HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

left glove breaking down

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-18-2012, 08:48 AM
  #1
Squidriss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
left glove breaking down

So im a righty and my left hand sits on the top of my stick.. my problem is that the left palm of my glove is almost broken down compared to the right palm. I know its because of the tape on the top of my stick causing the friction. How can i fix this. My gloves are some crappy koho 4410 comfort series but im attached to them!!

Squidriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:19 AM
  #2
ArrogantOwl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 194
vCash: 500
If you're using black tape switch to white, if your using white, remove the tape, or find a different source of grip. This is just a side effect of friction tape.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:29 AM
  #3
SouthpawTRK
Registered User
 
SouthpawTRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
You can try either a Tacki-Mac or an Oggie grip as an alternative to tape to help reduce the amount of wear on the palm of your glove.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:28 AM
  #4
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician
 
ReverendAlBundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fort Worth
Country: United States
Posts: 1,798
vCash: 500
If you mean how can you fix the glove, you can just take it to your LHS and they can most likely repalm it.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:36 AM
  #5
r3cc0s
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
You can try either a Tacki-Mac or an Oggie grip as an alternative to tape to help reduce the amount of wear on the palm of your glove.
though I heard at the end of the day that they may help... it will still wear through

lots of people just get them patched

or get them repalmed

I suggest if you want a cheap and good solution... go to your shoe maker and see what they can get a lambskin or horsehide in for... I paid $30 to do an old pair and they rock

I thought I prefered Clarino, but I think leather is more durable and a high end leather will be just as thin and won't get as crusty.

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:11 PM
  #6
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
after I went through the palm of my top hand glove in only a few months I switched to Taki-Mac grips. Haven't needed to replace them since , and the palms on my gloves still look new 2 years later.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:30 PM
  #7
Squidriss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
after I went through the palm of my top hand glove in only a few months I switched to Taki-Mac grips. Haven't needed to replace them since , and the palms on my gloves still look new 2 years later.
interesting ill have to give it a try

Squidriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:17 PM
  #8
madmutter
I heff to be med
 
madmutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
after I went through the palm of my top hand glove in only a few months I switched to Taki-Mac grips. Haven't needed to replace them since , and the palms on my gloves still look new 2 years later.
I was going to post almost exactly this. Taki-Mac is the way to go.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:53 PM
  #9
hyster110
Registered User
 
hyster110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 875
vCash: 500
gloves are going to wear out, you best bet is go buy a decent set of gloves and then they will last longer than cheep gloves

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:43 AM
  #10
michaelshu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Indonesia
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
i second what some said above, get a decent pair of gloves (mid level ones will do) and get tacki-mac.. they're awesome

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:22 AM
  #11
Squidriss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
gloves are going to wear out, you best bet is go buy a decent set of gloves and then they will last longer than cheep gloves
The GLOVE has nothing to do with the palm wearing out.. if anything the difference between a cheap glove and mid level glove is the material of the palm and protection.. So i guess yah the palm on a mid level glove will probably be of a better material, but the glove has nothing to do with it.

Squidriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:37 AM
  #12
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,664
vCash: 500
In the past I've had gloves repalmed, but they never feel the same way afterwards. I would personally try and get another pair of gloves on clearance.

To reduce the wear, Tacki Mac works well if you like their patterns. I haven't had much issue with Powerflex tape.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:05 AM
  #13
opivy
Sauce King
 
opivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Billings, MT
Country: United States
Posts: 441
vCash: 966
Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
I like the self adhesive tape, the stuff that is like the wrap they put on sprained ankles and wrists.

My gloves haven't shown any wear at all after switching to this tape.

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:28 AM
  #14
hyster110
Registered User
 
hyster110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidriss View Post
The GLOVE has nothing to do with the palm wearing out.. if anything the difference between a cheap glove and mid level glove is the material of the palm and protection.. So i guess yah the palm on a mid level glove will probably be of a better material, but the glove has nothing to do with it.
you buy a better glove, you get better material on the palm, its a simple as that

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:40 AM
  #15
nightfighter
Registered User
 
nightfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,494
vCash: 500
Can you buy Tacki Mac in retail or does it have to be online?

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:09 AM
  #16
thedonger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 852
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Can you buy Tacki Mac in retail or does it have to be online?
all depends on your local hockey shops. out of the plethora of shops here in north jersey, i've found all of 1 place that carries them.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:19 AM
  #17
thedonger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 852
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
you buy a better glove, you get better material on the palm, its a simple as that
not sure what you're getting at there.
if you mean better feeling/performing palm, then yeah, i agree with you. if you mean more durable, then with the exception of eagle's msh2, i couldn't disagree with you more.
generally, i find the palms in top line gloves to be less durable of anything than midline and lower end gloves because they are typically aimed at giving the best feel and performance, not for durability(again, with the exception of eagle's msh2).

i've had bauer vapor xxxx, xxv's and x60 pro's, tps r8, bauer 4 rolls and am now switching between a pair of eagle ppfi and custom warrior franchises with the standard micronash palms. nothing comes close to the eagles in durability, and the palms on the other gloves have poor to decent durability at best. interestingly enough, even though i only had the xxv's for a short period, they were 2nd in terms of palm durability for me by quite a margin, but easily the poorest in terms of feel.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:15 PM
  #18
Squidriss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
all depends on your local hockey shops. out of the plethora of shops here in north jersey, i've found all of 1 place that carries them.
true, however if you have a sportchek in your area the should have em all of em do in ontario because of the hockey experts thing they have going on

Squidriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:16 PM
  #19
Squidriss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Can you buy Tacki Mac in retail or does it have to be online?
If you have a sportchek in your area they should have them

Squidriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:19 PM
  #20
Squidriss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
you buy a better glove, you get better material on the palm, its a simple as that
were it so easy...

Squidriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:28 PM
  #21
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
not sure what you're getting at there.
if you mean better feeling/performing palm, then yeah, i agree with you. if you mean more durable, then with the exception of eagle's msh2, i couldn't disagree with you more.
generally, i find the palms in top line gloves to be less durable of anything than midline and lower end gloves because they are typically aimed at giving the best feel and performance, not for durability(again, with the exception of eagle's msh2).

i've had bauer vapor xxxx, xxv's and x60 pro's, tps r8, bauer 4 rolls and am now switching between a pair of eagle ppfi and custom warrior franchises with the standard micronash palms. nothing comes close to the eagles in durability, and the palms on the other gloves have poor to decent durability at best. interestingly enough, even though i only had the xxv's for a short period, they were 2nd in terms of palm durability for me by quite a margin, but easily the poorest in terms of feel.
I'm going to have to agree with this as well. Palm durability isn't a consistent upgrade when you move up price points across brands. There are definitely cases where a higher end palm will be more durable than a lower end one since the higher end palm has more overlay material, but from what I've seen, it's all over the place in terms of consistency. One thing that should be consistent is that natural leathers (goat, Pittards etc.) should be more durable than synthetic (nash, clarino).

I mean, it's not a bad guideline to have but what I'm saying is that don't be surprised if it fails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidriss View Post
true, however if you have a sportchek in your area the should have em all of em do in ontario because of the hockey experts thing they have going on
True. We have all colors and all sizes!

Oh and squid, in the future, try using the multiquote instead of multiple posts if you can

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:27 PM
  #22
nightfighter
Registered User
 
nightfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidriss View Post
true, however if you have a sportchek in your area the should have em all of em do in ontario because of the hockey experts thing they have going on
Great I'm gonna check this out. I can start to see some small holes in my warrior reflex palm that I got back in november so it'd be nice to nip it in the bud while its not too bad.

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:25 PM
  #23
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,664
vCash: 500
Yeah it depends on the material. Nash holds up pretty well in my experience, as does Clarino. I had a digital palm that ripped up VERY quick.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.