HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Henrik Lundqvist named Athlete of the Year!

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2006, 06:03 AM
VFHC

vCash: 500
Henrik Lundqvist named Athlete of the Year!

Just in Sweden of course... I provide two links to a Swedish newspaper if your want to brush up your swedish and here a very short resume: , I apologize for any translation errors.

A Giant in NYC

It’s an honour and I’m proud says Henrik.

It’s not only talent that is part of his great success it’s also his attitude.

He seldom says that he didn’t have a chance to make a save. He always wants to be better. When he was appointed as a starter goalkeeper (Frölunda), it gave him confidence and strength that he needed to move to NHL. He is already used to play under pressure.

- As goalkeeper your are used to play under pressure, but the most of the pressure is from your self. I really wanted to play well and take a step forward to a NHL-contract.
- If the goalkeeper is stable it influences on the whole team. Every thing is easy when you can rely on each other.

These are the grounds for the jury’s decision:

- Outstanding
- Charismatic
- Team player & individualist
- A novel approach in goalkeeping
- Simply a World Star
- Played a decisive role during the 2005 SEL-playoffs

Patrik Carnbäck a former teammate says this about Henrik:

He is self-assured, odd like all goalkeepers but easy to like and also was one in the “gang” and that is not always the case with goalkeepers.

He is very competive. Even during practice it was almost impossible to score a goal with Henke in the net and Daniel Alfredsson (Ottawa Senators) was thinking deliberately to shoot wide-of-net instead of failing to score every time.

Goalkeepers always thank their defence-men. Henke is always a big smile of ice, a very nice guy; it’s difficult to make him say anything mean even after a (unusual) loss.

He has huge expectations on his own performance and he is also demanding towards his fellow teammates. During games there is no room for diplomacy, if the Frölundas defence-men didn’t do their job he sure let them know.

http://www.gp.se/gp/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=128&a=253732
http://www.gp.se/gp/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=128&a=253714

Old
01-19-2006, 06:44 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFHC
He has huge expectations on his own performance and he is also demanding towards his fellow teammates. During games there is no room for diplomacy, if the Frölundas defence-men didn’t do their job he sure let them know.
We've seen that here as well. I guess some might say that this could negatively impact team chemistry, but in the end it is the result of a player who just wants to win, and the rest of the guys on the team should understand that this is the case. I don't think Henrik will ever be the athlete of the year in the States, but hopefully he has a few Vezinas in his future!

Old
01-19-2006, 07:02 AM
KRM

Henke!

I just want too point out that this is just the local newspapers award.

Old
01-19-2006, 07:54 AM
VFHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500
Henke!

I just want too point out that this is just the local newspapers award.
OK, he was appointed Athlete of the year in the West of Sweden by the 4th largest newspaper in Sweden but he was also one of 4 nominees in Athlete of the Year in Sweden.

But the interesting is what his former team mate says about him because I have noticed that this has been discussed on this board.

AND what he himself says about what effect a goalkeeper has on the rest of team - if the team can rely on the goalkeeper they perform better and vice versa.

Old
01-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Ola

Quote:
but he was also one of 4 nominees in Athlete of the Year in Sweden.
Whats not so funny is that he lost the Athlete of the Year award to a Moped driver...

Old
01-19-2006, 09:41 AM
KRM

Quote:
But the interesting is what his former team mate says about him because I have noticed that this has been discussed on this board.

AND what he himself says about what effect a goalkeeper has on the rest of team - if the team can rely on the goalkeeper they perform better and vice versa.
That he gets angry when he gice up a goal? I don't think that it is a problem. Wasn't it Boork who wanted media attention and said that Henke was the biggest problem in Frölunda?

Old
01-19-2006, 11:31 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Whats not so funny is that he lost the Athlete of the Year award to a Moped driver...
Hahaha, whaaaat?? Elaborate!

Old
01-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Playmaker

Jon - it sounds funny if it's put that way, but Henrik lost out to Tony Rickardsson - a swedish speedway-driver who has won the world cup in speedway six times, which means he has the most titles of all speedway-drivers ever.

He is a very popular athlete in Sweden, and was completely deserving of the win.

So Henke lost out to Tony as male athlete of the year. I found it funnier that a runner-up for male athlete of the year was Jan Brink - for horse dressage...

Old
01-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
Hahaha, whaaaat?? Elaborate!
Like Martin said he is very popular in Sweden, quit a character. He have been the best in his sport for so long but never won anything. Though its not a big sport, so its not a big accomplishment to be the best in the world in that sport, IMO...

Old
01-19-2006, 04:35 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Speedway is pretty cool, not exactly mopeds. It's kind of like midget racing on stripped-down old-fashioned racing bikes.

Old
01-19-2006, 04:44 PM
HockeyBurd*

You guys sure took the steam out of this thread. He went from being player of the year to the equal of a horse dressage master.

Old
01-19-2006, 05:10 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Quote:
He seldom says that he didn?t have a chance to make a save.
Well maybe the piece of trash backup that he has that was supposed to teach HENKE a thing or two, can take a few pointers from him. Instead of feeling sorry for himself and talking about layoffs and especially "grade A shots", he can take some responsibility. He'll never improve if he'll feel sorry for himself and use every excuse in the book.

Old
01-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
To put the "award" in some perspective here some of the former winners:

1990 - Magnus Wislander, Handball, Voted Handball player of the Century, 3 Olympic Silvers, 2 WC:s Golds, 2 Silvers, 1 Bronze, 4 EC:s Gold.

1991 - Jörgen Persson, Table Tennis, 4 WC:s Golds, 1 Silver.

1992 - Patrik Sjöberg, High Jump, Former World Record Holder, 2 Olympic Silvers, 1 Bronze. 1 WC:s Gold.

1993, 2000 - Mikael Ljungberg, wrestling 1 Olympic Gold, 2 WC:s Golds, 2 EC:s Golds.

1994 - Thomas Ravelli, Soccer, 94 World Cup Bronze, All Time Apperence Leader for the Swedish National Team.

1996 - Agneta Andersson, Canoe, 3 Olympic Golds, 2 Silvers, 1 Bronze, 1 WC:s Gold.

2003 - Anders Eriksson, Enduro, 7 WC:s Golds.

2001, 2004 - Christian Olsson, Triple Jump, 1 Olympic Gold, 3 Golds and 1 Silver in the WC:s, 2 Golds in EC:s.

(WC:s = World Championships)
(EC:s = European Chapionships)

Old
01-19-2006, 05:12 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
2003 - Anders Eriksson, Enduro, 7 WC:s Golds.

Hahahaha. I thought it was the hockey player at first!

Closed Thread