HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Jakob Silfverberg - SEL Champion and Playoffs MVP

Old
02-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
He's the Sens best forward prospect and has been since we drafted him. Love his game and potential...
Yes sir. I believe we've both been 'pumping his tires' for a while now. I hope they put him right with Spezza next season.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:51 PM
ZetterBurger

Come on Ottawa. If you really like this kid you should have the heart to let him keep playing with Jarnkrok.

Kindl for Silvferberg...no counter offers!!

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:55 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Yes sir. I believe we've both been 'pumping his tires' for a while now. I hope they put him right with Spezza next season.
Ya, I said from day one when we drafted him he was our best forward prospect. I'll stick with that statement now as well even with Zibanejad, Stone and Noesen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
Come on Ottawa. If you really like this kid you should have the heart to let him keep playing with Jarnkrok.

Kindl for Silvferberg...no counter offers!!
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:05 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Silfverberg's shot is unbelievable.

So accurate. Him and Stone will cause HAVOC for goalies.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:27 AM
Ferros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
I stand by my prediction, something close to Louis Eriksson. I'll be very happy with that.
I think this is a really good comparison, at least the best one that I can think of.

Personally I'm a really big fan of Silfverberg, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually became a slightly better version of Loui and end up as one of the best forwards in the NHL. At least I feel that he has the potential to do so.

It will be very nice to see how he will develop in the upcoming years.

Ferros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 05:15 AM
nudie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThundaLion View Post
What kind of company does he join by being a PPG in the SEL before coming over to the NHL?
Huselius had a sick season before he went to Panthers. GP 49, G 32, A 35, P 67. Playoffs 5 games 9 points.

nudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:06 AM
The Turret
Jävla grisapa!

Can't wait for next season with Silfverberg on the Sens, hopefully he plays with Turris and Alfie. Would make a sweet second line.

The Turret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:10 AM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Ya, I said from day one when we drafted him he was our best forward prospect. I'll stick with that statement now as well even with Zibanejad, Stone and Noesen.

So when we drafted him as pretty much an unknown (for N/A fans at least, I followed that draft real closely and I was thrown off when I saw we drafted him) whom many were saying 'who?'. After his 4pts in 16 games in his draft year you knew he was our best forward prospect.

Why are you on the HF boards when you should be off scouting somewhere?

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:33 AM
joe89

The positive for Ottawa is that they get a fully developed player. I wish more Swedish prospects did it his way. Too many careers stagnate by either early injuries(because they're not physically ready) or in the AHL. I think the AHL route should be for the players that can't find ice time in the SEL.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:55 AM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
So when we drafted him as pretty much an unknown (for N/A fans at least, I followed that draft real closely and I was thrown off when I saw we drafted him) whom many were saying 'who?'. After his 4pts in 16 games in his draft year you knew he was our best forward prospect.
Why are you on the HF boards when you should be off scouting somewhere?
Helps that at the time he had absolutely zero competition. He's simply developed really well, and better then my own expectations.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
The positive for Ottawa is that they get a fully developed player. I wish more Swedish prospects did it his way. Too many careers stagnate by either early injuries(because they're not physically ready) or in the AHL. I think the AHL route should be for the players that can't find ice time in the SEL.

Couldn't agree more.

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 02:33 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Helps that at the time he had absolutely zero competition. He's simply developed really well, and better then my own expectations.
I'm glad you didn't take my post too seriously, was just havin' a little fun

I can't wait to see him for my self, I'm keeping expectations low at first as to not get disappointed ala Rundblad (different animal, i know but still, it stung! haha) and also that way if he come's out like he was shot out of a cannon, I'll be even more impressed.

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Yes, he was our best forward prospect when he was drafted because he was better than Jim O'Brien...he's still arguably our best forward prospect because he's developed well beyond any casual observers reasonable expectations.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:43 AM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merla View Post
From Eliteprospects which is pretty accurate:

"Silfverberg is a strong skating two-way forward with good hockey sense. He is a very smart and mature player and is solid both offensively and defensively. Silfverberg has good technical skills and plays with plenty of intensity. His shot is quick, but could be more accurate and he does not really play very physical. "

My projection would be 2nd line winger (or 1st line winger if he's traded to Pens in the near future).

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:51 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubbe View Post
Can't wait for next season with Silfverberg on the Sens, hopefully he plays with Turris and Alfie. Would make a sweet second line.

Silfverberg - Zibanejad - Alfie

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Kevin8se7en
Former Flyers Fan

I know a guy who watches a lot of SEL games and he says he'll translate to a guy like Janik Hansen. Makes sense to me.

Great 3rd Liner, who can easily play 2nd line if there's an Injury or if he gets "hot". Remember, Hansen could get a lot more points, if he wasn't berried beneath all that talent on Vancouver.

If he does end up playing 1st line, it's likely not because he's 1st line material (A la Spezza) but more because he has chemistry with one or two players on the 1st line (A La Greening).

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:51 PM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
I know a guy who watches a lot of SEL games and he says he'll translate to a guy like Janik Hansen. Makes sense to me.

Great 3rd Liner, who can easily play 2nd line if there's an Injury or if he gets "hot". Remember, Hansen could get a lot more points, if he wasn't berried beneath all that talent on Vancouver.

If he does end up playing 1st line, it's likely not because he's 1st line material (A la Spezza) but more because he has chemistry with one or two players on the 1st line (A La Greening).
silfverberg a career 3rd liner?

nope, not with the show he puts up this season.

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenze View Post

He very well could be. Tim Murray himself said if Silf gets an extra step he should be a top 6er, if not he's probably a very good 3rd liner.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:02 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
He very well could be. Tim Murray himself said if Silf gets an extra step he should be a top 6er, if not he's probably a very good 3rd liner.
Tim Murray said this year Silfverberg could have played on our third line from the get-go. If he gained an extra first step he would be at least top 6.

Old
02-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Tim Murray said this year Silfverberg could have played on our third line from the get-go. If he gained an extra first step he would be at least top 6.
Yeah but he still said he needs an extra step to be a top 6er. Calling him a great 2nd-3rd line tweener is hardly an unfair projection. Its not his upside but if someone who watches him believes thats what he'll become... thats far from crazy

Old
02-18-2012, 03:09 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Yeah but he still said he needs an extra step to be a top 6er. Calling him a great 2nd-3rd line tweener is hardly an unfair projection. Its not his upside but if someone who watches him believes thats what he'll become... thats far from crazy
That's true.

Old
02-18-2012, 03:11 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenze View Post

he could be

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
We have people that watch the SEL having projections that range from Alfie 2.0 to great 3rd liner. Someone's wrong. I mean, I know tons of people that watch tons of NHL hockey but their evaluations on players are laugh worthy, even if it's for their own team.

If you find the average comparison it usually comes out to something like Loui Eriksson...factor in potential Swedish homerism, what he's doing right now, how he played in the recent Euro tournament (very good)....you start thinking it's hard to believe this guy isn't a top 6 player.

It's not often players quickness top out at 20-21 and a captain at 21 in Sweden and an alternate on the national team, it's hard to believe he doesn't have the work ethic. Pierre Dorion said he was a 3rd liner coming off an 18+18 season in 52 games. He followed it up with 19+24 in 42 games....I imagine he's developed in certain realms since last season.

The reality is these guys never really know to pin point what a player will be...for better or worse, but with what Silfverberg's doing, not just in production, but leadership on a top SEL team AND a national team you can't help but think if they are wrong on this players projection it is wrong for the better.

Character play/work ethic, hockey sense, a booming shot and varied shooting repertoire, and he goes to the net and scores dirty. He handles the puck very well. All of a sudden he's one timing pucks now and today we got another goal, a knee drop one timer on a pass he had to reach back for.

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 02-18-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:37 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
tim murray also said it made him sick watching him at dev camp and knowing he wont have him this year.

02-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

I agree and I think he will be a top 6er, but its ridiculous how everyone is dismissing the possibility of him turning out as a great 2nd/3rd line tweener.