HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

v18: Hornets win draft lottery, will pick 1st. Raptors will pick 8th.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-18-2012, 05:11 PM
  #76
Swervin81
No Honour for Connor
 
Swervin81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,067
vCash: 500
AI apparently filed for bankruptcy.

Swervin81 is online now  
Old
02-18-2012, 05:22 PM
  #77
Crispy Crust
Registered User
 
Crispy Crust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Land of 13 Cups
Posts: 15,373
vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic View Post
Bautista is an even better story, but the coverage and hype of it all wasn't even anywhere near the same as Lin, plus no one is questioning if Jeremy Lin is on PED's.

It's because he's in NY, it's a big deal. If he did the same thing in Toronto, people would be like, meh, who cares.

**** Lin, **** the New York Knicks and **** the hysteria.
Pretty much.

Crispy Crust is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 06:00 PM
  #78
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 62,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Tis' true. I don't mind Lin story, I think its great but people are really overrating him. He will likely be an above average point guard, maybe even a all-star at some point but anybody that think he is going to become a superstar or anything like that are crazy.
Steve Nash......that makes me laugh my ****ing ass off. Steve Nash? Really?? LOL!

Has Steve Nash even had 45 turnovers his entire career?


Jaysfanatic* is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 06:03 PM
  #79
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic View Post
Steve Nash......that makes me laugh my ****ing ass off. Steve Nash? Really?? LOL!

Has Steve Nash even had 45 turnovers his entire career?

Lin is a young point guard, he'll cut down on his number of turnovers. I wish we took a chance on him instead of rolling with Bayless and Carter as our backup point guards.

Eytinge is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 06:06 PM
  #80
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 62,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Lin is a young point guard, he'll cut down on his number of turnovers. I wish we took a chance on him instead of rolling with Bayless and Carter as our backup point guards.
They tried. Carter for Lin was a rumored deal. They even worked out with Lin at one point. Sometimes it happens.

And will his turnovers go down? Or will he himself go down? It's a good story, sure, but to have articles like "he's turning around the economy" and "his game winner in Toronto ranks amongst the top five best sports moments in Toronto"


Jaysfanatic* is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 06:35 PM
  #81
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic View Post
They tried. Carter for Lin was a rumored deal. They even worked out with Lin at one point. Sometimes it happens.

And will his turnovers go down? Or will he himself go down? It's a good story, sure, but to have articles like "he's turning around the economy" and "his game winner in Toronto ranks amongst the top five best sports moments in Toronto"

Jeremy Lin almost ushered in world peace. Unfortunately, his plan was thwarted by LeBron James.

__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 06:36 PM
  #82
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 62,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Jeremy Lin almost ushered in world peace. Unfortunately, his plan was thwarted by LeBron James.
Peace? Nooooo Peaceeeeeee.

Jaysfanatic* is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 08:09 PM
  #83
cloak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic View Post
Bautista is an even better story, but the coverage and hype of it all wasn't even anywhere near the same as Lin, plus no one is questioning if Jeremy Lin is on PED's.

It's because he's in NY, it's a big deal. If he did the same thing in Toronto, people would be like, meh, who cares.

**** Lin, **** the New York Knicks and **** the hysteria.
i like lin but i think your assessment is sound. the media is completely cannibalizing the story and eventually there will be zero substance (already very little).

indeed bautista is a more remarkable story, a man who came out of nowhere, dominated for a year, then proceeded to dominate again in the face of huge pressure and naysayers claiming his one hit wonder status.

lin has been around for 2 weeks lol.

cloak is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 09:54 PM
  #84
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 62,898
vCash: 500
To be honest, I have nothing against Lin. Good for him, it's cool. I'm just not going to sit here and be told how amazing it is when I've seen better and seen it brushed under the table.

Jaysfanatic* is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 10:06 PM
  #85
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic View Post
To be honest, I have nothing against Lin. Good for him, it's cool. I'm just not going to sit here and be told how amazing it is when I've seen better and seen it brushed under the table.
the very now-focused, instant gratification media is the age we live in, unfortunately.

Earlier this week I saw something in the media wondering if it was too early to declare Blake Griffin the greatest dunker of all time.

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 10:17 PM
  #86
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 62,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
the very now-focused, instant gratification media is the age we live in, unfortunately.

Earlier this week I saw something in the media wondering if it was too early to declare Blake Griffin the greatest dunker of all time.
Yeah, but no one in the US gave a **** about how Baustanding Jose was and ****ing Lin goes seven games ad he's given rockstar status.

And he certainly isn't being looked at as a cheater. Bautista was given steroids and helped by the man in white. They did everything they could to discredit him.

Jaysfanatic* is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 10:23 PM
  #87
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic View Post
Yeah, but no one in the US gave a **** about how Baustanding Jose was and ****ing Lin goes seven games ad he's given rockstar status.

And he certainly isn't being looked at as a cheater. Bautista was given steroids and helped by the man in white. They did everything they could to discredit him.
Don't forget how he corked his bat.

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 10:27 PM
  #88
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 62,898
vCash: 500
Yeah, exactly. That's why I'm sick and tired of Lin.

Jaysfanatic* is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 10:35 PM
  #89
Crispy Crust
Registered User
 
Crispy Crust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Land of 13 Cups
Posts: 15,373
vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic View Post
Yeah, exactly. That's why I'm sick and tired of Lin.
The guy has like 500 turnovers after 8 games right?

Crispy Crust is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 10:39 PM
  #90
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 62,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
The guy has like 500 turnovers after 8 games right?
45 in 7 starts. 8 per game.

Jaysfanatic* is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 10:50 PM
  #91
IBLeaf*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oakville, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,378
vCash: 500
The Toronto Star compared Lin's game winning shot against the Raptors to Joe Carter's World Series clinching HR, and Dougie's playoff performance in '93.

Brutal.

IBLeaf* is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 11:21 PM
  #92
ktf
Registered User
 
ktf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 560
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ktf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic View Post
Peace? Nooooo Peaceeeeeee.
haha that moment from independence day traumatised 8 or 9 year old me for a few years...
and ya top 5 biggest sports moments in Toronto is a pretty ridiculous comparison... game winning shot in the middle of a lock out shortened NBA season against a pretty bad Toronto Raptors team should not be compared to a world series winning homerun or for that matter pretty much any stanley cup winning game in Toronto history. I've followed the raptors for a long time and have seen more than enough opposition winners at the end. Too much hype. I love the story of it, but like with so many things the media is just going to take it over the top and create as much Lin hate as love. I can already feel it growing in me lol

ktf is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 11:32 PM
  #93
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,105
vCash: 500
I'm kinda bored right now so I was looking at the upcoming draft and Bradley Beal looks like a really intriguing pick. He is projected to be a top 10 pick and he is just 17 years old right now. Plays a shooting guard position and listed at 6'4 and roughly 205 lbs. Not the ideal shooting guard size but it should be good enough. But from what I've read, he is an excellent shooter from mid and long range and has smooth mechanics. He is good coming off screens and spotting up and despite his size, he is a good defender with a high IQ and a good enough passer. His comparison have been Ray Allen which is absolutely fantastic. He isn't a great ballhandler though and doesn't have that quick 1st step (not really a tremendous athlete in general but good enough).

Could be a really good pick if you're comfortable with DeMar at 3.

EDIT: Lamb looks a bit similar but seems to be a much better athlete. 6'5 but he's got a thin frame (doesn't get to free throw line enough due to his frame) and there are some questions about his decision making but he could be another great pick. Should go in the top 5.

EDIT: Marshall is a 6'4 PG who is a pure passer and probably the best one in College. Nice size for a PG, good leadership, high IQ, ball handling and passing abilities but he is poor at scoring whether that's around the rim or shooting. Doesn't have great quickness either. He should go around the 15 mark. If you trust he can overcome his scoring deficiencies, this is a great pick.


Last edited by Nasty Nazem: 02-18-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
02-18-2012, 11:43 PM
  #94
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 62,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktf View Post
haha that moment from independence day traumatised 8 or 9 year old me for a few years...
and ya top 5 biggest sports moments in Toronto is a pretty ridiculous comparison... game winning shot in the middle of a lock out shortened NBA season against a pretty bad Toronto Raptors team should not be compared to a world series winning homerun or for that matter pretty much any stanley cup winning game in Toronto history. I've followed the raptors for a long time and have seen more than enough opposition winners at the end. Too much hype. I love the story of it, but like with so many things the media is just going to take it over the top and create as much Lin hate as love. I can already feel it growing in me lol
You and me both, pal. I watch the scene even now and I get a bit jumpy hahahaha.

Jaysfanatic* is offline  
Old
02-19-2012, 01:11 AM
  #95
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED
 
Giuseppe Sallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oakville, Ontario.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,517
vCash: 500
If Lin fall from the top does happen, he can always go back to Harvard. LOL.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline  
Old
02-19-2012, 01:39 AM
  #96
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
 
LolungoReboundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brampton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic View Post
Steve Nash......that makes me laugh my ****ing ass off. Steve Nash? Really?? LOL!

Has Steve Nash even had 45 turnovers his entire career?

lol I won't take the side that he could be "Steve Nash" because Nash has always been one of my most admired NBA stars of all time but straight from tsn:

SCOUTING REPORT
Assets One of the NBA's greatest-ever on-court leaders: makes everyone he plays with better. Has uncanny vision, anticipation, ball-handling, and passing skills. Arguably the league's most accurate perimeter & free-throw shooter ever.

Flaws Commits huge turnover totals. More quick than he is fast. Can be posted up on defense and doesn't steal the ball as much as he could / should (although he does a great job taking charges).
Career potential Superstar point guard & future Hall of Famer.

LolungoReboundo is offline  
Old
02-19-2012, 01:42 AM
  #97
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
 
LolungoReboundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brampton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
the very now-focused, instant gratification media is the age we live in, unfortunately.

Earlier this week I saw something in the media wondering if it was too early to declare Blake Griffin the greatest dunker of all time.
I think that title goes to one of MJ, Dr. J, Wilkins or my personal favorite VINSANITY

LolungoReboundo is offline  
Old
02-19-2012, 02:07 AM
  #98
jaems
Registered User
 
jaems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic View Post
Yeah, but no one in the US gave a **** about how Baustanding Jose was and ****ing Lin goes seven games ad he's given rockstar status.
I agree that him breaking out in Toronto is different than if he had done so on an American team. It's not just Bautista. Carter and Bosh probably sold a lot more jerseys and got a lot more attention on ESPN after leaving the Raptors. Thankfully, VC had his best moments (imo) in a Raptors uniform.

That said, there are additional variables.

In baseball, development takes much longer and it can be hard to peg a lot of the players who become big, hence why I think the draft gets a lot less coverage/energy than the NBA.

In the NBA, it's extremely rare to have a guy who is undrafted or drafted late turn into a superstar (I say this cautiously as it's only been a few games). Look at the list of top tier talent in basketball who weren't drafted in the top 20 and compare it with say hockey where you have guys like Thomas/Robitaille/Lidstrom/MSL/Weber/Kaberle (as examples) who develop into top tier players.

Plus he's Asian. Since his run, many stories in New York have questioned whether or not scouts/teams subconsciously had a bias against him of his race as he's received nothing but praise from previous coaches and scouts who studied his play and statistics. I mean it's one thing if he's not as athletic/talented as other players and a terrible work ethic, but he has high basketball IQ AND actively improves his game in the offseason while trying to provide a strong team-first mentality. Asian-American's are typically not in any of the top four major sports in North America. Bautista is Dominican, who have a much deeper history in MLB compared to Asians in the NBA, so I'd say it's much more surprising.

jaems is offline  
Old
02-19-2012, 04:22 PM
  #99
Crispy Crust
Registered User
 
Crispy Crust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Land of 13 Cups
Posts: 15,373
vCash: 570



Crispy Crust is offline  
Old
02-19-2012, 04:28 PM
  #100
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 62,898
vCash: 500
Well, he had another stellar game today. Congrats.

Jaysfanatic* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.