HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Last night's shootout

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2006, 09:18 AM
Golden Slumbers

vCash: 500
Last night's shootout

Okay, am I the only one who feels like the Sens really aren't taking the shootout seriously enough? After scoring the late goal to tie it up, you would think they'd be chomping at the bit to put some moves down on Giguere.

Instead, three weak wrist shots that bounce off the pads. The SO losses to the Canucks and Habs were pretty much the same thing. And surprise surprise, the only Duck to beat Hasek....deked!

I thought at least one of the three could TRY it.

Old
01-20-2006, 09:20 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I've watched Giguere a couple of times in the shootout this year and he's been awful. The Sens made him look great last night, Alfie and Heatley looked like they didn't care.

I understand the reasoning behind putting Eaves in there, seeing as he was the hot player going into it, but I would have liked to have seen Vermette. He's been money on breakaways this year.

This is where we miss Havlat, he's one of the best in the league on breakaways.

Old
01-20-2006, 09:22 AM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

Dekes were dangerous back when they didn't clean the ice. Players often lost control of the puck and didn't get a shot off at all.

Now they run the Zamboni, and dekes seem to work more often.

What annoys me is that not one of the three players tried a fake or a deke at all.

Giguere was good, but I don't think our team challenged him enough in the SO.

Another important issue is to deke with speed. I remember Spezza awhile back did the slowest deke in the history of the world (besides Jason Allison). I believe it was against Alex Auld.

The results speak for themselves: 3 losses in our last 3 SOs.

That's inexcusable for a team with the scoring we have and the goaltending we have.

Old
01-20-2006, 09:24 AM
Golden Slumbers

My thoughts exactly.

I had no problem with Eaves shooting, he certainly earned it. And i realize our guys were probably trying to pick that magic spot right above the pad when the goalie goes down like the Habs did to us in our SO loss against them.

But damn, it just seemed like such a lacklustre, anti-climactic way to end things.

Old
01-20-2006, 09:31 AM
morethanconquerers

It's something that needs to be worked on for sure. I didn't see what happened last night, but from the SO losses to Montreal and Vancouver, it's definitely something that needs practice. It seems inevitable to me that we would lose some of them though. People were going to figure out Hasek, Heatley, and Alfie sooner or later.

But in defence of Spezza's oober slow deke vs the Canucks, I think he was playing through his hip injury thing at the time.

Old
01-20-2006, 11:18 AM
Human Megaphone

I'm not so sure about this whole deke line of thought. Nyquil, they have been zamming the ice since the pre-season (at least out west), and the ice is still terrible. That makes dekes a risky proposition. Having said that, maybe there is something to doing it every once and a while to keep goalies honest. Kind've like using your running game to open the passing.

Old
01-20-2006, 11:25 AM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Megaphone
I'm not so sure about this whole deke line of thought. Nyquil, they have been zamming the ice since the pre-season (at least out west), and the ice is still terrible.
I think you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Megaphone
That makes dekes a risky proposition. Having said that, maybe there is something to doing it every once and a while to keep goalies honest. Kind've like using your running game to open the passing.
Well, even if you don't deke, you should fake, or lift your leg or wink or do something.

Old
01-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Lonnie Loach

I think it depends on the goaltender, and this is where the Sens' advance scouting should come into play. Giguere is one of the least athletic goaltenders in hockey. He does not move very well, but is excellent at playing shots and staying square the shooter. Against him, you deke. And, btw, shouldn't Bryan Murray know this better than anyone ??

Against Dom, as a general rule I would shoot it just about every time - the closer a shooter gets to Dom the better chance Dom has of winning the battle.

Old
01-20-2006, 11:30 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I must say, Kunitz really surprised me with that move last night on Dom. That was a top notch move and Dom is still looking for his jock.

Old
01-20-2006, 11:34 AM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
I must say, Kunitz really surprised me with that move last night on Dom. That was a top notch move and Dom is still looking for his jock.
That's what's funny about these "no-names" who do shootouts.

I'll never forget Andy Roach in the SO at the World Championships two years ago.

Often they'll have a "move" that they've practiced a thousand times but that no one has ever seen. Malik is a good example of that.

Murray should give each of them shinny homework to do. Go out, find a patch of ice, practice 1 move each and get it down pat.

Old
01-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Human Megaphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
That's what's funny about these "no-names" who do shootouts.

I'll never forget Andy Roach in the SO at the World Championships two years ago.

Often they'll have a "move" that they've practiced a thousand times but that no one has ever seen. Malik is a good example of that.

Murray should give each of them shinny homework to do. Go out, find a patch of ice, practice 1 move each and get it down pat.
Hahaha, I'll bet Varada would practice "slapshot from the blueline".

Old
01-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Roy G Biv*

What bugs me is that they don't even fake the first shot, or leg kick or anything..

Heatley's move is to skate in with the puck (no stickhandling) on the left side of his body (not going to deke) and telegraph it 5-hole.

This only works on Belfour.

You guys are right: Dekes with speed own. See: Crosby, Jokinen (that was sick), Kunitz etc.

At least look like you are reading the goalie... The Sens seem to have their minds made up beforehand, and therefore have a strategy totally independant of the goalie's positioning.

Recommendation to Alfie: Come in like you usually do, but instead of shooting low stick side (which you have done everytime and the goalies of the NHL are aware of this by now) fake that shot, then pull right and roof it on the back hand.

But we are all probably just bitter that they haven't scored and are reading too much into it. Who are we to give tips to these guys on how to score....

Who was the 3rd Anaheim shooter? That was one of the worst dekes I have ever seen.

Old
01-20-2006, 01:26 PM
IdiotsPickedMyName*

The shoot-out sucks *****, ive been saying it all season. I dont give a poop if we lose them all, that way other teams won't know our players moves when they get on a break-away. I can also view ottawas reluctance to score on a shoot-out as a formal protest of the stupid idea. I'm glad I left after over-time.

Last edited by IdiotsPickedMyName*: 01-20-2006 at 02:53 PM.
Old
01-20-2006, 01:53 PM
BBB

Quote:
It was so effective becauase of the speed he had coming in. Our guys looked like they were barely skating.

Old
01-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
I've watched Giguere a couple of times in the shootout this year and he's been awful. The Sens made him look great last night
As a Duck fan, I'll just say.... we were as surprised as you were.

Old
01-20-2006, 03:01 PM
TexSen

Anyone that wants to see players putting everything into a shootout watch the highlights on nhl.com of last night's Wash/Blues game.

Those Sens shots on goal in the shootout were wayyyyyy weak. Almost looked Hossa-esque on a penalty shot for years past.

Closed Thread