HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Michel Goulet what could have been?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2006, 10:52 AM
  #1
Russian_fanatic
Registered User
 
Russian_fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,638
vCash: 500
Michel Goulet what could have been?

This guy IMO was one of the most explosive goal scorers the league has ever seen, but injuries really side tracked his career. It just wasn't that Goulet was also CLUTCH. If he could have stayed healthy how many goals would he have had in your honest opinion? Where would he have been ranked all time?

Russian_fanatic is offline  
Old
01-19-2006, 11:03 AM
  #2
PurpleShamrock
Registered User
 
PurpleShamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New England
Country: United States
Posts: 2,620
vCash: 500
Well, as it is, the guy managed to score 548 goals (to go along with 604 assists for a grand total of 1152 points). I may also point out that in the early 80's, he finished with some pretty impressive +/- numbers while playing for those run-and-gun Nordiques teams whose defensive deficiencies were the stuff of legend. As a fan of an Adams division rival, I was always impressed with his game. But even while he was in his prime, I never thought he quite received the accolades he truly deserved. I guess he was just overshadowed by the Stastny brothers.

PurpleShamrock is offline  
Old
01-19-2006, 11:10 AM
  #3
Snap Wilson
Registered User
 
Snap Wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
This guy IMO was one of the most explosive goal scorers the league has ever seen, but injuries really side tracked his career. It just wasn't that Goulet was also CLUTCH. If he could have stayed healthy how many goals would he have had in your honest opinion? Where would he have been ranked all time?
Well, if you're going to make allowances for his health, than also make allowances for the boost he got playing in the run-and-gun 80s. Give some, take some away.

Snap Wilson is offline  
Old
01-19-2006, 11:11 AM
  #4
God Bless Canada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bentley reunion
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,792
vCash: 500
Goulet was probably the best LW in the NHL in the 1980s. From 1982-1988, he never dipped below 42 goals or 84 points, and he averaged over 51 goals and over 100 points. There are very few players who can claim to have averaged at that pace for an extended period of time. Yes, he benefitted from playing with one of the best playmaking centres in the history of the sport, and from playing on a dynamic, razzle-dazzle team. (They probably would have made it to at least one Cup final if they had a goalie). He scored some big goals, too, especially in the Nords' only run to the Conference Final in 1985. He's not a top 50 all-time player, but he is likely one of the top 10 or 12 LWs ever, in terms of talent and actual performance, and deserving of his place in the HHOF.

God Bless Canada is offline  
Old
01-19-2006, 03:56 PM
  #5
19nazzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 17,194
vCash: 500
Goooooooooulet would lose. He always does.

19nazzy is offline  
Old
01-19-2006, 04:09 PM
  #6
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,351
vCash: 500
What I wouldn't do to hear GOOOOOOOO-let again. Just an all time great player, a first class person and one of my favorite players ever. The best thing about Goulet was that his game was so much more than stats. He was actually pretty gritty and tough in his own way. He would battle for loose pucks, dig along the boards and play in traffic. He had a role players work ethic. I remember his numbers dipping a bit when he found out that he had a heart problem and I also remember the ugly way he ended his career. Does anyone know if the Av's retired his number?

#66 is offline  
Old
01-19-2006, 05:05 PM
  #7
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,478
vCash: 500
I dont think Goulet would have played much longer after his '94 injury. He already had his name cemented into the HOF by '90. He was still good in his Chicago playing days but he probably wouldnt have hit 600 goals, or much more. But hey was there any mroe than 5 guys that you would trust on a breakaway other than Goulet? Man the guy was money in the bank!

Big Phil is offline  
Old
01-19-2006, 07:37 PM
  #8
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 30,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66
What I wouldn't do to hear GOOOOOOOO-let again. Just an all time great player, a first class person and one of my favorite players ever. The best thing about Goulet was that his game was so much more than stats. He was actually pretty gritty and tough in his own way. He would battle for loose pucks, dig along the boards and play in traffic. He had a role players work ethic. I remember his numbers dipping a bit when he found out that he had a heart problem and I also remember the ugly way he ended his career. Does anyone know if the Av's retired his number?
His number was retired in Quebec after the move.

Quote:
Hey, Adrian. I don't seem to remember any Avalanche players ever wearing No. 16. Is that out of respect for Michel Goulet? The Nordiques also retired Nos. 3 and 8, but obviously those numbers continue to be used by Avalanche players.
-- Todd Buttram, Flagstaff, Ariz.

Todd - Actually, Warren Rychel wore No. 16 for the Avalanche in his first go-around with the team. The number is retired in Quebec - which is easy when there is no team anymore - but not technically with the Avalanche.

Hasbro is online now  
Old
01-19-2006, 10:19 PM
  #9
chooch*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
The magic disappeared overnight for Goulet; I remember early in the year in 1988 he wasnt the same player as the end of the previous one. The tricky moves and speed were entirely gone. Very very sudden and weird. He was a defensive player; a Bob Gainey type for the last 5-6 years of his career.

Somebody said he had a heart problem discovered - when was this?

chooch* is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 08:46 AM
  #10
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch
The magic disappeared overnight for Goulet; I remember early in the year in 1988 he wasnt the same player as the end of the previous one. The tricky moves and speed were entirely gone. Very very sudden and weird. He was a defensive player; a Bob Gainey type for the last 5-6 years of his career.

Somebody said he had a heart problem discovered - when was this?
He had a rapid heartbeat and had the problem taken care of in 1990. IMO his game changed when Dale Hunter was traded from Quebec. I also remember that he looked very good with a rookie Sundin for a short while before going to the Hawks.

Thanks for the info Hasbro.

#66 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.