HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ducks 2, Devils 3 (F/SO)

Old
02-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Capt Brycey Poo
Holik to HHOF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrad View Post
It's brutal that out of the top 5 teams in the east points-wise, 4 are in the atlantic division.
It really grinds my gears that due to this conference alignment we cant be 2nd in conference even if we had 50 points more than best of SE or NE if Rags are 1st (or any other ATL team). So retarded.

Capt Brycey Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:29 PM
EliasFTW

Do people even read? i wasn't complaining about the shootout win. 2 points is 2 points. With the skill we have we should have more OT wins. Makes me feel like come playoffs we dont have the clutch players we will need to go far.

EliasFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliasFTW View Post
Do people even read? i wasn't complaining about the shootout win. 2 points is 2 points. With the skill we have we should have more OT wins. Makes me feel like come playoffs we dont have the clutch players we will need to go far.
No. the playoffs are a whole different ball game. This regular season OT is 5 minutes and it's 4 on 4. It's nothing like the continuous OT in the playoffs. I trust that with our depth (a full, healthy squad) we will be able to pull out wins in playoff OTs.

Basement Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:09 PM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
No. the playoffs are a whole different ball game. This regular season OT is 5 minutes and it's 4 on 4. It's nothing like the continuous OT in the playoffs. I trust that with our depth (a full, healthy squad) we will be able to pull out wins in playoff OTs.
They also play on ****** ice in the regular season. I am really looking forward to this team if Zajac can come back healthy. A great defensive C that can put up 60+ points.

tycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:28 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliasFTW View Post

Overtime is 5 minutes long. It's not like we're going three sudden death periods without potting a goal.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Hell Zeon*
Captain Kovalchuk******

It's amazing how great our offense is. Kovalchuk is a top 5 player in the league currently, along with Parise who is in the top 15. Elias is in the top 20. Henrique is the best rookie this year. Ponikarovsky is a guy who can score 60 points, Clarkson is on pace for 25-30 goals, Zajac is easily a 60-70 point guy with an amazing defensive skill set. Zubrus too is great defensively and can make any line gell together.

Then you look at our defense, which is just atrocious. Easily the top 10 worst defenses of the league. First, the players have no offensive skill set at all. Salavdor, Volchenkov, Tallinder, and current version of Greene don't get anything about offense. Fayne isn't that good at offense, and his sneaky shot is not something that would warrant a good skill set. Foster can't do anything 5 on 5, and Tao/Larsson are good but are way too inexperienced for the NHL to create much offensively.

But even defensively the defense is atrocious. Tallinder/Volchenkov don't get the concept of clearing the puck. It's amazing to me that they can be really good at some defensive parts of the game but fail at one of the most simplest things in the world, clearing the puck! Salvador is good at everything involving defense, but to expect the guy to start a rush or any offense is just a joke. Foster- don't let me comment on this guy. It's absolutely embarrassing that he plays in the NHL as a "defenseman". Fayne is OK, but he will never be better then a #5/#6 D-man. Larsson is our only hope, but he's a freaking rookie. Tao isn't that good defensively, he makes bad errors sometimes.

The entire game I was watching the team's defense make mistake after mistake. The offense simply had to match every mistake and play better. That won't win you a cup. I hope Lou gets Zidlicky and 1 more D-man who knows how to play defense well and can START A RUSH. That's all I ask, doesn't need to have a booming shot or anything like that. Needs to play defense, and start a rush. Zidlicky can score the points.

Basically, the offense is too good for the defense to be that bad. I really don't mind trading good players on our roster to get a good defensive addition. Thus I wouldn't mind trading Clarkson and Josefson. Not because they are bad players, but they are guys that this team can survive without that actually have value.

Hell Zeon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:33 PM
apice3*

I find it incredible that even some Devils fans fail to realize that of the 17 times this game has gone past regulation, the Devils have performed better than their opponent in the sudden death period in about 14 of those games.

Most of the time, the shootout just saves us the trouble of battling for another 15 minutes.

Old
02-18-2012, 03:34 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Did a hockey team win in a shootout this evening?

Yes.

Who?

New Jersey.

Then it is not fair.

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Nick0930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrad View Post
It's brutal that out of the top 5 teams in the east points-wise, 4 are in the atlantic division.
Very close to having the top 4 in the East points-wise in the Atlantic division too. Crazy.

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:00 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I find it incredible that even some Devils fans fail to realize that of the 17 times this game has gone past regulation, the Devils have performed better than their opponent in the sudden death period in about 14 of those games.

Most of the time, the shootout just saves us the trouble of battling for another 15 minutes.
Based on what, shots on goal? Big whoop, that isn't always an indicator of who played better especially when it's a 1 or 2 shot difference.

Again 4-on-4 has no bearing on 5-on-5 regardless.

NJDevs26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Based on what, shots on goal? Big whoop, that isn't always an indicator of who played better especially when it's a 1 or 2 shot difference.

QFT, this is a very good point.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Nick0930

If the Devils play 5-on-5 OT like they do in the 3rd period of most games...uh oh.

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:35 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

I really wish OT was longer.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:48 PM
theking72
Confucius Ackbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boring Trap View Post
I really wish OT was longer.
OT should end with a line brawl. Winner gets the extra point. Kovy will lead the league in OT KOs

theking72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Zeon View Post
It's amazing how great our offense is...

Then you look at our defense, which is just atrocious. Easily the top 10 worst defenses of the league. First, the players have no offensive skill set at all.
Friendly challenge here.

Though some of your post is irrefutable, I'll simply suggest that in order for that great "offense" to succeed, the "atrocious" defense needs to first take care of its own end and/or the neutral zone...and get the biscuit to them, to go to work.

Putting aside special teams, that is how every team works. And to put "offense" and "defense" into two totally separate silos is both misleading and, respectfully, misguided.

Again, the observations you make have merit. But I have also observed an NJD D corp that gets the puck to the forwards much more effectively than over the last two seasons, though still lacking a 5 on 5 point accumulator or puck rushing dman (the latter of which is extremely rare in today's NHL). Unless NJD acquires Brian Campbell, a suddenly healthy Mike Green, Dan Boyle or the like at the deadline, this will remain.

Simply, if NJD's D corp was as bad as some claim, the forward's shiny point totals would not be what they are. For, unlike football, both "squads" on are the ice at the same time, and by definition need to work in tandem in order to succeed. To be certain, it lacks an experienced bonafide impact top-pair guy. and recent Cup history would suggest that you cannot win the Cup without that element (Chara, Keith, Gonchar, Lidstrom, Pronger/Niedermayer, 2011-07). But it has been more than servicable this season.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:43 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post

Then why are some panicking over our overtime goalscoring ability?

Old
02-18-2012, 05:43 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Zeon View Post
It's amazing how great our offense is. Kovalchuk is a top 5 player in the league currently, along with Parise who is in the top 15. Elias is in the top 20. Henrique is the best rookie this year. Ponikarovsky is a guy who can score 60 points, Clarkson is on pace for 25-30 goals, Zajac is easily a 60-70 point guy with an amazing defensive skill set. Zubrus too is great defensively and can make any line gell together.

Then you look at our defense, which is just atrocious. Easily the top 10 worst defenses of the league. First, the players have no offensive skill set at all. Salavdor, Volchenkov, Tallinder, and current version of Greene don't get anything about offense. Fayne isn't that good at offense, and his sneaky shot is not something that would warrant a good skill set. Foster can't do anything 5 on 5, and Tao/Larsson are good but are way too inexperienced for the NHL to create much offensively.

But even defensively the defense is atrocious. Tallinder/Volchenkov don't get the concept of clearing the puck. It's amazing to me that they can be really good at some defensive parts of the game but fail at one of the most simplest things in the world, clearing the puck! Salvador is good at everything involving defense, but to expect the guy to start a rush or any offense is just a joke. Foster- don't let me comment on this guy. It's absolutely embarrassing that he plays in the NHL as a "defenseman". Fayne is OK, but he will never be better then a #5/#6 D-man. Larsson is our only hope, but he's a freaking rookie. Tao isn't that good defensively, he makes bad errors sometimes.

The entire game I was watching the team's defense make mistake after mistake. The offense simply had to match every mistake and play better. That won't win you a cup. I hope Lou gets Zidlicky and 1 more D-man who knows how to play defense well and can START A RUSH. That's all I ask, doesn't need to have a booming shot or anything like that. Needs to play defense, and start a rush. Zidlicky can score the points.

Basically, the offense is too good for the defense to be that bad. I really don't mind trading good players on our roster to get a good defensive addition. Thus I wouldn't mind trading Clarkson and Josefson. Not because they are bad players, but they are guys that this team can survive without that actually have value.
Welcome back!!!

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
If the Devils play 5-on-5 OT like they do in the 3rd period of most games...uh oh.
I'm really not worried. Playing a tied game in OT is very different from protecting a lead in the third.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:31 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Zachy Poo View Post
Waited the entire day to watch this on my sisters ipad and then the stream didnt work. Thank god we won, though. Almost clicked out after Perry scored in OT and then noticed, there was a lot of time left in the clip and decided to watch till the end of it. Good job, dont blow leads like that, though.
You mean "Getzlaf"...

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:36 AM
Capt Brycey Poo
Holik to HHOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
You mean "Getzlaf"...
Oh, was it Getzlaf? I thought it was Perry, didnt bother to double check. Perry - Getzlaf - Ryan , who the **** cares Its either Selänne or the #1 line that scores.

Capt Brycey Poo is offline   Reply With Quote