HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Seth Jones - Portland Winterhawks (2013 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2011, 01:16 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

vCash: 567
Does he make the WJC team this year? I know he had a good camp but it'll be interesting to see if he makes the cut.

Old
10-10-2011, 01:19 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Does he make the WJC team this year? I know he had a good camp but it'll be interesting to see if he makes the cut.
I don't see why not. I don't know of any other USA players who will be of-age and are better than him.

Old
10-10-2011, 01:22 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Quote:
I think so...even if it's only as a number 7 or 8 guy.

Old
10-10-2011, 08:17 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

vCash: 500
Now that more than myself and a couple others have seen this kid live on a number of occasions...can we squash the rumors that the kid is "only" 6'3"? That's the height I see listed for him all the time and barring him shrinking like...2-4 inches since I saw him last Thanksgiving...dude is a good 6'5"+.

Old
10-10-2011, 09:53 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
He was one of the better d-men at the US summer evaluation camp for the U20 team so I think he has a very good chance of making the team. That's especially true if Carolina doesn't release Justin Faulk.

Old
11-03-2011, 08:04 PM
30whales

Just wondering if there is any new news on Seth? Anybody know what schools he is considering if he does go the NCAA route?

Old
02-02-2012, 03:21 PM
30whales

Appears that Seth Jones is deciding between UND and some junior team or something. Everybody in Grand Forks is really hoping he decides to go to the NCAA route with UND even if he will only stay 1 or 2 years. If anybody knows anything more please let me know!

Old
02-02-2012, 03:52 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30whales View Post
Appears that Seth Jones is deciding between UND and some junior team or something. Everybody in Grand Forks is really hoping he decides to go to the NCAA route with UND even if he will only stay 1 or 2 years. If anybody knows anything more please let me know!
He will probably make his decision at the end of Feburary.

Old
02-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Brodeur

From this week's ESPN the Magazine:

Quote:
But as gifted as Jones is, he's facing a crossroads in his life that Popeye never did. Had he followed in his dad's basketball footsteps, his path to the big time would have been clear-cut: high school, then college, then the pros. But elite North American hockey prospects like Jones have an alternative to the NCAA route: playing in one of the Canadian junior hockey leagues (Western Hockey League, Ontario Hockey League or Quebec Major Junior Hockey League). So every day, the intensely contemplative Jones debates in his head whether he wants to spend next season with the WHL's Everett Silvertips, who drafted his junior rights in 2009, or the University of North Dakota, which recently supplanted Boston University atop his college list. "I lose sleep over it," says Jones.

On a recent winter afternoon at the Ann Arbor Ice Cube, the defenseman is trying to concentrate on a more pressing concern: a simple set of forearm raises. He's midway through a monthlong rehab for his separated right shoulder suffered in Team USA's final warmup game before December's World Junior Championships. Through the cinder block walls of the windowless training room, he can hear his teammates on USA's U18 squad running drills on the ice. As their captain, Jones belongs out there. Instead, he's in here alone dutifully doing his exercises. At least he can clear his mind. When he finishes for the day, he packs his shoulder in ice and sits quietly, his thoughts back to his decision, weighing the advantages and drawbacks of the Canadian juniors versus the NCAA.

If Jones joins the Silvertips, he will play a 72-game regular season, just 10 games short of an NHL workload. Proponents of junior hockey say nothing prepares you for the NHL like playing a similarly grueling schedule. The leagues are filled with draft picks, which means aspiring pro defensemen get constant in-game experience against many of the same skill players they'll end up facing at the next level. "It's not a slight against any other program," says Silvertips GM Doug Soetaert, "but the CHL is the leading producer of players in the NHL." Indeed, 56 percent of current NHL players -- including two of the league's most promising young D-men, the Kings' Drew Doughty and the Ducks' Cam Fowler -- played in Canadian juniors. But leagues in the CHL truly are "junior"; no player is older than 20.

Meanwhile, top NCAA teams like North Dakota play only 40 to 50 games, but that leaves more hours for practice and the weight room. The extra learning time spent on positioning and tactics is significant because defensemen typically take longer to develop. Likewise, the extra work with a specialized strength coach would likely help Jones get a pro-ready frame more quickly; the teenager needed two years of bulking up at the NTDP just to weigh over 200 pounds. Also, the NCAA has no age limit, so Jones would be opposing grown men as old as 25. Still, if he wants to play in the NHL in 2013, North Dakota may not be the quickest route -- only 30 percent of current NHL players have come from NCAA hockey, and one-and-dones are much less frequent than in Canadian juniors.

To ensure his academic eligibility, Jones is taking an accelerated course load at Ann Arbor's Pioneer High School (where he is technically a junior) so he can graduate this May. Of course, it may be a moot point -- Jones says he'll pick between the Silvertips and UND by the end of February. Until then, there will be last-minute visits and more sleepless nights.

"A year ago, I decided I wanted to make the NHL right after the draft," he says as he ices his shoulder back at the Ice Cube weight room. "But it could be two years. You never know." It's a crossroads for another time.

Old
02-02-2012, 06:54 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
From this week's ESPN the Magazine:
When I spoke to him last summer, he did he say he'd play the US program this year, and maybe change is mind for his draft year. I hope it happened. I'd like to see him play with potentially Ryan Murray next year.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:45 AM
30whales

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
When I spoke to him last summer, he did he say he'd play the US program this year, and maybe change is mind for his draft year. I hope it happened. I'd like to see him play with potentially Ryan Murray next year.
We don't want him playing for the Silvertips.

Old
02-04-2012, 03:41 PM
MD
#woofwoof

why?

Old
02-04-2012, 03:59 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid the Anton View Post
why?
I think the poster is a North Dakota fan judging by his avatar

Old
02-04-2012, 04:19 PM
NeilYoung

The Whl would be for him

Old
02-05-2012, 11:29 AM
30whales

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
I think the poster is a North Dakota fan judging by his avatar
Good call

Old
02-05-2012, 07:13 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
We don't want him playing for the Silvertips.
Considering how they developed Ryan Murray potentially, I think it's a great suit escpically with their longer schedule that's more adapt to the NHL.

Old
02-05-2012, 09:39 PM
goon

Seth come play at UND... The coaching staff has developed many NHL players... Names like Zach Parise, Drew Stafford, Travis Zajac, Jonathan Toews, Matt Green, Mike Commodore, Matt Frattin just to name a few, should come to mind.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:12 PM
30whales

Quote:
Considering how they developed Ryan Murray potentially, I think it's a great suit escpically with their longer schedule that's more adapt to the NHL.
Or he could play in the NCAA where he will be playing against much more physically mature players.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:49 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
How much can you really say they "developed" Ryan Murray? They've been a pretty bad team the whole time he's been there and he was pretty much the man there since he walked into the door at age 16. It's not like he came out of midget AA on a camp invite and they developed him from the ground up.

Sure, he probably benefited a bit from Hartsburg being there but I don't know how much of a factor being in Everett vs. Swift Current had to do with his current stature as a prosepct.

Old
02-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
He should go to Everett. The WHL is notoriously a strong defensive-factory (like the QMJHL is a strong Goaltending factory and the OHL is a superb forward factory).

Plus after seeing him DOMINATE against University of Denver in the preseason I know he is ALREADY NHL ready. He should go to Everett next year, go #2 overall in 2013, and then play in the NHL eating 20 minutes a game.

Old
02-05-2012, 11:38 PM
ness180

Honestly, it doesn't really matter which path this kid takes cause he'll develop none the less. Whether he chooses NCAA or CHL. It won't make a difference cause he's got the talent.

Either way, he'll be in the NHL after 1 or 2 years in the NCAA or CHL.

The kid can't go wrong choosing North Dakota or Everett. Both are very, very solid options.

Old
02-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Judrix
Kruger is our 2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
He should go to Everett. The WHL is notoriously a strong defensive-factory (like the QMJHL is a strong Goaltending factory and the OHL is a superb forward factory).

Plus after seeing him DOMINATE against University of Denver in the preseason I know he is ALREADY NHL ready. He should go to Everett next year, go #2 overall in 2013, and then play in the NHL eating 20 minutes a game.
OT: May I ask how you became a D Rose fan?

Old
02-17-2012, 04:35 PM
30whales

What is your guys prediction on what Seth decides?

Old
02-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
What is your guys prediction on what Seth decides?
Everett. Sound like he's going to be in the NHL before he's 20. Makes little sense to see him go anywhere but Major Junior.

Old
02-17-2012, 06:10 PM
txomisc

seems like he has been listed at 6'3 forever. Does that seem like an accurate current height?

Closed Thread