HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline Approaching: Defender?

Old
02-17-2012, 09:07 PM
SgtJoseph

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
If we include BOB in a trade for kubina we better be getting more back in return... Anway I highly doubt that is even being considered.

Bob is undervalued,he is still young and without even looking them up I bet he has similar to if not better numbers than supposed elite young tenders like schneider and bernier.
I agree with you about BOB......He wins much more than he loses and i think his future is a bright one for a few reasons....One reason is that he seems to have a great work ethic, and that combined with his physical skills should take him to the next level as he gets more games under his belt....Can't help but hope the best for the young lad.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:16 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Kubina's cap hit is ridiculous for what he brings. He's slow and doesn't hit as much as people think, makes a lot of mistakes in his own zone, which we have enough of. He is strong though, has a RH shot, and a bomb from the point. But we could give up a little more and get Brewer (if he's available) for the same cap hit.

I'm almost completely against getting Kubina.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:17 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
He's slow and doesn't hit as much as people think, makes a lot of mistakes in his own zone, which we have enough of.
Kinda sounds like that other guy we just acquired.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:26 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Kubina's cap hit is ridiculous for what he brings. He's slow and doesn't hit as much as people think, makes a lot of mistakes in his own zone, which we have enough of. He is strong though, has a RH shot, and a bomb from the point. But we could give up a little more and get Brewer (if he's available) for the same cap hit.

Honestly, he would probably bring has much as JJ but we wouldnt have to give up as much.

I think if they think they are going to win this season, they do need another defender.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Kaktus*

If Kubina chooses Philly Flyers can get him for real cheap. Just like Yzerman got Gagne for cheap.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:35 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Bruce Garrioch @SunGarrioch
Quote:
Talk is Bolts being offered a 2nd and 5th for Kubina by 2 teams. Waiting on his list.
I think we have an idea who's on that list...

Old
02-17-2012, 09:40 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Honestly, he would probably bring has much as JJ but we wouldnt have to give up as much.

I think if they think they are going to win this season, they do need another defender.
I agree. I'd love to get out of the trade deadline without having to give up a major piece (JvR, Voracek, Schenn, Couturier, etc.) But I wonder what JJ or Schenn would cost us? Both are similar cap hit, but MUCH younger, brighter futures, and locked up for longer.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:45 PM
RetiredFlyer
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
2 - Kubina is nice, Johnson is nicer IMO.

This would be too funny if we traded JVR for Johnson.

The number of threads dedicated to how bad Johnson is defensively would be astronomical.

Johnson makes Carle look like a Norris candidate.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is Jack Johnson:

-Worst +/- on his team ALL 5 YEARS IN THE LEAGUE.

-Worst Corsi on his team 4 of his 5 years in the league (in 09-10 he was 2nd to last among the Kings starting defensemen... a much better result )

-Last among Kings' starting defensemen in even strength points per sixty 3 of his 5 years in the NHL (he was 3rd in 09-10 and is 4th this year)

This is the player that we want to trade JVR for. He is the missing piece for our championship run.

RetiredFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:47 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredFlyer View Post

This would be too funny if we traded JVR for Johnson.

The number of threads dedicated to how bad Johnson is defensively would be astronomical.

Johnson makes Carle look like a Norris candidate.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is Jack Johnson:

-Worst +/- on his team ALL 5 YEARS IN THE LEAGUE.

-Worst Corsi on his team 4 of his 5 years in the league (in 09-10 he was 2nd to last among the Kings starting defensemen... a much better result )

-Last among Kings' starting defensemen in even strength points per sixty 3 of his 5 years in the NHL (he was 3rd in 09-10 and is 4th this year)

This is the player that we want to trade JVR for. He is the missing piece for our championship run.
I would trade JvR for a bag of used pucks. Just throwing that out there.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:54 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Bruce Garrioch @SunGarrioch

I think we have an idea who's on that list...

I wonder if the Flyers are on his list?

Quote:
Darren Dreger
Kubina will supply TB with his list of 5 teams by noon tomorrow

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Brozgalov

Quote:
What?

Brozgalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:11 PM
cheesesteak

Quote:
Why you heff to hate JVR? A bag of used pucks though, not even gonna try getting new pucks?

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:18 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

I think Greg Zanon / Mark Stuart / Bryan Allen would be a good add to this club.

Unsure what the value would be, but I like the style of play....

Last edited by dingbathero: 02-17-2012 at 10:24 PM.
dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:26 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:

See, cap hit almost doesn't matter at this point. It's really just a question of "does he mathematically fit?" Kubina is an impending UFA, and if we were to get him, it more more than likely be the last move before the deadline, so there's no need to worry about cap space.

That said, we only have just under 2.6 million in acquisition space left, and Kubina makes 3.85. So something would have to make up the difference.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
See, cap hit almost doesn't matter at this point. It's really just a question of "does he mathematically fit?" Kubina is an impending UFA, and if we were to get him, it more more than likely be the last move before the deadline, so there's no need to worry about cap space.

That said, we only have just under 2.6 million in acquisition space left, and Kubina makes 3.85. So something would have to make up the difference.
I think his cap hit is smaller though at this point of the season... could be wrong.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:35 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
I think his cap hit is smaller though at this point of the season... could be wrong.
Cap only changes with waiver acquisitions I'm pretty sure. Trades force a team to take on the entire contract, and therefore the entire cap hit.

Old
02-17-2012, 10:36 PM
haleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post

His cap hit this time of year is lower than his total cap

Flyers will likely LTIR Sestito tomorrow, they already sent Gus down and if they acquire another D then Bourdon will likely be the odd man out and be sent down.

This is enough to fit Kubina

haleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:04 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Quote:
Cap only changes with waiver acquisitions I'm pretty sure. Trades force a team to take on the entire contract, and therefore the entire cap hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haleks View Post
His cap hit this time of year is lower than his total cap

Flyers will likely LTIR Sestito tomorrow, they already sent Gus down and if they acquire another D then Bourdon will likely be the odd man out and be sent down.

This is enough to fit Kubina
Yes the cap hits change day to day, because cap is calculated daily.

HOWEVER, capgeek does us all a favor and converts everything to yearly numbers. We have just under 2.6 million in space in yearly dollars. It may change slightly as we get closer, and therefore are responsible for less and less of (hypothetically) Kubina's contract; but we also are utilizing LTIR so that discounts it.

What I'm getting at is, the yearly numbers are accurate. We aren't actually going to be responsible for the entirety of Kubina's cap hit, but its easier to think of things at the yearly numbers. We cannot acquire Kubina as of this moment unless we shed more cap space (shouldn't be very hard to do at all).

Check out this page that explains it.
http://capgeek.com/trade_deadline_tracker.php

Old
02-17-2012, 11:11 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

I believe Kubina's cap hit would be equivalent to how many games remaining in the season and I say that based off of NHLnumbers.com because they have Grossman's cap hit at only $0.457. And like someone else has already mentioned MAB and Gus would get bumped down, Sestito's cap hit won't count on LTIR. There are ways to make it work.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:16 PM
bryzgalovsky*

i hope they get someone who is good

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:18 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionofDoom627 View Post
I believe Kubina's cap hit would be equivalent to how many games remaining in the season and I say that based off of NHLnumbers.com because they have Grossman's cap hit at only $0.457. And like someone else has already mentioned MAB and Gus would get bumped down, Sestito's cap hit won't count on LTIR. There are ways to make it work.
That is 100% correct.

But I'm saying, the cap space we have (2.6ish) is ALSO equivalent to how many days are remaining in the season (so it isn't actually 2.6).

It's far easier to look at the YEARLY number. Capgeek does any and all conversions. I strongly suggest reading that page. It's very interesting and extremely useful!

Edit: And I agree. It would be easy to make it work. I was just saying as of now, we can't fit his entire cap hit.

Last edited by DUHockey9: 02-17-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old
02-17-2012, 11:28 PM
DUHockey9

I think it's important that people realize that if you are utilizing LTIR, you cannot take advantage of prorated contracts! (Which is what everyone is suggesting by saying we'd only be responsibly for part of his cap hit.) This is why our "Today" space and our "Deadline" space are identical on capgeek. We don't benefit from prorated deals.

This is why many of us criticize Homer for relying on LTIR. Flat out, if you are relying on LTIR, that is not good. Because you are never TRULY under the cap, and if you are never under the cap, you are not "banking" space, so you can't take on a prorated contract.

Old
02-18-2012, 12:34 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
I think Greg Zanon / Mark Stuart / Bryan Allen would be a good add to this club.

Unsure what the value would be, but I like the style of play....
Allen and Stuart would fit in well. Not so sure about Zanon though. I did like the deal with Dallas. But I am curious if Homer is done. Not a fan of JJ. The guy would be crushed here. For all his talent(which he only uses once in awhile) he makes far to many bonehead plays.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:55 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

I'd be happy with Stuart. How much would he cost us? He's locked up for a couple more years for a cheap hit too.

Old
02-18-2012, 12:56 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Allen and Stuart would fit in well. Not so sure about Zanon though. I did like the deal with Dallas. But I am curious if Homer is done. Not a fan of JJ. The guy would be crushed here. For all his talent(which he only uses once in awhile) he makes far to many bonehead plays.
Zanon isn't worth anything to us and idk bout allen either. i do like stuart but for what were trading, do they REALLY make a difference? If were down to those mid range guys and were talking trade because of cap hit, i'd rather wait til the store's shelves are restocked with better goodies in the summer. we don't want to pull one of those oates trades again, not that maxim oullet became a superstar but still a waste of time anyway.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote