HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ryan White's upside

Old
02-18-2012, 12:20 AM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

vCash: 500
White has always been one my favorite Hab. Always giving his best effort, defend his teammates, great guy. Always happy when the team scored (just see when Campoli scored tonight and same with Desharnais, he was the first on the ice).

Lars Mon Amour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:34 AM
ScottFC

Its weird because when White was coming up nobody really considered him a scrapper and alot of people said he was too slow for even the AHL and now those are the 2 best parts of his game. He's always found a way to rack up some decent stats in other leagues too so it should be interesting to see if he can increase his points total in a couple of seasons.

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:47 AM

I'm gonna be very happy if he becomes a constant 82-10-15-25 guy that drops the gloves.

I would like to see him decline some invitations to fight though. He should not fight fighters that have 4 inches on him like McQuaid even though he did well this time. Maybe he can hold the fort this year and then Gauthier signs an heavyweight this summer.

68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:06 AM
Shutdown

The way I see it, his upside is similar to Clarkson's without the current 20+ goal season.

Shutdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:26 AM
Estimated_Prophet

I love the way that White plays and think he is a great component on this team but people here are completely void of any scouting skills.

At best he is still a below average skater and that is a fact. If you can't see that then you don't have a clue how to evaluate a hockey players skillset.

Sorry.........just had to vent as this is a huge pet peeve of mine. Don't misread this as White bashing as I think he will be a fixture on the bottom 6 for years and the Habs will be better off for it.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:18 AM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
10-15 pts a year. 4th-3rd liner with speed.
hahahahahhahahah if I knew you i'd open hand slap you right across the face. White was sent from god son, his upside is corson, if that doesnt' happen and he is just a chump he'll get at least 30 points from hard work/going to the net alone.

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:34 AM
Corncob

Love White, he has been badly missed this season. And he has elite hair.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:24 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I think Ryan White is a guy who can be a key piece to any Stanley Cup team. His offensive game likely won't translate to the NHL - partly because he's not going to be used enough in those situations.

I was always on the White bandwagon. A lot of people preferred Maxwell and I never understood because I felt that Ryan White did everything just a little better.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:50 AM
Picaroon

He epitomizes old time Canadian hockey. My favorite type of player.

Can see him being a pretty consistent 30 point player. 10-20. Top out at 40.

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:46 AM
onice

I really like White. He's exactly the type of player this team needs. Exactly the type of player that Gomez & Kostitsyn need. That line looked pretty good last night.

I liked the mix on it. Gomez was skating and passing, Kostitsyn was crashing and setting himself up in slot. White Was crashing, digging in the corners and making some sweet set ups.

I hope RC keeps them together for a few more games. I see very good chemistry with those three players.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
At best he is still a below average skater and that is a fact. If you can't see that then you don't have a clue how to evaluate a hockey players skillset.
Yeah, but most of us see games on TV and the camera is mostly jumping onto a guy when he's jumping onto a puck or making a hit or coasting after a play, so you don't get to evaluate his skating so much. Straight skating back on the backcheck or even agility and balance can still be a bit off for him, but it's nowhere near where he was at as a junior. He has added "quickness" and "jump", for sure. Enough to make him an NHL player, even if below average in terms of pure skating ability. Even the jump and effort was lacking before. That was part of what contributed to his fall in the draft.

Like MT said, I think it is indicative of a change in his dedication/commitment. He consciously decided to be more aggressive and fight more, he wasn't all that big or strong (still isn't), but he's working at it and pushing his limits. Same with skating. He may not have great technique or agility out there, but he's pushing himself and hustling, which mostly covers for the inadquacies, especially in a short-ice game like he plays.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:25 AM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
White has always been one my favorite Hab. Always giving his best effort, defend his teammates, great guy. Always happy when the team scored (just see when Campoli scored tonight and same with Desharnais, he was the first on the ice).
Exactly ! He is awesome for the team spirit. He gives everything for the Club de Hockey Canadiens

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:43 AM
The Price is Right

Moen 2.0

The Price is Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:57 AM
SnapVirus

Its funny when I read people hoping 45 points, come on. How many 45 points players we had in the last 10 years?... Gosh!

SnapVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:57 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

He's looked a lot better offensively this year compared to last, he's a pretty decent passer and made a nice play for Campoli's goal. I'll be very happy if he can put up 20-30 points a year, he's definitely the type of player you want in your bottom six in the playoffs.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:15 AM
BLONG7

Seems like a great kid, love his efforts!!!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:51 AM
Toro

Not sure bout some of you but white was always a leader on the ice and always had the physical tough side down pat. Also he has always been involved in the offensive game too. His skating is still weaker than average but has improved much like gorges they imploy very ugly skating skills but arrive where they need to get through sheer determination.

That said i have always been high on whitey, and still believe this team really missed his game to the point that our 4th line has been a failure till his return. Which cost us valuable points.

White will b a hab for a long time.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:28 AM
SAKS AVENUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Price is Right View Post
Moen 2.0

I see his future being as a aron asham/darcy tucker type. Let's hope we don't trade him when he has an off year or learns to pace himself in an 82 game schedule. It's his second game back so I'm sure his robust play will chill a little in the coming weeks. I hope he can remain injury free and keep his stamina. Guys like him can wear out quickly.

SAKS AVENUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
His upside is being completely ****ing awesome.

He's exactly the 3rd line player we need. Hits, fights, hustles, skates hard, can make some good plays and is good to net a few goals. I see him as a future A for the team, just because he leads by example. Gorges may not be the best player on the ice but he never gives up on a play, which is exactly what we're seeing and want to continue seeing from White.

Not to mention he seems to bleed bleu blanc rouge.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:48 AM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
As some of you may have noticed, I am not a fanboy of the toughness concept, but Ryan White kinda caught me offguard. He hits and fights, that's a given, but am I the only one seeing more to his game than this?
His skating looks pretty good, his constant hustling forces opposing defenders to speed up their plays, which leads more often than not to turnovers in our favor. His passing game is smart and he seems to enjoy taking shots from any angle.
Long story short, the more I see him play, the more I suspect he could bloom into more than a 4th line goon/grinder.
Unreasonable expectations?
My personnal top expectation for him is a Chris Neil/Shawn Thornton type player. Nothing flashy. Can play hockey. Meaty and dangerous. Tosses in a funny quote here and there. Well, maybe a bit less meaty than Niel/Thornton, but makes up for in in feistiness.

We know, by lacking players like that for a long time, how important they can be. Even when we had lower grade meatshields like Tom Kostopoulos, they were quite important to our success.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:56 AM
LyleOdelein

Sticking to Habs comparable players, I agree that Keane is the best frame of reference for those who remember him.

He's physical enough to change a game with a big hit or stand up to players above his weight class. He's smart enough to be a solid defensive forward. He's just crazy/reckless enough to keep opposing players on edge when he's on the ice. White will probably never be a dynamic scorer, but will chip in the odd point here and there.

On the downside, the nature of White's game will most likely see him being the kind of guy who's perpetually banged up. It's very possible that he could burn brightly for a couple years, then fade quickly once the damage adds up (kind of like Steve Begin did).

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:03 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
My personnal top expectation for him is a Chris Neil/Shawn Thornton type player. Nothing flashy. Can play hockey. Meaty and dangerous. Tosses in a funny quote here and there. Well, maybe a bit less meaty than Niel/Thornton, but makes up for in in feistiness.

We know, by lacking players like that for a long time, how important they can be. Even when we had lower grade meatshields like Tom Kostopoulos, they were quite important to our success.
How I see it too.

He might string together a few seasons of 25-30pts in his prime. I don't see much more than that, but could be wrong. Definitely a solid middle-weight fighter and massive energy guy. Need more of this type of player in our bottom 6!

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:08 AM
le_sean

I really feel if he were healthy all season, the Habs would be in a better position. He brings a physical edge, energy and enthusiasm that rubs off on everyone else. He's a kid that was an offensive leader on his junior team, yet knew right away that his role had to change to make the NHL. Yet, he never complains, never tries to be something he is not. He understands his role and does it with a smile.

I think his career projection is something like Tom Kostopoulos. Well liked in the dressing room, the first to stick up for his teammates and a little offensive capability. Except White is already a better fighter than Tom, thankfully.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:20 AM
ROSSter

I love white, hes exactly what the team needs. The guy brings fire to every game. I would like the habs to ad a another bigger fighter to take some weight away from White. White is an amazing guy, but his size will catch up to him, especially if hes the guy standing up for the entire team.

ROSSter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:23 AM
guapo23

Reminds me of Shane Corson.
Is it possible that he develops his offensive game to be like Shane?

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote