HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2-19-12 : Preds @ Stars - The Pot

Old
02-19-2012, 02:25 PM
MrMariusz

vCash: 500
We'll win.

Stars are no Red Wings...

MrMariusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:25 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Folks need to remember that come playoffs time rookies tend to get less and less time.

Ellis has had his positives but isn't seasoned yet.

A few games in the press box watching won't hurt him a bit.

just chill.....

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:27 PM
klt2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMariusz View Post
We'll win.

Stars are no Red Wings...
We have lost to the Stars badly everytime we have played them this year. They are our achilles' heel. So I'm not so sure about that but hoping for the best. Good thing is the Stars had a game yesterday and so this will be their back to back game. Hopefully that will give us an edge. Plus, hopefully the tough loss to Detroit will be a motivator for the Preds to come out on fire tonight to want to kick some butt!

Last edited by klt2001: 02-19-2012 at 02:35 PM.
klt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by klt2001 View Post
We have lost to the Stars badly everytime we have played them this year. They are our achilles' heel. So I'm not so sure about that but hoping for the best. Good thing is the Stars had a game yesterday and so this will be their back to back game. Hopefully that will give us an edge.
Yeah. There are certain teams in the West that tend to have our number from what it feels like. Detroit, Vancouver and San Jose make sense. Dallas and LA do not.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Top 6 Spaling

4-1 Stars

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
Lol, Calm down guys! It's the first game with Gill in the lineup..let's not act like these pairings are set in stone. It is Trotz afterall.

Ellis can be a liability in the d zone, but definitely makes up for it in the O zone. I'm sure they want to limit his playing time as he develops.
I don't mind them limiting his icetime, I think that's common for rookie players. What I don't like is benching him, even if it's just for one game, when he's been playing well. It sends the wrong message.

Like others have said, even though Gill/Josi is set as the 2nd pairing, I'd expect the 2nd and 3rd to be fairly balanced in terms of icetime as Gill and Josi find chemistry.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:38 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Let's start a new streak. Need some points with CHI on our tail and starting to win.

Go Preds!!!

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:38 PM
klt2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
4-1 Stars
Probably so. But I bet it won't hurt as bad as the last Red Wing's game did

Old
02-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
Pens fan throwing my two cents in here. I'd personally go with these D pairings if I'm Trotz.

Suter-Weber
Josi-Klein
Gill-Ellis

Some of you mentioned that you'd like to see Gill take some minutes away from the top pairing of Suter and Weber and he will. Not only at even strength, but more so on the PK. Right now Suter and Weber both see a lot of time on the PP and PK, but now you can let guys like Gill and Klein eat up a lot of those PK minutes and they'll be much more fresh for the PP.

Just a thought.

Super Sniper Cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sniper Cele View Post
Pens fan throwing my two cents in here. I'd personally go with these D pairings if I'm Trotz.

Suter-Weber
Josi-Klein
Gill-Ellis

Some of you mentioned that you'd like to see Gill take some minutes away from the top pairing of Suter and Weber and he will. Not only at even strength, but more so on the PK. Right now Suter and Weber both see a lot of time on the PP and PK, but now you can let guys like Gill and Klein eat up a lot of those PK minutes and they'll be much more fresh for the PP.

Just a thought.
Thanks for your thoughts. Those are the pairings that I'd like to go with aswell, and I agree Gill will be able to take up a large chunk of PK time away from the big two keeping them fresh.

How's Sullivan treating you btw, and to a lesser extent O'Reilly?

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:46 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I think it sucks that Ellis sits but it is what it is. I like Bouillon, but his time has come. He has regressed this year it seems.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Im just really confused right now. I assumed we traded for Gill so he could be Ellis's D partner. I thought that was just a forgone conclusion. This just makes no sense to me.

Old
02-19-2012, 03:04 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Im just really confused right now. I assumed we traded for Gill so he could be Ellis's D partner. I thought that was just a forgone conclusion. This just makes no sense to me.
As I mentioned in the the Gill trade thread, I ultimately thought Gill would be paired with Josi. Neither Gill nor Ellis are fleet of foot. Both Josi and Klein are. I still think that most regular season games will see Weber-Suter, Klein-Ellis, and Josi-Gill. However, there will be games that call for even for physicality and/or experience (like tonight against a physical Dallas team). When that occurs, you'll see Bouillon slide into old spot along side Klein.

Given what Ellis has shown on the ice, and what Bouillon has shown on the ice, I don't expect to see Ellis scratched multiple games in a row during the regular season unless he falters. The playoffs will be different and likely more dictated by match-ups and the momentum at the time. For example, if I were to guess, I'd assume that Ellis gets the first opportunity against Chicago if that was the first round match-up. I'd expect Bouillon to get the first opportunity against a team like St. Louis.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:10 PM
VFL615*

I would love to see Klein scratched for his constant poor as play for once.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I'm not really surprised to see Ellis scratched. Kind of expected it really. I am surprised to see Klein and Josi split up, but it's not like they were that great together anyway.

I may be biased though because I never liked the thought of 2 rookie dmen in the first place.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:22 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I'm not really surprised to see Ellis scratched. Kind of expected it really. I am surprised to see Klein and Josi split up, but it's not like they were that great together anyway.

I may be biased though because I never liked the thought of 2 rookie dmen in the first place.
I think this is obviously just trotzs first trial game with his new bunch of defenseman. He always goes with the vets. so if the playoffs started today i think this would be the d pairings we would see. At least Ellis scratched until we needed some offensive power from the back end. Lets see what tonight brings and i hope to see ellis in next game whether we win or not.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:27 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
I don't mind them limiting his icetime, I think that's common for rookie players. What I don't like is benching him, even if it's just for one game, when he's been playing well. It sends the wrong message.

Like others have said, even though Gill/Josi is set as the 2nd pairing, I'd expect the 2nd and 3rd to be fairly balanced in terms of icetime as Gill and Josi find chemistry.
So many on this board equate playing well with scoring goals. He was benched a couple of games ago because he was activating at the wrong time. He's a defenseman, so his first priority should be defense, not generating offense. Pinching down to help in certain situations is necessary. Weber and Suter do it all the time. But they get back to the blue line quickly. Ellis hasn't developed that instinct yet. During a recent interview he described his style as high risk, high reward. That's never, ever, ever going to sit well with Trotz.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Here's what I'm frustrated by:

We got Gill, in part, to help our struggling PK. Ellis has majorly helped our PP. We could have a very good set of D for both of those if Trotz did this right. This team with very effective PK and PP would be deadly.

PP: Weber-Suter, Josi-Ellis
PK: Weber-Suter, Klein-Gill

Evenly spread minutes over our bottom four. we would have Weber and Suter, then 2 offensive guys and 2 defensive guys. It makes sense. Instead, Trotz goes with Weber and Suter, then 3 defensive guys and one offensive one. One D pairing now has not offensive fire power and is one dimensional. In addition, our PP unit gets messed up horribly since one of the 3 defensive guys has to play on it. Our perfect balance on the backend is gone.

PP: Weber-Suter, Josi-Klein/Boullion/Gill ()
PK: Weber-Suter, Klein-Gill: Boullion's defensive ability is wasted

I just don't get it. We have a great top pair, then a balnced bottom four with 2 OFD and two DFD perfectly set up, and we won't use it.

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 02-19-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old
02-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Ellis has 2 PP points and only plays on the 2nd unit which rarely scores, so he really hasn't been that much of a help. Our PP is great this year because of the big boys.

Yeah I agree with beatmypekka that this is likely 1 of many trial runs. Ellis will get another shot.

Last edited by TMI: 02-19-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: No need for that
Old
02-19-2012, 03:46 PM
predwings

With this many D-men we are just testing pairings and matching against the stars lineup.

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:52 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Ellis has 2 PP points
He has 4

2g 2a

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
He has 4

2g 2a
Whoops my bad. Point still stands though.

Old
02-19-2012, 03:55 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
He has 4

2g 2a
That a boy hit them with facts.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:09 PM
klt2001

http://predators.nhl.com/club/podcas...id=DL|NSH|home

Old
02-19-2012, 04:22 PM
preds1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by predwings View Post
With this many D-men we are just testing pairings and matching against the stars lineup.
The Trotz has spoken.

Surprised by it, but do agree with the above.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote