HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your face when you realize David Desharnais has more assists than...

Old
02-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Undertakerqc

vCash: 500
Desharnais has now become our number 1 center cause he such a great talent. But ideally he would be our second line center. We need to replace Plekanec with a big talented center. We are way too small at center with both Plekanec and Desharnais. I believe Plekanec will be gone soon. If not at trade deadline, maybe this summer.

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Desharnais has now become our number 1 center cause he such a great talent. But ideally he would be our second line center. We need to replace Plekanec with a big talented center. We are way too small at center with both Plekanec and Desharnais. I believe Plekanec will be gone soon. If not at trade deadline, maybe this summer.
I am not sure I agree.....I think there is room for both (in the short term anyway) and still get a big #1 center. I like both Plek and DD, they both bring useful assets to the team in their own individual ways.....Plek is clearly the best defensive C we have (one day, Eller may be better but not just yet). Where DD is a good set up man. the trick (to keep them all) will be to bury Gomez in the minors....but not sure the habs and owners will want to do that.....

Personally, I love a big size center as #1 (a la Jean Beliveau or Mario Lemieux or even Baby Eric Lindros). I would love Getzlaf or someone of that size and skill sets....

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:04 PM
la25ecoupe

A Big C
DD
Eller
Plek

That could be a nice C line up.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:06 PM
icerocket

Give Eller Cole and Patches and I guarantee everyone's production goes up.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Why is Desharnais so much hated around here? He has an awesome talent and his ceiling is still unknown. Elite hockey sense can take you a long way.

With all due respect to Eller, and I know he haven't been put in a situation to thrive offensively, he does not possess that elite passing skills that makes Desharnais lethal in the offensive zone. Eller will be a bigger Plekanec, maybe a tad higher offensive output. I believe Desharnais can become PPG in this league.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
A Big C
DD
Eller
Plek

That could be a nice C line up.
A 4th line center with a 5 million contract. Trading him would be the best decision

Old
02-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
, i think you typoed, you are forgiven

Old
02-19-2012, 01:13 PM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
Why is Desharnais so much hated around here? He has an awesome talent and his ceiling is still unknown. Elite hockey sense can take you a long way.

With all due respect to Eller, and I know he haven't been put in a situation to thrive offensively, he does not possess that elite passing skills that makes Desharnais lethal in the offensive zone. Eller will be a bigger Plekanec, maybe a tad higher offensive output. I believe Desharnais can become PPG in this league.
DD will get stomped by the Bruins or Philly in a 7 game series.

Old
02-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Just like Martin St-Louis gets stomped year after year, am I right?

The talent is there. Size is secondary. Hockey is played within rules. I believe Desharnais has the work ethic to overcome his lack of size, the same way St-Louis did.

Then again, Desharnais is not our only center. If he has trouble against big teams, then Eller will have to step up. That's the beauty of playing with 4 lines.

Old
02-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
was one of our best forward in last years series with the Bruins, had tons of chances. Plekanec on the other end always seems to dissapear in the playoffs. Again, for us to become a contender we will need a big talented center to insulate DD.

Old
02-19-2012, 01:18 PM
haburger

what if eller and dd keep progressing in the next year or so?would we need that big #1 center people think is so important?no.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:20 PM
icerocket

Quote:
Just like Martin St-Louis gets stomped year after year, am I right?

The talent is there. Size is secondary. Hockey is played within rules. I believe Desharnais has the work ethic to overcome his lack of size, the same way St-Louis did.

Then again, Desharnais is not our only center. If he has trouble against big teams, then Eller will have to step up. That's the beauty of playing with 4 lines.
Ah yes the Martin St.Louis argument. He is the exception, not the rule.

If DD has trouble against big teams then he isn't the #1 center we are looking for.

Old
02-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Lebowski

Quote:

If DD has trouble against big teams then he isn't the #1 center we are looking for.
What characterize Martin St-Louis is talent and work ethic, something Desharnais already possess.

Also, do you have any proof that Desharnais has trouble against big teams? I've never seen him disappearing the way Plekanec disappears.

Old
02-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
what if eller and dd keep progressing in the next year or so?would we need that big #1 center people think is so important?no.
Yes. Eller will be good, but there something missing for him to be a number 1 center. He will be better suited to be a number 3 center in a cup contending team

Old
02-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Et le But

Quote:
You are obsessed.

Plekanec isn't going anywhere, sorry.

Quote:
What characterize Martin St-Louis is talent and work ethic, something Desharnais already possess.

Also, do you have any proof that Desharnais has trouble against big teams? I've never seen him disappearing the way Plekanec disappears.
You mean the way Plekanec disappears when he's shutting down top lines?

St-Louis is a future HOFer. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. It's not just work ethic that got him where he is, he has unreal talent.

Desharnais can get better but let's not pretend every small guy who proves he can be good in the NHL is the next St-Louis.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ekof232

Quote:
As of now, Eller has less offense to his game than Desharnais in my opinion, and plays a much more well-rounded game, better suited for a checking line role.

They (Desharnais and Eller) are currently being used to make the most of their respective strengths. Taking the two physical wingers away from Desharnais exposes his weak board play and questionable defense. Putting Eller with Cole and Pacioretty, as I consider him to have less playmaking ability than Desharnais right now, might also negatively affect the overall production of all three players.

In that perspective, I certainly do not want to risk breaking off a line with good chemistry (P-D-C) for the hypothetical benefit of slightly increased production on Eller's part.So what you propose is self-defeating for the good of the team and our playoff chances in my opinion.

ekof232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Undertakerqc

Quote:

He is not a number one center. But he is a damn good number 2 center for a good team.

Old
02-19-2012, 01:27 PM
icerocket

Quote:

Oh please. Pleks is used and abused during the season and pretty much has nothing left for the playoffs.

Also, I'm sure there are a ton of small talented forwards who never actually made it to the NHL. Stop comparing every small forward to St-Louis. DD has done NOTHING to warrant such comparisons.

Oh wait he is small. That's all that matters.

Old
02-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
You are obsessed.

Plekanec isn't going anywhere, sorry.
He will be gone. Any hockey man knows we cant have two small center if we want to be contending. And DD has surpassed him. ANy hockey man will tell you that

Old
02-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Et le But

Quote:
He will be gone. Any hockey man knows we cant have two small center if we want to be contending. And DD has surpassed him. ANy hockey man will tell you that
There's no magic formula to be a contender, stop kidding yourself. Plekanec isn't untouchable but Desharnais has not replaced him in any way. They are completely different kinds of players.

Size is not the only factor in hockey, as "any hockey man" would tell you. Especially when it can be mitigated by playing with size - it's a team sport after all.

Old
02-19-2012, 01:33 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
dd has surpassed plek?

you are wrong beyond words...

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
There's no magic formula to be a contender, stop kidding yourself. Plekanec isn't untouchable but Desharnais has not replaced him in any way. They are completely different kinds of players.

Size is not the only factor in hockey, as "any hockey man" would tell you. Especially when it can be mitigated by playing with size - it's a team sport after all.
No but when your too small at center you rarely wn the cup unless those center are exceptional talent. Which DD and Plekanec are not. Add the fact that Plekanec chokes in the playoffs

Old
02-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
dd has surpassed plek?

you are wrong beyond words...
They are both under 6' tall and DD has more assists; having more assists means you can handle the same defensive assignments right?

Quote:
No but when your too small at center you rarely wn the cup unless those center are exceptional talent. Which DD and Plekanec are not. Add the fact that Plekanec chokes in the playoffs
If you say something enough times it doesn't become true, sorry.

Old
02-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Oh please. Pleks is used and abused during the season and pretty much has nothing left for the playoffs.

Also, I'm sure there are a ton of small talented forwards who never actually made it to the NHL. Stop comparing every small forward to St-Louis. DD has done NOTHING to warrant such comparisons.

Oh wait he is small. That's all that matters.
Still waiting for evidence that Desharnais disappears against though teams.

What warrants a comparison between Desharnais and St-Louis? Obvisouly size, both quebecers, but most of all, their style of play. While Desharnais is not as explosive as St-Louis and doesn't possess the same kind of flair for the net, he still has that same elite vision St-Louis has been racking up assists with. Some small forwards never made the NHL, right, but Desharnais IS in the NHL, Desharnais IS playing in an offensive role, and Desharnais IS doing remarkably well at it. There's nothing to hate from that guy. Also, he has a great work ethic, same goes for St-Louis.

And my point wasn't to knock Plekanec, he obviously has much more defensive responsibilities. The point is that Plekanec have a well known history to disappear when things gets tougher. Desharnais doesn't. Unless you can prove me he does, of course.

Old
02-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
They are both under 6' tall and DD has more assists; having more assists means you can handle the same defensive assignments right?

If you say something enough times it doesn't become true, sorry.
You might love Plekanec, he is a cute player, but the fact are the facts, he just cannot be counted on in big games. You might not believe me, but this guys is gone. He is not resigning a contract and he will be dealt before his contract expire. he will be replaced by a big center. The writing is on the wall, wether or not you want to see it.