HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Jakob Silfverberg - SEL Champion and Playoffs MVP

Old
02-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenze View Post
silfverberg a career 3rd liner?

nope, not with the show he puts up this season.
You are thinking too much of guys like Max Talbot and Shawn Thornton. Guys with very little offensive upside. Shutdown guys

It's more like Darren Helm, Jannik Hansen, Derek Stepan, Jordan Staal, Wayne Simmonds, Mason Raymond... those are all 3rd liners.

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
I agree and I think he will be a top 6er, but its ridiculous how everyone is dismissing the possibility of him turning out as a great 2nd/3rd line tweener.
Yeah I'd just say it's not the most likely of scenario's given what he's doing. That was almost the same kind of projection he got before breaking out. It's certainly possible...but those possibles lie for any top prospect.

Silfverberg's establishing himself as a really legit prospect these days. It's not even his offense that has to be his best trait....even if he's a 50-60 point player I think he may have more value defensively.

Might see him explode with scoring chances once he gets to smaller ice...small ice may force him to "just shoot" a lot more and that may bode well for him in the end. It'd be a good thing for this guy to be forced to shoot more.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:46 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
You are thinking too much of guys like Max Talbot and Shawn Thornton. Guys with very little offensive upside. Shutdown guys

It's more like Darren Helm, Jannik Hansen, Derek Stepan, Jordan Staal, Wayne Simmonds, Mason Raymond... those are all 3rd liners.
If Stepan is a 3rd liner so is Gaborik.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

To be fair, none of those guys shoot the puck like Silfverberg does. And some of those guys would be top 6 forwards in other places....Stepan and Staal are certainly top 6 forwards.

Old
02-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

Quote:
If Stepan is a 3rd liner so is Gaborik.
I should have been more specific, my bad.

Stepan was a 3rd liner most of last year when he scored what? 23 goals and 45 points I think.
He was only bumped up to 1st this year I believe.

Old
02-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
I should have been more specific, my bad.

Stepan was a 3rd liner most of last year when he scored what? 23 goals and 45 points I think.
He was only bumped up to 1st this year I believe.
That's part of being 20.

Silfverberg may be on the 3rd line next year in his rookie year, that doesn't mean that's what he'll always be. The guy does have some legit offensive upside...no question.

Old
02-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
To be fair, none of those guys shoot the puck like Silfverberg does. And some of those guys would be top 6 forwards in other places....Stepan and Staal are certainly top 6 forwards.
Fair enough

Old
02-18-2012, 05:27 PM
SChan*

Quote:
He very well could be. Tim Murray himself said if Silf gets an extra step he should be a top 6er, if not he's probably a very good 3rd liner.
well he is ahead of alfredsson in the same age, and he didnt exactly turn out to be a 3rd liner. But it is hard to project prospects.

Here is the thing though, magnus paajarvi is currently playing top6 in edmonton, and while he is 1 year younger than silfverberg, i dont think he will ever be the offensive dynamo that oiler fans think.

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Hybbe

And Silfverberg scored another (significant) goal today again in a low scoring game. Is he hot or what?

Hybbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Minister of Offence

http://www.silversevensens.com/2012/...lfverberg-says

Quote:
I know that many of you would have wanted for him to not go back to Sweden for this season. Jakob gave an explanation to why he chose to do so in an interwiew recently.

"It's a big step to take," he said, "and I didn't feel mature enough to take that step. I needed this year to make sure I'm ready for it and now I'm sure. Im ready."

To the question if he would return to Sweden next season if he got sent to the AHL he answered, "No, my goal is to play in the NHL, if Ottawa thinks I need time in the AHL to reach that goal, thats what I'll do."
Apparently his standards to be NHL ready included:
1. Be the top winger in the SEL
2. Wear the "C" for a contender
3. Wear an "A" for the national team

Old
02-19-2012, 10:06 AM
BeerandHockey
╚(_)╝

Quote:

Me likey!

BeerandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Dionysus

Quote:

Is there another article where he talked about those standards he set, or other goals of his? Would be interested in checking it out.

Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Is there another article where he talked about those standards he set, or other goals of his? Would be interested in checking it out.
Haha no, and I wasn't serious about those "standards".

I said it when he made the decision to not come over despite the Sens admittedly trying to convince him to....I think Silfverberg's issue was that he's very smart. Either he's got a good grip on himself or he's getting some really good guidance from somewhere.

This kid wants to play in the league, his favourite teams going into the draft were listed at Ottawa and Detroit....he's certainly enthused about playing in the NHL and playing in Ottawa. But after all this, he decided to take it slow.

He accomplished all those things and now he's ready...you don't see many kids turn down the NHL when it comes calling, unless they don't want to be there. This kid wants to be there, and he wanted to be truly ready. It's a process that many kids have been rushed through....but not one where prospects choose to be "anti-rushed".

For this reason, how he enters the league and transitions to the league will be interesting for anyone that has a take on how player development and paths to the NHL should be handled. This kids legitimately about as mature as you can be before coming to the NHL, while still being a young player that has room to grow.

Like I said before, he's either very mature, or he's at least mature enough to listen to someone giving him some really sound guidance.

Old
02-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Beerfest*

Sorry if this was mentioned already in this thread, but is he coming over next year?

Beerfest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Kid Canesten

Quote:
Haha no, and I wasn't serious about those "standards".

I said it when he made the decision to not come over despite the Sens admittedly trying to convince him to....I think Silfverberg's issue was that he's very smart. Either he's got a good grip on himself or he's getting some really good guidance from somewhere.

This kid wants to play in the league, his favourite teams going into the draft were listed at Ottawa and Detroit....he's certainly enthused about playing in the NHL and playing in Ottawa. But after all this, he decided to take it slow.

He accomplished all those things and now he's ready...you don't see many kids turn down the NHL when it comes calling, unless they don't want to be there. This kid wants to be there, and he wanted to be truly ready. It's a process that many kids have been rushed through....but not one where prospects choose to be "anti-rushed".

For this reason, how he enters the league and transitions to the league will be interesting for anyone that has a take on how player development and paths to the NHL should be handled. This kids legitimately about as mature as you can be before coming to the NHL, while still being a young player that has room to grow.

Like I said before, he's either very mature, or he's at least mature enough to listen to someone giving him some really sound guidance.
perfectly said

Kid Canesten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 07:09 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfest View Post
Sorry if this was mentioned already in this thread, but is he coming over next year?
For sure. He even said if the management don't think he's ready for the NHL he'll spend time in the AHL.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 02:27 PM
SChan*

#100 has a point streak of 9 straight games now. 45p in 43 games.

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenze View Post
#100 has a point streak of 9 straight games now. 45p in 43 games.
Media in Ottawa haven't even taken much notice.

By this time last year people were creaming over Rundblad. What youtube can do for a guy.

Need a 2011/12 version of this. So much cheddar.

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 02-21-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old
02-21-2012, 04:46 PM
HSF

Quote:
Media in Ottawa haven't even taken much notice.

By this time last year people were creaming over Rundblad. What youtube can do for a guy.

Need a 2011/12 version of this. So much cheddar.
what Rundblad did last year was more impressive than Silfverberg cause he was a defensemen

he was also flashier so making a highlight vid would have been easy and drawn more attention

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
what Rundblad did last year was more impressive than Silfverberg cause he was a defensemen

he was also flashier so making a highlight vid would have been easy and drawn more attention
I agree with the 2nd part.

But Silfverberg has been wearing a "C" for a top team. And he's a stud in his own end as much as offensively...it may not be as impressive from your computer screen.

Old
02-21-2012, 07:39 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

2 more points for Silfverberg.

45 points in 43 games.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:

But Silfverberg has been wearing a "C" for a top team. And he's a stud in his own end as much as offensively...it may not be as impressive from your computer screen.
But it's more impressive from your computer screen? Or are you posting from Gvle?

I don't think what HSF said was unreasonable - what Rundblad did last year was a lot more unprecedented. That doesn't mean Silfverberg hasn't been a beast this year, any more than it means he won't be more effective than Rundblad when he comes over next year.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 07:50 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post

Silfverberg will have a much bigger impact than Rundblad.

The way Rundblad played in the SEL was never gonna translate well to the NHL. He played hockey like he was Bobby Orr, which is impossible with the increased speed and smaller ice in the NHL. I even called this last year: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...5&postcount=20

Silfverberg on the other hand relies on his good work ethic and his excellent release. Both skills which are very effective and important in the NHL.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
But it's more impressive from your computer screen? Or are you posting from Gvle?

I don't think what HSF said was unreasonable - what Rundblad did last year was a lot more unprecedented. That doesn't mean Silfverberg hasn't been a beast this year, any more than it means he won't be more effective than Rundblad when he comes over next year.
I'm certainly more impressed with this prospect....there's very little mention at all about what he's doing. A rare feat in it's own right.

Old
02-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Hale The Villain

It is far too early to give up on Rundblad. The kid wasn't NHL ready in his first year, but can still turn into a real solid offensive defenseman.

Just because he was traded does not mean he is worthless. I imagine him being traded has a lot more to do with how highly our management thinks of Turris rather than how poorly they thought of David.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote