HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#58|Feb. 18, 2012|Penguins at Flyers| (Part 2)

Old
02-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Damaged Goods

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Am I the only one that thought the defensemen weren't bad this game and that this is the probably the first game we've seen in a long time that both goalies **** the bed basically on their own?
I hope so. Allowing a Matt Cooke breakaway on a 5-on-3 (which also should have been a penalty shot had he not scored) is absolutely pathetic.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:36 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
I hope so. Allowing a Matt Cooke breakaway on a 5-on-3 (which also should have been a penalty shot had he not scored) is absolutely pathetic.
An unpredictable bouncing puck from somewhat of a hard pass to Kimmo is a hard thing ignore that led up to the goal. Timonen even hooked his ass and Cooke still got it right through the incredible leaky Bryz.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Tim Tebow

Look at things the John Stevens way, well Bryz let in some easy goals but he did make a few saves... Well we lost but we did score 4 goals... Well we gave up a couple of shorthanded goals but Timonen had good emotion...

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
An unpredictable bouncing puck from somewhat of a hard pass to Kimmo is a hard thing ignore that led up to the goal. Timonen even hooked his ass and Cooke still got it right through the incredible leaky Bryz.
Which is why it would have been a penalty shot if not for the goal.

This was just minutes away from another shorthanded breakaway goal by Staal.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
to be fair to Kimmo, after the pass went bad Cooke already had at least a stride on Kimmo.. if not 2..

there was basicly no chance for him to catch him to the inside at that point.

but still the damage was done. and of course Bryz allowing the goal just sealed the deal, haah

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:57 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
to be fair to Kimmo, after the pass went bad Cooke already had at least a stride on Kimmo.. if not 2..

there was basicly no chance for him to catch him to the inside at that point.

but still the damage was done. and of course Bryz allowing the goal just sealed the deal, haah
Timonen didn't look good on that breakaway, there's no way around that. A Timonen on his game wouldn't have even allowed the breakaway to happen.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:03 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1476
http://www.kuklaskorner.com/

Quote:
NEW YORK (February 18, 2012)—Pittsburgh Penguins forward Jordan Staal has been fined $2,500, the maximum allowed under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, for boarding Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Braydon Coburn during NHL Game No. 865 Saturday afternoon in Philadelphia, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:20 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
It's kind of infuriating that a major wasn't called on that play.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:28 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
It's kind of infuriating that a major wasn't called on that play.
At one point during the game, Chris Therien castigated Auger and I'm fairly certain this incident, though not the primary factor, was definitely a motivating cause. He, Therien, mentioned that players do not respect Auger. The ref has a track record spanning but not limited to an incident with Shane Doan and others.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:30 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Timonen didn't look good on that breakaway, there's no way around that. A Timonen on his game wouldn't have even allowed the breakaway to happen.
The Cooke breakaway was all on Giroux. Made a terrible and dumb decision, just like he did on the Staal goal.

Both goalies sucked.

It was Giroux's worst game of the year.

Timonen wasn't good either, although the Cooke goal wasn't his fault. The 4th goal was all on Kimmo

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:41 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
The Cooke breakaway was all on Giroux. Made a terrible and dumb decision, just like he did on the Staal goal.

Both goalies sucked.

It was Giroux's worst game of the year.

Timonen wasn't good either, although the Cooke goal wasn't his fault. The 4th goal was all on Kimmo
Not saying that I put all the blame on Timonen on the Cooke goal. As you mention, Giroux has to shoulder most of the blame, and Bryzgalov definitely should do better than he did... but Timonen usually plays those situations a lot better.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:46 PM
kicksave27

Kimmo has 1 bad game, and some people are actually talking about trading him, really? Guys have bad games, but kimmo's norm is above average.

If your goalie craps the bed consistently, it's really really not good for anyone playing infront of him. And yeah, they are going to try to circle the wagons and say they support the guy, but at some point, something has to be done. A bad game from bryz is different than a bad game from bob. Bob is 1. the backup, 2. has a grand total of 1.5 years in the league. Bryz is supposed to be the stopper, the veteran who has it figured out and doesn't loose you games. I'd be like the the first year halladay comes to phillies and goes 10-10 with an era of 5 or something.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

1st goal was tough
3rd was a breakaway.

The second goal could've been stopped by a pee-wee goalie.
He just effing missed the catch.

What a meltdown today

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:01 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
At one point during the game, Chris Therien castigated Auger and I'm fairly certain this incident, though not the primary factor, was definitely a motivating cause. He, Therien, mentioned that players do not respect Auger. The ref has a track record spanning but not limited to an incident with Shane Doan and others.
Interesting. I was out at a bar and didn't get the audio for the game, but that definitely would have been something to hear. I'm not too familiar with Auger's track record, but I have to imagine calls like that one won't look good in the player's eyes. That was about as dangerous and blatant as it gets.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:44 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

So, didn't get a chance to watch the game, turned on the computer to see the highlights, and hear about Kubina and, maybe, Nash?

Never a dull, drama-free day in Flyerland.

Now to watch the game....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:22 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Why are ppl mad at JVR for his comment? He was 100% right. "HEY I PAY TO WATCH THIS TEAM" Who cares? It's not like if he was actually letting goals get in for fun, he does try to save them, and booing him is just gonna make him lose his confidence and become even worse, that will also make him mad at the fans, and pissed. Bryzgalov was becoming better in the lasts 7-8 games, but that doesn't count : he let in 2 softies - boo him. Classless idiotic fans. If we start doing things like this, we're gonna screw up this man's chance to actually shine with us, players won't want to sign here (just like some players don't want to go to Mtl because of the fans/medias), etc.

And it WON'T help him.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:47 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Not saying that I put all the blame on Timonen on the Cooke goal. As you mention, Giroux has to shoulder most of the blame, and Bryzgalov definitely should do better than he did... but Timonen usually plays those situations a lot better.
Kimmo had been out there on nearly a two minute shift, plus he had to turn and go while Cooke was fresher, and already moving in that direction.

Only thing Kimmo could have done was to do a better job hooking Cooke. That likely leads to a penalty shot though, and probably a goal anyway.

Blame on that goal goes

Giroux
Bryz
Kimmo

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:31 AM
PJStock*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Why are ppl mad at JVR for his comment? He was 100% right. "HEY I PAY TO WATCH THIS TEAM" Who cares? It's not like if he was actually letting goals get in for fun, he does try to save them, and booing him is just gonna make him lose his confidence and become even worse, that will also make him mad at the fans, and pissed. Bryzgalov was becoming better in the lasts 7-8 games, but that doesn't count : he let in 2 softies - boo him. Classless idiotic fans. If we start doing things like this, we're gonna screw up this man's chance to actually shine with us, players won't want to sign here (just like some players don't want to go to Mtl because of the fans/medias), etc.

And it WON'T help him.
I really think this road trip will benefit both sides. Bryz can focus on hockey, while the fans aren't there to torment him. The entire team can focus, in fact. Probably will do wonders for his confidence. I'd rather see this team finish in the 6th seed at this point, rather than face the Pens or Devils in the first round, and battle for home ice advantage... they are horrid at home anyway.

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:46 AM
BillDineen

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/f...om-concussion/

Can anyone tell me who the reporter is around 1:06 that asked JVR about holding out longer ahead of the trade deadline please? What an idiot.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:05 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
Not sure if sarcastic or you hate me :-P
I don't hate anyone here.

I agree with what you said.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

i didn't see the game, so i can't comment on it overall, but from what i can gather, it wasn't a good day in the nets:

Bryz:
beaten glove side
flubbed a glove save from long range
bang-bang shot from a player squeezed between blocker and body

MAF:
beaten glove side
beaten glove side
hung out

Bob:
fumbled shot at the logo / rebound banged in
poor foot positioning on a shot from below the red line & Pele'd it into the net
poor rebound, beaten high from the goal line

apparently the Flyers came out flat in the 3rd: inexcusable
apparently Kimmo was brutal

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 02-20-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
i didn't see the game, so i can't comment on it overall, but from what i can gather, it wasn't a good day in the nets:

Bryz:
beaten glove side

MAF:
beaten glove side
beaten glove side
hung out

Bob:
flubbed a shot from below the red line & Pele'd it into the net

kinda.. basicly the Flyers had all the momentum at several points in the first 2 periods but Bryz kept giving it away..

then for whateva reason the Flyers decided to stay in the dressing room for the 3rd period and dress some beer leaguers to finish out the game..

completly NO compete from them at all in the 3rd period.. it was awful to watch. they couldnt wait for the clock to run down.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:59 PM
BernieParent

Quote:

Bryz:
beaten glove side

MAF:
beaten glove side
beaten glove side
hung out

Bob:
flubbed a shot from below the red line & Pele'd it into the net

Let's break these down a bit more.

GOAL 1 (Bryz): Beaten blocker side on poor positioning; Bryz cheating towards other Penguin forward on a 2-on-1.

GOAL 2 (Bryz): Like you said.

GOAL 3 (Bryz): Cooke partial breakaway. I don't know what you mean by "bang-bang", but positioning and puck-tracking were lazy as Cooke was a) being hampered by Timonen and b) fighting a bouncing puck.

GOAL 4 (Bob): Like you said.

GOAL 5 (Bob): I'm not as upset at Bob about this one as others. The puck went quick from one Penguin around behind the net to the other side and Dupuis one-timed it at the net. It's not like Bob was lazy in hugging the post; he was caught moving side to side.

GOAL 6 (Bob): The goal was all about poor rebound control, and Bob was in no position for a very good second shot at a bad angle by Neal.

As for the goals against Fleury, the first was a bit of a copy of Bryz's first goal, in that he may have been able to cover the short side better, but it was Jagr taking the shot and he had all the time in the world to release from just inside the circle. The second goal was a sniper's goal that blew the water bottle off the top of the net. Third was all on Engelland blowing a tire right in front of him; any attempt to equate this with the same "bang-bang" description as the Cooke goal is just silly. The fourth was good puck movement by Simmonds, where the Penguins D seemed to have gone to sleep. "Hung out" is a good description.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:

Bryz:
beaten glove side

MAF:
beaten glove side
beaten glove side
hung out

Bob:
poor foot positioning on a shot from below the red line & Pele'd it into the net

Finally finished watching the game last night.

All of the above are correct.

Kimmo was bad on SH breakaway play, but it was a bad pass. Still, you back up your stick with your skate, or use your hand to avoid those kinds of things.

Kimmo's worst shift as a Flyer was at the start of the 3rd period. Tied 3-3 and needing a good start, he fumbled the puck around like a college UFA amateur signee and gave them a goal. Really sad to see. People talk about Kimmo like he's a star, well Lidstrom never screws up like that.

The whole game turned on the terrible failure to give Jordan Staal a 5 minute boarding major and game misconduct. Unforgiveable by the refs, who sucked generally.

The other egregious call was the play in which Hartnell got crosschecked into a shot and nearly hurt, and Simmonds skated by Fleury and didn't touch him.

Even the homer Pens announcers were mystified by that turn of events. Instead of a 5 on 3, it was 4 on 4. They also said Staal got away with one that should have been a major. I was shocked at their candour. At least Shanny fined him, so the next time it happens, probably soon, he'll be a repeat offender.

My lasting impression of that game is that Engelland, Orpik and several other Pens took cheap shots at Giroux's head. As far as I'm concerned, if Crosby ever comes back, Lavy should just put Rinaldo on the ice every shift until he goes out again. Those sc^mb@gs deserve no quarter.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:09 AM
MASE THE ACE

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=617649

i feel he deserved to bigger penalty

MASE THE ACE is offline   Reply With Quote