HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeremy Lin forces TWC/MSG to come to an agreement

Old
02-17-2012, 09:29 PM
gluvhand

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
All the people who switched to Fios/DirectTV should hope that TWC didn't give MSG the moon and the stars because sometime in the next year or so their contract will end too.
But at least a value has been set. Dolan will pretty much have to take what he's getting from TWC. And I don't see Verizon getting into the same pissing match with MSG after what it took to get MSGHD.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
But at least a value has been set. Dolan will pretty much have to take what he's getting from TWC. And I don't see Verizon getting into the same pissing match with MSG after what it took to get MSGHD.
What you say is logical, but greed rarely is. I have no doubt that MSG will push Verizon as far as they can.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:26 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
MSG is back on my TWC .....no sound though. but it is a start. good thing i am almost done with Skyrim.
You are never done with Skyrim.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:49 AM
Canjo
AVA

I'm going to miss having the NHL network, but I'm happy to have the rangers back

Canjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Rykerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canjo View Post
I'm going to miss having the NHL network, but I'm happy to have the rangers back
You should still get NHL network, I get it on channel 458. Check it out. Someone posted earlier that it was there all along and TWC just moved it to the MSG slot during the dispute to trick customers into thinking they were giving them an extra channel. But apparently we already get that channel. CH. 458! HA, what slimeballs!

Rykerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykerman View Post
You should still get NHL network, I get it on channel 458. Check it out. Someone posted earlier that it was there all along and TWC just moved it to the MSG slot during the dispute to trick customers into thinking they were giving them an extra channel. But apparently we already get that channel. CH. 458! HA, what slimeballs!
468 for hd

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
468 for hd

If there's one blessing from this whole debacle, it's that I discovered how great NHL Network is.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:20 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

I'm trying to use remote DVD but it's still showing NBA network.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykerman View Post
From what I know it's not a free channel--normally it's part of a sports package (called "sports pass") that costs $5-6 a month. TWC opened up those channels with a free preview when when MSG pulled itself from them (and is continuing the free preview until the end of the month). NHL network is part of the Center Ice package though, so people who have CI get it during the season.

Old
02-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 1092
Quote:
From what I know it's not a free channel--normally it's part of a sports package (called "sports pass") that costs $5-6 a month. TWC opened up those channels with a free preview when when MSG pulled itself from them (and is continuing the free preview until the end of the month). NHL network is part of the Center Ice package though, so people who have CI get it during the season.
I have center ice and I didnt get NHLN until this whole MSG/TWC thing

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1SHOP View Post
I have center ice and I didnt get NHLN until this whole MSG/TWC thing
I'm in Brooklyn and I've always had access to it during the season (I get center ice)--I lose access to it in May as soon as CI disappears.

Old
02-22-2012, 12:12 AM
BenedictGomez
1st 2say Fire DeBoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Or translated into business speak...

Being that TWC will have ZERO interest in signing any contract with us come 60 days from now (after the NBA and NHL seasons end) we realize that every day we fail to offer better terms makes it less likely we will receive any income from them for at least 7 months.
THIS. MSG knew that their "mafia extortion tactics" failed, and Linsanity (which is F-ing annoying) was their best chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion Boy View Post
Ironic that the Rangers best season in a LONG time means nothing, but the hot rookie start of an obscure Knick stimulates negotiation.
It pizzes me off.

The Lin story is largely media-manufactured nonsense, and the Knicks are still a crappy <.500 team. If this Lin kid played in Memphis, Houston, New Orleans, Oklahoma City or a zillion other NBA towns, nobody would have heard about him.

Quote:
I thought MSG pulled the plug? Guess that's just the ******* owner of MSG and the Rangers using one entity to pump up the other. Really an insulting email if you asked me.
They did. But Dolan thinks sports fans are absolute morons and pawns that arent smart enough to figure out what really transpired.

Quote:
The end of the impasse will be announced Friday afternoon by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo and executives of both companies.
I loathe politicians.

Quote:
From what I know it's not a free channel--normally it's part of a sports package (called "sports pass") that costs $5-6 a month. TWC opened up those channels with a free preview when when MSG pulled itself from them (and is continuing the free preview until the end of the month).
Correct. The people who are claiming that they "always" got NHL Network either pay for the Sports Tier, or one of the TWC packages that includes the sports tier.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
They did. But Dolan thinks sports fans are absolute morons and pawns that arent smart enough to figure out what really transpired.
Unfortunately dolan is spot on with this.

Most people in general are too stupid to figure out what really happened.

Old
02-23-2012, 08:44 AM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
Unfortunately dolan is spot on with this.

Most people in general are too stupid to figure out what really happened.
So what did happen?

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
So what did happen?
More or less both MSG and TWC drawing their lines in the sand and refusing to negotiate in good faith.

versus MSG's side where they basically gave no facts and just told people to switch, and TWC's side where they're claiming MSG is pulling the network and using skewed numbers that don't tell the full truth to make MSG look bad.

In reality TWC offered to keep MSG on the air while negotiating, and they would pay the new agreed upon rate once it's reached for that time, and MSG would not agree to that. At that point neither side wanted to budge.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:34 PM
JayQueensNY88*

TWC can go **** themselves!!!!!!!! They held out and didnt care about the fans..Glad i switched to Fios its cheaper and way better.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:42 AM
RUSF18

Sorry for the bump...

So as a TWC subscriber I was forced to sweat out this situation as it was coming up, then had to deal with not getting to watch the Rangers, and finally got them back.

Just found out yesterday that FIOS is being installed in my building starting this weekend. I am 1000% making the switch because I hate TWC and their service with a passion. But does anyone know if Verizon and MSG could face something similar soon?

RUSF18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSF18 View Post
Sorry for the bump...

So as a TWC subscriber I was forced to sweat out this situation as it was coming up, then had to deal with not getting to watch the Rangers, and finally got them back.

Just found out yesterday that FIOS is being installed in my building starting this weekend. I am 1000% making the switch because I hate TWC and their service with a passion. But does anyone know if Verizon and MSG could face something similar soon?
Neither Verizon nor MSG will tell you when their contract expires--but it appears that the they are working through a contract signed a number of years ago, so it is very possible the same thing will happen once their contract expires.

And it's not Verizon is any different--it's a large soul-less corportation that is only interested in increasing profits for its shareholders. They care exactly as much as TWC does about their customers.

Old
03-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Crease

While this thread is bumped...

Any other TWC Manhattan customers no longer have access to NHL Network now that MSG is back on? It's part of a Tier II sports package for 5.99 a month.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:36 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
While this thread is bumped...

Any other TWC Manhattan customers no longer have access to NHL Network now that MSG is back on? It's part of a Tier II sports package for 5.99 a month.
NHL Network was always part of the Sports Package which includes GOL TV and Fox Soccer Plus. I am surprised that so many people just found out that NHL Network was available on TWC.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote