenitly would have won the Calder. Do you think Larry Brooks cares about NHL's marketing?
Sure the press votes, but who counts the votes?

Old
01-17-2006, 10:52 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
Sure the press votes, but who counts the votes?
I hope its not GWB's crew because then Crosby might have a chance....

Old
01-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
Thats a shame because Ovechkin deserves the Calder and this league is much better suited marketing Ovechkin over Crosby because IMO he is by far the better player. Well, not by far, but those Crosby vs Ovechkin threads are pointless IMO because Ovechkin can TAKE over a game and win it by himself, with way less help than Crosby gets.

Plus, Ovechkin is becoming a model NHL player and person for the youth to follow.

Old
01-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

ok, abut since when is the job description for Hart trophy "a most valuable player on a contending team" or most valuable player who plays on a team with a winning record" . Hart is not a collective trophy. for that you get presidents' or stanley cup!

I am not arguing crosby's talent, all I am saying that the most valuable player to ONE's team is Ovechkin to the Caps!

Old
01-18-2006, 11:28 AM
TrueBlue10

isn't it the press who votes to see who gets awards like the calder?

is thats true then AO is running away with it just read all the ha;f season reports, I havent read a single one that gives it to crosby.

also I havent seen one review that gives AO the hart either. some jagr though, hope he gets it.

Old
01-18-2006, 11:40 AM
xander

Quote:
ok, abut since when is the job description for Hart trophy "a most valuable player on a contending team" or most valuable player who plays on a team with a winning record"
It doesn't say that anywhere in the description. However, you can't just look at it as a matter of % of offence. With or without Ovechkin the Caps are still a bottom feeder. It doesn't matter how spectacular Ovechkin is, if his team is going to lose with him or without him then how valuable can he be (remember of course that the context of the Hart award is only 1 season)?

On the other hand you have Jagr. With Jagr the Rangers are a winning team fighting for a playoff spot for the first time in 7 years. Without Jagr the Rangers probably have a similiar record to the Caps. Thus Jagr is more valuable to his team because there would be a signifigant differance in wins and losses if they didn't have him.

Old
01-18-2006, 09:21 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

I contribute your statement to the good old London Fog

Quote:
for surely ye jest. I think he is the calder winner, but beyond that, no way jose!
The environment and pressure is Washington is virtually non existant. If he was removed from Washington's lineup how much worst could they be?

Old
01-18-2006, 09:24 PM
MMMcasserole

Why should a player get the hart for being the best player on a bottom 3 team?

Old
01-18-2006, 10:14 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
On the other hand you have Jagr. With Jagr the Rangers are a winning team fighting for a playoff spot for the first time in 7 years. Without Jagr the Rangers probably have a similiar record to the Caps. Thus Jagr is more valuable to his team because there would be a signifigant differance in wins and losses if they didn't have him.
Perfectly said, but, I do believe that AO will be in contention for this trophy for years and years. Completely disregarding what is probably the most amazing goal ive ever seen (Monday), the kid is just absolutely unreal. Did anyone catch the goal he scored against Chicago last week? Steals the puck from Barnaby, holds him off as he skates out of the corner (pure muscle, power move) then smokes another defender with a neat little deke before ripping a wrister past the goalie. If things continue the way they've been going and Crosby wins the trophy it will simply be laughable.

Old
01-18-2006, 10:17 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
It doesn't say that anywhere in the description. However, you can't just look at it as a matter of % of offence. With or without Ovechkin the Caps are still a bottom feeder. It doesn't matter how spectacular Ovechkin is, if his team is going to lose with him or without him then how valuable can he be (remember of course that the context of the Hart award is only 1 season)?

That about nails it. PArt of the consideration is also the value he brings to the team. In Jagr's case (or a playoff team) the value is that he carried the team to the playoffs.

That doesn't mean Ovechkin doesn't deserve a serious look, it simply means nothing is sign sealed and delivered yet.

Old
01-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMcasserole
Why should a player get the hart for being the best player on a bottom 3 team?
He's not just the best player on a bottom 3 team. He's one of the best players in the league this year. Easily.

Old
01-18-2006, 10:30 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

I posted and for some reason it didn't come out. Anyway as I said, I think that you can't give an MVP to a guy that's not on a playoff team (or at the very least a 9th seed or something that missed the playoffs by a point). How valuable can a guy be to a team if his team stinks? Who cares how valuable he is if his team stinks? What difference does it make if a team is 20-50-12 or 10-60-12? Big whoop.

Old
01-19-2006, 08:20 AM
alecfromtherock

The media should be stricken from the Calder voting system, very few can be trusted to vote without regard to a players nationality.

Crosby has been hyped from a very early age by the very same media that will be voting for the Calder, no conflict there

AO could lead Crosby by 15+ goals by seasons end and might be one of 7 players to reach the 50 goal mark, this years Calder should be no contest for AO.

If the points are relatively close for AO/SC then the media needs to look at what each player brings on/off the ice.

Attitudes should be #2 to stats for the Calder.

AO is what future players need to emulate for the betterment of the game of hockey.

AO is personable, charming and funny and is the future JR in terms of quotes/interviews.

Crosby is having a hard time with the Pens and does not look like he is having any fun whatsoever.

His interviews should have an attached warning: Do not listen to while operating heavy machinery.

MVP for AO is highly unlikely unless he wins the Rocket and is in the top 3 scoring.

Old
01-19-2006, 08:31 AM
bathgate

Why not Lundqvist for the calder. Where would the Rangers be without him?Granted Jagr is terrific but Lundqvist hodes the team's many flaws

Closed Thread