HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Mcgratton

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2006, 01:30 PM
leavedomileave*

vCash: 500
Mcgratton

Just wanted to ask some people who have seen this guys fights. My buddy says he isn't close to being the best fighter in the league but other then that boogard fight i thought he was the best by far. how has he done in other fights? I saw first hand what he did to domi i only wish he would have ended his career

Old
01-18-2006, 01:37 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

He can hold his own against the other heavyweights in the league, but he hasn't really stood out among them as the best. He's beaten some, and lost to others. I'm not sure if there is a clear #1 anymore.

Domi wasn't really in McGrattan's weight class so I'm not really surprised he got beat down.

Old
01-18-2006, 01:40 PM
Roy G Biv*

He opens up and just throws bombs. Fans love this, but it makes him susceptible to a good technical fighter... and knockout punches (see Boogeyman fight).

I'd say he's just under the top tier right now (Laracque, Brashear, Boogey..)

What makes him special is his willingness to drop the gloves with anyone at anytime.

Old
01-18-2006, 02:33 PM
Sens Rule

McGratton may not be the best fighter yet but he is a Rookie. I think he has made the Sens a much tougher team. He has made it clear he will go withn anyone anytime and have a legit chance to beat anyone in the league and that he is afraid of No one. I won't pretend to have seen all the fights this year but in the Boogard fight he held his own. That was a great fight there is no clear Heaveyweight Champ Boogard is certainly among the best fighters.

McGratton has played pretty well. He can lay hits as well as punches and has some skill. Not alot - He is clearly the worst Sen in terms of finesse, but the fact he has been a scratch only once this season givers credit to his ability to be an NHL player.

I remeber one shift against Philly where Brashear tooled him completely. McGratton wanted Brashear to go and fight but he wouldn't do it and McGratton chased him around for 20-25 seconds and was out of the play while Brashear set up a Philly goal. A goal instrumental in the Flyers beating the Sens that game. He makes some Rookie mistakes but he has generally played very well. He seems to be loved by his teammates and coach as well.

If McGratton isn't on the ice than Chara or Neil can bomb with anyone in the league as well. The Sens are as tough as any team in the NHL. Perhaps the toughest and this is a huge change this season and much of the credit goes to McGratton. I think he will be scratched in some playoff games if the Sens are pretty healthy but if he plays on the 4th line I am not going to worry about his play.

Old
01-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Rico__Persson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboner
I'd say he's just under the top tier right now (Laracque, Brashear, Boogey..)
I wouldn't put Boogey above McGrattan, if anything they are even. He certainly popped McGrattan with one, but other than that he was taking it hard.

Should be a few fisticuffs with back to back Leaf match-ups. I'd take a 5 on 5 brawl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavedomileave
saw first hand what he did to domi i only wish he would have ended his career
That's harsh.

Quote:
My buddy says he isn't close to being the best fighter in the league
I'm gonna go out on a limb and ask if he's a Leaf fan?

Old
01-18-2006, 04:36 PM
leavedomileave*

I'm gonna go out on a limb and ask if he's a Leaf fan?[/QUOTE]

he is but believe me he doesnt think we have better fighters then the sens. He thinks Laraque is the king of the jungle i think he also is an excellent fighter but he can be had

Old
01-18-2006, 04:46 PM
FearTheFlyers

Brashear pounded Boogard, I think he's a step up everyone but Laraque. And those two will never fight.

Old
01-18-2006, 05:19 PM
Rico__Persson*

Quote:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and ask if he's a Leaf fan?

he is but believe me he doesnt think we have better fighters then the sens. He thinks Laraque is the king of the jungle i think he also is an excellent fighter but he can be had
Laraque is indeed king of the jungle.

I think "The Donald" is getting a little too old. I like him to, but if I'd have to pick one, I'd go with Georgeous George.

One thing is for certain:

Laraque/Brashear >>>>>> any white man the NHL has to offer.

Old
01-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Foster

Send a message via AIM to Foster Send a message via MSN to Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Persson
Anson Carter will disagree with this statement

Old
01-18-2006, 05:41 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Persson
Laraque is indeed king of the jungle.

I think "The Donald" is getting a little too old. I like him to, but if I'd have to pick one, I'd go with Georgeous George.

One thing is for certain:

Laraque and Brashear will never fight AGAIN (they had a tilt that was a draw courtesy of hugfest from the Huggy Bear). But both of them, especially Brashear because of his style, are very hard to beat.

McGrattan is a great up and comer, but he will be knocked down once in a while with a great shot. While he has a great chin, he has no defence whatsoever when he fights, to his occasional detriment. But as fight fans, we love toe-to-toe guys like him/Stock (retired)/Peat (minors)/Bonvie (minors), et al.

McGrattan was actually winning the fight before he went down by that one lethal shot by Boogard. In a rematch, I would put my wager on Gratts. He is already in the Top 5 as a rookie in my books. If he learns defence, he has the potential to be a consistent Top 3 guy. If he works on his power punch, he will be a monster in this league.

Old
01-18-2006, 05:49 PM
Kurtz

You know, I've never seen Laraque/Brashear/Worrel/Domi take a punch that would make their eyes glaze over and would have them eating ice, barely concious. McGrattan can't be considered among the greats after that one, Im afraid. A true top gun may get outpunched but he's not going to get Ko'd.

Having said that, in today's NHl where fighting is largely irrelevant, and half of the top fighters are either in the AHL or in the press-box, McGrattan may very well be top 5 by default...not that it any longer means anything.

Old
01-18-2006, 06:08 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz
You know, I've never seen Laraque/Brashear/Worrel/Domi take a punch that would make their eyes glaze over and would have them eating ice, barely concious. McGrattan can't be considered among the greats after that one, Im afraid. A true top gun may get outpunched but he's not going to get Ko'd.
Neither have I, and I watched the Boogard-McGrattan fight. That blow caught Gratts by surprise and he went down, but he was hardly "barely conscious". He got up right away and skated off to the box.

If you're counting Gratts as a KO, then I guess you've got to give him one against Domi, because he went right down after one punch.

www.hockeyfights.com

"McGrattan then lands a bomb and Domi goes down."

Domi looked pretty KO'ed after that one too, but I think he was conscious as well.

Old
01-18-2006, 10:04 PM
SammyTheBull

vCash: 984
Quote:

Having said that, in today's NHl where fighting is largely irrelevant, and half of the top fighters are either in the AHL or in the press-box, McGrattan may very well be top 5 by default...not that it any longer means anything.
Boogard is 6'7" 270lbs if Brashear or Laraque took a clean hit to the temple like McGrattan did they'd be dazed too. In fact anyone who takes a clean hit to the temple from someone with such a size and force behind their hit will lose equilibrium. It doesn't take much to go unconscious.

[URL=http://www.zen36114.zen.co.uk/[/URL]

Scroll down past the list of names and click on the McGrattan/Boogard gif.

Bets site for hockey fights props to whoever runs it

Old
01-18-2006, 10:32 PM
jcorb58

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagneOwnsYou
Brashear pounded Boogard, I think he's a step up everyone but Laraque. And those two will never fight.
Laraque keeps challenging and Brasheur just wants to hug. Big George also pounded Booguard to his knees. That was his last outing. If McG wants him he best be looking out for that big left hand. Sure was nice to see McG lay a lick'in on Domi

Old
01-19-2006, 03:15 AM
Kurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
Neither have I, and I watched the Boogard-McGrattan fight. That blow caught Gratts by surprise and he went down, but he was hardly "barely conscious". He got up right away and skated off to the box.

If you're counting Gratts as a KO, then I guess you've got to give him one against Domi, because he went right down after one punch.

www.hockeyfights.com

"McGrattan then lands a bomb and Domi goes down."

Domi looked pretty KO'ed after that one too, but I think he was conscious as well.
Thats a rather desperate defense of big Mac, Im sure you remember the Domi fight well enough to know that although Mc clearly won, the very notion of a knockout in that fight would be absurd.

Just to simplify it for you a little bit, a fighter falling to his knees or such does not nescessarily qualify as a knockout. For instance Brashear has won fights against Tie where he ended them on his knees with Tie "towering" over him.

Naturally I wouldn't expect objectivity in the matter on your end, but theres a clear distinction between a guy getting knocked out and a guy losing his balance and falling. And clearly, Mc was knocked the **** out.

Old
01-19-2006, 06:36 AM
PlayItAgain

Quote:
Thats a rather desperate defense of big Mac, Im sure you remember the Domi fight well enough to know that although Mc clearly won, the very notion of a knockout in that fight would be absurd.
This I agree with. However your comprehension skills are sorely lacking in this matter. Nyquil was just saying McGrattan got knocked out no more than Domi did, which is not at all.

Quote:
Naturally I wouldn't expect objectivity in the matter on your end, but theres a clear distinction between a guy getting knocked out and a guy losing his balance and falling. And clearly, Mc was knocked the **** out.
For someone who is pulling the objectivity card, you sure are lost.

Anybody who says Gratts was "knocked out" in that fight, is either 1) blind, 2) A Boogard fan or 3) a Sens hater.

Old
01-19-2006, 07:33 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Naturally I wouldn't expect objectivity in the matter on your end, but theres a clear distinction between a guy getting knocked out and a guy losing his balance and falling.
Yes there is.

Quote:
And clearly, Mc was knocked the **** out.
Wrong.

Old
01-19-2006, 07:47 AM
Bloggins

Quote:

Just to simplify it for you a little bit, a fighter falling to his knees or such does not nescessarily qualify as a knockout. For instance Brashear has won fights against Tie where he ended them on his knees with Tie "towering" over him.

McGratton had his bell rung for sure. But he was nowhere knocked out. I boxed for 10 years and had my bell rung many times and then when on to win the bout. Knocked out is on the mat, unable to get up and carry on for a count of ten, just to refresh your memory. McGratton got up and skated off immediately without a wobble. At best it would be called a knock down and McGratton gets the standing 8 count. If the fight were scored, McGratton took the decision, but for dramatic win, Boo takes it. If these two were to go the distance though I think I'd be putting my money on McGratton

Old
01-19-2006, 03:04 PM
SammyTheBull

vCash: 984
Quote:
And clearly, Mc was knocked the **** out.
Did you watch the video? It wasn't a knockout punch.

These are KOs scroll down to the KO section.

http://www.zen36114.zen.co.uk/

Last edited by SammyTheBull: 01-19-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old
01-19-2006, 03:50 PM
IdiotsPickedMyName*

Is Fedoruk playing tonight? hopefully him and McG will go toe-to-toe.

Old
01-20-2006, 01:50 PM
emo

The fight last night was epic!

Loved how Gratts was waiving off the linesmen! Fedoruk absorbed a lot more punches, but didn't go down. Good on him.

Against Boogard, Gratts was winning big time until that one punch put him down. It happens...

Closed Thread