HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

All-Purpose Trade Rumors and Speculation Thread Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
IMO, DW is done dealing for bottom 6. If he gets a top 6, Havlat or Clowe moves down taking one of those slots. I like Winchester, but coaches rarely make players like Winchester regulars in a playoff lineup. They go for guys with more offensive skill like Wingels or Ferriero. With the way it has gone, I actually think Mitchell, Winchester, Wingels and Ferriero will rotate. That rotation is a compliment to Winchester who has shown that he is far more than an enforcer. The rotation is a negative to Mitchell who has shown that he doesn't maintain the cycle well consistently. If I were TM with their current play, I would have Wingels on 3rd line and Mitchell on 4th. Any slippage, Winchester. Last resort, Ferriero. I like McCarthy as well for his cycle and defense, but I don't think the coaching staff does and I think he has the least scoring promise of all of them.
I think DW is done overall except maybe moving a contract out. Coaches definitely go for more offensive skill in the lineup for the playoffs but Winchester has brought that. He is one of the guys that does well at holding the puck in the offensive zone and creating some plays in limited time. I see no reason to bench him in the playoffs when he brings size, possession, and chances as a 4th liner.

Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski
Clowe-Couture-Havlat
McGinn-Moore-Handzus
Winchester-Desjardins-Mitchell/Wingels/Sheppard/Ferriero

There's your rotation. You keep the guys in when it comes to the bottom six that know and have shown they can get and maintain zone time and Winchester-Desjardins do that regularly.

Old
maryb

vCash: 500
AMG! finally got my account working after reading these forums for the past 2+ seasons! (and delaying a little bit on creating an account)

i could see wingels and havlat (when back) rotating on the second/third line, there's a lot of depth to be moved around with this team now between lines. ideally, id like:

Marleau/Desi/Winchester - Thornton - Pavelski
Clowe - Couture - Havlat/Wingels/Marleau
McGinn - Moore - Havlat/Wingels
Desjardins - Handzus - Winchester/Mitchell/TOM/Mccarthy

Vlasic - Boyle
Murray - Burns
Demers/White/Vandy - Braun

White/Vandy

ferriero will be lurking around there too, as i see management not sending him back down due to possibility of being claimed off of waivers. or possibly trading, which i am unsure how i feel about it/him still.

granted, there's going to be odd man(s) out especially with our roster cap at its limit and still expecting demers, havlat and sheppard all to get play time at some point (i'd like to see sheppard get at least somewhat of a chance. his numbers looked decent before the NHL level guessing bad development in minnesota) with mccarthy and wingels being the only players not eligible for waivers if sent down.

hoping that a change in havlat's training and rehabbing with sharks trainers have an impact with this large amount of time off, as i liked what he brought to the table. wellwood was similar with his puck dangling/movement/playmaking, but havlat with a much larger upside point production.

and one last note, agree with a lot of what SJeasy and hockeyball offer/submit. and really appreciate all the work the moderators do here, especially LadyStanley, so thank you!

sorry for long post. lot to say, been reading a lot on these boards

Old
Fred Flintstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
This is not a rumor, just found it really funny:
Sutter: "(Penner) went out of the lineup because he was horse(crap), so he'd better step up to the plate or he might not get another look."

As for rumors - Columbus & Philly brass had a 45 minute face to face meeting today, Philly pundits believe it's for Nash.

This is from Aaron Portzline, the CBJ beat writer:
Told #CBJ GM Scott Howson and sr adviser Craig Patrick in Philadelphia, met w #Flyers GM Paul Holmgren and sr. vp Bobby Clark for 45 mins.

There might be more suitors / teams in on Nash than people think.
flyers are always trying to make trades and sign big names and yet they fail

Old
02-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Flintstone View Post
flyers are always trying to make trades and sign big names and yet they fail
Irony.

Old
02-18-2012, 01:32 PM
TealManV
A man has said

Do you think Howson would rather get Penner or Havlet back in a deal for Nash? He's going to have to take a big contract back to be rid of Nash's albatross. Just a fact.

Old
02-18-2012, 01:34 PM
stalockrox

[QUOTE=TealManV;44373637]Do you think Howson would rather get Penner or Havlet back in a deal for Nash? He's going to have to take a big contract back to be rid of Nash's albatross. Just a fact.[/QUOTE]

No, it's not...that's your opinion.

Columbus does not have to take salary back if they don't want to. A contract like Penner (UFA after this season) may be included but it's definitely not something they have to take on.

Old
02-18-2012, 01:37 PM
TealManV
A man has said

[QUOTE=stalockrox;44373785]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealManV View Post
Do you think Howson would rather get Penner or Havlet back in a deal for Nash? He's going to have to take a big contract back to be rid of Nash's albatross. Just a fact.[/QUOTE]

No, it's not...that's your opinion.

Columbus does not have to take salary back if they don't want to. A contract like Penner (UFA after this season) may be included but it's definitely not something they have to take on.
Haha! You're so cute. That just made my morning. None of the teams on Nash's list have the cap space to take on his contract without sending some substantial salary back to Columbus. So if Howson wants to trade Rick this season and not wait until the offseason he will be taking back a bad contract in the process.

Last edited by TealManV: 02-18-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Edits
Old
02-18-2012, 01:39 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealManV View Post
Do you think Howson would rather get Penner or Havlet back in a deal for Nash? He's going to have to take a big contract back to be rid of Nash's albatross. Just a fact.
That's not true at all. Nash can be traded with CBJ taking back little money after this season or just taking a pending UFA to offset the cap issue.

Old
02-18-2012, 01:45 PM
stalockrox

[QUOTE=TealManV;44374195]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post

Haha! You're so cute. That just made my morning. None of the teams on Nash's list have the cap space to take on his contract without sending some substantial salary back to Columbus. So if Howson wants to trade Rick this season and not wait until the offseason he will be taking back a bad contract in the process.
The Kings could include Johnson plus another $1mil and have enough room, the Flyers 'bad' contracts are all very good players and everyone else on the list need to move about $2 mil or less to take him on. Capgeek is your friend, you should use it.

Thanks for calling me cute though, it's always fun to get backhanded comments.

Old
02-18-2012, 01:57 PM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:
IMO, White is losing ground in the coach's eyes. I am waiting to look at minute distribution on Braun and Demers when Demers gets back. Compare it to Vandy and White. I wouldn't be surprised to see Demers/Braun as bottom pair in the playoffs and I am pretty sure Braun is ahead of Demers in the coach's eyes (mine as well for defensive coverage).
I don't think you have to wait. White started off on the 2nd pairing for the Carolina game, but he ended up with slightly less minutes than Braun. That tells me he's still getting the nod because of his experience (at least over Braun) but he isn't getting it done on the ice.

Quote:
I am looking at Wingels' cycle play. He is slightly over McGinn but McGinn is better for scoring touch. Wingels is also trusted with higher matchups.

The last part of the season should show us where the coaches are placing their trust.
I agree we are going to find out down the stretch. Wingles has a whole 17 games of NHL experience. I don't think we've seen enough to really know what we have. I see him getting a chance on the 2nd line and he's looked pretty good. I'm just not ready to hand him the job yet. He has to show some consistancy before I would want to trust him with more minutes in the playoffs.

Old
02-18-2012, 02:07 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post
I don't think you have to wait. White started off on the 2nd pairing for the Carolina game, but he ended up with slightly less minutes than Braun. That tells me he's still getting the nod because of his experience (at least over Braun) but he isn't getting it done on the ice.

I agree we are going to find out down the stretch. Wingles has a whole 17 games of NHL experience. I don't think we've seen enough to really know what we have. I see him getting a chance on the 2nd line and he's looked pretty good. I'm just not ready to hand him the job yet. He has to show some consistancy before I would want to trust him with more minutes in the playoffs.
Lately Wingles has been playing too well to sit.

Old
02-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Squeeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
I don't have any names in particular but I wouldn't mind an additional 4th liner on this team. We are relying on homegrown talent a little too much for the bottom 6 and they are for the most part young and soft.

McGinn-Moore-another legit 3rd liner
Winchester-Handzus-another 4th liner

I don't care what you guys say - I loved Eager.
I don't know what there is to love about a guy who single handedly cost us a game in the WCF against the Canucks. The guy is a goon, nothing more.

Old
02-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Kitten Mittons

I don't think he cost us that game at all.

Old
02-18-2012, 03:23 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
I personally loved Nichol, the energy he brought alone was fantastic, he was a hard working player.

only drawback was his size.

Old
02-18-2012, 03:25 PM
sharkbite3
Don't Go Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
The guy is a goon, nothing more.

Old
02-18-2012, 03:45 PM
hockeyball

Eager was unstable, and disliked by the players. Winchester does everything Eager did without the bat-**** insane part.

Old
02-18-2012, 03:48 PM
sharkbite3
Don't Go Joe

I agree 100%.

Old
02-18-2012, 03:49 PM
lsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Eager was unstable, and disliked by the players. Winchester does everything Eager did without the bat-**** insane part.

This.

Old
02-18-2012, 03:51 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327

Guess I'm the only one that misses Nichol, dude had a big heart

Old
02-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Torrey likes him... ;-)

Good to see you change your tune on Winchester. I remember you were pretty vocal against during the pre-season.

Old
02-18-2012, 04:02 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Torrey likes him... ;-)

Good to see you change your tune on Winchester. I remember you were pretty vocal against during the pre-season.
Yah, he's really changed my opinion of him.

Old
02-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Yah, he's really changed my opinion of him.
I had a hunch he'd turn out well. He's exceeded my expectations, though. He's like our version of Chris Neil or Shawn Thornton.

Old
02-18-2012, 04:45 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post

I agree on the consistency issue for Wingels. Time will tell. I think they are fed up with Ferriero for that issue because he has been given chance after chance.

What they have been doing since Murray went down is making sure they have one of Vlasic, Burns or Boyle on the ice and rotate the rest. The only guy who hasn't appeared with one of those three is Braun. It probably doesn't matter who starts with Burns because TM starts enacting the rotation quickly. He was using Vlasic/White a bit. The TOI is a giveaway especially ES TOI. And, White is getting smoked on PK numbers as well as the last two games being on ice for 5 of 6 ES goals against (a lot of primary and secondary faults to White on those goals by eyeball). I wonder when evenhanded evaluation will win out over hardheadedness in lineup decisions.

Old
02-18-2012, 04:52 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
We probably would've lost that game anyways, but Eager killed any chance that we had that day. I'm glad he's gone. Same for Mayers, Nichol, Wallin and Huskins.

Old
02-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger

Price too high for Flyers(at moment) for Nash. May re-engage later. JVR,Bobrovski, Schenn or Couturier believed to be part of asking price.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Closed Thread