HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blackhawks @ Rangers

View Poll Results: Yeah?
**** 14 32.56%
**** 6 13.95%
***** 7 16.28%
******** 16 37.21%
*** 7 16.28%
*** 6 13.95%
******** 13 30.23%
Other 20 46.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
If anyone wants to use it, this would make for a GREAT avatar

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:30 AM
NYRKING30

went to the game last night, i was pretty p***** off that hank didn't start. i thought he would go tonight and marty would go sunday against columbus leaving hank with plenty of rest. even more baffled he wasnt pulled after the 3rd goal but im over it now considering where we are and considering to where i thought we would be. you can see we need to kick it up another level though clearly we looked dead last night. too many games recently where we play 40 -45 mins. atleast it wasn't a scrub team, u knew they were bound to break out of it. only plus was after the first 10 mins they kept it close the rest of the way and still put effort, which is all you can ask for i guess on an off night. now sunday i better see a dominating performance for 60 mins.

p.s why were there SO many blackhawk fans last night?

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Levitate

Biron wasn't totally to blame last night but it could have made a big difference if he could have made ONE big save in the first 5 minutes or so. Yes the Rangers D hung him out to dry, but again coming up big on one of those saves might have given the Rangers the momentum to get back into the game earlier

He played well the rest of the way but it sucks they just decided to forgot how to play hockey for the first 10 minutes/period of play

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:41 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Honestly, I feel that Biron was way out of position on the play that lead up to the penalty shot. If he was in position there would have never been a rebound like that and Girardi wouldn't have dove into the crease and played the puck with his hand. That was the beginning of the end.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Gatorade*

Biron's 5 hole is massive. Kinda strange to play the back up last night and save Lundqvist for the worst team in the league.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Biron's 5 hole is massive. Kinda strange to play the back up last night and save Lundqvist for the worst team in the league.
Well if you think about it, this is the Rangers. Let down games are what they're best at. Give Hank rest and make sure we beat Columbus, the worst team in the league. I think they were taking a gamble hoping Biron would get the W last night and then Hank would secure us a win against CBJ.

Anyway, as long as we win Sunday, I'm fine. If we lose to them, I won't be surprised though

Old
02-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Well if you think about it, this is the Rangers. Let down games are what they're best at. Give Hank rest and make sure we beat Columbus, the worst team in the league. I think they were taking a gamble hoping Biron would get the W last night and then Hank would secure us a win against CBJ.

Anyway, as long as we win Sunday, I'm fine. If we lose to them, I won't be surprised though
Wasn't Lundqvist coming off a shutout?

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:00 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
This is the most ridiculous sentiment. Yes you blame goalies for breakaways when the breakaway attempts are as weak as a 100 year old woman. Just because they're breakaways doesn't mean they're unstoppable. Goalies routinely go 3 for 3 on penalty shots on much tougher attempts.
Likewise.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:22 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
There were a ton. This is what happens when you jack up the ticket prices. Opposing fans are more willing to pay those prices as opposed to home fans.

02-17-2012, 12:26 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
If anyone wants to use it, this would make for a GREAT avatar

Y u no make right call?!

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:45 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
As far as the PS, I though Girardi was crosschecked and fell on the puck, but I had the Chicago feed and one thing you will learn watching other teams feeds is that MSG is top notch when it comes to replays, the Hawks feed didn't really have a good replay of it, and only showed it once IIRC.

I am not blaming Biron, you are correct the D was horrendous, however you need a goalie, even a backup, to make 1 or 2 of those saves, those would be big plays. Plenty of times playing goal I have made a big save on a breakaway after a defensive breakdown and my team has gone back the other way and scored, and you see that all the time. A goalie making a big save can be just as big a momentum shift as a fight, a solid PK or a goal. That is all I am saying, you need your goalie to make 1 or 2 of those breakaway saves, gamechangers. I think Biron would likely say the same thing.

In fact he did:

ďItís the beginning of the game. Itís one of those situations where you have a chance to give your team some momentum. I didnít come up with it,Ē said Biron, who entered Thursdayís match with an impressive 10-2-1 record. ďItís a chance for a goaltender to make a save to give your team either momentum or to save the game, or whatnot. That was my chance to make that big save. That was going to kind of set the tone for us and give us that chance to move forward, and I didnít do it.Ē

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/hoc...w-york-rangers

It's a similar situation to pitcher being forced into a bases-loaded jam due to shoddy fielding, and then he gives up a grand slam.

Sure, it would have been nice if the pitcher doesnt give up a huge hit, but can we solely blame the pitcher when his teammates put him in that position.

Old
02-17-2012, 12:57 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
It's a similar situation to pitcher being forced into a bases-loaded jam due to shoddy fielding, and then he gives up a grand slam.

Sure, it would have been nice if the pitcher doesnt give up a huge hit, but can we solely blame the pitcher when his teammates put him in that position.
But when he gets out of the jam he is a huge hero who picked his teammates up and gives them some momentum. All Biron needed to do was stop 2 or even 1 of 3 breakaways, instead he let all 3 in. So to use your comparison the pitcher would have just given up 12 runs in one inning. No one is going to blame the pitcher in that case?

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:59 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
There were a ton. This is what happens when you jack up the ticket prices. Opposing fans are more willing to pay those prices as opposed to home fans.
yeah man a huge contingent was there last night, the smart ones made some paper out of it.

Old
02-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Wasn't Lundqvist coming off a shutout?
Yes. I disagreed with playing Biron, understand that. I'm just trying to give a plausible explanation for why they may have went with Biron. Lundqvist had played 3 games in 4 nights against Philly, Washington, and Boston. Nothing easy about any of those games. Guy needed some rest.

Old
02-17-2012, 01:03 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Likewise.
Instead or writing "Likewise" tell me what's wrong with that statement. I remember Lundqvist playing a game against the Flyers in 06 or so and not allowing a goal on 13 shootout attempts or something. They weren't all cupcakes to the five hole either.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
went to the game last night, i was pretty p***** off that hank didn't start. i thought he would go tonight and marty would go sunday against columbus leaving hank with plenty of rest. even more baffled he wasnt pulled after the 3rd goal but im over it now considering where we are and considering to where i thought we would be. you can see we need to kick it up another level though clearly we looked dead last night. too many games recently where we play 40 -45 mins. atleast it wasn't a scrub team, u knew they were bound to break out of it. only plus was after the first 10 mins they kept it close the rest of the way and still put effort, which is all you can ask for i guess on an off night. now sunday i better see a dominating performance for 60 mins.

I don't know but I had a drunken idiot Hawk fan in front of me the whole time with his hands raised in the air goaded everyone. There did seem to be a lot of them.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Tumsh

I think Torts deserves some credit for leaving Biron in the net the whole game. Chances of a comeback were slim, and it's more important to rest Hank when possible. And as it turns out, Biron didn't let any more pucks by him.

Tumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 02:44 PM
NYRKindms

You know Biron made some HUGE saves the rest of the way. It wasn't like the rangers dominated the last 50 minutes. The Hawks were getting plenty of chances throughout and Biron made some big stops. This game could have been way worse than the final.

And to the jerks booo'ing Biron and calling for Hank during the game you should be ashamed of yourselves.

So our back up isn't super human like Hank, those defensive breakdowns are on the team no Biron.

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 02:52 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
I don't know but I had a drunken idiot Hawk fan in front of me the whole time with his hands raised in the air goaded everyone. There did seem to be a lot of them.
ill take them anyday, i wanted to knock out this devil fan behind me last week at the garden the kid was so obnoxious and annoying. he was doing play by play basically and was being a loud mouthed. as always, cooler heads prevailed and just let him have his fun for the day. most of them are still stuck in their "prime-brodeur glory years".

Old
02-17-2012, 04:52 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Instead or writing "Likewise" tell me what's wrong with that statement. I remember Lundqvist playing a game against the Flyers in 06 or so and not allowing a goal on 13 shootout attempts or something. They weren't all cupcakes to the five hole either.
You're referencing a game from 6 years ago. Stopping 3 breakaways in the 1st 10 minutes of a game is not "routine".

Look at the three guys who scored the goals -- Hossa, Toews and Sharp.

Those guys are lethal in that situation. Even if he stopped one, the Rangers still lose the game.

Sure, it would have been great if Biron stopped all three. But some goalies dont see three breakaways in week, let along the first 10 mins of a game.

Any goalie will tell you that they like getting involved in the action early to loosen up and gain momentum. But three breakaways in 10 minutes is a terrible situation to put your goalie in. The last time I saw that was 1994 when Richter stopped 3 Bure breakaways in an ASG.

It's just a knee-jerk fan reaction to blame Biron.

Old
02-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Trident61494

Quote:
You're referencing a game from 6 years ago. Stopping 3 breakaways in the 1st 10 minutes of a game is not "routine".

Those guys are lethal in that situation. Even if he stopped one, the Rangers still lose the game.

Sure, it would have been great if Biron stopped all three. But some goalies dont see three breakaways in week, let along the first 10 mins of a game.

Any goalie will tell you that they like getting involved in the action early to loosen up and gain momentum. But three breakaways in 10 minutes is a terrible situation to put your goalie in. The last time I saw that was 1994 when Richter stopped 3 Bure breakaways in an ASG.

Semantics ALERT!

You blame players out of position for the Breakaways...

You blame Biron for the ensuing goals...

Trident61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:47 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:

I don't understand what different it makes what game I'm referring to. Not like I'm referring to a game from the 70s. Who cares who he faced? Not like every attempt these guys have on a breakaway/penalty shot is great. Those were all stoppable shots. A goalie sees 3 breakaways in less time in shootouts and most attempts are better than any of those shots. If Hank was in, and Chicago tried that crap, I guarantee you he makes at least 2 saves, I'd put my money on all 3.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

no it isnt. you could see birons 5-hole open from the damn camera angle they show you live. does biron HAVE to stop all those goals? no, but if he was on his game, he wouldnt give them such an easy target to shoot at. maybe henrik stops em all, maybe he doesnt, but a good goalie would have at least made it tough on them. Kovalchuk basically told the press he couldnt believe how much room there was to shoot 5-hole. guess what, im guessing...maybe, just maybe, the chicago advance scouts heard about that, considering the amount of ppl on this board who were scared about just that happening here.

im not a fan of blaming the goalie on non-softies...ie breakaways, redirections, or zdeno chara 108.8mph blasts. with that said, when the goalie is blatantly out of position on one those types of chances, yeah, im faulting him.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Guys, that penalty shot doesn't happen in he first place if Biron just holds the puck. It was shot at him, he flubbed it, and it produced a mad scramble in the crease. G covering the puck is a different story. Why was Marty all the way to the right?
That's where is all went wrong.
If your captain scores on a penalty shot, you'd better hope the team rallies around him, and that's exactly what Chicago did. Toews is a great leader, and someone the team will work for. That's all it went down too.

Move along, and please just beat Columbus, and don't let Prospal score a hat trick.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:32 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

OK...I forgot. How silly of me...It's just so much easier to blame the back-up goalie in order to ignore the horrendous effort by our fan favorite defensemen.

Bipolar fanbase at its finest.