HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it me or are the Habs a better team under Cunney?

Old
02-18-2012, 01:18 PM
hockeyfan2k11

vCash: 500
Is it me or are the Habs a better team under Cunney?

I'm not saying Cunney's a better coach than Martin (all things considered, Martin is a better coach), but it seems like the team is playing a more aggressive game. There's more effort, and there are more goals. Defensively there might be a bit of a drop off but we lost many games under Martin where we allowed 1 or 2 goals. Too lazy to look up stats, but am I right that this is a better team under Cunney?

Habs have scored 3 goals or more in 10 of the last 12 games. I don't think we've ever experienced that under Martin.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Face81

Lately, it sure looks like it. But, don't forget that at the begiging we went something close to 1-5-0 right?

Face81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:22 PM
ThaDevilGirl

They have been scoring more, better forechecking, more physical but they still suck in the 3rd period.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Zorba

IMO we were better with Martin. He was never under .500 for such an extended period of time. I find our d coverage to be brutal over last few games. Price is saving our balls and it's still not enough

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:23 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I'm not saying Cunney's a better coach than Martin (all things considered, Martin is a better coach), but it seems like the team is playing a more aggressive game. There's more effort, and there are more goals. Defensively there might be a bit of a drop off but we lost many games under Martin where we allowed 1 or 2 goals. Too lazy to look up stats, but am I right that this is a better team under Cunney?

Habs have scored 3 goals or more in 10 of the last 12 games. I don't think we've ever experienced that under Martin.
More agressive forecheck (which created a lapse in backcheck and a long losing streak) is starting to payoff.
I think Cunney's main positive vs Martin is his ACCOUNTABILITY. Martin never dared to bench Gomez.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:24 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face81 View Post
Lately, it sure looks like it. But, don't forget that at the begiging we went something close to 1-5-0 right?
Personally, I don't count that. There were so many factors that contributed to the Habs poor play when Cunney came in.

Old
02-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
They haven't been very good under either, but I find the team more entertaining to watch with Cunneyworth. There have been quite a few bad games (particularly third-period choke jobs), but a lot more exciting ones than with Martin.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:27 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
IMO we were better with Martin. He was never under .500 for such an extended period of time. I find our d coverage to be brutal over last few games. Price is saving our balls and it's still not enough
Martin had 2 1/2 years to implement his system and bring in his guys. I'm not sure how you expect a coach to come in mid year and turn things around on a team that ultimately has a lot of holes and having his coaches handpicked by management.

If you think Price is saving our balls this year, then what do you call what he was doing last year and Halak the year before?

Price is playing well, but not as well as last year.

Old
02-18-2012, 01:27 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

They're funner to watch under Cunney that's for sure.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:28 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Habs are playing with fire under there *****. i don't RC is as much of a factor and i think any new coach would of had the same effect. Coaching wise, i'm not sold yet.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Zorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Martin had 2 1/2 years to implement his system and bring in his guys. I'm not sure how you expect a coach to come in mid year and turn things around on a team that ultimately has a lot of holes and having his coaches handpicked by management.

If you think Price is saving our balls this year, then what do you call what he was doing last year and Halak the year before?

Price is playing well, but not as well as last year.
What system are we playing under RC? It looks extremely disorganized. The man benches players and is playing 2 and a half lines most night. I have nothing against him and i wasnt a Martin guy but in all fairness, they both stink, Bring in a real coach

Old
02-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Well, if you consider "Too many men" minors as an indicator of "slowness", we have improved drastically in that department. And yes, we do seem to be skating harder, although guys like AK and Bourque seems set in their ways.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:33 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Habs are playing with fire under there *****. i don't RC is as much of a factor and i think any new coach would of had the same effect. Coaching wise, i'm not sold yet.
If the Habs got a new coach, I wouldn't have a problem has Cunney has not shown enough to convince me that he can do the job. At the same time, if he was retained I would not have an issue as I like a lot of the things he's done and I think he's the type of coach where players want to play with him and he's respected. I think Martin was respected but he would live and die with his vets and throw the young guys under the bus. That kind of stuff could divide a team. Then you have the bench minors....I don't think we've had a single one with Cunney.

Cunney stresses going to the dirty areas, hitting, being physical and firing pucks at the net. IMO, if he got a year or 2 to bring in his guys Asst. Coaches and players, we'd see a bigger, stronger, grittier team who can score goals. Probably would not be as good defensively, but the Defensive roster is abysmal.

Old
02-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
What system are we playing under RC? It looks extremely disorganized. The man benches players and is playing 2 and a half lines most night. I have nothing against him and i wasnt a Martin guy but in all fairness, they both stink, Bring in a real coach
Jacques Martin employed the neutral zone trap. I don't think benching a guy means you stop using that trap, which we still do at times.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Zorba

At the end of the day i wont matter, he will be canned right after the last game. He is not the coach next year. Im sure we all know that

Old
02-18-2012, 01:37 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
I don't think either coach stinks. You're being too harsh. I don't know what RC's system is...but he employs an aggressive 2 man forecheck which typically leaves you a bit vulnerable on the back end. Patience doesn't seem to exist on this board for some reason.

As far as the lines. There's a reason why he's playing 2 1/2 lines and that has to do with depth. We played 7 dmen because 4 of them were a liability 5 on 5 therefore you had to cut their minutes.

I don't agree with everything Cunney does but I understand he's a rookie coach and don't expec things to change overnight. The little change that I do see is good though.

Old
02-18-2012, 01:43 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
They're funner to watch under Cunney that's for sure.
That's about it

+

They got a sense of urgency

+

Smaller forwards out of the picture with Cammy gone and Gionta injured.

+

White back

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:52 PM
jwolf

Better at certain things, yes: more aggressive forecheck, net presence in the O zone, finishing our checks, effort level. Defensively, we're not stable at all. Martin's novocaine system compensated - slightly, albeit - for the lack of experience on D, but with this season's experience under their belts, our young D will be that much better next year. Add another veteran, hard nosed player back there during the off-season, and it'll be a different team come training camp.

jwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:55 PM
3hirty6ix

Still don't understand why all our coaches have hardons for Darche.

3hirty6ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I dont know if they are better, but they are different, and they are healthier.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Et le But

Well, one line is.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:12 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I dont know if they are better, but they are different, and they are healthier.
I'm not sure about that.

Old
02-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Aurel Joliat

The most important thing is that they are more fun to watch ! And that's why we watch hockey.

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:18 PM
HabsFan76

The Habs under RC have a better offensive output but defensive zone coverage is a complete disaster, its understandable to a certain extent since we have Campoli and Kaberle in the back end. We were much more solid in the defensive zone under Martin.

HabsFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:30 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Maybe not better. More entertaining? A thousand fold.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote