HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mentally is where the Sabres lack

Old
02-18-2012, 02:00 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Mentally is where the Sabres lack

Quote:
Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) -- The problem with this Sabres team really isn’t talent. To me it is 80% mental toughness. The toughness that when you play a good period on the road and lead 2-0, you don’t totally go to pieces just because the home team scores a goal in the first minutes of the second. It’s the leadership where guys who are in the core group stand up and say, “Calm down, we’ve got this. We’re still ahead 2-1. Let’s stay the course and we’ll leave with two points.” Instead, for the past three or four years two and three goal leads just evaporate and turn what should be a sure two points into one or no points.

Last night in Philadelphia wasn’t just something that happens now and then, it’s a trend. It’s this team’s identity, it’s who they are.

Now if you take that idea into the locker room, you’ll get different answers.
Quote:
When you lead 2-0 after one and play the next 40 minutes and lose 7-2, mental toughness has to be questioned. Pominville said, “It was a good first period, we played really well. I think we had a real tough start to the second period. I don’t know if it’s mental toughness, they got momentum, they scored on a power play, we took a penalty we shouldn’t have taken that led to 4-on-4 play then they scored on their power play again.” The captain added, “It’s a tough question, mental toughness! We go out there and play and try to play hard. I think a lot of it is focus, I don’t know if it has anything to do with toughness. Your focus has to be on what you have to do.”

Derek Roy picked up his first assist in 16 games last night. He thinks mental toughness is a part of it. “Yes, especially when you’re in another building and you’re up two goals and they score a goal, you just have to go out there and keep making plays. You can’t stray away from the game plan either. You have to mentally be focused and know what you have to do there on the ice and keep working hard. It doesn’t matter how loud the crowd gets or what happens during the game, you’ve got to be mentally tough and go out there and do a job.”
http://wgr550.com/Mentally-is-where-...-lack/12308312

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:33 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Yes they lack in Mental Toughness, however I think the lack of grit and size is what hurts them the most. These guys just seem to lose alot of puck battles.. Either way they suck and probably won't make the playoffs..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:46 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Perfect reason to change the culture around this team.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:41 AM
Luceni

they actually lack a good coach. It wouldn't hurt to get rid of darcy too.

I'm sick of Ruffs hilarious ideas (playing ellis with ennis and vanek) and unfair player punishments (benching vanek for a weak penalty call, while stafford, roy, boyes Leino) szck all year. And I hate a lot of contracts on the team ( Stafford, Leino, Boyes)

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:54 AM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 436
Jeez Roy sure is a team cancer.

Connor McDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:07 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
Jeez Roy sure is a team cancer.
Yeah, he's willing this team to victories this season with how hard he plays.... wait, what? he has 1 ****ing assist in the last 16 games? Ya dont say... Oh yeah, thats right, He's a loser and most definitely a cancer and needs to GTF off this team yesterday.

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:39 AM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

By that logic nearly every forward on this team is a cancer.

Old
02-18-2012, 07:54 AM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
By that logic nearly every forward on this team is a cancer.
Your logic is just as sound. Roy isn't a team cancer because he said they have to keep making plays and stay mentally tough? Have you watched him at all this year? Is he mentally tough? Is he making plays? How about he does something on the ice to show he actually gives a ****. He and 3/4 of the team are just going through the motions game after game. He absolutely is a cancer and sometimes cancer spreads. Get him out of here!

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
The problem starts with the guy setting the tone. When there is a complacent quitter as GM, the rot is through to the core.

02-18-2012, 10:49 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The problem starts with the guy setting the tone. When there is a complacent quitter as GM, the rot is through to the core.
I always get the feeling when I hear Darcy talk. It's almost always about why something is important, but then that something is "very difficult" to get done. He said it last night when he said he would have wanted to make a trade earlier in the season, but it's tough. It's tough to find "difference makers." It's tough, it's tough, it's tough.

Please don't let Lindy off the hook. Lindy is the "it's tough to score in this league," "it's tough to win on the road in this league," "it's tough to get to the net in this league," "it's tough to win in back to back games" guy.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:16 AM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
That's a very valid point chain and the saddest part is he'll almost certainly be back again next year. Which means the true rebuild this team needs won't happen for at least another year.

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:57 PM
ShaPow

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
I always get the feeling when I hear Darcy talk. It's almost always about why something is important, but then that something is "very difficult" to get done. He said it last night when he said he would have wanted to make a trade earlier in the season, but it's tough. It's tough to find "difference makers." It's tough, it's tough, it's tough.

Please don't let Lindy off the hook. Lindy is the "it's tough to score in this league," "it's tough to win on the road in this league," "it's tough to get to the net in this league," "it's tough to win in back to back games" guy.

Both of you have simply nailed it.

The fish stinks from the head. These two set the tone for the entire organization. Of course we're at where we're at.

The question is this: Will Pegula insert foot in mouth, and make a 180 degree turn on his head coach and general manager in less than a calander year?

ShaPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:59 PM
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by is the answer jesus View Post
That's a very valid point chain and the saddest part is he'll almost certainly be back again next year. Which means the true rebuild this team needs won't happen for at least another year.
If that is the case, there is only one thing we can do(and maybe the most painful for a Sabre fan): Turn your backs on the team and refuse to support them in ANY way, shape or form. If the Sabres have quit on the fans, show them you too have quit on them. When they see the lack of money coming in to 1 Knox Plaza, MAYBE they'll come to their senses and make the moves necessary to get the fanbase back. Until then, the only thing I can do to show my displeasure is the Stone Cold Salute(both middle fingers raised high and proud). Believe me, I have more options at my disposal to sate my hockey fix in WNY than watching a bunch of gutless wonders tick every one of us off...

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:03 PM
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaPow View Post

The fish stinks from the head. These two set the tone for the entire organization. Of course we're at where we're at.

The question is this: Will Pegula insert foot in mouth, and make a 180 degree turn on his head coach and general manager in less than a calander year?
My response is: Yes, IF-and only if-he takes the fan blinders off and puts the businessman hat on and do what needs to be done. Otherwise, Pegs may very well be looking at a much leaner cash flow coming in from fans who are tired of getting very little enjoyment for the money they're putting into the Sabre organization.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

Quote:
Your logic is just as sound. Roy isn't a team cancer because he said they have to keep making plays and stay mentally tough? Have you watched him at all this year? Is he mentally tough? Is he making plays? How about he does something on the ice to show he actually gives a ****. He and 3/4 of the team are just going through the motions game after game. He absolutely is a cancer and sometimes cancer spreads. Get him out of here!
If you think Roy doesn't make an effort there's not much for us to discuss. I'm just basing my opinion off of what's available to us, namely his interaction with the media.

Old
02-18-2012, 02:58 PM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Quote:
If you think Roy doesn't make an effort there's not much for us to discuss. I'm just basing my opinion off of what's available to us, namely his interaction with the media.
You honestly think Roy is giving his all out there? Seriously??? He hasn't gone into a dirty area in 3 months for fear of being hit. How bout how ****ing slow he skates to the bench during a line change while the play is going on? Or how hes checking out the hot guys in the front row instead of picking up his man in the slot multiple times a game? Dude could care less and I am so surprised he still has any fans left at this point.

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
You honestly think Roy is giving his all out there? Seriously??? He hasn't gone into a dirty area in 3 months for fear of being hit. How bout how ****ing slow he skates to the bench during a line change while the play is going on? Or how hes checking out the hot guys in the front row instead of picking up his man in the slot multiple times a game? Dude could care less and I am so surprised he still has any fans left at this point.
I'm no Roy apologist. I want to make it clear that I don't think this team needs more players like him. But that doesn't mean he's the toxic weak link in this rusted and broken chain. He may play scared (as often as practically any other forward), but anecdotal "****ing slow" isn't enough to point to him as the player you seem to think he is.

I'm not even touching the gay comment. **** off on that account.

Old
02-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
I'm no Roy apologist. I want to make it clear that I don't think this team needs more players like him. But that doesn't mean he's the toxic weak link in this rusted and broken chain. He may play scared (as often as practically any other forward), but anecdotal "****ing slow" isn't enough to point to him as the player you seem to think he is.

I'm not even touching the gay comment. **** off on that account.

I'll fess up, I'm the hot guy Roy's been checking out. Sorry for distracting him guys, I'll choose a seat in the upper bowl next time.

On a serious note, I just think there needs to be a serious in management. The whole thing has gone rotten and there needs to be a huge change. Start off fresh. Should've happened last year, but whatever...

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:21 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Meh, I saw it more a slam against Roy being more aware of his image and social standard than a slam against his sexual preference. But FSE saw it as he wanted to.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

It's tiring to see it as a dig, but beyond that it's lazy.

Old
02-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
You might be taken more seriously if you avoid the hyperbole.

"He hasn't gone into a dirty area in 3 months for fear of being hit" ..

Guess you missed the game last night.

"How bout how ****ing slow he skates to the bench during a line change while the play is going on?"

Guess you miss 90% of NHL'ers doing the same damn thing.

Everyone of your complaints against Roy can be seen in just about every player on this team.

Your "anger" doesn't make you a better fan than anyone else. Some people just like to keep things in perspective. Just because some don't get wrapped up in the "hate" doesn't mean they are at all pleased with certain players performance or perceive the teams struggles being attributed to one or two players.

This team sucks as a collective.

Last edited by Beerz: 02-18-2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: I wanted to
Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post

There is enough evidence out there, some right from Regier's mouth and some from other places that point to Darcy not even trying to sign certain players at times because he thought they wouldn't sign here. That's not trying -- that's quitting. That's self-defeatist. That's the tone set from the top and it's rotten.

Quote:
I hope like hell he's gone. He's shown after over a full year of Pegula Bucks that he is incapable of altering his long-entrenched habits. They've hired ONE scout. ONE. In a year? ****ing pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaPow View Post

They were given resources and backing and have failed badly. The right business decision here would be removing them from their positions and finding new, capable people to take on the job and deliver on ownership's mandate. Give 'em a big severance check and a gold watch and a boot up the ass. Happens in business every day... without the check or the watch nowadays.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:10 PM
LucilleAustero

Tell us something we don't know. This team has lacked mental toughness long before this season.

LucilleAustero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Der Jaeger

I take notice of word choice.

Pominville: "we"

Roy: "you've"

I read it that way for a while. I think it gives insight into where both those player's heads are. For me, it shows that Pominville is part of the greater whole, that's playing bad. I'm not sure of it clicks with Roy that he's part of the problem.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:40 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Well-said, Chain

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote