HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Trent Hunter put on waviers [Cleared] [Assigned to Manchester]

Old
02-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Scrivezina
Who needs offense?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Silly me - I thought that the outcome of the game was determined by which team scored the most goals. Apparently there is a "grit and effort" component to the standings that isn't published...
Yes, it's how Toronto makes it's decisions.... Ask Vancouver.... their fans swear by it.

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:25 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Whats wrong with you guys........

Lewis turn slowly into a Draper like player.
Someone the oponents really hate to play aginst and scores here and tehre.

Exactly what i want from our 4th line center.
Now the coaching staff has to turn Clifford into a MocCarthy and we are set at 4th line.
That just requires to explain the game of hockey to Clifford and tel him to stop to fight

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:02 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Usually i agree with you sjmay, but this time I think it was more of failed expectations for Moreau and Hunter, especially Hunter. I think DL was hoping for something closer to the pre-injury Hunter, 10 goals 25-30 points on the third line.

Largely, our entire bottom two lines have failed to even come within the same hemisphere as their pre-season expectations (not that the top two lines are a lot better).
True, I expected more from both of them as well, I would venture to say it was a win-win for Lombardi though, if Moreau and Hunter play well and contribute, then, they play well and contribute, if they don't, the kids are maturing every day and he buys them extra time...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:54 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
You boldfaced my first sentence and conveniently skipped my second, particularly the first two words of it.
Huh? I agree with your post. I was explaining why DL was getting bashed over Hunter, since you "didn't get" why.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:17 PM
bobafettish*

he clears. more veteran leadership for manchester i guess.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:32 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Trent Hunter assigned to Manch.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Then why was he drafted in the 1st round?
He was always projected to go in the first round, from a lot of sources.

He was also never projected to be more then a 3rd liner. I am not making it up, if you have a problem with it email central scouting. They are the ones who projected the guy in the first round.

Ya know more then just goal scorers and 50-60 point defensmen are taken in the first round right?

People tend to forget that. Oh he was in the first round?

That means he is a 60+ point player then huh.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
It was worth the chance on Hunter, but he's clearly done.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Stoll should be the one going to the minors.

Failed as a 2nd line center, failed as a 3rd line center, failed as a winger, failed on the point on the PP.

Maybe they can try him out as a ticket rep, that department could probably use all the help it needs.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

There were concerns about the offensive upside of Trevor Lewis when he was a college recruit. He was always projected as a 3rd line player.

The problem with the Lewis pick and especially the Teubert picks were they passed over significantly better and more skilled players to draft low ceiling players who Lombardi thought would fill a role.

It's really not an optimal strategy to draft players like that in the first round. But again when you have a GM who values muckers, grinders and grit over all else what do you expect. Who could watch Colten Teubert and think he was a better player than Myers, Karlsson, Carlson, Sbisa and Gardiner.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:23 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I don't get the Lewis hate. He's not around to score goals.
Agreed, but two goals, one on a penalty shot, isn't much after 48 games. Kevin Westgarth has a better goal per game pace than Lewis. I expected more than this offensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Moreau, Hunter, Sturm.....sigh.
Free, free and free...sigh. Seriously guys, what did you expect from these guys? Two were signed to eat minutes on the 4th line, one was brought in to get some points. Sturm was hurt most of the time but still put up nine points in 17 games. Low cost, low risk, low reward players. All teams get scrubs like tehse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post

I don't, but I think first round pick should mean you'll have some offensive output. Like Marty Reasoner, same basic role as Lewis, but he can still chip in 20-30 points a season most years. Lewis has six goals in his career. I expected more from a 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Who could watch Colten Teubert and think he was a better player than Myers, Karlsson, Carlson, Sbisa and Gardiner.
not to really disagree with you Herby (welcome back btw), but CSB had Gardiner ranked behind Teubert and Carlson was only one spot ahead of him. I still don't understand why we didn't take Myers over Teubert, since they both play similar games (Myers obviously more of a twp-way game). I assume they though Myers skating andfoot speed wouldn't translate to the NHL game, something that was a concern at the time. Still obviously a bad pick.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:33 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
He was always projected to go in the first round, from a lot of sources.

He was also never projected to be more then a 3rd liner. I am not making it up, if you have a problem with it email central scouting. They are the ones who projected the guy in the first round.

Ya know more then just goal scorers and 50-60 point defensmen are taken in the first round right?

You're missing the point.

What kind of 3rd liner only scores 3 goals per season?

Trevor Lewis was drafted 17th overall to be an excellent 3rd line center; you know, the type of guy that is versatile, can be used in nearly all game situations, shut down the opposition's top players, chip in 10-15 goals per season ect.

He didn't get drafted in the 1st round to be another dime-a-dozen scrub. The minor leagues are filled with players that can do what Lewis has done thus far. Now, I'm not trying to knock the kid, he can still develop, but if he doesn't improve from here on out, he's a total bust.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:59 PM
tomd

The player comparison used for Trevor Lewis by Murray and Lombardi was Rod Brind'Amour. That is NOT a 3rd line center projection. They expected him to be a scoring 2nd line center. Fail.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
You're missing the point.

What kind of 3rd liner only scores 3 goals per season?

Trevor Lewis was drafted 17th overall to be an excellent 3rd line center; you know, the type of guy that is versatile, can be used in nearly all game situations, shut down the opposition's top players, chip in 10-15 goals per season ect.

He didn't get drafted in the 1st round to be another dime-a-dozen scrub. The minor leagues are filled with players that can do what Lewis has done thus far. Now, I'm not trying to knock the kid, he can still develop, but if he doesn't improve from here on out, he's a total bust.
I have to agree with this. If Lewis, as is, is entering our 3rd line next year, we're screwed. The guy is barely suited for the 4th line at this point, and even that's a stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
The player comparison used for Trevor Lewis by Murray and Lombardi was Rod Brind'Amour. That is NOT a 3rd line center projection. They expected him to be a scoring 2nd line center. Fail.
That can't be true. I'm going to need to see a quote or a video because if they said that then... wow.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:10 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
I have to agree with this. If Lewis, as is, is entering our 3rd line next year, we're screwed. The guy is barely suited for the 4th line at this point, and even that's a stretch.

That can't be true. I'm going to need to see a quote or a video because if they said that then... wow.
I remember something along those lines being said about Lewis.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
The cup is ours!

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:30 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
http://archive.sltrib.com/article.ph...eyword=&qtype=
Quote:
Lewis impressed the Kings with his strong skating and mature game, particularly on defense, and team officials raved about his strong character and his potential as a team leader.

"If you know hockey, and you appreciate the defensive side as well as offense, he's going to stand out for you. He's a tremendous two-way player,'' said Murray, who added that Lewis compares favorably with Rod Brind'Amour, the captain of the Carolina Hurricanes.

"We've heard nothing but positives as far as his competitiveness, character and leadership skills,'' Murray said.
also:
https://twitter.com/#!/kingscast/sta...29087155159040

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:35 AM
Bandit

Jesus Christ...

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:46 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Jesus Christ...
There's a reason Murray and staff were wiped out after the 2006 draft...

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:38 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
The cup is ours!
The Kiddush Cup, sure.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote