HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Could the Flyers be interested in Nash?

Old
02-19-2012, 03:37 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

vCash: 500
I would love to have nash on this team if his cap hit was 2 million cheaper. Hell, even if it was Briere's cap hit. but 8 million is just far too much money for a 30 goal scorer.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:57 AM
UKFlyers

Never a dull moment with the Flyers. I missed yesterday's game, and all of a sudden, we have Kubina and we're looking serious about Nash! I'm really not sure about this one. 8mil cap hit? I don't think we're that desperate offensively to give up those numbers.

Send Nash and a 1st to Nashville, Carle, Bryz and JVR to CBJ and Weber and Mason to Philly since we're getting silly. I'm just kidding

UKFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 07:29 AM
ONTHEFLYGUY

Never going too happen, fun too dream and play gm though

ONTHEFLYGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:19 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy View Post
Anyone think there is a possible Mason for Bob swap? Maybe with some other pieces thrown in? Both have had their struggles, though Mason's have been going on a few years now. He did win a Calder and was a 2nd team all-star in his rookie year.
No thank you on Mason. Mason has progressively gotten worse after his rookie season.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:28 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
No thank you on Mason. Mason has progressively gotten worse after his rookie season.
The assumption, I think, is that he would have to come if Bryz went, for salary reasons and so that we had the backup. He hasn't been good, but perhaps a change of scenery helps. Regardless, he's only signed through next year, and he could be buried in the minors if he's that bad, unlike Bryz.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Kaktus*

Maybe it is still possible? Carle, Bryzgalov JVR for Nash and a goalie.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:56 AM
UKFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTHEFLYGUY View Post
Never going too happen, fun too dream and play gm though
Yeah I know. It's definitely an NHL 12 trade

UKFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Prongo
Beer

I want Nash. If you can get him for JVR, BOB and a defense man like Carle or Mez. One of them would have to go back because the cap situation. Now if Bryz is thrown in and would waive his no trade, that would be the greatest trade by homer

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:19 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Maybe it is still possible? Carle, Bryzgalov JVR for Nash and a goalie.
And Columbus could easily flip Carle for another 1st rounder.

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Kutter

Jackets fan here (in peace). Interesting hearing the reaction around the league regarding the Nash rumors and it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

One major thing to keep in mind about Nash is that he has essentially played with No One in Columbus. Some of his seasons were with Manny Malholtra as the #1 center...ouch. There was hope that Brassard would be the play making center but Brassard's own development has been erratic. Howson brought in Carter to play with Nash, but without a dedicated play maker on the lines, it didn't work (big surprise there...). Ryan Johanson may one day be the center for Nash, but that is still likely a couple years away. BTW, Johanson and Schenn were amazing when they played together for Canada in the WJC.

When Nash by himself is very good, dominant at times, but when you put him with elite players such as in the Olympics or World Championships, he is a beast. He can play both ends of the ice well, thanks to Hitch. He's a great penalty killers due to his reach and anticipation, but Scott Arniel refused to play him on the PK. Now Arniel is back in Winnipeg looking for a job... Nash is a big body who can lean on defensemen during the game and wear them down. He has a great attitude and would fit into any locker room with ease. He'd be a natural in a Flyer's jersey, and playing with someone like Giroux I would expect him to be right back to the 50 goal mark.

That being said, Howson is playing a dangerous game trying to move him. Nash IS the face of the Blue Jackets and one of the few players the fans really relate to. Howson's mismanagement of the team has led to this situation, but trading Nash will likely result is a lot of casual fans not coming back to Nationwide Arena for a while. Nash is involved deeply in the community, rides the annual 100 mile "Pelotonia" cycling cancer fund raiser (along with Umberger), and acts as a great ambassador for the city.

If it weren't for his cap hit, the team that Nash would make the most sense going to is Vancouver. Their lack of muscle cost them the Cup last year and I don't see things being any different this year when it comes down to crunch time. The can't play Luongo and Schneider at the same time, so trading a goalie and a prospect like Hodgson for Nash would be a great deal both ways.

As for Steve Mason, the Flyer's were interested in him a couple of years ago. At that time it was still thought that he was going to return to his rookie form and be a dominant goalie in this league. Howson brought in Luongo's goaltending coach last off-season and thought this was turn Mason around. Bad gamble, Mason has been worse than ever and the players have zero confidence in him. You can see the whole team sag as soon as Mason lets one in. When career backup/minor league goalie Sanford plays, it like a whole different team is on the ice (Sanford is currently out with a back injury). Mason will need to try and get his game back in the minors or overseas. He's done in the NHL for now.

Enjoyed watching your boys on 24/7 this year and I catch a lot of games on Center Ice. Looks like Jake has fit in well and Sestito hasn't look bad when he has played (a lot of CBJ fans were sorry to see him go, another one of Howson's strange decisions.). Good luck with those pesky Rangers.

Kutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:59 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Andrew Raycroft 2.0

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Tim Tebow

I have a feeling everyone is just making stuff up now. The latest article I saw suggested the Flyers might more Hartnell, JVR, and Couturier for Nash. Link

None of this makes sense and seems made up to me.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:05 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
I have a feeling everyone is just making stuff up now. The latest article I saw suggested the Flyers might more Hartnell, JVR, and Couturier for Nash. Link

None of this makes sense and seems made up to me.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:16 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

By going and getting Nash--and giving up let's say three players who are on relatively good contracts (or ELCs) and a pick--the Flyers would be reversing everything they did last summer. The whole point of trading Richards and Carter, we've been told, was to make our team more flexible in terms of salaries, etc, and getting Nash would be destroying it.

The only way I'd trade for Nash is if another big salary like Briere or Bryz's went the other way. It's the only thing that makes sense. Anything else is stupid.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:19 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I'd honestly be pissed if Couturier was traded.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:29 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I'd honestly be pissed if Couturier was traded.
same here but i doubt it because homer likes couturier, the more likely trade possiblity is jvr, bob and picks, maybe a first round, that's a better trade hopefully it will be carle in there too.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Icedog2735

Nash has always been my favorite non-Flyer but as people have been saying here another big contract (Briere, Bryz) has to go the other way. I would also like Mason back in the deal with us ideally giving up Bryz. At this point something else needs to be tried in net. I wouldn't do the deal if it included Couts or Schenn however. One thing to keep in mind is the fact that next season will be played under a new CBA. No idea what will happen but general consensus is that player salaries will be reduced and if it is an overall percentage roll back as it was last time, that makes Nash's cap number a little bit easier to swallow. But then again the salary cap overall goes down so who knows what will happen. Plus we need room to sign Ryan Suter in the summer!

Icedog2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:05 PM
silver surfer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
By going and getting Nash--and giving up let's say three players who are on relatively good contracts (or ELCs) and a pick--the Flyers would be reversing everything they did last summer. The whole point of trading Richards and Carter, we've been told, was to make our team more flexible in terms of salaries, etc, and getting Nash would be destroying it.

The only way I'd trade for Nash is if another big salary like Briere or Bryz's went the other way. It's the only thing that makes sense. Anything else is stupid.
Exactly. And putting yourself in the Blue Jackets shoes, Briere or Bryz wouldn't fit with they're trying to do. I don't think there's much truth to these rumors and I'll be glad when Nash goes elsewhere or the deadline is over...

silver surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:15 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutter View Post
One major thing to keep in mind about Nash is that he has essentially played with No One in Columbus.
That is really my concern about Nash coming here (besides cost and cap hit) is that even playing with someone such as Giroux he might still not be able to produce the way he should be since so many players have tried and failed to work with him. Hopes would be that a deeper team like the Flyers gives him more skilled players to work with, but the last thing we want is to overpay for an overpaid player to have them underachieve regardless of his actual talent level.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
That is really my concern about Nash coming here (besides cost and cap hit) is that even playing with someone such as Giroux he might still not be able to produce the way he should be since so many players have tried and failed to work with him. Hopes would be that a deeper team like the Flyers gives him more skilled players to work with, but the last thing we want is to overpay for an overpaid player to have them underachieve regardless of his actual talent level.

The other factor is that if Nash needs Giroux to perform at an elite level, then how valuable is he really? Right now we have Scott Hartnell and his $4.2 M cap hit playing at a 40/40 level on Claude Giroux's wing. That's right people, Scott Hartnell is putting up a "Rick Nash season" playing with Claude Giroux. So how much excess value is there in adding Rick Nash to Giroux's wing at a $7.8 M cap hit? Not enough to lose one of our best assets in Schenn or JVR or Couturier, etc.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:06 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
The other factor is that if Nash needs Giroux to perform at an elite level, then how valuable is he really? Right now we have Scott Hartnell and his $4.2 M cap hit playing at a 40/40 level on Claude Giroux's wing. That's right people, Scott Hartnell is putting up a "Rick Nash season" playing with Claude Giroux. So how much excess value is there in adding Rick Nash to Giroux's wing at a $7.8 M cap hit? Not enough to lose one of our best assets in Schenn or JVR or Couturier, etc.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: The only one of those three I'd trade is JVR. I'd only trade JVR for Nash if Bryz was included. Otherwise, **** it.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:12 PM
JABEE

Al Morganti was just saying on 610 WIP that he thought they were close yesterday. He said Scott Howson and Craig Patrick don't hold long meetings like that for nothing. I guess we'll see.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Crashbangboom

We should just flip a third round pick for Samuel Pahlsson.

Crashbangboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:28 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
Al Morganti was just saying on 610 WIP that he thought they were close yesterday. He said Scott Howson and Craig Patrick don't hold long meetings like that for nothing. I guess we'll see.
They were close until Bryz went Mr Softee.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:37 PM
ONTHEFLYGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
Ya so close he's in a diffrent town meeting with a diffrent gm

ONTHEFLYGUY is offline   Reply With Quote