HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Trade Deadline Approaching: Defender?

Old
02-18-2012, 12:17 AM
Devastate

vCash: 500
nhl network said the flyers are likely to land either Jack johnson or Luke Schenn

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:42 AM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
nhl network said the flyers are likely to land either Jack johnson or Luke Schenn
That just real intuitive insight, rehashing weeks-old rumours.

For the record, I'd rather land Schenn, between the two.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:42 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Jack Johnson ****ing sucks. Just throwing that out there.

GoneFullHolmgren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:46 AM
bryzgalovsky*

if we get jack johnson our team will be worse

think about it he will be replacing bourdon who is not that bad

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:50 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
well I can imagine LA is starving for offense. If they want JVR make em pay. taking Jack Johnson straight up would be stupid.

GoneFullHolmgren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:17 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I'd honestly rather go for Schenn than JJ

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:49 AM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
well I can imagine LA is starving for offense. If they want JVR make em pay. taking Jack Johnson straight up would be stupid.
I think L.A. will end up taking Carter of CBJ's hands. Then Cartsie and Richie can end up in a mansion in the Hollywood Hills like this:

mercury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:18 AM
Rick Deckard

Two evaluations of Johnson from Kings fans on the trade board. Do you agree with them, GKJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
JJ is a slick skater. Hard hitter when he wants to be and strong enough to win many board battles. He has a rocket of a shot that needs some more accuracy. He and DD could both get there shots off a little sooner. JJ makes solid passes out of the zone or can skate it out under pressure. He does make a bonehead play from time to time but even those have been cut down this year. He has pretty good one-on-one moves and can be used in shoot outs. He plays 1st line PP minutes and can play the PK. He logs alot of minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Johnson is a very talented, strong, athletic player. He plays with an edge and loves to blast the puck from the point. He also has that disposition where he always wants to win, and seems to be more of a leader.

He has two major problems: he struggles with reading the development of plays, and he gets overly aggressive. With one-on-one battles, Johnson is nearly unbeatable, as he's a fast skater and very strong. However, the dynamics of having multiple players is where he struggles most of all. He also will go for the big hit or pinch in offensively, but sometimes it will take him out of position.

Right now, he's a 3/4 defenseman who has potential to be a 1/2. He can still improve his defensive reads, which will come with more maturity and experience.

I definitely would not like to see Johnson moved, but begrudgingly accept you have to give to get, and would accept if he yielded a top line winger.
I think I would trade vanRiemsdyk for him, we have ten forwards for nine positions, we can offer one of them.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

I would say that Jack Johnson, when he doesn't have to be depended on to be on the top pairing, would be fine in Philly. Hes going to most likely be on the 2nd/3rd pairing and his minutes reduced compared to the time he gets in LA.

Having said that, there are other guys that would come cheaper and not involve changes to the current roster that I would rather have. People need to stop dick riding L. Schenn, hes playing third line minutes on TORONTO right now... hes not worth JVR plain and simple. Give me any of the 1-3 million cap hit guys that don't have the big names but play solid in their own end and I'll be satisfied.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:03 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionofDoom627 View Post
I would say that Jack Johnson, when he doesn't have to be depended on to be on the top pairing, would be fine in Philly. Hes going to most likely be on the 2nd/3rd pairing and his minutes reduced compared to the time he gets in LA.

Having said that, there are other guys that would come cheaper and not involve changes to the current roster that I would rather have. People need to stop dick riding L. Schenn, hes playing third line minutes on TORONTO right now... hes not worth JVR plain and simple. Give me any of the 1-3 million cap hit guys that don't have the big names but play solid in their own end and I'll be satisfied.
See the names I mentinoed. Which is what I think we need to go after - a SOLID d man, not a STUD right now.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:35 AM
DUHockey9

I always liked JJ, and loved him during the Olympics; but I can't say his TERRIBLE +/- numbers don't scare me. Worst on the team, by a long shot, doing on 4 years in a row (and it's quite close to 5)..

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I'd honestly rather go for Schenn than JJ
So would I. LA would want more than just JVR for JJ. While Toronto would have to add in a Luke for JVR deal. Thats just my opinion.

PS I just hope JVR comes back and knocks our socks off!

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:12 AM
haleks

If the rumours of Kubina for a 2nd and 5th are true, they basically got a deal for a solid D and keep their roster intact.

So Homer should play hardball with JVR and try to maximize the return as much as he can if he were to trade for JJ or LS or use him in a package to get Nash

Last edited by haleks: 02-18-2012 at 10:20 AM.
haleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:41 AM
MrHockey1982

We are maxed out at 50 contracts. Another trade will have to involve a player.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:49 AM
DUHockey9

I hope JVR has a good few games now that he is back so maybe we can trade him.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:54 AM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionofDoom627 View Post

I agree with this a lot ! Especially the part about Shenn......Every time i watch him play i always find myself thinking, oh well he just must of had a bad game ! I have never seen him perform to the "hype" level i hear about him......He may in time become a better than average D man but i think he is overrated for now....Although i still find myself giving him the benefit of doubt thinking he might be tanking to get traded ? But i seriously doubt that of course.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:58 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I hope JVR has a good few games now that he is back so maybe we can trade him.
Seriously, some people around here are insane.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:01 PM
toughfighter83*

i think i can understand why homer wants nash, not because of his scoring but his size too, i mean look at these forwards like giroux and briere, they are not big and they cant hit, we need a big physical forward, jvr isnt, he's got a rocket shot, that will be deadly on the pp, although he's not a defensemen, carle will be gone and i think he'll probably go with jvr for a defensemen like Fedor Tyutin, he'll be a physical force in defense.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
agreed

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:09 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
agreed
Eh, some of us arent in love with JVR like others.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:13 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
I agree. I don't not like JVR, but he's not the game-breaking player other 2nd overall picks tend to be.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:52 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:

It isn't just about JVR. Stop and think for a second.

"I hope our 23-year-old 2nd overall pick, who has shown legitimate glimpses of being able to DOMINATE at this level (not just fluky or inconsequential flashes), comes back from serious injury and starts tearing it up so we can trade him before he turns into the player we were all waiting for on someone else's team, mostly because I'm too impatient and want to get A) an overpriced rental, B) a pseudo-elite forward on a cap-crippling contract, C) an elite defenseman who may be available for free in the offseason, or D) a young healthy scratch with limited upside."

Has nothing to do with being in love.

ASSET MANAGEMENT. Isn't that what everyone here *****es about when Holmgren is involved?

You don't trade low, regardless of your personal beliefs in said player.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:56 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I agree. I don't not like JVR, but he's not the game-breaking player other 2nd overall picks tend to be.
The Flyers did not choose the right year to tank. And, like I've said before, the "2nd overall" tag will always distort JvR's value in Philadelphia. I'd still be very glad to see him progress here, hopefully into the man-on-a-mission he showed us against Boston, but I wouldn't be averse to dealing him (ie, from a position of strength) to shore up long-term defensive support.

Old
02-18-2012, 12:58 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Completely off topic: someone needs to redirect Phaneuf to a new barber who will style his hair down over his Darwin-refuting forehead.

EDIT: Sorry, this should be in the GDT. Phaneuf showed up in the feed between periods.

Old
02-18-2012, 01:01 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

If we trade JvR, I seriously think it's going to become a Cam Neely or John LeClair situation, and be legendary with his next team. He's young. Let him grow.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote