HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers are interested in Nash (McKenzie: Rangers/Kings Strongest Suitors) PART II

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
7.8 million. some valuable players, prospect, and a draft pick. a potentially good draft pick. Think. are you guys willing to throw that all out for almost 8 million dollars a year for one player who will tie us in proverbial knots for the next 4-6 years? Or would you like to keep players, meaning we don't get nash, but maybe a rental like Selanne who is cheap, or maybe even trade for bobby ryan, who's half the price of rick nash, and has much more potential... Or even sign Parise.. Think. I say no to nash. if his contract was like 3 million less I'd think differently

Old
02-19-2012, 10:12 AM
h0ckeyman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Same can be said for Hossa, he's a complimentary player and a very good one. Nash makes a good team better, not many players make bad teams good.
Don't compare Nash and Hossa. Hossa does everything and is a COMPLETE 2 way player. Hossa is FAR superior to Nash.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Aileen C*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
When does this huge name move ever work for the Rangers? The list of overpaid busts this team has acquired over the year's is a yard long. And anyone who's gonna sit there and say Richards hasn't been another disappointment is lying to themselves.
Incredibly well said.

People responded to me and you with the same comment about the future being yet to be seen.

But we've already seen it in the past.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
Bingo! Just because he has the skill set to be one, doesn't mean that he is. He as gotten a free pass because of his mixture of talent and size, but just look at his numbers, he is a first line player sure, but he is far from elite.
And who does he play with? A bunch of 3rd liners his whole career. While Hossa has been surrounded by all stars his whole career.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Yep, Hossa is one guy who, if he was 2-3 years younger, I would trade a massive package for. Especially to get him here with Gaborik.

He is an elite two way player, can kill penalties, and is in a borderline illegal retirement deal.

His 40 goal days appear to be behind him, though.

bubba5

Quote:
Same can be said for Hossa, he's a complimentary player and a very good one. Nash makes a good team better, not many players make bad teams good.
Unmm Hossa has been to the postseason a few times

Old
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerfan View Post
And who does he play with? A bunch of 3rd liners his whole career. While Hossa has been surrounded by all stars his whole career.
You think playing with the better players will make him better (Maybe.) But the spotlight in NY is 5000 times the brightness and size of that in columbus. He will **** the bed

Old
02-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Don't compare Nash and Hossa. Hossa does everything and is a COMPLETE 2 way player. Hossa is FAR superior to Nash.
Did I compare them in anyway? I said they are complimentary players. They can't carry a team but they can improve them. Awesome
interpretation though!

Old
02-19-2012, 10:17 AM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
An "Elite" player would make those players better, and find a way to score no matter what.

Old
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
You think playing with the better players will make him better (Maybe.) But the spotlight in NY is 5000 times the brightness and size of that in columbus. He will **** the bed
I've always heard the lighting in MSG is actually very dim..

(ok bad joke haha)

Who knows how he will perform under the spotlight, but he did pretty good with it during the Olympics..

Old
alkurtz

Although I am totally opposed to trading for Nash, I think most of you are way off base with your assessment of him.

Almost every time I have seen him play I have come away super impressed with his talent level. This guy has monster talent.

Sure he is stagnating in CLB and never had the chance to play for a contending team with others on his talent level (except in the Olympics), but I have little doubt that if he were to land on an elite team, with talented forwards, in a contending and playoff situation, that his game would go to another level. He is dying in Columbus and has never really had the opportunity to take his game to that level.

Hopefully, that will not be here. But anyone who wouldn't want him on his team is just wrong.

Old
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
link?

ive seen it reported everyone expect the player portion to decrease, havent seen the cap expected to drop immediately. agian, you cant do that. youd have 1/3rd of the teams immediately over the cap, forced to Chicago their teams to get under. it would be a nightmare.
I could be mistaken but I thought I have seen RangerBoy post quite a few of them over the past few months.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Jumbo*

Quote:
An "Elite" player would make those players better, and find a way to score no matter what.
Im not calling him elite. But he is definitly a star/superstar.

I would be confident he could put up 40 goals again on the right team. Is that team NY? Anyone's guess.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Rangers don't need a guy who can carry the team though. We need someone who can score goals on the power play.

Right now our top PP unit has Gaborik, Richards, Del Zotto, and Callahan, and Stepan.

What we need is sniper; a Carter, Cammalleri type shoot-first type thinker to take Stepan's spot, and move Stepan back into a role on the 2nd unit, replacing Johnny Mitchell who has been there recently. That would give our 2nd unit some legitimacy as well.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:20 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohf View Post
No he hasn't. If not "we should only trade for previous cup winners" is the winning argument.

That being said, I still don't think NYR wanna pay what Colombus want. Nor should they. But the discussion is if he's an upgrade or not and to me he is, without a doubt. Even if he "haven't won anything". Just a lame argument.

If he's belived to be the missing piece in the team that take us all the way, then you pay what it takes, if not, pass. Winning is everything.
Ok, so now you just wanna make stuff up as you go along.

Where did I say he had to win a Cup?

"Not winning" was ONE of the reasons. Not THE reason. If he had carried his team to the playoffs, had dominant postseason showings or had multiple postseason awards, then it might make the idea of him being a Ranger tantalizing.

So let me repeat for those keeping score at home why I dont want Nash (Refer to Posts #475 and #688):

1) I'd rather use the assets on Weber or Suter
2) I think he's overrated
3) He wont be playing his natural position
4) He might bump Callahan or Gaborik to suit his natural position
5) He's grossly overpaid
6) He hasn't won anything

Sorry you don't agree with No. 6 -- You call my argument "lame", yet I'm not the one who mentioned the 2005 World Championships

Old
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
Get the youtube videos and visions of Nash posterizing Henrik out of your head.

He's overrated. You're hedging your bets on Nash becoming a 35-plus goal scorer simply by pairing him with Richards or on the top line.

Easier said than done. Rangers fans should know this. Watch Nash go goal-less in his first 8 or 9 games, loaf on a backcheck, and all of a sudden, your 7.8 million dollar guy is playing with Brian Boyle and Ruslan Fedotenko.

Plus, nobody seems to mention that his natural position is right wing, even though he's a LH shot.

So you're going to break the bank for a massively overpaid guy who has never won anything in 10 years, gut your assets in half, and either play him out of position or displace Gaborik or Callahan from the top-6?

Nope. No thanks. Nash is a good player. A very good player, but he's not an elite player you acquire to become a perennial Cup contender or Cup winner. I dont buy into the whole "his teams have stunk" hogwash one bit. For a 1st overall pick who played almost his entire career in the post-Dead Puck era, one season of 70-plus points doesnt cut it.
Ugh dude. Why. I had just finally come around on the get Rick Nash to NYR train. Then you go ahead and give me nightmares about that. I can just see ever vein in Torterellas head looking like it will burst as he lets a fit of rage fly at Rick Nash for not back checking.

Old
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Unmm Hossa has been to the postseason a few times
On teams where he wasn't the best player, or at least not the only 1st line player. My point was that he improves good teams. Hossa is awesome I take him 10/10 times over Nash. But I'm saying I feel like Nash is similar as far as being complimentary.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:22 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
What have you won?
Come on, dude. grow up.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

Quote:
I've always heard the lighting in MSG is actually very dim..

(ok bad joke haha)

Who knows how he will perform under the spotlight, but he did pretty good with it during the Olympics..
I see what you mean with the Olympics, but that was only a few games. Playing 41 games in one of the loudest and toughest arenas (MSG and the fans can let em hear it, we know this.) Plus, playing the atlantic division, the toughest divison to win.... It may screw him up. He's said he likes lesser markets too. That's why i think he'll blow a fuse here

Old
02-19-2012, 10:23 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Yeah I don't think Ive ever seen something like that before. It doesn't make any sense. It gives Holmgren the upperhand considering Howson clearly wants what the Flyers have such as Schenn, Coutourier, JVR and Bobrovsky. (I couldn't think of any other reason that Howson would push Nash on the Flyers)
Maybe its a face saving move to acquire Coutourier back, like Toronto getting their 1st back for Kaberle. Steep price for Nash, but with the other pieces its a decent rebuild. Or maybe they'll re-assemble last season's Flyers in an attempt to get Carter going.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Come on, dude. grow up.
I wasn't being childish. If you're going to discredit accomplishments like WC Gold, WC MVP, and Olympic Gold I want to know what crowning achievements you've been a part of. It's the only way I could take you seriously.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:24 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Haven't seen it

Quote:
The obvious issue is that most teams believe the cap will go down in the new CBA as owners try to scale back the players’ percentage of revenues (the players will have a mighty say in that, however).

So, you could have a situation where the cap is around $69 million for the summer and then much lower come the fall with a new CBA (again, the players will have a say in that).

This will force teams to come up with their own internal cap number based solely on guesswork this summer, because the last thing a team wants is to have a $69 million payroll on Aug. 30 and then be told it needs to shed a chunk of it come the new CBA in the fall.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...kely-to-happen

Quote:
The piece of the pie: The NFL's recent labor deal saw players clawed back to 47 percent of the revenue. And there are those who believe the NBA players will be backed up close to, and perhaps to less than, 50 percent as well once that labor deal is eventually done. The NHL is paying close attention while trying not to outwardly drool. In the current deal, the players will get 57 percent of the pie this year. The league, one would guess, will cite the NFL and NBA as examples to try to lower that percentage. The players in turn will fight mighty hard against it. After all, they gave up the big one six years ago in the salary cap. Either way, the percentage of the pie is likely where the biggest battle will ensue. The lower the percentage to the players, the lower the salary cap will be -- hence lower salaries.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/preview2011/s...ning-agreement

Old
02-19-2012, 10:31 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Some of you guys need to put the shoe on the other foot.

Try to ask yourselves: what do Columbus fans want? It hasnt been a good period for Ohio sports -- Tressel, Lebron, the Indians, Cavs, Browns and Jackets always suck.

Now, you got the face of their lone NHL franchise being shopped around, and you want a King's ransom.

If I'm Howson, here's my list in order of prominence and salary management:

1) Macdonagh
2) Stepan
3) Staal
4) Del Zotto
5) Kreider
6) Erixon
7) Miller (Ohio native)
8) Macilrath
9) Anisimov
10) Dubinsky

So let's stop clowning around and think a guy with his job on the line will trade the franchise's one meal ticket for MZA, friggin Thomas, a concussed Sauer and the 30th overall pick.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:34 AM
bubba5

Quote:

Try to ask yourselves: what do Columbus fans want? It hasnt been a good period for Ohio sports -- Tressel, Lebron, the Indians, Cavs, Browns and Jackets always suck.

Now, you got the face of their lone NHL franchise being shopped around, and you want a King's ransom.

1) Macdonagh
2) Stepan
3) Staal
4) Del Zotto
5) Kreider
6) Erixon
7) Miller (Ohio native)
8) Macilrath
9) Anisimov
10) Dubinsky

So let's stop clowning around and think a guy with his job on the line will trade the franchise's one meal ticket for MZA, friggin Thomas, a concussed Sauer and the 30th overall pick.
Yup. Although maybe Redden gets it done! Lol

Old
02-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:

1) Macdonagh
2) Stepan
3) Staal
4) Del Zotto
5) Kreider
6) Erixon
7) Miller (Ohio native)
8) Macilrath
9) Anisimov
10) Dubinsky

You forgot Wolski.

Closed Thread