HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dominic Moore and a 7th to SJ for Minnesota's 2nd

Old
02-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Vaasa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
Zeus played a bit of LW for Flyers back in the day, maybe you could have both him and Moore on the same line
Zeus' problem is that he is just too slow. And for some reason is not playing as well this season as he has in the past. I'd prefer to see him on the 4th line honestly and not slowing down the 3rd. Just as I'd prefer to see Mitchell on the 4th with him, and not killing the offense of the 3rd line.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksfan83 View Post
I know it's not now, and it's kinda irrelevant. But if Zeus doesn't improve, would you rather have 850k dead space next year from a buy out, or 2.5m Zeus?
I think I'd rather keep him on the 4th line for the rest of his contract than do a buy-out. He's still a decent player, I just don't think he's really working on the 3rd line. But keeping him around at least provides some depth in case of injuries.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:19 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
I think I'd rather keep him on the 4th line for the rest of his contract than do a buy-out. He's still a decent player, I just don't think he's really working on the 3rd line. But keeping him around at least provides some depth in case of injuries.
bingo

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:24 AM
bullslugg
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Zeus' problem is that he is just too slow. And for some reason is not playing as well this season as he has in the past. I'd prefer to see him on the 4th line honestly and not slowing down the 3rd. Just as I'd prefer to see Mitchell on the 4th with him, and not killing the offense of the 3rd line.
I'm thinkin that perhaps the locomotiv plane crash had a major impact on Zues. Still trying to deal with the loss? I've read that Zues had a lot of close friends on that plane. I lost a brother in a tragic accident. Took me years to recover.

bullslugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullslugg View Post
I'm thinkin that perhaps the locomotiv plane crash had a major impact on Zues. Still trying to deal with the loss? I've read that Zues had a lot of close friends on that plane. I lost a brother in a tragic accident. Took me years to recover.
It could be. Or it could any of a bunch of other factors. He's been a good defensive player in the past, with about the level of offense you'd expect of a 3rd-liner. So whether it's the Lokomotiv tragedy, the new team, not feeling comfortable with the Sharks style of play, or any of a bunch of other factors; he's not working out as well as expected. But I don't feel a desperate need to move him. I actually think he could help the 4th line and let them play more minutes if needed.

I've always been an advocate of depth in scoring, and of having a 3rd line that is a legit scoring threat (while certainly not as good as the top 2 lines). And Zeus isn't filling that role, so move him down a line. We'll see if Moore can handle it. If he does well, try and sign him to a decent contract that ends in 2014 with all of the other major contracts. Not to mention he's 31 and I wouldn't want to risk more than 2 years on a contract any way.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:34 AM
sr228

Quote:
I have to say I'm somewhat in favor of this, although I wish it had been the Sharks 2nd, or even better a 3rd plus a prospect like Moore (Mike). I've liked Dominic Moore since his Toronto days, although his salary demands are something I'll have to wait and see on. Add in that we are at 50 contracts now and there is almost certainly another move or two coming to send out some NHL contracts (DW will probably want space for moves after the season, but before July 1).

But for those putting him on wing, he is actually much better (from when I've watched him) at center, and is a pretty good playmaker. I would like to see him at 3rd-line C, with a line-up something like this:

Marleau - JT - Pavs
Clowe - Couture - Havlat
McGinn - Moore - Mitchell / Wingels / Desjardin / Sheppard (if healthy/ready, etc)
Winchester - Handzus - Mitchell / Wingels / Desjardin

That 3rd line is way more mobile than the current line with Handzus on it, and Moore is much better playmake IMO than Handzus, which means we might see McGinn put up even more points. I don't like having a $2.5 mil 4th line center, but what are you goind to do.
Wow, a trade that neither Vaasa or Easy hate...I didn't think that was possible

Just an FYI, the Sharks don't own a 3rd in the 2012 draft - and while I would've preferred they traded the #55 pick, it's really not that big of a deal.

I agree with you that Moore is better at Center, but he can play wing. Mitchell, Zus and McGinn were very, very good last night. Surprisingly, they absolutey owned their head to head matchup with the Stamkos line. Wingels has also fit in very well with Couture and Clowe so I'm not sure where McLellen is going slot Moore in.

As I mentioned before, adding Moore gives him a lot of options on the 3rd and 4th line, Desi has already shown he can play wing, so long as Zus and Moore can be effective there as well he'll find a combo that works.

sr228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:37 AM
DarrylshutzSydor

Great pick up, we finally added a player with heart!

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:54 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

Good pickup for the Sharks IMO. Moore reminds me a lot of Chris Kelly (who was also traded for a 2nd round pick last year). Solid depth addition for your playoff run.

SixthSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
Zeus played a bit of LW for Flyers back in the day, maybe you could have both him and Moore on the same line
Because of Zeus's speed, he might not make the greatest of wingers. Certainly worth a shot. But here's a question, can Moore play Wing?

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
Because of Zeus's speed, he might not make the greatest of wingers. Certainly worth a shot. But here's a question, can Moore play Wing?
Yes, but he's much better (IMO) at center.

Old
02-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
I think/hope they will try these lines in order depending on how Zus and Mitchell perform;

McGinn - Handzus - Moore

McGinn - Moore - Handzus

McGinn - Moore - Mitchell

I wouldn't be surprised to see the 3M line in the playoffs with Zus bumped down to 4th line w/ Desjardins and Winchester.

Desi has shown he can play F1.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:06 PM
irregardless
Registered Dummy

Quote:
Kevin Kurz @KKurzCSN
Moore said if he could have picked one team to come to via trade, he would have picked the #SJSharks. Sounded sincere, too.
I like him already!

I guess he has experience going to new teams though, so he knows just what to say.

irregardless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Negatively Positive
Stop Lying!

Why doesn't he re-sign with teams? Is it the team's choice or his choice to move on because 1 mill isn't much for a good third line player. There hasn't been any word on character issues or locker room problems and teams obviously covet him for their playoff runs but they don't want him back the following year? I don't know if he has a family but I can't imagine anyone wants to bounce to a different city every season.

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:41 PM
bleedteal12

From Moore:

Quote:
“If I could have picked one team to go to in the entire league, this would have been it.

I’m really excited to be a part of this group. I’ve watched from afar for a few years now and this team has been one that’s really impressed me for the last few years. It’s very exciting to be a part of. We’ve got our work cut out for us, but hopefully we can do some good things.

Two years in a row in the conference finals makes you all that hungry and motivated for more. The playoffs are what you play for and what I enjoy the most. To have an opportunity to play in the playoffs is another big, exciting thing for me.”
I know it's kind of a requisite for a player to say he's super duper excited to be with his new team, but I get the sense Moore was/is legit. Not that I blame him--going from a non-playoff team like Tampa to the Sharks? Upgrade!

bleedteal12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:50 PM
KirbyDots

I like the trade. Reminds me of the Kelly deal last year, hopefully DW can add a Peverley type as well.

P.S. Roger Moore is most definitely not my favorite Bond. Connery all the way. I think it works though.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Negatively Positive
Stop Lying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmarleautime View Post
From Moore:

I know it's kind of a requisite for a player to say he's super duper excited to be with his new team, but I get the sense Moore was/is legit. Not that I blame him--going from a non-playoff team like Tampa to the Sharks? Upgrade!
He's such a front-runner. He gets to ditch a non-playoff team for a playoff team every year

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Oppa
#

Same thing goes for Burns coming from Minny

Are there any videos of the Moore interviews or do they not conduct video interviews on the road?

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Brodie Brazil @brodiebrazilCSN

#sjsharks forward Dominic Moore has at least 1 former teammate on all 30 #nhl teams (per @sharksstats)

It disappoints me that you can write a lyric very flippantly—and not a particularly good lyric—and it can mean so much to so many people. That's disillusioning for a writer - George Michael, Careless Whisper
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:20 PM
lsx

opps, wrong thread.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:33 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
Why doesn't he re-sign with teams? Is it the team's choice or his choice to move on because 1 mill isn't much for a good third line player. There hasn't been any word on character issues or locker room problems and teams obviously covet him for their playoff runs but they don't want him back the following year? I don't know if he has a family but I can't imagine anyone wants to bounce to a different city every season.
Montreal fans said he asked for too much money after a good playoffs run - which is weird cuz he only signed for $1.1M per.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:46 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...d-line-center/
Pregame (late) blog - Moore speaks

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/shark...50&feedID=5878
Moore trade reaction

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:51 PM
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!

Quote:
Yes, but he's much better (IMO) at center.
He's like 80% on face offs against the cains so far...

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

Only saw half the game, does he add speed?

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:58 PM
do0glas

I didn't notice him in too many foot races but he gets into position on the rush very quickly has a deceptively fast shot and crashes the net regularly. Didn't make any mistakes and generally elevated the play when he was on.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Gilligans Island

Thought Moore looked great. Same speed as Mitchell but actually strong on his skates and a more jam/grit and smarts to his game.

Not surprisingly, he showed up to play tonight.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote