HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers are interested in Nash (McKenzie: Rangers/Kings Strongest Suitors) PART II

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2012, 07:54 AM
dethomas07

vCash: 500
After thinking long and hard...better safe then sorry just growing and developing our youth..if you look at detroit they're all home grown players, and thats their secret to their success... We should stay the course with our guys, because in reality we're only going to get better year after year...Big things are ahead...just stay the course... Earlier this week i was all for Nash but looking at detroit and their success over the years is remarkable...

Old
02-19-2012, 07:59 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
What have you won?
He's won the debate regarding how idiotic it would be to trade for Nash.

Old
02-19-2012, 08:03 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Its buyer beware. Teams should have an idea by June where the NHL is willing to set the cap in the new CBA. Why wouldn't it go down if the players accept less %? Unless both sides agree to the status quo like the NBA did but LeBrun wrote a few days ago NHL expect the cap will decrease in the new CBA. He wrote teams will need an internal cap.

Old
02-19-2012, 08:03 AM
TomLaidlaw

Don't touch this team! This team isn't built for a one year run. Most of their young core players are just entering their primes.

Does anyone here really think adding Nash at a (7.8 cap hit) is a good idea? We have our two big UFA splashes in Richards and Gaborik. The rest of the team is mostly comprised of homegrown kids who all buy into Torts philosophy. We are the best team in the NHL. We have a great mix of talent, toughness and chemistry that we shouldn't mess with.

Old
02-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Every time a 'big fish' is available, you guys get your panties in a bunch. If this was a cap-less league, I'm still not sure I'd pull the trigger. I love Nash, he's a big power-forward who can put the puck in the net. I'm not about to give up a plethora of assets to obtain him though, especially when you factor in the obvious. We need the cap-space to retain numerous guys who's contributions are ultimately superior than what Nash will bring to the table.

Old
02-19-2012, 08:05 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The players will accept less. The cap will remain status quo for next season and remain at that level for the early part of the CBA like the NBA. Or it will decrease like the NFL cap did

Old
02-19-2012, 08:08 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Don't touch this team! This team isn't built for a one year run. Most of their young core players are just entering their primes.

Does anyone here really think adding Nash at a (7.8 cap hit) is a good idea? We have our two big UFA splashes in Richards and Gaborik. The rest of the team is mostly comprised of homegrown kids who all buy into Torts philosophy. We are the best team in the NHL. We have a great mix of talent, toughness and chemistry that we shouldn't mess with.
Schoenfeld said in an interview that the Rangers believed they needed two more "elite" pieces to complete this team, (or something to that effect.) They went out and got Richards, so, if Schoenfeld is to be believed, they still need one more elite player. And, that's why they should be investigating what the cost of Nash would be.

Old
02-19-2012, 08:13 AM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
He's won the debate regarding how idiotic it would be to trade for Nash.
No he hasn't. If not "we should only trade for previous cup winners" is the winning argument.

That being said, I still don't think NYR wanna pay what Colombus want. Nor should they. But the discussion is if he's an upgrade or not and to me he is, without a doubt. Even if he "haven't won anything". Just a lame argument.

If he's belived to be the missing piece in the team that take us all the way, then you pay what it takes, if not, pass. Winning is everything.

Last edited by Sticky Fingers: 02-19-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old
02-19-2012, 08:13 AM
TomLaidlaw

I find myself in a perpetual state of fear that Sather will go off the deep end and forget why this team is the best team in the league and revert back to his Dark Ages mentality.

Old
02-19-2012, 08:16 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Schoenfeld said in an interview that the Rangers believed they needed two more "elite" pieces to complete this team, (or something to that effect.) They went out and got Richards, so, if Schoenfeld is to be believed, they still need one more elite player. And, that's why they should be investigating what the cost of Nash would be.
Elite additions don't always have to be brought in. You can have someone internally raise their game to an elite level. In my opinion Girardi and McD are both playing at an elite level this year.

Old
02-19-2012, 08:31 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I think it was Inferno who proposed a deal in here. I'm willing to do something along the lines of AA OR Dubi(prefer Duby), Sauer, McIlrath, First and other draft pciks will be involved...OR something like Dubi, Thomas, MZA, McIlrath 1st and 3rd -- around those lines.
Thats a **** package.

I respect the opinion of people who want Nash on this team even though his contract is an albatross now and going forward.

But the pipedream of acquiring him without giving up Kreider and/or one of our current top 4 defenseman is not even worth thinking about.

Why even make a longwinded argument for Nash and then live in fantasyland when it comes to what it'd take to actually get him?

Old
02-19-2012, 08:35 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Gaborik comes off the books in 2 years. Parise is a UFA this coming offseason. Del Zotto is a RFA this coming offseason.

If you don't move any contracts and just sign Parise it's far worse then moving contracts in a a trade for Nash.
If you can keep your top guns like Kreider while be able to land Nash you do it. Just my opinion. Also, instead having 2 playoff runs with Parise, Richards, and Gaborik with a Nash trade you can have 3 playoff runs with Richy and Gaborik. Then if you wish when Gabbys contract expires you can let him walk.

I see far more pro's than con's as long as you don't give up too many good pieces for Nash.
It's the complete opposite of the first bold. Strictly signing Parise would be better in ever way shape and form.
A) Parise is just as good maybe better
B) His contract will be cheaper (It's already a win) and shorter
C) We keep the pieces like Dubs, Kreider, Erixon, picks, etc so the overall team stays better.
D) If you feel a guy like Dubs doesn't fit or his contract is just overpaid now then you trade Dubs in this draft or during the season at some point for another player and prospects or to move up in the draft, etc. With Dubs and Wolski gone there's your money for Parise. (7+ mil) and no harm is done to our chances of resigning our guys. Point is if resigning our guys is difficult with parise signed we can get a trade going for Dubs very easily but we will also have lost contracts like Drury and Wolski what is that 5 or 6 mil? 9 or 10 if you trade Dubs. If it came down to trading for Nash or signing Parise signing Parise is by FAR the better move AINEC. For me if we sign parise I have zero problem with trading Dubs or Dubs and some picks to move up in this draft for some great talent or to pick up a package of prospects and picks...the biggest reason would be of course to free cap to resign our better guys.

I don't understand how giving up important players for a larger contract AND lesser player is the better move IF we were comparing Parise signing vs Nash trading.

Good pieces will have to go for Nash I don't understand why they wouldn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Why even make a longwinded argument for Nash and then live in fantasyland when it comes to what it'd take to actually get him?

Last edited by JimmyStart*: 02-19-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old
02-19-2012, 08:45 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Elite additions don't always have to be brought in. You can have someone internally raise their game to an elite level. In my opinion Girardi and McD are both playing at an elite level this year.
No, you're right they don't, but, based upon previous statements from the organization, (namely Schoenfeld), that is apparently the gameplan.

Old
02-19-2012, 08:48 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Nash may be paid like an elite player, but he doesn't perform like one.

Old
02-19-2012, 08:55 AM
bubba5

Nash does not make players around him better. He has not been able to do it in 7 years.

Old
02-19-2012, 08:55 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohf View Post
So by your logic I guess you don't want Parise neither, since he haven't won anything. It really cuts down the list.

I'm not all in for getting Nash, but it's not like he's been having a real shot at "winning anything" in Colombus? And mather of fact is that he could help us win something. He most likely would be an improvement. Then again, it comes with a price.
Parise hasn't won anything, but 30 out of 30 GM's take Parise -- injured knee and all -- over Nash.

This isn't even a debate.

I never said I didn't want Nash simply because he hasn't won anything. It just gives me another reason not to want him playing for the team I root for. Since winning the Richard, he hasnt won anything. Sorry for saying 10 instead of 8.

Old
02-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

We are going to see how bad Nash wants to come to NY tonight (or lack of how bad he wants to come to NY).

He will probably have his best game of the season tonight and be a complete beast out there. We should watch Carter as well and see if he tries to impress the Rangers brass also.

Old
02-19-2012, 08:57 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Realistically there are very few players in this league that are worth 7++mil per year, and Rick Nash is not one of them!

Old
02-19-2012, 08:59 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I have gotten 0 hints or indications that the Rangers are interested in Carter, which is disappointing.

Nash is clearly outside our price range. Columbus wants guys 20-22 years old to build with Johansen and Yakupov. That is why they are giving the Flyers a go with guys like JVR, Couturier, and Schenn as the main attractions. We're not gonna give up Stepan, MDZ, McDonagh, ect.

02-19-2012, 08:59 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Im 50/50 on the whole Nash thing. If we can get him by ripping off the Jackets, im all for it. But I don't like that argument that he doesnt make players around him better and I dont like the lack of point numbers argument as well, why because I don't think he has ever played with anyone who wasn't better then an average 2nd liner in his career.

I'd love to be proven wrong but has the guy ever had even a borderline 1st line player or good 2nd liner, not counting the Olympics where he shined?

Old
02-19-2012, 09:04 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I have gotten 0 hints or indications that the Rangers are interested in Carter, which is disappointing.

Nash is clearly outside our price range. Columbus wants guys 20-22 years old to build with Johansen and Yakupov. That is why they are giving the Flyers a go with guys like JVR, Couturier, and Schenn as the main attractions. We're not gonna give up Stepan, MDZ, McDonagh, ect.

But, when has Sather ever telegraphed his motives?

Old
02-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Dorado*

Quote:
I find myself in a perpetual state of fear that Sather will go off the deep end and forget why this team is the best team in the league and revert back to his Dark Ages mentality.
I love th direction the team is going but to keep saying this is the best team in the league is ludicrous .
Record aside there are a whole lot holes in the 2012 NYR and until the post season is over and the NYR at least make it past a few rounds of playoffs I'd avoid saying " best " for anything .
NYR are headed in a good direction but using their own mantra of one game at a time I'd say teams like DET, BOS , and Van who have been able to get beyond one round of playoffs the last few years are more apt to be called best .

Old
02-19-2012, 09:10 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Nash does not make players around him better. He has not been able to do it in 7 years.
Same can be said for Hossa, he's a complimentary player and a very good one. Nash makes a good team better, not many players make bad teams good.

Old
02-19-2012, 09:11 AM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Nash may be paid like an elite player, but he doesn't perform like one.
Bingo! Just because he has the skill set to be one, doesn't mean that he is. He as gotten a free pass because of his mixture of talent and size, but just look at his numbers, he is a first line player sure, but he is far from elite.

Old
02-19-2012, 09:11 AM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post

maybe they are talking about Carter...rumors are rumors...look at this past summer the rumors were richards was going to get near the max he could get per yr...which was apparently not true...and carter seems like a torts guy...i think he'd fit in better cost less and be a better option to fit the makeup of the rangers team than nash would

Closed Thread