HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

RaphaŽl Diaz

Old
02-19-2012, 10:21 AM
EmelinHipCheck

vCash: 500
RaphaŽl Diaz

Sorry if there's already a thread about him.
Leads rookies in shots blocked (93) and second amongst rookie defensemen in points (16).
I really want to know who scouted this guy ? Who brought him here ?
Thoughts on him ?

EmelinHipCheck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Metropolit helped in him signing here. He talked to him about the city, team, staff, etc and it helped Diaz choose here.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:25 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Pretty sure Timmins scouted him, he's been a pleasant surprise this year as I expected him to play most the year in the AHL.

Been a lot better defensively than I expected, won't be surprised if he hits 30 points next year. Really like the chemistry him and Emelin have when they play together.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:27 AM
EmelinHipCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Metropolit helped in him signing here. He talked to him about the city, team, staff, etc and it helped Diaz choose here.
Metro ! Bring this missing tooth ******* back !

EmelinHipCheck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Pretty sure Timmins scouted him, he's been a pleasant surprise this year as I expected him to play most the year in the AHL.

Been a lot better defensively than I expected, won't be surprised if he hits 30 points next year. Really like the chemistry him and Emelin have when they play together.
I am also a fan of the Emelin - Diaz pairing: (1) they complement each other very well and (2) I prefer Emelin on the left side.

At first I thought that Weber, Diaz and Saint-Denis made each other redundant: long story short, I saw them as the same player!

I have limited knowledge regarding Saint-Denis (I liked his play during his short NHL stint) but Diaz separated himself, in a positive way, from the other two.

Another good move by Gauthier.

PS Gill's departure implies more responsibilities to Diaz and Emelin... and it is a very good thing!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:04 AM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
I am also a fan of the Emelin - Diaz pairing: (1) they complement each other very well and (2) I prefer Emelin on the left side.

At first I thought that Weber, Diaz and Saint-Denis made each other redundant: long story short, I saw them as the same player!

I have limited knowledge regarding Saint-Denis (I liked his play during his short NHL stint) but Diaz separated himself, in a positive way, from the other two.

Another good move by Gauthier.

PS Gill's departure implies more responsibilities to Diaz and Emelin... and it is a very good thing!
Bingo! Emelin on the left is why that pairing needs to be played. They could be real good together. I think it would help emelin rack up some points as well, his passing in the offensive zone is really crsip, dare I say markov-esque? haha

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:06 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveTheKing View Post
Sorry if there's already a thread about him.
Leads rookies in shots blocked (93) and second amongst rookie defensemen in points (16).
I really want to know who scouted this guy ? Who brought him here ?
Thoughts on him ?
I can live with Diaz if he is paired with a physical stay at home

you cant have him and Weber on the top 6 , decide who stays

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:06 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy33Clutch View Post
Bingo! Emelin on the left is why that pairing needs to be played. They could be real good together. I think it would help emelin rack up some points as well, his passing in the offensive zone is really crsip, dare I say markov-esque? haha
They are a good pairing, unfortunately our second pairing right now.

Ideally they are our third pairing, IMO.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Forsead

Probably this guy

Christer Rockstrom
Scout - Europe pros and amateur

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I'm not a big fan, but his play has surprised me nonetheless. He's a bit on the soft side along the boards and sometimes is a turnover machine, but he's got that Mark Streit style to him that is hard to deny.

Between him and Weber, I choose him.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:14 AM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
I can live with Diaz if he is paired with a physical stay at home

you cant have him and Weber on the top 6 , decide who stays
I hope they deal Weber. I feel hes the weakest link in our D in terms of development. Subban, Emelin, Diaz are all better and will be better. That being said, I think he has talent but needs a different look to blossom. Hopefully he gets dealt to a team that will play him, because he could fetch a decent pick/prospect, and I think he could help a team who needs some points on the blueline.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I'm not a big fan, but his play has surprised me nonetheless. He's a bit on the soft side along the boards and sometimes is a turnover machine, but he's got that Mark Streit style to him that is hard to deny.

Between him and Weber, I choose him.
The Mark Streit style where you seem to be stressed as **** with the puck.

Lars Mon Amour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:34 AM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

I like him. Keep him.

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:45 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post

Doubtful, or at least not extensively. Timmins' main job as head scout isn't to scout every player, but to give directions to his crew, and to gather enough information from them to take the final decisions.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:45 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
The Mark Streit style where you seem to be stressed as **** with the puck.
God I hated Streit. Diaz is already 10 times better than Streit will ever be defensively.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
God I hated Streit. Diaz is already 10 times better than Streit will ever be defensively.
I hated Streit and I don't really like Diaz. And Weber too.

All from Switzerland.

Lars Mon Amour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:20 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
I hated Streit and I don't really like Diaz. And Weber too.

All from Switzerland.
Diaz is pretty good for what he is.

I don't know what there is to hate, at his salary he's worth the price of admission. Solid bottom pairing guy that can play generally mistake free defense and add a little offensive flair as well. He's a solid #6 guy on *most* teams.

If his development continues he could turn into a 30-35point defenseman. As long as we keep his salary within reason, he'll have his place I like to think.

I prefer Emelin over him, hands down. Ultimately where he ends up here is going to depend on how Markov comes back, and how quickly and what kind of impact Tinordi and Beaulieu make (these guys will be in the lineup within 2-3 years) and maybe even Morgan Ellis.

Definitely keep Diaz and trade Weber, IMO.

Old
02-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Prendan Brust

Diaz is older and more developed than Weber, he's also smarter with the puck. Still I think that Weber has more raw tools and given his age, I think it would be a mistake to give up on him. I hope they wont do a Dustin Boyd type trade for Weber.

Prendan Brust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:30 PM
dcyhabs

The habs still miss Streit and the Isles "overpayment" looks pretty good now.

Diaz has good games but he has problems dealing with big forwards. Still not sure what his upside is. On the one hand it's his first year, on the other he is already 25 and could be peaking.

Weber is younger than Diaz (edit) and had a better junior career than Subban, but he is also smaller. Question is whether the real Weber is the guy who played some amazing hockey or the guy who then went on a massive decline. I suspect Weber is one of the many young guys (Lats, Sergei, O'Byrne, D'Agostini, Maxpac...) who had problems, at least initially with Martin's methods. I would be interested to see how he does with a coach who has confidence in him.

The habs need to dump an offensive D-man or two and acquire or graduate one or two guys who can play physically and eat minutes. Question is which guys to keep. Could well be Diaz, and they have to make up their mind soon. The isles might make a serious offer for Weber or Diaz if the habs need to dump one.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:37 PM
NewHabsEra*

Diaz is developing in an excellent puckmover pretty reliable defensively, he isnt big but win his puckbattles, his positionning has improved greatly, quick release and accurate shots on the net, not the strongest but knows when to shot.. He and Emelin are forming an excellent second pairing right now, they are pretty fun to watch..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:37 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
The habs still miss Streit and the Isles "overpayment" looks pretty good now.

Diaz has good games but he has problems dealing with big forwards. Still not sure what his upside is. On the one hand it's his first year, on the other he is already 25 and could be peaking.

Weber is younger than Diaz (edit) and had a better junior career than Subban, but he is also smaller. Question is whether the real Weber is the guy who played some amazing hockey or the guy who then went on a massive decline. I suspect Weber is one of the many young guys (Lats, Sergei, O'Byrne, D'Agostini, Maxpac...) who had problems, at least initially with Martin's methods. I would be interested to see how he does with a coach who has confidence in him.

The habs need to dump an offensive D-man or two and acquire or graduate one or two guys who can play physically and eat minutes. Question is which guys to keep. Could well be Diaz, and they have to make up their mind soon. The isles might make a serious offer for Weber or Diaz if the habs need to dump one.
Weber seems to have higher highs and lower lows than Diaz in my opinion. Which is what I'm sure is taking so long for the team to decide what the best course of action is. Weber definitely has the edge in the PP department and in terms of physicality. He isn't a beast by any means, but he does sometimes play with a chip on his shoulder which you never see from Diaz.

I used to be quite high on Weber, and I still like the player. I'm not sure I'm quite ready to give up on him yet.. I'd really like to see Campoli dealt ASAP and let Weber play regularly the rest of the way so we can establish the pecking order for next season and who should stay and potentially go.

Old
02-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Et le But

I still like Weber. He's had a terrible season by all accounts but he's still very young by defense standards. He shows a willingness to get dirty even if he's not very strong, and has proven to come through in big games.

I'd like to keep him but the problem is the Habs can't afford to play him big minutes when we have similar sized players who are currently better than him. I think he will have a legit NHL career, I'm not sure this is the best place for him to develop though.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Lshap

Diaz has become the smartest of our young defensemen. While Emelin's raw physical strength gives him a potentially higher upside, he hasn't yet shown the vision and patience that Diaz has developed.

Weber has shown some surprisingly physical play recently. He's realized the direction the team is going and has shown an aggressive streak, hitting more and finishing more and more checks. Between his shifting from forward to defense and from timid to in-your-face, he's shown that he can adapt pretty well. Most of the criticisms of his play are correct, but a bit shortsighted considering his youth and learning curve. I'd rather not trade him or ANY young defensemen. Assuming Diaz, Weber and Emelin continue to learn and improve, we'll have much-needed depth exactly where we need it.

Yes, yes, I know... we still need a shutdown guy. Doesn't change the fact that we'll need six other solid guys.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Drunk World Order

There were a handful of teams that were looking at Diaz. Glen Metropolit was approached by Habs brass for feedback and he had nothing but good things to say about him. Glen also predicted that he would adapt easily to the NHL game due to his mobility and vision! ...Glen also sold the city to him as well! Thanks Glen! I hope Glen comes back as out european scout as he had played there on numerous occasions!

Drunk World Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:28 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Did someone here just post that he's soft?! Every time he's in the corner, his stickwork is all over the place and uses his body much like Gorges does. Watch him before you spew crap.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote