HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RaphaŽl Diaz

Old
02-19-2012, 03:36 PM
True Tick and Tin

vCash: 500
Did any of you see the Gazette's article on Diaz and the trio of Swiss fans who came here to watch him play this winter? The link is on HI/O somewhere. Apparently Diaz was/is a big deal over in Switzerland, he's kind of famous...on the other hand, Weber is a nobody... who knew?

True Tick and Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Raphy.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Undertakerqc

Raph has no WOW! in his game. He is steady. Currently 4th on our defense depth chart. We would be a better team if he would be 6th, which should be his position. I see Subban, Gorges, Emelin above him right now. Will wait and see if Markov ever recover from his injuries but Diaz possibly could be 5th by seasons end.

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

vCash: 50
He's been quite a surprise. I like him as a 3rd pairing guy.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:53 PM
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
The habs still miss Streit and the Isles "overpayment" looks pretty good now.

Diaz has good games but he has problems dealing with big forwards. Still not sure what his upside is. On the one hand it's his first year, on the other he is already 25 and could be peaking.

Weber is younger than Diaz (edit) and had a better junior career than Subban, but he is also smaller. Question is whether the real Weber is the guy who played some amazing hockey or the guy who then went on a massive decline. I suspect Weber is one of the many young guys (Lats, Sergei, O'Byrne, D'Agostini, Maxpac...) who had problems, at least initially with Martin's methods. I would be interested to see how he does with a coach who has confidence in him.

The habs need to dump an offensive D-man or two and acquire or graduate one or two guys who can play physically and eat minutes. Question is which guys to keep. Could well be Diaz, and they have to make up their mind soon. The isles might make a serious offer for Weber or Diaz if the habs need to dump one.
How do you figure that?

Weber:
2006-07 Kitchener Rangers OHL 51 13 28 41 42 5 9 3 6 9 8
2007-08 Kitchener Rangers OHL 59 20 35 55 79 7 17 4 13 17 24

Subban
2005-06 Belleville Bulls OHL 52 5 7 12 70 -2 3 0 0 0 2
2006-07 Belleville Bulls OHL 68 15 41 56 89 13 15 5 8 13 26
2007-08 Belleville Bulls OHL 58 8 38 46 100 19 21 8 15 23 28
2008-09 Belleville Bulls OHL 56 14 62 76 94 47 17 3 12 15 22

And regarding Diaz, I like him a lot. There's been solid progress defensively since October. He has the edge over Weber thus far, but I wouldn't deal Yannick just yet. Depth on D is a valuable asset.

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Drunk World Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Raph has no WOW! in his game. He is steady. Currently 4th on our defense depth chart. We would be a better team if he would be 6th, which should be his position. I see Subban, Gorges, Emelin above him right now. Will wait and see if Markov ever recover from his injuries but Diaz possibly could be 5th by seasons end.
Mmmmmm nope...how many times have you watched him he's been solid with nothing but upside IMO ...and he has show some flashes...did you see his 3 assist game? ...Yes he has shown some wow!

Drunk World Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk World Order View Post
Mmmmmm nope...how many times have you watched him he's been solid with nothing but upside IMO ...and he has show some flashes...did you see his 3 assist game? ...Yes he has shown some wow!
his upside is limited has he is already 25, keep that in mind

Old
02-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Keep Your Head Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Weber seems to have higher highs and lower lows than Diaz in my opinion. Which is what I'm sure is taking so long for the team to decide what the best course of action is. Weber definitely has the edge in the PP department and in terms of physicality. He isn't a beast by any means, but he does sometimes play with a chip on his shoulder which you never see from Diaz.

I used to be quite high on Weber, and I still like the player. I'm not sure I'm quite ready to give up on him yet.. I'd really like to see Campoli dealt ASAP and let Weber play regularly the rest of the way so we can establish the pecking order for next season and who should stay and potentially go.
Great assessment. That's how I see him too. But sadly, wathever is potential is, if he doesn't bring his "A Game" more than 15% of the time, than how useful is he really?

Consistency is very important in the pros, and Diaz, while not as good a PP quarter back, is way more consistent

Keep Your Head Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep Your Head Up View Post
Great assessment. That's how I see him too. But sadly, wathever is potential is, if he doesn't bring his "A Game" more than 15% of the time, than how useful is he really?

Consistency is very important in the pros, and Diaz, while not as good a PP quarter back, is way more consistent
Weber is 2 1/2 years younger though.

In an ideal world...Markov comes back healthy and we add a #3-4 stay at home d-man(Jackman Mitchell Allen etc) so Emelin Diaz and Weber are #5-6-7

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Weber is 2 1/2 years younger though.
Webber is not in the Canadiens plan. It will be between Diaz and Webber and Diaz is better

Old
02-19-2012, 04:15 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Diaz -- 38 hits in 54 games.

Kronwall with the Red Wings is similar in size and has 93 hits in 60 games.

That wouldnt be that big of a deal but we also have

Campoli -- 15 hits in 23 games.

Kaberle -- 17 hits in 59 games.

Weber -- 31 hits in 44 games.

More reasons to get rid of Campoli, Kaberle and Weber.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:56 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimer11 View Post
Did any of you see the Gazette's article on Diaz and the trio of Swiss fans who came here to watch him play this winter? The link is on HI/O somewhere. Apparently Diaz was/is a big deal over in Switzerland, he's kind of famous...on the other hand, Weber is a nobody... who knew?
yes and in that very article it explains why. mostly because weber came over to NA to play junior at like 18. no one really had a chance to know him as he didn't play in a swiss league for 8 years like diaz...

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Diaz -- 38 hits in 54 games.

Kronwall with the Red Wings is similar in size and has 93 hits in 60 games.

That wouldnt be that big of a deal but we also have

Campoli -- 15 hits in 23 games.

Kaberle -- 17 hits in 59 games.

Weber -- 31 hits in 44 games.

More reasons to get rid of Campoli, Kaberle and Weber.
Kronwall isn't the biggest guy out there but he hits everything in sight, if anything he plays more like Emelin than any of those guys. We need another defense first defender to replace Gill, and someone physical would be ideal, but comparing Diaz to Kronwall isn't fair.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:39 AM
Sebaldian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Probably this guy

Christer Rockstrom
Scout - Europe pros and amateur
Epic name.

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Marksman

Diaz is better than Weber right now but I would hold on to him aswell until we have someone else with (accurate) point shot.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimer11 View Post
Pretty easy to see why - Weber only played in Switzerland until he was 16-17. He came over to the OHL then.

Diaz played in the Swiss Elite League - I'm sure if Weber played over there in the Elite League, he'd be a much bigger star.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:44 AM
StellerEller
Playoffs!

vCash: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Did someone here just post that he's soft?! Every time he's in the corner, his stickwork is all over the place and uses his body much like Gorges does. Watch him before you spew crap.
This. Diaz's positioning is getting better all season and he isn't afraid to go into corners. He's a smart player who uses his stick in the corners and knows how to get the most out of his small stature.

As for his offense. I didn't like his play without the puck early in the season, but he improved so much, he can really get the puck on net, one of the only guys who has done that consistently this season. His passing from day 1 has been good, but hes shown flashes (for example his 3A game) of being a big time playmaker on the blueline.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:48 AM
De Montreal
help

Streit is a borderline top 10 defenceman in the NHL

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:19 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Streit is a borderline top 10 defenceman in the NHL
If by borderline you mean not on this planet then yes.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Pleky Roks

Diaz has been impressive this season. I expected him to spend the season in Hamilton with a few call ups but he's stuck around and been an important defencemen for the Habs. I like the way him and Emelin play together as well. They have chemistry and compliment each others styles rather well. I hope the Habs deal Weber before the deadline either on his own or in a package for a better player. Weber has potential but he is not needed since Diaz has outplayed him in his first season. We have called Weber up several times and he's even played some long stretches of hockey for the Habs and he still hasn't improved much at all. Diaz has done more than Weber in his 1st season....so Weber is clearly the odd man out IMO.

I think we gotta keep Campoli around until we find out where Markov stands. Campoli is a veteran with much more experience than Weber....and if Markov comes back healthy....Campoli will be easier to move if need be.

I hope we keep Diaz around for years to come!!

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:20 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Kronwall isn't the biggest guy out there but he hits everything in sight, if anything he plays more like Emelin than any of those guys. We need another defense first defender to replace Gill, and someone physical would be ideal, but comparing Diaz to Kronwall isn't fair.
This is the mindset that has plagued the Canadiens for way too long. Starting from the management and down to a large population of fans.

Kronwall hits everything in sight. Diaz shies away from hits.

Kronwall has 24 points this season.

Diaz has 16 points this season.

There are physical DMen in the NHL who hit, score and block shots. Diaz isnt one of them. And that, along with the softies Weber, Kaberle and Campoli, is one of the main reasons we are where we are in the playoff race this season.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:23 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Webber is not in the Canadiens plan. It will be between Diaz and Webber and Diaz is better
Key word for Weber and Diaz is is. Diaz IS better. Will he be better next year? The year after? That's the question we need to answer when making a decision to keep one or the other, or both.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
This is the mindset that has plagued the Canadiens for way too long. Starting from the management and down to a large population of fans.

Kronwall hits everything in sight. Diaz shies away from hits.

Kronwall has 24 points this season.

Diaz has 16 points this season.

There are physical DMen in the NHL who hit, score and block shots. Diaz isnt one of them. And that, along with the softies Weber, Kaberle and Campoli, is one of the main reasons we are where we are in the playoff race this season.
I never said otherwise. Bringing in Emelin was a great move, and we need another stay at home D in the top 4 next year, someone who brings physical play would be ideal for that. But Diaz is evolving into a solid two way player even if he's not physical.

I'd trade any of our defenders besides Subban and maybe Gorges for Kronwall in a second. His positioning is often bad but he's solid on both ends and hits like a tank. I'm hoping Emelin can be our Kronwall, not Diaz.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote