HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

v18: Hornets win draft lottery, will pick 1st. Raptors will pick 8th.

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2012, 08:57 AM
DirtyDion03
Big Wheel

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
I think he is the only one that can be a superstar in this draft. I'm sure there will be a few stars or really good players but he is one I see being a superstar.
I think this depends if Kabongo and Rivers go in the draft. I think those two have the potential to develop into some special players. For whatever reason I really expect Rivers to emerge as a really good player. I think it was that shot against UNC. It proved his killer instinct and his ability to hit big shots, and that's huge. You don't see a player do that very often and he's going to become a pretty good player, IMO. It also helps when your dad is the coach of the Boston Celtics, and he's playing for one of the best coaches of all-time.

I say Kabongo as well, because he's still SO young and he can do a little bit of everything.. He reminds me a bit of Rondo back in college, except not as good defensively.. Depending on how he develops I think he could definitely turn out to be a #1 PG on a decent team, maybe not superstar, but he'll be a good starter.

EDIT: The only other person that I could really see shine from this draft besides Davis, would be Perry Jones. His size, speed, and athleticism could give teams a lot of headaches in the future.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:18 AM
Nazem Bozak

vCash: 500
if the hype about drummond returning is true next draft class > this.

with Miller,Mcadoo,Drummond,Noel,Shabazz, theres a good chance guys like kabongo and rivers return

next years class looks pretty legit. if we don't get our SF this year im hoping for Quincy Miller next year

edit: i also know hes projected 35th this year if he declares, but the kid was ranked in the top 10 before the season another year at baylor with out PJIII people will begin to look at the kid

Last edited by Nazem Bozak: 02-17-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old
02-17-2012, 09:26 PM
leafsleafs

Only twelve players away!

Raptors getting used as fodder in an unbalanced rigged game.

NBA sucks.

Old
02-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

LOL!

Did the crowd cheer when the Bobcats won?

Old
02-17-2012, 10:28 PM
Suntouchable13

I am so sick of the Raptors. Only one season with a winning record in the past 10 years?

Old
02-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
I am so sick of the Raptors. Only one season with a winning record in the past 10 years?
Watch out, 91Kadri91 will tell you to stop watching

They're disgraceful, I'm hopeful they can turn it around soon, but they are pathetic.

Old
02-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic View Post

They're disgraceful, I'm hopeful they can turn it around soon, but they are pathetic.
I hope so because the fans deserve it. They get better crowds at home than some winning teams. I really hope that Jonas is going to be the real deal. Hopefully they also draft a really good player in the summer. We deserve some consecutive winning years.

Old
02-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Raptors don't deserve it only because management/ownership is so incompetent.

Fans deserve a winner. Raptors fans are really passionate and fill the building despite the crap. The crowds have dwindled, but who blames them now? When they start winning again, they'll kick ass.

Old
02-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Raptors don't deserve it only because management/ownership is so incompetent.

Fans deserve a winner. Raptors fans are really passionate and fill the building despite the crap. The crowds have dwindled, but who blames them now? When they start winning again, they'll kick ass.
This logic applies to sucky American NHL teams as well. Let's not be hypocritical.

Old
02-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
This logic applies to sucky American NHL teams as well. Let's not be hypocritical.
Not entirely. The Coyotes were good to draw big crowds, they didn't.

The Raptors DID draw good crowds.

Old
02-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Not entirely. The Coyotes were good to draw big crowds, they didn't.

The Raptors DID draw good crowds.
Well the Yotes are a dead team walking...everyone knows they're not staying there.

Dallas and NYI had great crowds when they were playoff teams but the toronto media constantly loves to make fun of their crowds now.

Old
02-17-2012, 11:07 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Well the Yotes are a dead team walking...everyone knows they're not staying there.

Dallas and NYI had great crowds when they were playoff teams but the toronto media constantly loves to make fun of their crowds now.
Dallas is a very strong market, and NYI just needs a new arena. That is/was a complete and utter mess. I love the NYI, what a rich tradition. I hope to see them back in the playoffs. This year, they just might. Devils-Isles fans unite with common cause against the Rangers, so our rivalry isn't as big, not right now.

Old
02-18-2012, 12:04 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Big loss for the tank tonight. I'm not a big follower of the raps but I know their rebuilding. I'm not really sure why fans are so pissed that their losing to bad teams. They are a bad team and should be losing these games. Hopefully, they dump BC by the end of the year and they can start to build back up.

Old
02-18-2012, 12:48 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I think this depends if Kabongo and Rivers go in the draft. I think those two have the potential to develop into some special players. For whatever reason I really expect Rivers to emerge as a really good player. I think it was that shot against UNC. It proved his killer instinct and his ability to hit big shots, and that's huge. You don't see a player do that very often and he's going to become a pretty good player, IMO. It also helps when your dad is the coach of the Boston Celtics, and he's playing for one of the best coaches of all-time.

I say Kabongo as well, because he's still SO young and he can do a little bit of everything.. He reminds me a bit of Rondo back in college, except not as good defensively.. Depending on how he develops I think he could definitely turn out to be a #1 PG on a decent team, maybe not superstar, but he'll be a good starter.

EDIT: The only other person that I could really see shine from this draft besides Davis, would be Perry Jones. His size, speed, and athleticism could give teams a lot of headaches in the future.
I think those guys could be good players, maybe even great but I dunno about superstars. A guy like Kabongo could turn out to be a Rondo which is a star point guard in the league but not like a Chris Paul/Rose/William who are superstars in the league.

Perry Jones intrigued me more last year but I've kinda grown sour on him just because there are questions about his work ethic and consistency and wasn't really even going to be a top 5 pick in 2011 draft. Could have snuck him if teams really wanted that size and athleticism but you have to apply those things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
This season was expected to be like this. Why are you surprised?

In fact, considering the injuries and the inconsistency from DeMar, they have probably overachieved a little. Sad but true.

I do think they're on their way up and doing things the right way. I'm still not a fan of BC. Still not convinced he is the right man for the job.

Old
02-18-2012, 03:08 AM
marquee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
I think those guys could be good players, maybe even great but I dunno about superstars. A guy like Kabongo could turn out to be a Rondo which is a star point guard in the league but not like a Chris Paul/Rose/William who are superstars in the league.

Perry Jones intrigued me more last year but I've kinda grown sour on him just because there are questions about his work ethic and consistency and wasn't really even going to be a top 5 pick in 2011 draft. Could have snuck him if teams really wanted that size and athleticism but you have to apply those things.

This season was expected to be like this. Why are you surprised?

In fact, considering the injuries and the inconsistency from DeMar, they have probably overachieved a little. Sad but true.

I do think they're on their way up and doing things the right way. I'm still not a fan of BC. Still not convinced he is the right man for the job.

With Kabongo's height and wingspan he'll never be the defensive player Rondo is. He'll be a below average defender and will have trouble finishing. At best right now he projects to be a backup. And just cause a player hits a gw and has this"killer instinct". WOnt make them superstar players many guys have played great at the ncaa level and that didnt translate to nba success. Not to say Rivers wont be an nba player but hes not the right fit for this team. WE should be looking at a guuy like Lamb.

Old
02-18-2012, 08:21 AM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post

If Austin Rivers is going to be a star, I'd love to see what Beal and Lamb are going to be.

Old
02-18-2012, 08:23 AM
91Kadri91

Quote:

Good one.

It's nice to see that your knowledge of basketball is no better than my brother's, who has never watched a basketball game in his life. It makes for easy arguments.

Old
02-18-2012, 08:29 AM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquee View Post
With Kabongo's height and wingspan he'll never be the defensive player Rondo is. He'll be a below average defender and will have trouble finishing. At best right now he projects to be a backup. And just cause a player hits a gw and has this"killer instinct". WOnt make them superstar players many guys have played great at the ncaa level and that didnt translate to nba success. Not to say Rivers wont be an nba player but hes not the right fit for this team. WE should be looking at a guuy like Lamb.
Kabongo has a ridiculous wingspan. It's somewhere around 6'10'', actually.

He's also ridiculously fast/quick, and has a really good handle, making it easy for him to get in the lane. He will have trouble finishing (like you said) though, unless he puts on some weight.

I agree with what you said about Rivers.

Old
02-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Good riddance, BC! I don't see him coming back. Time to evaluate & spend money in rebuilding with the young blood we have. No Bargnani= BIG LOSS.

Honestly, I think we're not that far away. We got some high end prospects (AB, JV, top three pick next year), some decent talent (AJ, DD, ED, JC)... acquire some vets and some experience, we'll be better off.

It's just that BC has no master plan, he really does suck. I believe AB is sitting on the bench because BC wants him to rest.

Old
02-18-2012, 12:52 PM
xXxCrosby87Xx*

Not Raptors related, but here's a 1 on 1 interview with Jeremy Lin yesterday on MSG Network. Interview is about 23 minutes long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acn57YQjLN4

Old
02-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

**** Jeremy Lin. Turnover Bot 3000. 45 TO in 7 games lol. He's the Ilya Kovalchuk of basketball.

Old
02-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Eytinge

Stop hating on Lin. He's aight.

Old
02-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Bautista is an even better story, but the coverage and hype of it all wasn't even anywhere near the same as Lin, plus no one is questioning if Jeremy Lin is on PED's.

It's because he's in NY, it's a big deal. If he did the same thing in Toronto, people would be like, meh, who cares.

**** Lin, **** the New York Knicks and **** the hysteria.

Old
02-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Dr.Funk

vCash: 1060
Quote:
Bautista is an even better story, but the coverage and hype of it all wasn't even anywhere near the same as Lin, plus no one is questioning if Jeremy Lin is on PED's.

It's because he's in NY, it's a big deal. If he did the same thing in Toronto, people would be like, meh, who cares.

Amen

Old
02-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:

Tis' true. I don't mind Lin story, I think its great but people are really overrating him. He will likely be an above average point guard, maybe even a all-star at some point but anybody that think he is going to become a superstar or anything like that are crazy.

Closed Thread