HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings CHL and NCAA Prospect Update Thread II

Old
02-12-2012, 05:29 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
Ive spent a good amount of time watching Nick this season in person (8 games anyways) and while I like his gameI don't see him being an actual offencive talent. He is more of a utility type forward who skates well andis developing a smart two way game. May become a good player but not really an offencive talent.

Kitsyn has all of the skills to become a very good Power Forward in the NHL. Not a great one, but a good one. Given time in NA he could become a poor man's Franzen with more speed. I like his game allot but he is a ways away.

Kozun has brilliant hands and great heart but he is still learning how to put them together on a consisten basis. I don't know that he will but as he develops his grit could make him into a good 3rd liner who can pot 20.

Toffoli plays for the 67's, a team that I have a very solid and long history with and I have spent more time watching him play and practice then most any other prospect of ours over the past several years and I see his upside being a young Justin Williams but a better finisher type as the best comparison I can give.

Not exactly the same but close(ish).

I am not a scout but I do work for them from time to time in a pre-functary way. Nothing special but it keeps me around the game. I have explained it here before.

If I were a swiss army knife it would be one of the ones with the bone tooth pick that your dad gave you when you were a kid and has been sitting in a drawer for the past several years watching hockey.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:52 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
They're definitely offensive talents. I was thinking about them when I wrote that, too. Maybe I should have said "pure goal scorer" instead. He's the most boom or bust out of the ones you listed there.
I get that and yeah you're right Toffoli has the best shot and release of all of those guys as well as probably the best offensive instincts out of that group. I think Kitsyn might have a better "nose for the net" and be better there and I think all of Shore, Vey, and Kozun have better two way games but yeah I see your point as far as pure offense goes.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:00 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Is Toffoli a C or a RW?

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:54 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenKing18 View Post
Is Toffoli a C or a RW?
He's a RW. Toffoli and Kitsyn are really the only two true wing prospects the Kings have right now, almost all the others have spent some time at C at some point...

Old
02-13-2012, 11:05 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

BK is a wing too and has the goods.

Old
02-14-2012, 02:33 AM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

I wonder if Forbort will consider turning pro after UND's season.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 03:08 AM
Vino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Nick ... Kitsyn ... Kozun ... Toffoli
What about Michael Schumacher? He looked good against Phoenix rookies and his stats are surprisingly good. One year more in the OHL and then season or two in the AHL. He has more skills than King or Nolan, but I don't know is his attitude allright?

Vino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 07:39 AM
Moscowitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
He's been injured for part of the season so he has yet to take the next step in developing his game. Plus, I'm fairly certain that it is expected he'll play out his four years with the Sioux.

Moscowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:10 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
BK is a wing too and has the goods.
Forgot about him... I knew Weal and Vey had both switched between C and wing at times and just completely spaced BK...

Old
02-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Why would he? With a log jam in Manchester, I don't see the point of him turning pro. He still has a long ways to go and turning pro will not speed up that process IMO. He has more cooking time, not done yet, too rare.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:36 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino View Post
What about Michael Schumacher? He looked good against Phoenix rookies and his stats are surprisingly good. One year more in the OHL and then season or two in the AHL. He has more skills than King or Nolan, but I don't know is his attitude allright?
I have only seen him play in person twice this season so I don't have the book on him yet. I spoke to him once after practice and he seems to be the right kind of kid. He is a very very determined person and is allot like Kitsyn in his flat out drive to make it to the NHL. That seems to be one of the things Futa looks for more than anything. A sense of total desperation to make it to the NHL and win at that level.

He plays a hard nosed game has pretty good hands and is learning to use his size. Like I said after a total of two games watching him in person I still have allot to learn about him but if he puts it all together he might be a good one. I seem to keep forgetting him to my own fault. I have spend more time watching N Shore and Toffi this year then I should but I have put a ton of time into working on this years draft class.

Mostly players who project to rds 4-7 but I am starting to get the time in on our kids again.

Good point.

Old
02-15-2012, 04:00 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
Both Dowd & Gravel named to the WCHA All-Academic team.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Tadite

Can anyone give some thoughts on Chris Gibson? Guy's having a bit of a down year. Good player on team? Or something more worrying?

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:42 AM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

Forbort ranked 4th best college defenseman

Just saw this on Hockey's Future - Top 10 College Defensemen (actually 12 since three way tie for 10th place)

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...aa_defensemen/

Encouraging at least

Note:
Forbort drafted 1st round/15th overall
Next highest draft position of the 12 players ranked was 2nd round/34th overall

Another example of, as mentioned before by others, DL having the bad habit of over-rating his favorite players. Is this his fatal flaw?

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 01:11 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Forbort was drafted around where he was ranked, so it wasn't just a case of Lombardi going out and getting his guy (which was the case with Hickey).

BigBrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 03:47 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
Forbort was drafted around where he was ranked, so it wasn't just a case of Lombardi going out and getting his guy (which was the case with Hickey).
Exactly, wasn't Forbort rated ~10th in that draft and DL traded up when he started to fall? I remember him being slightly higher ranked than where the Kings took him at.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:39 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I have watched Forbort allot this season and several times in person (6 including a few practices) and he is improving. He is significantly better than last year and is becoming more mobile too. His smarts are starting to come around. I see him entering the NHL at the age of 24 or so but he cut that number down a little. He is a text book case of big guys taking longer to develop and mature. I still see him as a good 2nd pairing guy.

The guy that has me most excited this year is Kevin Gravel. He is in my opinion our smartest and most talented D prospect at what he does and that is playing very solid smart defencive hockey. His positional play is NHL caliber already and he plays with just the right amount of an edge. I like his game more every time I see him play and think that he will be a really good NHL dman when his number is called.

Weal really impressed me the two times I have seen him play this year too. He is maturing and is playing some unselfish hockey at a time when he could just be hogging all the glory. His character is exceptional and he is said to be one of the best team guys out there.

Old
02-18-2012, 02:04 PM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

Quote:
Point taken.

I hope he turns out to be as good, or better, than advertised. I've watched Gravel on TV a few times and he looks like a good skater, smooth with the puck and solid positionally.

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:32 PM
HockeyCA

Quote:
I have watched Forbort allot this season and several times in person (6 including a few practices) and he is improving. He is significantly better than last year and is becoming more mobile too. His smarts are starting to come around. I see him entering the NHL at the age of 24 or so but he cut that number down a little. He is a text book case of big guys taking longer to develop and mature. I still see him as a good 2nd pairing guy.

The guy that has me most excited this year is Kevin Gravel. He is in my opinion our smartest and most talented D prospect at what he does and that is playing very solid smart defencive hockey. His positional play is NHL caliber already and he plays with just the right amount of an edge. I like his game more every time I see him play and think that he will be a really good NHL dman when his number is called.

Weal really impressed me the two times I have seen him play this year too. He is maturing and is playing some unselfish hockey at a time when he could just be hogging all the glory. His character is exceptional and he is said to be one of the best team guys out there.

That is interesting.. because I have heard the exact opposite. I have heard that he is a cancer in the dressing room , and generally disfavored by teammates. Not to mention the guy has not won a single damn thing in his life (check out his teams record in junior hockey).. He was not given a tryout to team canada after putting up alot of points for a reason after all.

The short of it is quite simple. Weal is not good enough, will never be good enough, and fell in the draft for a reason. Come find me when the guy plays in one meaningful game instead of loading up points against the weakling teams of the Western Hockey League.

HockeyCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:07 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Not pretending to have any inside knowledge either way but it's hardly his fault for being the best player on a bad team now is it?

Old
02-18-2012, 06:15 PM
HockeyCA

Quote:
Not pretending to have any inside knowledge either way but it's hardly his fault for being the best player on a bad team now is it?

You know normally I would agree with this.. But when your team in consistently bad throughout your entire junior career, and a bulk of it was played with a player like Jordan Eberle (You know him?) then maybe its something else.. And that is hes just not a winner, no ifs, ands or buts about it. Ive seen my share of Western Hockey League games BTW (probably close to 200). Hes not a player we should bank on. He cherry picks his points on the weaker teams, and disappears against teams that are stronger. Hows that going to translate to the next level when everybody is a top level player? Let me clue you in, it wont. BTW, he has no foot speed, no compete level, and is choppy with the puck. Is that a guy you wanna bank on? We have MUCH better options already in the system. Toffoli, Kozun, Vey. Those guys will be NHL players. Weal will not.

HockeyCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:40 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Fair enough, I've never seen him play outside of some camp scrimmages so I'll have to believe the truth is somewhere in between yours and Tonellis' claims. He's already been signed to an entry level deal so he'll get his three years in Manchester no matter what. Judging by the amount of character and emphasis on hard work in Manchester he's either gonna wittle or come out strong. Either way, as a 5'9 prospect he's a long shot of ever becoming an NHLer no matter how you slice it.

edit: wait.. wittle is not the right word is it? whither? what's the word?

Old
02-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Sybil227

Quote:
edit: wait.. wittle is not the right word is it? whither? what's the word?
Wilt? Sasquatch?

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:24 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCA View Post
You know normally I would agree with this.. But when your team in consistently bad throughout your entire junior career, and a bulk of it was played with a player like Jordan Eberle (You know him?) then maybe its something else.. And that is hes just not a winner, no ifs, ands or buts about it. Ive seen my share of Western Hockey League games BTW (probably close to 200). Hes not a player we should bank on. He cherry picks his points on the weaker teams, and disappears against teams that are stronger. Hows that going to translate to the next level when everybody is a top level player? Let me clue you in, it wont. BTW, he has no foot speed, no compete level, and is choppy with the puck. Is that a guy you wanna bank on? We have MUCH better options already in the system. Toffoli, Kozun, Vey. Those guys will be NHL players. Weal will not.
I've no idea if you are correct or not but your criticism is very harsh. Based on your description he sounds like a slightly smaller Yannick Lehoux.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
Yep...

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote